Tokists' DWC Bagseed Grow Log

oh damn. I handnt even considered that! ah well. some of the leaves on a few plants are still turned up but overall they seem to be doin better. the calcium deficiency was caught in time. no further damage has cropped up.

when we get done with errands I'll check the ph levels and see if they still where they need to be.

thanks for the input!

gotta minor emergency. checked the ph again this afternoon and it went back up a bit. after lowering it back down i checked the roots and discovered that they've got a brownish yucky looking film on them. they're all clinging together and generally not happy looking. a google search points to root rot.

gonna start prepping some water to flush the system. going out to buy some peroxide.

sigh....

does anyone else have any ideas? it's going to take a day to get enough water ready.

gotta minor emergency. checked the ph again this afternoon and it went back up a bit. after lowering it back down i checked the roots and discovered that they've got a brownish yucky looking film on them. they're all clinging together and generally not happy looking. a google search points to root rot.

gonna start prepping some water to flush the system. going out to buy some peroxide.

sigh....

does anyone else have any ideas? it's going to take a day to get enough water ready.
My recommendation, switch to soil immediately......save hydro for another time, salvage your plants before your left with nothing....sounds like you have serious, potentially fatal problems

yea, i fear you may be right.

while losing my plants would be a horrible set back, it wouldn't be the end of the world. i've got one more trick up my sleeve. going along with the resiliency of the plant, i'm going to flush the system and replace the water with some r/o water and no nutes this time around. i'll clean and rinse the roots in r/o water with some hydrogen peroxide before placing the plants back in the flushed res.

if things don't get better after that, soil it is. just to be on the safe side, i'm gonna get to sprouting some more seeds.... it might just be easier to start from scratch with plants all from the same bag and at the same age.

yea, i fear you may be right.

while losing my plants would be a horrible set back, it wouldn't be the end of the world. i've got one more trick up my sleeve. going along with the resiliency of the plant, i'm going to flush the system and replace the water with some r/o water and no nutes this time around. i'll clean and rinse the roots in r/o water with some hydrogen peroxide before placing the plants back in the flushed res.

if things don't get better after that, soil it is. just to be on the safe side, i'm gonna get to sprouting some more seeds.... it might just be easier to start from scratch with plants all from the same bag and at the same age.
That was going to be my second recommendation, fresh water for a fresh start. You have to get your PH fluctuations under control or your going to continue to have issues. First you must figure out the cause for it, then you gotta take the steps to rectify it. Hope you figure things out, I'd hate to see you lose 'em, I get sad when I see plants die......

I second that on the soil advice. There's a lot less to worry about with soil.
I can't offer much advice here but your idea of refreshing with clean water seems good. Good luck Tokist.

good luck, indeed! and i'll need as much as i can get. that being said, let's get to the updates!

day 17

ok! so i totally dumped out that nasty old water and replaced it with some r/o water. i added some hydrogen peroxide to the water to help clean the roots and disinfect things a bit. the roots aren't as ugly as they once were but they certainly aren't back to their original vigor. they're still clumped together.

despite that, the plants themselves haven't really shown any forward growth. however, they do look a bit greener and healthier than they did the other day. they're not all curled up and turning yellow! so it would seem things are in the right direction.

some causes to the root rot:

• pinholes of light seeping through the hydroton encouraged the growth of algae.
  • the temperature in the res got too high at times and the warmer environment promoted bacterial growth
  • i didn't check my ph often enough. allowed nutrient lockout.

all these things combined... i was just asking for it.

here's what the plants looked like a few hours after their flush last night:

altogether not too bad. this afternoon they didn't look too much different honestly. but now that we've got em side by side, let's see.

notice how wide this leaf is:

it's wider than the plant is tall. i'm told that suggests a pure indica breed. i'm also told that the tight nodes are a sign of good genetics. i'm noticing this plant is' really wanting to be a short, squat, bushy little monster. and to think there's two growing right next to each other.

anyway, i've lowered the temperature of the res itself a few degrees by keeping a couple of 2L coke bottles filled with water and then frozen inside this cooler i scored from wells fargo for free.

by placing the air pumps in there, i'm hopefully making a difference. the ambient temp is 73 with the lights going. i can safely assume the the water temp is at least a few degrees lower.

i've also covered some of the hydroton with foil or wash cloths to keep light seeping through the pinholes. probably overkill, but i don't want any reason for this problem to happen again.

if this operation fails again, i'll snip a few clones off the bigger girls and put them in soil. the smaller girls i'll just transfer straight over. after i do my homework tonight (gotta mid-term for sociology comin up) i'm gonna sort through my seeds and sprout a bunch as a backup.

g'night for now!

