Things you do to reduce cost of growing!

Here is a video I made a couple years ago showing some ways that I found to decrease your electricity bill by doing certain things around the grow area...

[video]

Some other non electricity ways to reduce cost I also use are:

Buy nutrients in bulk, cheaper cost if you know you will be using certain nutrients for a long time. (organics can get bad after a while though so only certain nutrients you can do this with).

re-use your soil (organic, not sure if this would work for synthetic ferts). I keep a huge 100+ gallon rubbermaid container in which I dump my used soil into, re-amend and let it cook. I also compost my plant leaves into the soil and so far with this method I haven't had to purchase new soil in a couple years.

Clone your plants... If you have strain you like, clone it and grow it again and again. No need to purchase new clones/seeds every grow if you like what you already have.

Gas Lantern Routine (VEG). This is a method where you can get very good growth using only 13 hours of light (saving you 5 hours of light per day). For VEG only, you can run your lights at 12 on, 5.5 off, 1 hour on, 5.5 off and you will see growth similar to an 18/6 schedule but also cut out 5 hours of light energy per day, which over a month will save quite a bit of money.

Always consult with others that know before buying anything or purchasing anything from hydroponic stores. I've spend tons of money on "miracle products" that weren't needed. I always do my due dilligence and research now before purchsing anything to really see if its needed. Many times they will recommend things that aren't needed or that they may get more profit for selling.

DIY is always an option with growing, and if you can build it cheaper, do it :)

Reverse Osmosis systems vs buying bottled water is a huge cost saver. When I started growing I always bought filtered water which would amount to $5-10 per week, then I ended up spending $280 on a R/O system and have been saving money on not only water for my plants but now I fill up my own drinking water which tastes better than anything I could buy.

If purchasing equipment check 3rd party sites like CL or Ebya to see if you can buy gear used vs new. I've purchased tents, growlights, fans clones all from 3rd party used sellers and saved a ton.

Research, Research, Research.... making mistakes happens, but if you can limit the mistakes and hit things right your first time you will save money vs trial and error which can be costly.

Now lets save some Green for our Green!!!!! Hope everyone enjoyed my post.

Great video. Thanks for sharing!

I'm currently in the planning stages and appreciate everyone's tips!

To reduce the cost of my grow, I built the tent using pvc pipe and cordura fabric, hand sew everything. I also made fabric pots!
Mixed my own organic soil, which I reuse. I make lacto bacillus serum, beneficial indigenous microorganisms, fish hydrolysate, organic veg and bloom fertilizers. The plants Im growing have been feed homemade ferts only!

To reduce the cost of my grow, I built the tent using pvc pipe and cordura fabric, hand sew everything. I also made fabric pots!
Mixed my own organic soil, which I reuse. I make lacto bacillus serum, beneficial indigenous microorganisms, fish hydrolysate, organic veg and bloom fertilizers. The plants Im growing have been feed homemade ferts only!
That about covers everything, you just need a recyclable bio-powered electrical generator and it would almost be free!

Im just finishing up an epic grow that I like to call, just add water. Most of you don't believe in miracle grow but the potting soil is the perfect base for an auto grow. The nutes easily last the 3 months needed and a crop King northern takes well to it. I got at least 3 Oz from one plant with a little lst. I did have some lighting issues but started with led panel(48 true watts) and moved to cfls after flowers. I used 2-46 watt 2600 k, with 2-14 watt 6500k. 3 months of just watering. No nutes added nor anything else added. Seriously simple with a cash outlay of seeds,dirt and led panel totalling less than 150$. A little more if u don't have cfls around. BTW the 46 watt cfls are around 10-15$ if u don't have them but they are really effective.

I forgot to mention, I used a plastic tub that holds an inch of gravel in the bottom and one 60 liter bag of miracle grow original potting soil. Try it and u will be pleased with the simplicity.

Im looking in to the possibility of making my grow space run from solar power. Sure there will be an initial outlay but will end up paying for itself. Plus I can make the panels out of the components so can build each panel to my own spec

how much money do you have to invest to produce x watts ? is there really a return on investment within the next few months/years ?

