Super nOOB's Grow Journal...1st germ lol

stackz

alright, been reading and reading lately and finally decided to take the dip haha.

I've been ALWAYS buying my stuff...or bumming :grinjoint: but anyway, it got old and I figured I could give growing a try...I mean how much does dirt and nutes really cost in the long run. So I saved up 5 seeds that I came across in the past couple months and figured spring is here, this is the best chance. I took three of them last week and tossed in some fresh dirt in a pot out back in a sunny area by the fence. Well, my fiance used the pot as a stepping stool to get a toke from the neighbor without knowing the babies were in there. Been two weeks and I dont see anything in the dirt that I spread out.

ok, that leaves me with two seeds left. I hit the forums looking for better ways to germ them and came across the paper towel method. I had the two in there about 36hrs and woohoo, I got a baby!!

dscn2735.JPG

so I then planted it with the root down and the head is actually barely poking the dirt surface but the root is about 1cm+ down. And yeah, I'm going with a ghetto setup at the beginning. lol. I'll explain this in my next post.

DSCN2738.JPG

the reason for the super simple grow area is because now that I actually have growth to give me motivation to do this....I'm gonna hack/modify and old ice freezer my grandpa had in the garage (I live in my g-pa's old house...free rent woot!). Anyway, here it is:

DSCN2736.JPG

DSCN2737.JPG

approx1.5'x2'x4.5' and the entire thing is stainless so I dont think I'll have to worry about reflectors haha. I just think that because it's a sealed container I'll drill two 3" holes in the backside and on the back of the unit put two heater ducts facing down for air vents. My only other worry is that its in an un-air conditioned garage and temps in the sun during the summer get to
100*F+ I need to figure out a decent way to monitor temps inside on the cheap and figure a way to cool it inside using one of the two ducts. I was thinking of using one of the rear vent openings with two or three large computer fans??

but yeah, I'm gonna take the next two weeks to convert this thing into a grow room while my plant starts out and isnt super recognizable to anyone haha.

and if I'm wandering in my posts dont worry, bowls are your friend :smokin:

oh by the way, what are these?? I see these in grow journals a lot, are these the things you guys use to test soil pH or are they temp/humidity meters??

11-15-06_0151.jpg

ok guys now it's time for my big question. I may have been reading wrong so PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong lol.

I'm pretty much hoping this plant is male which is super contradictory lol.

main reason...this was my ONLY viable seed. I dont have access to any more as far as I know until I get hold of some swag or whatever. from what I read, the male's are the pollen producers (duh) which I would like to harvest and have for future use. Not only that but I know they still apparently produce buds...just very small amounts and they are FULL of seeds...which is my main goal here. I want to start a seed base that way I'll have plenty of seeds to grow with instead of scavenging.

big question, a single male plant can produce viable seeds?? or are they simply only good for acquiring pollen and NOTHING else??

It would be even better if the thing worked, but only like an ac, not as cold as it would normally get :)
the left side does work and gets -20*F and has no temperature control lol. I was thinking of cutting a flapper door between the two casings and using the left side one as an a/c source if needed lol. I'd have to figure some way to hook up a temperature control to it though...that and it takes about 12hours to cool down lol.

whats a cool tube??

also I just learned last night that HPS means hi pressure sodium and I saw the ballast on one guys and that thing was HUGE. where the hell would I even buy one of those from and would it be like a fire hazard or something?? how hot do they get?? lol.

I'm still trying to learn all this lingo haha. I need to find a lingo dictionary :p

whats a 400? man I feel like an idiot not knowing what this stuff means.

also, how often should I water?? I was reading about the 1" finger depth method but it never mentions how MUCH water when it gets dry at 1" deep.

also, I am using sta-green potting soil with 90 days nutes lol. I just put it in the pot and made sure the first 1" was wet when I put the seedling in. how long should I wait before I re-water and how much water should I use??

also, I've got those two lights on a 24hr timer doing 12/12 on it. Is this too soon?? I have them turn on at 7am and go off at 7pm so that there isnt blaring light all night long in that bedroom haha.

I was talking about a high pressure sodium lamp ;-) 400 watts :) Never mind about that stuff for now.

Just keep the seedling damp, you can use a sparay bottle at first. When she get bigger, water till about 2 cups comes out the bottom or a bit more or less.

You can go 20 on 4 off 18/6 or 24/0 as well at 12/12. 12/12 will make a small plant that goes right into flowering and shows sex in about 3 weeks. The other timing is for vegatative growth. The longer you veg before flowering, the larger she will get..

ok, cool. I'll keep it at 12/12 since I only want a small plant right now anyway. I guess I'll go throw a little more water in the container then since it's not really all that wet. thanks!

I can see the two mini leaves in between the two big baby leaves...sweeettttt

then yeah, I do want one lol. I swear I thought I had read that males also made seeds.

oh well, I'll pray female or cry until I can get some more seeds lol.

Yeah, I know the feeling, if you're really down for seeds you can always just hit up a shwag guy if you got one, ask him for a few spare ones out of a sack.

Yeah, I know the feeling, if you're really down for seeds you can always just hit up a shwag guy if you got one, ask him for a few spare ones out of a sack.

that would be ideal but I've only got 3 connections and they always get random stuff. Its random enough that I've only managed to collect 5 seeds in 1year...and I've asked them too and never received.

my best would be for this to be a female and figure out some way of getting it pollinated so I could some seeds.

Back
Top Bottom