[/CENTER]

good luck, indeed! and i'll need as much as i can get. that being said, let's get to the updates!

day 17

ok! so i totally dumped out that nasty old water and replaced it with some r/o water. i added some hydrogen peroxide to the water to help clean the roots and disinfect things a bit. the roots aren't as ugly as they once were but they certainly aren't back to their original vigor. they're still clumped together.

despite that, the plants themselves haven't really shown any forward growth. however, they do look a bit greener and healthier than they did the other day. they're not all curled up and turning yellow! so it would seem things are in the right direction.

some causes to the root rot:

• pinholes of light seeping through the hydroton encouraged the growth of algae.
  • the temperature in the res got too high at times and the warmer environment promoted bacterial growth
  • i didn't check my ph often enough. allowed nutrient lockout.

all these things combined... i was just asking for it.

here's what the plants looked like a few hours after their flush last night:

altogether not too bad. this afternoon they didn't look too much different honestly. but now that we've got em side by side, let's see.

notice how wide this leaf is:

it's wider than the plant is tall. i'm told that suggests a pure indica breed. i'm also told that the tight nodes are a sign of good genetics. i'm noticing this plant is' really wanting to be a short, squat, bushy little monster. and to think there's two growing right next to each other.

anyway, i've lowered the temperature of the res itself a few degrees by keeping a couple of 2L coke bottles filled with water and then frozen inside this cooler i scored from wells fargo for free.

by placing the air pumps in there, i'm hopefully making a difference. the ambient temp is 73 with the lights going. i can safely assume the the water temp is at least a few degrees lower.

i've also covered some of the hydroton with foil or wash cloths to keep light seeping through the pinholes. probably overkill, but i don't want any reason for this problem to happen again.

if this operation fails again, i'll snip a few clones off the bigger girls and put them in soil. the smaller girls i'll just transfer straight over. after i do my homework tonight (gotta mid-term for sociology comin up) i'm gonna sort through my seeds and sprout a bunch as a backup.

g'night for now!

[/CENTER]
:rofl: thats a great idea with the legos, totally something i would do if i thought of it first. +reps :rofl: that bacon block looks tasty as fuck......mMmm bacon...that one pic you were talking about the big leaves, was that one leaf??? a single leaf with 3 points? Ive never seen that before, doesnt seem normal, I think you have a mutant

:rofl: thats a great idea with the legos, totally something i would do if i thought of it first. +reps :rofl: that bacon block looks tasty as fuck......mMmm bacon...that one pic you were talking about the big leaves, was that one leaf??? a single leaf with 3 points? Ive never seen that before, doesnt seem normal, I think you have a mutant

yep, that was one leaf. one of the first ones, actually.

and dude, i have no idea what you're talkin about... what legos?

The work crew is great!!

lol, thanks.

unfortunately, there's no improvement on the roots. i dont think there's anything else i can do. they're not brown and yucky anymore but they still cling together.

i lowered the water level in the res so the roots wouldn't be as submerged as they were. now they're hanging in the air, absorbing the water that the air stone kicks up at em.

the plants themselves seem to be holding up alright. there's very little forward growth, but it's there. they're green as can be. i dont have a thermometer to check the temp of the res water, but it was rather cool to the touch. that ice trick seems to be working.

im just ready for these plants to start growing again already so we can move along to the next stage, lol. next paycheck, i think i'll get some fem seeds and sprout them in dirt and just go pure organic next round. i would have just gotten rid of the problem plants but im afraid to get rid of any of these simply because i dont know which ones are female yet.

echoing softly in his head, as from a long distance, taps plays.

but from the ashes arises a phoenix!

i had to pretty much abandon this grow. the roots didn't look as if they'd ever recover. i figured i might as well scratch it, and start over while i'm not that far in to begin with rather than invest more time and money into something that may not pan out.

i've learned a few things, and even though i "knew" all of them from trolling this forum for the past four years, i didn't really LEARN about them til i did my own grow.

i've gone and cloned each plant (i.e. i cut them all at the base, lol) and put them in some rockwool. next stop? a red solo cup with some fox farms ocean mix.

i'm not sure if it was the temp of the res, the pinholes of light leaking into the res, or the roots sitting too deep in the res solution. perhaps all combined. either way, i'm going to do the rest of this grow in soil. perhaps the next try will be hydro.

any ideas on how i should handle this from here on out? i want to try to id the sex of the plants before i put them in their final pot, but i don't want to transplant them more than once. if i put them all in one gallon jugs, that might be too large an area for my lights to cover... im still using CFLs to veg. but i dont want to put them into something so small that they get rootbound and require a transplant before i know the sex.

also, is it cool to just use the fox farm by itself? mix it with perlite maybe? how long do the nutes in it last before i gotta start adding my own?

thanks all for your contributions and for the taking the time to check out my grow. ,i wish it hadn't been such an epic fail though. ah well, lets keep our fingers crossed for this next one!

mods, go ahead and kill it.

deuces!

Sorry to hear about the root problem.
A possible source might have been the organic matter stuck to those roots when you moved from soil to hydro.

echoing softly in his head, as from a long distance, taps plays.

but from the ashes arises a phoenix!

i had to pretty much abandon this grow. the roots didn't look as if they'd ever recover. i figured i might as well scratch it, and start over while i'm not that far in to begin with rather than invest more time and money into something that may not pan out.

i've learned a few things, and even though i "knew" all of them from trolling this forum for the past four years, i didn't really LEARN about them til i did my own grow.

i've gone and cloned each plant (i.e. i cut them all at the base, lol) and put them in some rockwool. next stop? a red solo cup with some fox farms ocean mix.

i'm not sure if it was the temp of the res, the pinholes of light leaking into the res, or the roots sitting too deep in the res solution. perhaps all combined. either way, i'm going to do the rest of this grow in soil. perhaps the next try will be hydro.

any ideas on how i should handle this from here on out? i want to try to id the sex of the plants before i put them in their final pot, but i don't want to transplant them more than once. if i put them all in one gallon jugs, that might be too large an area for my lights to cover... im still using CFLs to veg. but i dont want to put them into something so small that they get rootbound and require a transplant before i know the sex.

also, is it cool to just use the fox farm by itself? mix it with perlite maybe? how long do the nutes in it last before i gotta start adding my own?

thanks all for your contributions and for the taking the time to check out my grow. ,i wish it hadn't been such an epic fail though. ah well, lets keep our fingers crossed for this next one!

mods, go ahead and kill it.

deuces!
Hey bro, I had a feeling that was going to happen but I didn't have the heart to tell ya. So for the clones, you used some sort of rooting stimulator right? (powder, or gel?) Otherwise youll have a very difficult time rooting anything, not impossible, just extremely hard. As far as the fox farms soil goes, it's great stuff, I wouldnt depend on it any longer than a few weeks though, my rule of thumb with clones, is until you see definite growth, water only by misting the leaves not by watering the soil. I keep my clones in a humidome for minimum 2-3 days sometimes up to a week, open dome once a day for 15 minutes and mist inside of dome and replace dome lid. Cloning is tricky, dont get your hopes up that you will be successful every time, its hit or miss unfortunately. Fox farm is fine to use alone or mixed with perlite, there should be perlite already in the fox farm soil. The key to successful cloning is making sure your medium remains moist but not wet. This is a video I made when i was stoned, very informative, and also CLONING 101 JARHED STYLE - YouTube As for feeding, as soon as you see growth from the clone it would be safe to start your feedings then, start with 1/4 strength and work your way up to larger feeding, I generally feed on a 3 day schedule, day 1 feed, day 2 water, day 3 nothing, then start the process over again. This has worked out great for me, and makes it less likely you will have much salt build up in your soil.

You can get square pots i think they are around 1-2 litre pots, and you could use these for your clones should be big enough to carry to flower depending on how big you plan to grow these before flowering, safe to assume you can grow these to about 2 ' and trip to flower to determine sex, good luck :thumb:

i'm not sure how the sub thing works, but if anyone's still subbed to this thread, then you might be interested in my new growlog i've just started a few days ago.

Clcik here!

having taken what i learned last time, i abandoned all that hydro equipment for a much easier, more forgiving medium: soil!

once i learn the characteristics of the plant, i'll give hydro another try. my new grow is completely organic and already leagues beyond what my last grew was.

oh, and if anyone cares, i was able to successfully clone each plant from this grow but shortly after my wife went into labor and we were gone at the hospital for a few days. came back to plants that probably could have easily been resurrected but since we were going out of town again in december, we decided to scrap it all and start over after the first of the year.

i have high hopes for my new grow :D

Thanks for sharing your grow with us.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please start one here:
Journals in Progress

In the future, whenever you complete a journal, please use the Report Post feature found at the bottom left of every post, so we can be alerted to move it for you.

Hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine.

Back
Top Bottom