Things you do to reduce cost of growing!

In the US we call them capsules. You would need to know what else is in the capsules before you use them, probably stay away from that. Like Cannafan said, egg shells are a known quantity.

Oh, forgot something on the original question. Yes, growers do use "eggshell" water on the plants. Just put the eggshells into boilig hot water in a pan or in a jar that can stand the heat, and let it cool. Be sure you have all of the actual egg out of them, but leave that membrane. That's where a lot of the nutrients are.
When it's cooled, just strain it to get the egg shells out. Now you have an extra "boost" of mostly calcium when you need it.

:thumb:

In the US we call them capsules. You would need to know what else is in the capsules before you use them, probably stay away from that. Like Cannafan said, egg shells are a known quantity.

Thanks. Just for the info it is "sea magnesium" . "This pure extract seawater is concentrated to more than 58.8% of magnesium element in its different natural forms such an oxide, hydroxide, sulphate and chloride, allowing optimal absorption. Our marine magnesium is extracted from the Mediterranean Sea water: after desalination and lagooning, it is filtered, evaporated under vacuum and crystallized, without adding preservatives or chemicals."

I'll stay away from it anyway. dosage might be too much. The egg tricks sounds better/safer :)

Here is a video I made a couple years ago showing some ways that I found to decrease your electricity bill by doing certain things around the grow area...

Some other non electricity ways to reduce cost I also use are:

Buy nutrients in bulk, cheaper cost if you know you will be using certain nutrients for a long time. (organics can get bad after a while though so only certain nutrients you can do this with).

re-use your soil (organic, not sure if this would work for synthetic ferts). I keep a huge 100+ gallon rubbermaid container in which I dump my used soil into, re-amend and let it cook. I also compost my plant leaves into the soil and so far with this method I haven't had to purchase new soil in a couple years.

Clone your plants... If you have strain you like, clone it and grow it again and again. No need to purchase new clones/seeds every grow if you like what you already have.

Gas Lantern Routine (VEG). This is a method where you can get very good growth using only 13 hours of light (saving you 5 hours of light per day). For VEG only, you can run your lights at 12 on, 5.5 off, 1 hour on, 5.5 off and you will see growth similar to an 18/6 schedule but also cut out 5 hours of light energy per day, which over a month will save quite a bit of money.

Always consult with others that know before buying anything or purchasing anything from hydroponic stores. I've spend tons of money on "miracle products" that weren't needed. I always do my due dilligence and research now before purchsing anything to really see if its needed. Many times they will recommend things that aren't needed or that they may get more profit for selling.

DIY is always an option with growing, and if you can build it cheaper, do it :)

Reverse Osmosis systems vs buying bottled water is a huge cost saver. When I started growing I always bought filtered water which would amount to $5-10 per week, then I ended up spending $280 on a R/O system and have been saving money on not only water for my plants but now I fill up my own drinking water which tastes better than anything I could buy.

If purchasing equipment check 3rd party sites like CL or Ebya to see if you can buy gear used vs new. I've purchased tents, growlights, fans clones all from 3rd party used sellers and saved a ton.

Research, Research, Research.... making mistakes happens, but if you can limit the mistakes and hit things right your first time you will save money vs trial and error which can be costly.

Now lets save some Green for our Green!!!!! Hope everyone enjoyed my post.

Here is a video I made a couple years ago showing some ways that I found to decrease your electricity bill by doing certain things around the grow area...

Some other non electricity ways to reduce cost I also use are:

Buy nutrients in bulk, cheaper cost if you know you will be using certain nutrients for a long time. (organics can get bad after a while though so only certain nutrients you can do this with).

re-use your soil (organic, not sure if this would work for synthetic ferts). I keep a huge 100+ gallon rubbermaid container in which I dump my used soil into, re-amend and let it cook. I also compost my plant leaves into the soil and so far with this method I haven't had to purchase new soil in a couple years.

Clone your plants... If you have strain you like, clone it and grow it again and again. No need to purchase new clones/seeds every grow if you like what you already have.

Gas Lantern Routine (VEG). This is a method where you can get very good growth using only 13 hours of light (saving you 5 hours of light per day). For VEG only, you can run your lights at 12 on, 5.5 off, 1 hour on, 5.5 off and you will see growth similar to an 18/6 schedule but also cut out 5 hours of light energy per day, which over a month will save quite a bit of money.

