Super Lemon Haze: Take 3

Looking good! I have some SLH coming in soon. What breeder are they from?
Hey, Thanks for stopping by. The Super Lemon Haze is from 420. I have enjoyed growing it a couple of times now. Enjoy smoking it even more. Extremely nice smooth smoke with a very nice sedative high that you can do stuff with if you moderate.

It's been 9 days since my last pictures of the girls. I went on a trip to northern California for about a week so even I didn't get to see what happened.
It's almost like they went into a stretch mode while I was gone.
Definitely see the indica genes in this leaf at this point.

I'm going to need to consult my grow expert and see if i should cut these back to extend their time in veg and conserve on space in the moment.

I feel I will need to consider having Teresita come and give all my plants some routine energy. They blew up!!!
Wow @BTzGrow they doubled in size :rofl::ganjamon:
I know, right?? You should have been here when I opened the tent on Sunday night after being gone for a week. It was not at all what I was expecting.

Well, with the new tent, you’ll have room to spread out. Why waste the growth? You could practice super-cropping.

Only problem is the tent I ordered was canceled. They actually sold something they didn't have in stock and won't have until GGT get's their new resupply in June. I'm going to order from another source and hope it works out.

My biggest surprise is there doesn't seem to be any light damage issue at this point. I am considering removing the mini and putting the GB100 in it's place. Then again, if it isn't broke ...

Yea! The SLH girls have moved into their new larger more comfortable abode. Both had a bit of light damage. Not nearly as much as the Triple Cheese had suffered.

I watered and cleaned them both up. I can see an obvious difference in the growth. The DynaGro mix SLH more fullness than the MegaCrop. This was an important aspect of the comparison to know about. This is the Veg Cycle as they haven't been flipped. There may be some recovery during stretch and flowering, but I'm not feeling there will be a catch-up in yield.

Healthy looking girls bro, they’re gonna explode now :ganjamon::morenutes:

June 20th Flip Day for the Girls. I know I said I was going to wait until the weekend, however! The girls have responded to the move in such a positive way and have really started growing again now that they have head room.
All this new fresh lime green growth has me concerned since the plant tops are at about 4 feet and my tent is only 6'7". I believe I'm going to have to do some major super cropping over the next few days before the stretch gets really going.

I'm at a quandary as to what happened while I was gone for a week in May and left them to their own devices with someone just coming by to water. Before I left they had really short stature with tight node spacing.

When I returned a week later they looked like this.

Between the 19th and 28th of May this stretch like behavior happened and you can see a huge node spacing between 3-4 nodes. I have a electrical consumption monitoring plug on the lights and while I was gone nothing was amiss on that point. The power usage was consistent with now drops. This has been the basis for the real issue concerning their growth.

Now here's what's really interesting. Since I have been back they have gone back to the short node spacing growth.

Weird!!!

If you’re gonna supercrop during stretch it’ll slow the stretch down some bit too - they’re looking super healthy :ganjamon:

[/QUOTE]
I’m going to super crop tomorrow so it will very early.

Anyone interested in a bit on supercropping? Here is my introduction to the technique. I don't deal so much on the actual way to perform a supercrop, but the reasons and places to do it:

DISCLAIMER: This is high stress plant training and I do not recommend it for an autoflower plant. Not that you won't see people do it to theirs, I just don't recommend it. It definitely slows down the plant while it recovers.

Supercropping is a technique where you bend the stem at something close to a 90º angle, snapping the internal fibers of the plant in the process. It can be done in flower, though it's usually performed in veg. There are loads of videos on how to do it so I won't go into a detailed description. Generally, you squeeze the stem where you want the bend to be until you feel the plant's tissue give way, and then lay the upper part of the branch over at a right angle.

With thinner or woodier stems that are harder to crush, I rock them back and forth over my thumbnail until they soften enough to lay over.

The stem eventually forms a "knuckle" at the bend, and it increases the nutrient pathways to the top part of that branch. That's not usually why we do it, but it's another positive result. And if done early in flower (like at the end of stretch when you know who are the leaders), it can result in larger buds on that branch.

Now let's talk about why we supercrop our plants. The traditional reason is that it keeps the plant canopy level, making all your potential bud-sites the same distance from the lights. In this instance, the leaders are bent at the level of the rest of the canopy, usually toward the outside edge of the tent so as not to cover lower growth.

But there are other reasons to use this technique, for both indoor and outdoor growers (who don't need a level canopy).

Besides leveling the canopy, here are two additional reasons to supercrop.

First, to greatly increase the number of bud-sites. Every time you flatten a branch, everything that would have been larf can now become a new top. Here is where I bent an AK-47 branch:

full

And here is how many new tops were created by that one bend:

full

All of that lower growth will now head directly toward the light.

[Note that when you are thinning your undergrowth, keep the supercrop option in mind. If you strip everything underneath there will be no shoots to grow new tops. So if you plan on supercropping, thin with the future in mind.]

And second, supercropping to make room for other supercropping! In this example I bent branch that has no lower branches to grow up, but I've bent it away to clear room to bend a different branch that does have lower branches that I want to expose. (Read the boxes in numbered order so it makes sense.):
full

If I had just bent the top branch it would have covered the bud-sites on the lower branch, so I bent that out of the way first.

And I will often bend a branch into the middle of a plant so the plant doesn't get too wide, as long as there is an empty spot to fill in, or some weak growth below you will be pruning at some point anyway. You can see an example of that here:

Top left was supercropped inward to keep it within the existing outer circle of the plant, and middle left was cropped outward to fill in the space.

One last trick, for those crops that refuse to stay down, attach a small binder clip to a paper clip and hang that from the branch (you can just make out the paper clip at the arrow):
full

Two final pics. This is an AK-47 where I used all these techniques:

full

6.3 ounces and Plant of the Month!

Questions welcome. :Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom