This was a Homer Simpson "DOH!" moment on that alcohol and milk curdling question. Of course it doesn't curdle it, I used Rum in the Nug-Nog with no problems.

DOH!

How is that Sous Vide working out Ziggy?

Awesome! I made yogurt this AM..

I just watched Nonna on Bong Appetite..She made Egg Nug.
added 1tsp kief and heated with cup of cream for an hr.

im going to infused milk/cream in jars for a few hrs with the sous vide..should be potent. :)

"Little Miss Canna, sat on her fanna...eating her curds and whey...."

2nd times' a charm......I have success at a nice ball of homemade Mozzarella cheese infused with Cannabis tincture!

homemade_infused_mozzarella.jpg

Probably could have smoothed it out a bit better....but I was so excited to see that ball come together, I left it as is.

This was done with Powdered pasteurized milk, which was one of the problems on my first attempt. The best cheeses are made with raw milk, which I cannot get here without spending way too much money to belong to a "cow-share" farm.
Processing with pasteurized milk takes much longer, but it can be done.

Here's the leftover whey. I have plans for this. There are many uses for the whey, so don't throw that out!
homemade_mozzarella_whey.jpg

My past homemade mozzarella's didn't give me much problem, so maybe it was the alcohol in this one that caused me some issues.

I'll have pics of what I did with the first attempt in a bit.

Mozzarella is great on lots of things, most commonly pizza. I do want to test the "melt factor" later on a pizza, but I think I will cook the pizza till pretty much done and add the mozzarella after turning the heat down to keep from overheating the THC in the cheese. I will try to post a pic up if I do that. :)

My first attempt yesterday resulted in curds that would not solidify enough. So I tried to reheat and add a little more rennet, which is what makes the curd process (mine is liquid vegetable rennet) and that did not succeed either. So, I strained as much liquid out as I could through a very fine piece of cloth, then hung it up over a bowl to drain out. The end result was a cheese, but it was dry and crumbly.

cheese_with_tincture.jpg

Being determined not to waste this, I put it into a food processor and added heavy cream until it was the consistency of a spread.

cheese_with_tincture_blended.jpg

Now I have cream cheese! I'm going to separate this bowl of it into 3 portions and flavor each portion with something different. I love to put flavorings in cream cheese, savory or sweet.

cream_cheese_with_tincture.jpg

Have you got a recipe book you could send me at all all the stuff looks amazing I'm a great cook and baker but would love to try my hand using cannabis for puddings and food in general like my bbq jerk chicken and coconut rice and peas I use a lot of coconut oil but maybe could mix it with cannabis oil .

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I was all over the links on Google yesterday for cannabis infused mozzarella. The usual homemade mozzarella recipes use either goats milk or raw cow's milk, I cannot get either here without it being pasteurized....or spend a ton of money. So, I stuck with the basic instructions from my cheese making books and went from there.

The Pioneer Woman's site had a great tutorial, she had the "Cheese Lady" there for the demo. :)

:thumb:

Have you got a recipe book you could send me at all all the stuff looks amazing I'm a great cook and baker but would love to try my hand using cannabis for puddings and food in general like my bbq jerk chicken and coconut rice and peas I use a lot of coconut oil but maybe could mix it with cannabis oil .

:ciao: Velk. :)

I don't personally have a recipe book...yet. Check out some of the cannabis cookbook reviews here on the site, you might find one that you would like to order:

I am actually working on two more reviews that I need to get finished up and sent in.

Or a search on google, making homemade cheeses is pretty simple. I highly recommend author and cheese maker Ricki Carroll. She's known as "the cheese lady" and it's where I get my supplies. I got my start making cheeses using her book and her website.

I have not found anything yet that I could not incorporate cannabis into in some way.

Omg that looks amazing ! And I'm using mozzarella right now made a home made pizza double cheese chicken bacon pepperoni and extra mozzarella with a sprinkle of seasoning .. that photo made my mouth water so badly gawd Dam mmmmmm ..☔️.

Omg that looks amazing ! And I'm using mozzarella right now made a home made pizza double cheese chicken bacon pepperoni and extra mozzarella with a sprinkle of seasoning .. that photo made my mouth water so badly gawd Dam mmmmmm ..☔️.

:thanks: Velk

Don't forget to drizzle some cannabis infused olive oil on it! I forgot to do that on the cheese/crackers. :(

I have several ways of using whey, but there are so many many more of which I have not tried. Here are 36 ideas for using up that whey: ( I make no claims on healthy or not healthy. Do a little research on Whey and decide for yourself)

(obtained from "Don't Waste The Crumbs")

36 WAYS TO USE WHEY

Culture foods. Using the methods in Nourishing Traditions, you can ferment all sorts of foods… beets, cabbage, carrots – you name it!
Soak grains. We soak our oatmeal and weekly batches of bread, and now we’ll be doing it with whey. It costs me money to make those (or buy lemon juice), and whey is free!
Soak beans. Just like grains, your digestive system benefits from beans being soaked before cooking. Swap your acid medium with whey, or feel free to add more!
Soak nuts. For the same reasons above. (More on soaking.)
Make pizza dough. Add a sourdough-ish tang to your dough for a delicious pie. Here’s our favorite dough recipe.(get the recipe link on Don't waste the crumbs site)
Make bread. My latest batch of soaked bread (above) was made with 100% whey as the liquid and it was SO good! I’ve heard it helps with whole grains and creating a better texture and my taste buds confirmed this one!
Stick it in smoothies. Whey is naturally high in protein (almost 2g in one cup!) and it’s my first choice for extra liquid when making protein smoothies.
Condition your face. The cultures in whey are acidic, so toss some on a cotton ball and use it as a toner.
Condition your body. Up the ante and add one cup of whey to your bath for an all-over-the-body skin toner.
Make a face mask. Combined with soothing raw honey, your skin will be loving you! More details here.
Condition hair. If you’re washing with baking soda, a diluted whey rinse will work just as well as the diluted vinegar rinse!
Pet food. Instead of throwing the extra nutrients down the drain, add them to pet food for some extra vitamins!
Dog treats. Get the recipe!
Water the plants. Speaking of saving on water, add a bit of this to your watering can. Be sure to use sweet whey though and not acid whey since it might damage the nutrients in the soil so you should definitely dilute it first. Check out this article for more information.
Balance the garden’s pH. If watering the plants is out of the question, consider balancing the pH levels of peas, cucumbers and squash by spraying some on just the leaves – the whey will kill the mold that grows! (Again, sweet whey only.)
Lower the garden’s pH. Blueberries, roses and tomatoes like acidic soil and whey will help you achieve just that.
Add it to compost. A great outdoors spot if you don’t feel comfortable adding it to your garden, or don’t have one to add it to!
Substitute for buttermilk. Biscuits, dressings or pancakes? Yep, use whey!
Substitute for milk. Instead of milk, use whey to make creamy cheese sauce that will get baked and cheese-ified.
Make rice. Although the heat will kill some of the live enzymes, you’ll still retain the nutrients since rice absorbs all the liquid.
Make risotto. A combination between the previous two, you’re cooking rice and making it creamy at the same time. Might as well add some nutrition too!
Make chicken stock. Substitute not just for the apple cider vinegar, but for some of the water too! Trade up to half of the water (or more, depending on your taste preference) for whey and come out the other side with a richer, more flavorful stock.
Thicken gravy. Chances are if you’re making gravy, it’s topping something unhealthy. Boost the nutrition with some whey.
Substitute for orange juice. Whey is about as acidic as orange juice, so if you’re using the juice in smoothies or in baking (like yummy scones or in a quick bread), try swapping for whey instead.
Substitute for lemon juice. Whey tastes much like lemon juice, so it makes a great substitution in recipes or cocktails…
Make a cocktail. Half whey and half juice, plus sweeten to taste with honey or stevia and you’ve got yourself a deliciously healthy drink!
Use in salad dressing. Instead of a vinaigrette with lemon juice, how about a vinaigrette with whey?
Tenderize meat. Swap whey for any vinegar in a traditional meat marinade. Mind that whey will add tang, so adjust seasonings accordingly.
Make lemonade. Seriously. (get the recipe on the net)
Make ginger ale. Yum!
Make cream cheese. Similar to the method of culturing milk with buttermilk, but you’re culturing milk with whey and straining for cheese. (get the instruction link at the don't waste the crumbs site)
Make soda. Again, seriously! There’s a Swiss drink called Rivella that’s 10% whey. Way cool!
Make caramel. Add a bit of salt with a touch of sugar and voila – instant caramel!
Use it as a brine. Feta cheese will keep longer in whey, and you can use it when brining your Turkey in November too!
Make ricotta cheese. The word “ricotta” means cooked twice, which is what ends up happening to the whey when you make this cheese. Here’s a super easy tutorial that even I, the bad-cheese maker, could likely do right! (get the link on the Don't waste the crumbs site)
When all else fails – freeze it. If you’ve got too much and you’re unsure what to do with it, freeze it in ice cubes for later!
Bonus idea – make mayo. Whey will kick your homemade mayo up a notch by lacto-fermenting it. It also allows the mayo to last longer!
But wait – there’s more! The above ideas were spawned after too much web surfing and not enough dinner. Both Salad in a Jar and The Prairie Homestead have a few more unique ideas for using whey, just in case the above 36 weren’t enough for you.

The Whey is the liquid that is left after removing the curds for cheese. You've heard the "Little Miss Muffet" rhyme, right? Eating her curds and whey.....

homemade_mozzarella_whey.jpg

Ahh I see thanks for clearing that up as I was thinking powder

For example, Velk. Here's yesterdays' attempt at getting proper curds. They are not properly solid, as you can see.
Curds are made by adding acid (usually citric acid powder), and rennet, which also helps to curdle the milk and to stabilize the curd more solidly. I did not have enough rennet in the first attempt, and probably not enough citric acid powder. I used crystallized citric acid, which by measure...was probably less of the amount required for powder. I powdered the citric acid using a coffee grinder for the second batch.

The yellowish liquid is the whey:

curds_and_whey.jpg

This is the second batch today. You can see that the curds are a bit more solidly together. They are normally much firmer than that. I am cutting the curd here (yep, now we get to the "cutting the cheese" jokes :laugh: )

cutting_the_curds.jpg

Back
Top Bottom