Always consult with others that know before buying anything or purchasing anything from hydroponic stores. I've spend tons of money on "miracle products" that weren't needed. I always do my due dilligence and research now before purchsing anything to really see if its needed. Many times they will recommend things that aren't needed or that they may get more profit for selling.

DIY is always an option with growing, and if you can build it cheaper, do it :)

Reverse Osmosis systems vs buying bottled water is a huge cost saver. When I started growing I always bought filtered water which would amount to $5-10 per week, then I ended up spending $280 on a R/O system and have been saving money on not only water for my plants but now I fill up my own drinking water which tastes better than anything I could buy.

If purchasing equipment check 3rd party sites like CL or Ebya to see if you can buy gear used vs new. I've purchased tents, growlights, fans clones all from 3rd party used sellers and saved a ton.

Research, Research, Research.... making mistakes happens, but if you can limit the mistakes and hit things right your first time you will save money vs trial and error which can be costly.

Now lets save some Green for our Green!!!!! Hope everyone enjoyed my post.

I've been reading about this lately. Most people who have tried it swear by it, but there are a lot of skeptics also. I think it has merits, and even though it is too late to try it with my current grow, I am going to use it next time.

On RO I agree its cheaper than buying bottled water. I did that for part of my first grow and it was too expensive. But I also think that RO is overkill for most people in the US (Flint, Mi excepted). I feel if the water is good enough for you to drink, its good enough to grow a plant. I just use a 2 stage filter which is basically a glorified brita filter but removes all the clorine. The filter cost $30 replace once a year and I also drink it as well as use it in my res. It comes out at around 350 PPM so I just adjust for that when I measure my nutrient concentration. And RO does waste water though, and in SoCal that's a big deal.

I feel if the water is good enough for you to drink, its good enough to grow a plant. I just use a 2 stage filter which is basically a glorified brita filter but removes all the clorine.

I have a brita and stopped buying the filters, they are expensive: to get rid of chlorine for free: tap water in a (glass) bottle filled up to the very top. Chlorine will evaporate overnight. or in a couple of days. some people say it is faster in the fridge.

That's what I do right now: I have 4 or 5 bottles that I leave to rest a day or two before use. the cost is around 0.3 cent per bottle (or even less) :)

I'm growing 14 / 15 plants right now: the cost in bottled water will be high when the plants are bigger, that's why i switched to tap water.

Quality taste, balance of minerals etc varies from a town to another, or even from a block to another (some have underground water sources , some don't). Some areas still have old pipes with lead or rust etc. there is a multitude of "tap waters" , it is far from being uniform.

Here is a article about chlorine and chloride.
Chlorine Benefits to Plants « Dyna-gro Blog

You don't need it in the water, because nutrients have the chloride that plants want. You may overdose, or mix the good and the toxic form of chlorine. The chlorine from tap water is used to KILL bacterias, or at least, stop there multiplication. It is not immediately harful to plants, but after a while, it can causes "chlorosis"

chlorosis = deficiency in chlorophyl = will probably impair production, taste, effects etc... if the plant survives :) I don't think the plant will be able to produce flowers that can be called "buds" as we want them.

I've tried RO at a friend, and the water is very different: more fluid, less "heavy", taste good, naturally fresh. It is something planned for me in the future. My impression when drinking, is that it is much superior quality than branded water . However, it may not contain enough nutrients anymore to feed plants : make sur e the nutrient you use is not specifically formulated for tap water, so it has enough of the nutrients you need.

Some liquid nutrients are indeed formulated for tap water, and have less cal/mag or other minerals. Using those without tap water = deficiencies (as I experienced 3 month ago, when i did not realize the organic nutrient i was using did require tap water, as it was written in small characters on the bottle).

I have a few magnesium pills (for us humans) that I don't use anymore. Instead of trashing them, do you think it is magnesium that is good for plants ?

Do you know a way to find the best dose ? (the pills are powder is soft tubes (sorry i don't remember the english term for these pills which shell disolve in your stomach, releasing the powder they contain).
Egg shells: Very interesting but, how are the eggs absorbed by plants ? I mean, it must take long to be available as a nutrient ? You must mix it with soil rather than in water right ?