Im looking in to the possibility of making my grow space run from solar power. Sure there will be an initial outlay but will end up paying for itself. Plus I can make the panels out of the components so can build each panel to my own spec

I can spend around £100 on the individual PV panels, solder them together they way I want, probably make them 50w/100w panels. Run the panels in to a few deep cycle batteries through a charge regulator. I can get them fairly cheap, probably the most expensive part is the inverter to provide AC output, they are from £200 up.

Theres also a fee din tariff where I am so if I connect the panels to the main grid any excess power I make I get paid for!

I forgot to mention, I used a plastic tub that holds an inch of gravel in the bottom and one 60 liter bag of miracle grow original potting soil. Try it and u will be pleased with the simplicity.

Hi Kaptain!

Glad to here you walked away a satisfied gardener. My experience has taught me to avoid miracle for the sole purpose of time released nutrients that are in it.
These nutrients are dispelled into the soil the more often you water. This simplicity unfortunately eliminated the control of the gardener and makes it a little more difficult to give specific doses.
In turn, these nutrients are very difficult to get out of the soil despite a quality flush.

I'm not trying to be an ass here. In fact, I started with Miricle Gro before coming here And this is the information I've learned since. What a difference my product was when I switched to a solid nutrient line.

Best of luck!!

:high-five:

Its surprisingly easy to rig up your own panels. Ive got a south facing window and on the window sill ive made a 10w panel connected the a female USB port so I can plug my phone or other USB device in to charge. My place is currently run at 98% renewable powered as it is but want to reduce the power company bill even though they are a green power company.

Point me in the direction! I want to run on solar energy but everytime I bring it up people laugh at me. Or look at me like I have 2 heads because they thing solar energy is crazy talk.

Great thread Dontscrewup. Wish I had it this time last year. I have went thru the growing pains as well I have come out wiser but poorer. I think the biggest expense can be trying to save money and not getting want you need to begin with. For example, I bought the grow package-refelctor, ballast, bulbs, you know the deal, only to have the same problem with heat. I needed the more expensive closed reflector. I also went cheap trying to exhaust air, again, only to buy an 8" centrifugal fan. Sometimes the best way to save is spending the extra dollar up front. Cheap fans only break faster. I have saved a ton of money building my own carbon filters. Aluminum flashing, carbon and a drill, you can save $100's. Auggie is spot on about supplies. Don't drink the kool-aid!!! I love my local grow shops and support them on several things but why pay $49 for a drying hanger when you can make one for $10 or $49 for a keif screen when any craft store sells silk screens for $12. I switched to T5's for veg(local grow shop) and they are super easy on the pocket book. I love saving money where I can. Keep the ideas coming.

Agree Four.

Not only in this environment, but also in life, we make hundreds of decisions every day about 'bang for the buck'.

My formal education is in Business Economics. An analysis that I have often had to make, not only in school but in real life, would be the following problem. I am running 3000 watts worth of light and I am getting production of 4000 grams and the cost is $1000, or 25 cents per gram variable cost. Should I add another 1000 watts of light if the production goes to 4500 grams at an incremental cost of 35 cents per gram? Now, the answer will be dependent upon the final value of the finished product (and the word 'value' has many definitions, not all financial), so there is no clear answer in this problem because I haven't given you all the data, but it demonstrates the Principle of Diminishing Returns. In other words its like, "Fertilizer is good. Lots of fertilizer is better. Too much fertilizer is deadly."

I am looking at my room. I have 3600 watts of HPS lights keeping moms alive and some babies. All six ballasts are about five years old. One is already acting stupid, and the bulbs are old too. They all need to be replaced. Cost ... over $2000. But, what about if I replace them with Gavita lights. I can get away with 3000 watts that will do the same job, at a cost of $2200. Which way should I go?
Yup, yer right, that's easy. Put in Gavita. Costs more up front but will save 600 watts per month for the life (five years) of the lights. Way more than the $200 incremental fixed costs.

The business end of this thing we do is fascinating to me.

~ Auggie ~

I have the space and privacy to take my plants outdoors every morning until around 3 in the afternoon. By doing this, I'm using my electricity less and saving money. And the plants love the sunshine! :thumb:

What about pest?

Spread peace, love, and music!

Is it even necessary to have the exhaust and intake on during lights out, especially if it's not that warm in your room, and plants don't use co2 at this time anyways?

Spread peace, love, and music!

Back
Top Bottom