Super Lemon Haze & Pure Kush

Thanks for trying to put my mind at ease bud.

I agree on the HPS vs CFL. I run my grows straight from HPS at full power, just with the light high up and then gradually reduce height over 2 weeks. Explosive growth.

Here's an update on my other 2 plants outdoors. Well I bring them inside at night next to CFLs to keep em going. I topped them earlier & placed the cuttings in water to see if roots develop. It can take a couple of weeks I believe.

before topping:
IMG_53656.JPG

topped:
IMG_53663.JPG

cuttings:
IMG_53671.JPG

Not quite sure what to do with them...I might try to veg them throughout the whole summer although I need to keep them well hidden. I'll keep going as long as I can & if need be I can always get rid of them (did I just say that?) or cut em down to a small size.

Will see, this might turn out to be interesting. I hope.

:grinjoint:

I sprayed earlier & again not one spider mite to be seen. This will be the 5th time every 3 days with rosemary oil & I think we can safely declare the war to be over & won. I'll keep spraying another few times though when I water but only a gentle mist. We are in week 5 of flower & I plan to harvest both strains at weeks 10 & 11.

On another note, the last few watering's with my usual 3L amount I noticed hardly any runoff. It seems I need to increase their intake to 4L or even 5L. They're in 11L fabric pots though? I may have really piled in the soil making it closer to 15L, im sure those with fabric pots know exactly what I mean. Not that it bothers me of course. I only wish I started doing that as soon as I noticed the lack of runoff a couple of weeks ago I think, but it's never too late.

Oh but did I mention; we KICKED ASS against the so called 'borg' spider mite shit bags! what a joke they were, a couple of well orchestrated spray operations & they're in complete disarray, running straight back to mama with their tails between their legs lol!

Please don't make me have to eat those words :rofl::rofl:

It sucks when circus comes to town. Glad you pulled through.

Cheers

Sent from my SPH-L720T using 420

Thanks guys. I may seem to have taken this lightly but in truth these spider mites are a real pain, just as hozona mentions. I can see that if left untouched they would quickly decimate an entire plant. They really are a foe not to be underestimated. Having to spray 'heavily' every 3 days is quite the effort for an indoor grower, I feel sorry for those with 10+ plants or physical disabilities. So glad the rosemary worked though otherwise I might have ended up going from isopropyl alcohol (or glass cleaner) to bleach lol which would have created another set of problems mid-flower.

:Namaste:

I'm sure your yield will take a huge hit. Once a leaf is punctured it will not perform photosynthesis. It lost its vacuum and will not pull nutes or water up any stems. You might as well cull all leafs with damage. That will paint a different picture on their damage. That is why you need to hit them fast. When you were trying the lady bug thing your leafs were being rendered useless. Good learning experience. I had to learn it too, I'm much better now and have only lost two leafs since my 1st outbreak.

Cheers

I'm sure your yield will take a huge hit. Once a leaf is punctured it will not perform photosynthesis. It lost its vacuum and will not pull nutes or water up any stems. You might as well cull all leafs with damage. That will paint a different picture on their damage. That is why you need to hit them fast. When you were trying the lady bug thing your leafs were being rendered useless. Good learning experience. I had to learn it too, I'm much better now and have only lost two leafs since my 1st outbreak.

Cheers

Hey miller thanks for the input. I always thought that for a leaf to be rendered useless at least half of it must be damaged in some way otherwise it's still functional...maybe not fully but still operational at least.

I agree it's a great learning experience so I'm happy it happened. I wasted a few weeks though as you mention with my 20+ ladybugs...although Im sure they helped a bit it wasn't enough & they weren't laying eggs. Thankfully only two plants (SLH) had it fairly bad but it was spreading to the other's.

Let's hope the yield isn't too badly affected, I was hoping to improve on my last grow which was roughly 2.6oz per plant. Will see...still a few more weeks to fatten up.

How did you create your rosemary spray? I happen to have quite a few rosemary plants in my yard... could come in handy.