When you go outside of your grow store (if you have one) you must be sure to read the ingredients carefully. If you don't understand an ingredient research it, call the manufacturer if you have to, or err on the side of caution and don't use it. CalMag is made up of BOTH calcium AND magnesium. Two ingredients that plants need in trace amounts.
Calcium: If you crush the egg shells almost to a powder (food processor, blender) it will be taken up by the plant as it needs it. It is impossible to overdose in this method.
Magnesium: When you go to your local pharmacy to purchase Epsom Salts be sure to read the ingredients. Do not use if it has anything else in it other than magnesium. Mag is used for humans as a laxative. A teaspoon in a glass of water will CLEAN you out in short order. When used for that sometimes the manufactorer will put flavoring in it, or buffer it to be less harsh. Don't use that. Epsom Salts is also as a skin soak, foot soak. Sometimes they will put a scent in it ... no. Real the label. You want 99.9% magnesium. As far as dose ... I put a fistfull or two in a 50 gallon res every other feeding. Be careful tho - it's better to not use enough than to use too much.

The sign that your plant needs mag is red stems. Look for red stem. If its not red, you've hit the right dose. Watch the new stem growth ... it will come out redish. And ... some need more than others. I have a Purple OG Kush mom that needs a lot of mag. She'll turn red quicker than any other mom I have. I couldn't afford to keep her if I had to buy CalMag to keep yer alive. Even her babies are that way. LoL. Hope their adoptive parents figure that out.

~ Auggie ~

I do the same thing. When I "retire" a mom, or if a baby fails to live ... the soil gets reused. In my case it gets reused right away. You mentioned putting it in a container and letting it cook ... That's an important step. When I was growing (scrog indoors) I used CocoCanna and would put it in rubber garbage cans with holes in the bottom and wash it. You have to get the flowering stimulants and ferts out before you can put a plant in it for vegging. That takes time and washing -- but, yea, that stuff is expensive. So I re-use it.
And speaking of washing. I use cloth air pots. They get all funky with white crusty stuff (minerals, see post of calcium and magnesium). I wash them too. Soak in a solution of CLR for a day, then take them to a laundry mat that has big commercial washers and use regular laundry soap to get the CLR out. You can wash them at home if it wouldn't cause a divorce (it would at my house).

~ Auggie ~

Last grow I used the Gas Lantern Routine, described by Icemud above, and the Diminishing Light Schedule for flowering where you start out 12/12 and gradually move towards 9/15 and it works and saves a lot of electricity.

Last grow I used the Gas Lantern Routine, described by Icemud above, and the Diminishing Light Schedule for flowering where you start out 12/12 and gradually move towards 9/15 and it works and saves a lot of electricity.

I've used it on probably about 15-20 different strains with absolutely no issues and only success. I did find however keeping mothers under the GLR does cause a few strains to act oddly and push pistils out after the 6 month mark. For mothers I would stick to 18/6 but for regular vegging plants, GLR works amazingly!!! and saves me a ton...

for a 600w HPS ballast/bulb, using 18/6 for a month costs for me around $77.78 per month...

using GLR with the same 600w setup would cost $56.16 per month... Therefore saving me about $20 per month for each 600w used with GLR. Not a bad way to save :)

I've also notice that when using GLR for veg and then switching to Flowering (12/12) the plants don't seem to stretch as much and flower faster than plants vegged in an 18/6 schedule, and then flipped.

I made some Biochar on Sunday and also started off a bucket of fish fertiliser. Obviously making these things is cheaper than buying them but also useful if one lives in a place where getting certain soil amendments is difficult.

It took me 3 hours to make 3.1 kilos of Char in my DIY TLUD contraption.

image7744.jpeg
image7982.jpeg
image7990.jpeg
image7986.jpeg
image7988.jpeg
image7989.jpeg

I also use ground eggshells for my non 420 grow and this season will be adding them to my 420 soil mix.

I use gardening wire for a lot of stuff. It is cheap , solid, reuseable , etc etc. It can save 10 bucks here and there.

See how it's twisted to make it thicker and suppor tmuch more weight.

lamp fixtures divided by 2 by making a soft-solid metal wire triangle. (saved 12 euros)
0000wires.jpg

reinforcing box frames, or when you don't have enough hooks of the right size. (saved 5 euros)
0000-attach.jpg

and probably other things (scrog nets (25 euros) ? etc )

It is my go-to thing for many little helps, it allows to try stuff, and I can't live without it :)
it cost 5 or 6 bucks for a lot of length. Much cheaper than buying all the stuff that i've replaced with it.
I use the one coated with plastic to avoid static electricity. The uncoated one would be used to attach something that is hot (the front end of a CFL bulb for example, or a reflector or anything else that would make the plastic coating melt or warm enough to emit gazes).
The re-useability is interesting too.

Fish Fertiliser/Hydrolysate

3 parts water (4.5 kilos)

1 part fish. (1.5 kilos)

molasses, sugar or honey (500g)

Lactobacillus and or kefir water/milk two tablespoons ( I used both)

Chop fish up into small pieces so blender can process the bones and skin depending on type of fish being used.

Blend fish with sugar and water.

Pour into an airtight container and stir in lactobacillus

Cover and let sit for 4 to 8 weeks (speed of the process is faster in warm temperatures)

Place container somewhere where the smell won't gas everyone (mine is on the roof)

Depending on type of container being used you may need to open and vent from time to time to release gasses and stop container from exploding.

The stuff will smell absolutely foul while its processing, but once the process is complete, the smell is similar to vinegar, wine, or beer or to those familiar to baking like a mother/starter yeast.

Once the fertiliser is ready, strain liquid through a sieve to remove pieces of bone, scales and skin that survived the blender.

Bottle the liquid for storage.

The bottles will need to be opened/vented in the initial month to ensure the process is over and to vent any residual gasses if it's not quite over

image8071.jpeg
image8072.jpeg
image8073.jpeg
image8074.jpeg
image8075.jpeg

I use gardening wire for a lot of stuff. It is cheap , solid, reuseable , etc etc. It can save 10 bucks here and there.

See how it's twisted to make it thicker and suppor tmuch more weight.

lamp fixtures divided by 2 by making a soft-solid metal wire triangle. (saved 12 euros)
0000wires.jpg

reinforcing box frames, or when you don't have enough hooks of the right size. (saved 5 euros)
0000-attach.jpg

and probably other things (scrog nets (25 euros) ? etc )

It is my go-to thing for many little helps, it allows to try stuff, and I can't live without it :)
it cost 5 or 6 bucks for a lot of length. Much cheaper than buying all the stuff that i've replaced with it.
I use the one coated with plastic to avoid static electricity. The uncoated one would be used to attach something that is hot (the front end of a CFL bulb for example, or a reflector or anything else that would make the plastic coating melt or warm enough to emit gazes).
The re-useability is interesting too.
I used bailing wire to make my supporting trellis. It may not look pretty but it is working very well for me. In the past I have used trellis's I have bought and this works so much better, it has the strength to actually support the plants.

Here is a picture of it early in the grow
P1014935_edited.jpg

The latest with about 5 weeks to grow. I have been able to move around the branches and the trellis to get nice support for the plants.
P1015027_edited.jpg

Fish Fertiliser/Hydrolysate

3 parts water (4.5 kilos)

1 part fish. (1.5 kilos)

molasses, sugar or honey (500g)

Lactobacillus and or kefir water/milk two tablespoons ( I used both)

Chop fish up into small pieces so blender can process the bones and skin depending on type of fish being used.

Blend fish with sugar and water.

Pour into an airtight container and stir in lactobacillus

Cover and let sit for 4 to 8 weeks (speed of the process is faster in warm temperatures)

Place container somewhere where the smell won't gas everyone (mine is on the roof)

Depending on type of container being used you may need to open and vent from time to time to release gasses and stop container from exploding.

The stuff will smell absolutely foul while its processing, but once the process is complete, the smell is similar to vinegar, wine, or beer or to those familiar to baking like a mother/starter yeast.

Once the fertiliser is ready, strain liquid through a sieve to remove pieces of bone, scales and skin that survived the blender.

Bottle the liquid for storage.

The bottles will need to be opened/vented in the initial month to ensure the process is over and to vent any residual gasses if it's not quite over

image8071.jpeg
image8072.jpeg
image8073.jpeg
image8074.jpeg
image8075.jpeg
I'm having a SNL flashback from 1976 ... Dan Akroyd with the BassMaster!

Back
Top Bottom