Someone has found my plants - How should I protect these girls now?

I get were you are coming from - you have to word it delicately - but he already has you on camera so he knows you are around and he may be glad to know if someone other than you has been poking around - he is probably as worried about you as you are of him. Good luck - let un know how it goes. How close are you to harvest??
I'm still 12-13 weeks away from harvest, 3-4 weeks till flowering.

He already knows that I know where his plants are because he got me on a trial cam snooping around when I was looking for my own spots.
If the guy get one large grow, chances are, he just as worried. I would be suspicious if the guy only get one or two plants, I heard of thieves growing near one larger grow just for pull the other guy's harvest.

EDIT : As stated, offer up the peace pipe and make one assessment based on that.

If the guy get one large grow, chances are, he just as worried. I would be suspicious if the guy only get one or two plants,

EDIT : As stated, offer up the peace pipe and make one assessment based on that.
When I did visit his grow spot at the start of the season the ground was prepped for 6 plants.

I heard of thieves growing near one larger grow just for pull the other guy's harvest.

Why couldn't they just grow more plants?, lazy I guess.

I don't need to grab any SD card, my cam sends an alert to my phone and the motion sensor activates the cam so live feed video goes straight to my phone and I can see the ripper in real time. I've even got audio on the cam so I can tell the ripper to fuck off if I can't get to the grow site quick enough to stop him pulling my plants.

I don't see the benefit of the wifi cam, and there's more ways it can fail. A basic trail cam from Amazon, night vision, will record who is visiting your plants. If it was just a one off visit, it sounds like you didn't catch that on your cam. If the person comes back, or there's more than one person, etc., you will have a record on the trail cam's SD card. If it was me and one or more people had found my grow, I think I'd move the plants. I'm not a gorilla grower – got my own land and using 3 trail cams.

I don't see the benefit of the wifi cam, and there's more ways it can fail. A basic trail cam from Amazon, night vision, will record who is visiting your plants. If it was just a one off visit, it sounds like you didn't catch that on your cam. If the person comes back, or there's more than one person, etc., you will have a record on the trail cam's SD card. If it was me and one or more people had found my grow, I think I'd move the plants. I'm not a gorilla grower – got my own land and using 3 trail cams.
There are benefits to both of the ideas.

As he explained several days ago, if he uses his trail camera set up and his ISP then he gets warned as soon as someone or something moves into view. It might be an animal or it could be human but he would know right away without having to wait until a day or two later when he pulls the storage card.

Plus, his new fangled camera also has a speaker and allows him to yell at the person, or people, and maybe that would be enough to get them to leave without cutting down any of the plants.

The benefits are I can see the rippers in real time and use audio to tell them to fuck off before they start ripping my plants. A SD trial cam doesn't have those benefits.

Also I cant' move my plants, these are straight in the ground. Even if the plants were in pots I still can't move the pots because the plants are too big.

Honestly I don't see why you don't use both. Try to hide both, and if they notice one you have the other as backup. It's likely that they'll see the wifi cam as soon as you start yelling at them, and they may just grab a few plants as quick as they can. Or they might even take their time as long as you're yelling at them over the cam since that means you're not there. Either way, you do want pics of whoever it is, and if they think you only have one camera they may get sloppy after they find one. If they think you're keeping surveillance of the site they might be wearing masks (not like those stand out too much these days). If they find one camera they might take them off after stealing it, thinking they're in the clear.

I get were you are coming from - you have to word it delicately - but he already has you on camera so he knows you are around and he may be glad to know if someone other than you has been poking around - he is probably as worried about you as you are of him. Good luck - let un know how it goes. How close are you to harvest??
Just ask the other guy if he’s seen anyone on his camera, besides you two. Just say we have to be careful, we don’t want to lose our plants.

I have 4 plants that are part of an outdoor gorilla grow I've got going on in the bush but unfortunately someone has found the plants. Nobody has any reason to be wandering around in that part of the bush, not hunters, not hikers, not anyone.

There is somebody else growing not far from this location and we are both aware of each others presence and he is my main suspect although I can't be sure it is this individual making the tracks through the grass. But I just can't figure out who else it could be, it's still 4 weeks till flowering so it can't be a ripper.....at least not yet. Harvest time is still 12-13 weeks away.

Anyone got any ideas about how I could help protect my plants?
Leave a note and a marker or pen by asking a simple question, try and find out if the person has intentions of ripping. If they are cool about it maybe you can work something out if not I would cut your loss now and take some nice healthy clones and set up shop somewhere else. At least you will have a head start with the clones once they begin to root.

Also, from my own personal experience people that stumble upon something like that will be constantly visiting the area and bring others with them and before you know it that whole area will be combed over in search of plants.

I would cut your loss now and take some nice healthy clones and set up shop somewhere else. At least you will have a head start with the clones once they begin to root.
It's a bit late to grow clones now (flowering is only a week away) but that is a good idea I'll remember for next season.

Also, from my own personal experience people that stumble upon something like that will be constantly visiting the area and bring others with them and before you know it that whole area will be combed over in search of plants.
I'll keep this in mind when I grow next season, I've been trying to think of a good grow strategy to minimize losses to rippers. I was thinking of spot planting in groups of two but this wouldn't work if they are going to comb the whole area.

Flowering only a week away? If its outdoors I cant wrap my brain around where in the globe this would be.

Any how, I dont mean to come across as an AHole, and I might, but this is the most entertaining thread Ive read on the internet.

I cannot figure out how you could end up so close to another grow, like who claimed the area first? As an outdoors grower I dont know whether its hilarious, or sheer bad luck, but I have never in all my days heard of such a thing.

You got two choices. Either accept it and take your chances, or walk away. If it were me Id walk, spend my time scoping a proper remote outdoor area or setting up somewhere you can control, indoors or private land.

If its ripped, or you walk away, dont get mad, its a teaching moment. Just life giving a helping hand to make you stronger and smarter.

Any how whatever you come up with hope it works out.

Flowering only a week away? If its outdoors I cant wrap my brain around where in the globe this would be.
Southern hemisphere where the first day of fall is coming up March 22nd give or take a day. Since many of the outdoor growers in the US start to mention that their outdoor plants are starting to flower around the 10th thru the 15th of August or about 5 1/2 weeks earlier. For most of those growing below the equator they are now about 1 to 2 weeks away from the start of pistils showing and bud forming.

Where in the southern half of the globe is the unknown.

It is not easy to walk away from a spot where the grower has spent time and money building up the soil and setting up a water collection system and had to carry it all in. If I am remembering right this is at least the second season that he has planted in the same 'holes'.

Yep flowering is only one week away. I'm in New Zealand.

I cannot figure out how you could end up so close to another grow, like who claimed the area first? As an outdoors grower I dont know whether its hilarious, or sheer bad luck, but I have never in all my days heard of such a thing.
There are more growers in my small town than grow areas. I've got plants in three different spots and all three spots have other growers nearby but I'm friendly with the other two growers, I've never met this particular grower.

It is not easy to walk away from a spot where the grower has spent time and money building up the soil and setting up a water collection system and had to carry it all in. If I am remembering right this is at least the second season that he has planted in the same 'holes'.
First time growing in this particular area. I'm also growing in my area from last season.

Yes it's too hard to walk away from a spot that took me a lot of hard work to prep, running in 10 x 30L compost bags at 3AM, digging up the area and removing giant plant roots, a lot of blood, sweat and tears went into prepping these spots.

Back
Top Bottom