Hey tead, I actually just bought rosemary oil from a shop...30ml bottles are really not expensive & 4ml/L goes a very long way. There's plenty of info online about extracting the oil from the plant though. But I think it's a case of filling a jar with rosemary (washed & dried) then submerging it in olive oil before storing it near a sunny window for a month. After that you pour the content through a fine mesh into a bottle & voila, you're very own rosemary oil.

Nope, your leaves are toast. Your right for non-puncture damage though. Watch, they will dry out and shrivel. This is from overheating, bless their hearts, your leaves will try and pull water up the stems with all they got, but when punctured, they will heat up since stored energy can't be used to pull water with no vacuum seal over leaf. This energy will build till leaf Temps get high enough to start cooking your leaf. Plus it a Huge wast of energy for your plant to try and use leafs with holes in them. Which is why I suggested pulling all damaged leafs. This will keep plant cooler and have surplus energy to swell your fruit.

Cheers

Nope, your leaves are toast. Your right for non-puncture damage though. Watch, they will dry out and shrivel. This is from overheating, bless their hearts, your leaves will try and pull water up the stems with all they got, but when punctured, they will heat up since stored energy can't be used to pull water with no vacuum seal over leaf. This energy will build till leaf Temps get high enough to start cooking your leaf. Plus it a Huge wast of energy for your plant to try and use leafs with holes in them. Which is why I suggested pulling all damaged leafs. This will keep plant cooler and have surplus energy to swell your fruit.

Cheers

Ok I understand, I think. So all those white dots where the mites were feeding are actually tiny holes & are pretty much useless? would it help by cutting off only the damaged parts of the leaf? in any case I already removed the one's that were heavily damaged but there's some left with a few white dots...I'll have another look next time I'm in there & remove a few more. Cheers buddy.

By the way miller I use a magnifying glass to check the mites & I can't ever remember seeing any holes, those white dots I mention look like surface damage only where the mites were sapping the green juice...could it be that they were disrupted in time before this sapping turned into actual punctures?

If they start to dry out their done. If you can cut out white dots and leave a unpunctured leaf I'm not sure. I'd ride it out, how far along are you in flower? Just keep an eye out for more bugs. I'd try and find out how they got in your room first. My window is close to tent, since I vent out window it's open some with plants right out side. The smell draws them in fast. It's always mid to late flower when they show. I also know where to look in the tent. It's always the same back corner close to that window.

Cheers

By the way miller I use a magnifying glass to check the mites & I can't ever remember seeing any holes, those white dots I mention look like surface damage only where the mites were sapping the green juice...could it be that they were disrupted in time before this sapping turned into actual punctures?
Leaf tissue is broken when they feed. It's not a hole through the leaf, it's punctured which breaks the vacuum seal and will start getting hot. More damage more heat. Small amount of stippling might not draw enough heat to burn up but is still not helping plant much. There is lots of reading on how these bugs work. Once I started reading about them for a while it became clear what damage they can do in a short time. But you got through the hard part now is the waiting to see how your plants rebound. You are now at risk for mold and other bad things since your plants are now in a weakened state. I'm rooting for you harvest though.

Cheers

If they start to dry out their done. If you can cut out white dots and leave a unpunctured leaf I'm not sure. I'd ride it out, how far along are you in flower? Just keep an eye out for more bugs. I'd try and find out how they got in your room first. My window is close to tent, since I vent out window it's open some with plants right out side. The smell draws them in fast. It's always mid to late flower when they show. I also know where to look in the tent. It's always the same back corner close to that window.

Cheers

Not quite sure I understand your setup with the window, so you can't seal the area around the vent shut? a fan blowing towards the open window can help, at least that's what I do when I smoke a fat joint out the window & don't any smell being blown back in :rofl:

I have a small garden outside where I grow a few tomatoes, aubergines, rosemary, basil, rocket, sunflower etc so I think I'm always prone to spider mites & I certainly will never start changing clothes etc before entering the cannabis area, that's just too much for a personal grow. I have a feeling from now on those mites won't be too much of a problem...especially if I spray from the beginning every now & then. Plus I know what to look out for now.

I'll give those affected leaves a good check & see how dry they're getting. We are currently day 38 of flower & I plan to harvest both strains at around day 70 & 77. Thanks miller.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom