The RDWC Club

So you're using bulkhead fittings?

Another issue may be since you're cutting a radial surface its actually an ovoid shaped hole. This is a big time exaggeration but here goes...

No on bulkheads, using uniseals.. seen them all over the place on buckets but :hmmmm: and yep... I understand the oval part.. I'm just going to toss the buckets into the recycling and go with square totes..

No on bulkheads, using uniseals.. seen them all over the place on buckets but :hmmmm: and yep... I understand the oval part.. I'm just going to toss the buckets into the recycling and go with square totes..
Good luck

Going to join in on the club.. One issue I'm running into in my DIY is 5gallon Buckets and Uniseals.. I have a three bucket setup.. O-O-O----[res] when I did a test with water.. 2 seals leaked.. I redrilled another bucket and it leaked too.. Is there a trick to doing this? I'm using 2 1/2 Holesaw with a 1 1/2" uniseal (PVC 1.5too)

I noticed when I put the hole saw back in the hole. the hole is larger than the saw.. =/ which is why it leaks.. Guessing the round bucket makes the hole not as nice as a square bucket.

I'm going to try using some 12gallon square totes next as these buckets are not worth the $$ if they can't make the cut.

The trick is to drill the holes slowly with little pressure on the drill. I had the same problem when doing round plastic buckets till I got the hang of it.

Uniseals work much better than bulkheads on curved surfaces.
Bevel the ends of your PVC a little and lubricate with olive oil. Makes putting them through the uniseals much easier.

The trick is to drill the holes slowly with little pressure on the drill. I had the same problem when doing round plastic buckets till I got the hang of it.

Uniseals work much better than bulkheads on curved surfaces.
Bevel the ends of your PVC a little and lubricate with olive oil. Makes putting them through the uniseals much easier.
Never even heard of a uniseal. I gotta check this out

b0rker said:
I'm going to try using some 12gallon square totes next as these buckets are not worth the $$ if they can't make the cut.

Def ditch the buckets and get flat sided totes if you are using Uniseals. And with 12gal totes you're going to have some beautifully massive root structure!

IMG_3190_1.jpg

Yep, Uniseals here as well. My connections were on a slightly beveled surface & bulkheads wouldn't work. Buying them wasn't easy as no one in Canuckistan had 2". And then I needed a 3" hole saw. Then I had to get the adapter to use the 3" hole saw . . .

Ian

And Rider . . . thank you for the posts about water & nutes etc. I am still learning. Besides Rifleman's most excellent chart & some old nutrient posts I am running seat of my pants. We should all talk about it more & share recipes. :hookah:

Ian

The nice thing about uniseals is that they allow a degree of offset that bulkheads can't. The sides of the tote don't have to be perfectly perpendicular to the hard pipe. You can kinda see how these totes are angled down toward the drain. And if your holes are properly sized and deburred you don't need and sealant. Some Sil Gylde or keg tap lube is almost a necessity because the fit is TIGHT and that's what creates the seal.

IMG_3182_1.JPG

Yep, Uniseals here as well. My connections were on a slightly beveled surface & bulkheads wouldn't work. Buying them wasn't easy as no one in Canuckistan had 2". And then I needed a 3" hole saw. Then I had to get the adapter to use the 3" hole saw . . .

Ian

You're running 2" drain pipes? Dude... :adore:

You must be running undercurrent?
edit: derp! It's right there in your sig.

Yes. 2" flow that drops to 1/2" for the return. There is a fairly good current in there. Keeps the roots awake, y'know.

And 'personal' lubricant also works well for sliding Uniseals on . . . just sayin' :cool:

Ian

Back
Top Bottom