The Grow Crate build: what’s in the box?

Getting closer to harvesting my 2nd grow in the crate, going pretty well. I’ve shown bits of the crate in my two grow journals here, but, wanted to share the full details for anyone considering a cabinet build. My objective was to build a grow space for 4 plants with good airflow, no odor and no light leaks. The basic dimensions are 3’x3’x6.5’ (slightly under 3’ on one side in case I ever need to get it through a door to move it). Specs are 4” extraction fan with carbon filter, HEPA filtered passive intake at pot height and one CMH315w light fixture which is perfect for 3x3 and I needed some heat in the unfinished part of my basement. The fan runs 24/7 with some noise, but, it is faint and sounds like house circulation background noise. I added some acoustic foam which helped. The walls, floor and door are 1/2” plywood (5 sheets). The door has a gasket all around...I’ve been in the cabinet...no light leaks. The passive air intake is filtered and runs through a light blocking box built from plywood scraps and the interior is painted flat black. The interior walls are primed with mold kill latex and then painted flat white latex, the best reflector. I have a heavy duty timer for the light and three clip fans run 24/7. My ambient room humidity is low, my only nemesis early in the grow...improves when I up-pot and introduce more moisture in the cabinet. Temps range 66F night to 82F day. Humidity with four plants growing ranges around 35 to 50 depending on time since last watering. I’m happy with the results and am already thinking about my third grow, which will be a hybrid. Thanks for checking this out and maybe my grow journals...hope it provides some ideas.

E5415EC5-99DE-4EE1-97CE-99E94D73E588.jpeg
6CFA40D9-4E5D-4F24-8761-62673256F0E4.jpeg
8873E66E-4986-44FC-9A77-6C974FF1D882.jpeg
F7D4F1CC-1DDD-4D60-BD98-6929D35D7EEC.jpeg
2E32E376-E4E1-4F34-8411-FD4531F94D75.jpeg
5804C1A9-3580-451D-8A2F-9DDD77BD37CB.jpeg
02CCA750-5BC8-4868-80B9-B1331E9881CF.jpeg
2B50FA20-5D56-44DD-85DA-37B59022FACC.jpeg
C2898942-3302-464F-834C-F78B87D51E36.jpeg
A1A9E9E4-CA79-4E8E-9D40-9600E99AF228.jpeg

Nice set up :thumb: . My boxes smaller and I didn't have to worry about smell so much as out in my shed, ended up just putting walls/floor/ceiling in my shed eventually but still use the boxes for smaller plants at a different stage. Think there some pics in my first link in my sig on the first page or so, modified a linen cabinet kind of thing I got used at Habitat for Humanity and a couple computer fans for intake and couple for exhaust run thru the carbon prefilter stuff you can buy in a sheet and cut to size.

Nice set up :thumb: . My boxes smaller and I didn't have to worry about smell so much as out in my shed, ended up just putting walls/floor/ceiling in my shed eventually but still use the boxes for smaller plants at a different stage. Think there some pics in my first link in my sig on the first page or so, modified a linen cabinet kind of thing I got used at Habitat for Humanity and a couple computer fans for intake and couple for exhaust run thru the carbon prefilter stuff you can buy in a sheet and cut to size.
Dwight, Im thinking about another smaller cabinet build with fan and carbon filter. A two story version, one to start seedlings to get a head start and the other space for drying. My cabinet is currently used for seedlings through initial dry. I checked out your first journal with box pics and other great stuff. I love the outdoor grow shots.

Looks great. I love how you used the vertical closet organizer strips so that you can mount fans, etc. Being able to add things like that is definitely my biggest complaint about using tents. I also like how you used the HEPA filters, I think I may actually snag one today and cut it to fit my passive intakes. Awesome job on this! :thumb:
Thanks for the feedback. My HEPA does restrict airflow some. But my 4” circ system pulls a lot of air...sucks the whole filter right into its place. My passive intake is more than 4 times the size of my 4” fan duct. Im turning over a lot of air in the cabinet every hour.

Dwight, Im thinking about another smaller cabinet build with fan and carbon filter. A two story version, one to start seedlings to get a head start and the other space for drying. My cabinet is currently used for seedlings through initial dry. I checked out your first journal with box pics and other great stuff. I love the outdoor grow shots.

It's nice to have smaller one(s) for that sort of thing, or it you want to play with pollen chucking you can isolate a male and a female from the rest that way also. That used cabinet at Habitat cost me like $20 and saved me having to make a frame and just modified it from there, that and good cause and keeps things out of the landfill also.

Thanks for the feedback. My HEPA does restrict airflow some. But my 4” circ system pulls a lot of air...sucks the whole filter right into its place. My passive intake is more than 4 times the size of my 4” fan duct. Im turning over a lot of air in the cabinet every hour.

I've been thinking about making a smaller box similar to yours for clones and early veg so that I can use the entire other tent to maximize flower space. Your build is simple and solid, exactly what I had in mind too so it's awesome to see it done before I attempt it myself. I have a 6" inline fan in the big tent and think I will connect the smaller box to the tent with some ducting so that I can run the one fan for both areas.

It's nice to have smaller one(s) for that sort of thing, or it you want to play with pollen chucking you can isolate a male and a female from the rest that way also. That used cabinet at Habitat cost me like $20 and saved me having to make a frame and just modified it from there, that and good cause and keeps things out of the landfill also.

A few years back I did the same thing for my small clone bucket. Went to Habitat for Humanity Restore and got a pretty solid nightstand-type cabinet. I took out the drawers and the supports for them, covered the inside with Mylar and cut a few holes for some PC fans. Wired in some lights and it worked great, I rigged the drawer fronts to a piece of plywood that covered the front so it looked like a normal cabinet. When I moved I had to break it down and throw it away unfortunately... it was fun to build!

I'm a bit late to the show l, but wanted to say nice build! Door looks nice and solid as well!
How's it been light wise? Any light leaks?

Nice design on the intake, well, actually nice design on all of it!:passitleft:

I'm a bit late to the show l, but wanted to say nice build! Door looks nice and solid as well!
How's it been light wise? Any light leaks? Nice design on the intake, well, actually nice design on all of it!:passitleft:
Thanks Rexer...happy to report no light leaks. I used rubber weatherstripping all around the door opening and the light blocker box is doing the job for the passive air intake. Less than 2 weeks to chop.
07F9BCB3-B605-4869-ABF6-9FC24E68A597.jpeg

Damn cr8,
box is so inconspicuous that I didn't see you over here.

I’ve been in the cabinet

Glad to know that im not the only one that has spent some time in the box :rofl:

Besides paint and one frigin 15$ 1x2 for front face frame cause I didn't want to wait till Monday, I was able to use all scrap woods left over from work building custom cabinets in homes. I love that the cabinet can be what ever you want it to be. I went from a little tent that was covered with a bunch of crap to conceal it to my box that everyone walks by and never knows that there is a garden inside.

@cr8grow :popcorn: Looking forward to whats next in your endeavors

That’s an awesome build, I just built a tent, mostly out of boredom, But I was all proud of it but not any more lol it kinda look like a standup shower, not in a bad way, just really neat and clean craftsmanship

Back
Top Bottom