The Beauty Of The Changing Seasons

There are things that I could call inviting about Winter, such as this cell phone shot of my Fire Bush out front after one of the first heavy snowfalls a couple years ago. There were a couple of Doe's that had used that hideaway to sleep for a couple of nights.

Winter Begins 2021.jpg

It's when this crap happens that I start cussing. This is the beginning of the winter of '78, one of the worst winter storms in Michigan history. My son is in the foreground having a good ol' happy time, while us adults are trying to dig vehicles out of the snow. The snow got deep enough to the point that I could not even crawl out of the windows of the house. We were trapped in the house. Snowmobilers were bringing people food. I could not see my car in the driveway.
As soon as my car was able to be moved, I packed up within two hours and left Michigan for twenty years! :laugh:

Winter of '78.jpg

beautiful but how do you use the steps? :laughtwo:
:laugh: I haven't used those steps in years. There's a small deck there, it has been taken over by that bush (tree it seems). I keep wanting to trim that back, but the birds build nests in there and they use it for shelter during the winter. They eat the berries that it provides during the winter too.
Every now and then I will get an amazon or some other delivery driver that thinks they need to try to get a package up there instead of the danged garage service door right in front of them. It's funny to watch.....

If you happen to see what looks like a tiny little piece of cotton or dust ball on your plants, before you brush it away.....see if it moves.
This tiny cotton looking thing could be helping your garden. It is sometimes called a "cotton bug", but it is actually a Lacewing Larva. They are only 2-3mm in length.
Lacewings are wonderful helpers in the garden because they feed on the critters that eat your plants.
The "cotton" is debris that they collect and pick up onto their backs to keep predators from seeing them. It works very well.
Trying to get a photo of the actual critter while it was moving with that parcel on it's back.....well it was a challenge.

Cooton Bug - Lacewing Larva-2.jpg

Cooton Bug - Lacewing Larva.jpg

Back
Top Bottom