Topher89's DWC Blue Mystic Grow

I just found this thread

Looks like over feeding and some ph problems to me. But it also looks like you are getting on top of it now. May have been time to 3rd down PUNT, Defend and start a new offensive.

I'd do a Drain and Replenish.

I would get some styrafoam cups and sit cups full of water everywhere around the plants. I would lay soaking wet rags, like face cloths rolled into a cigar shape, everywhere near by, especially on the lid.
And I would do some frequent Mistings. If possible, I would hang some soaking wet towels from clothes hangers, dripping into empty buckets nearby too.

THE 8 STEP RECUPERATION AND RECOVERY REMEDY

1. Check the roots. If they are discolored, reddish or brown, or present an unpleasant odor, you have a problem. If they are weak, soft or mushy, you have a problem. Also while checking the roots, observe the temperature of the water. If it is warmer than "luke warm" you have a problem. This problem is probably what is referred to as "root rot" or a disease known as PYTHIUM. Remove the dead brown roots by trimming them away with sharp scissors. Do not leave them in the tank. 2 teaspoons of 3% Peroxide per gallon of water will cure them in a few days.
2. Check the humidity and temperature of the grow area below the lights in the "growing zone" when the lights are on. A temperature of above 87 degrees or below 67 degrees will slow growth, but it is not a serious problem that will kill your plants. Temperatures below 62 degrees or above 92 degrees will stop growth. An extremely constant high temperature in the upper 90s or below 58 degrees can slowly result in death of your plants. The most efficient temps for growth are between 72 to 84 degrees. Any Humidity between 40 and 60 percent is acceptable and desirable for the Veg Cycle. You need lower humidity for the BLOOM cycle. .
3. Check the "lights off, nighttime" temperature. Most desirable is ten to 15 degrees cooler than the daytime "lights on" temperature, averaging 66 to 72 degrees.
4. Check the distance between the tips of the plant and the tip of the light bulb. If you observe yellowing or leaf curling tips, then move the lights one inch further away. A good rule of thumb if you use HID lights, is hold the soft palm of your hand at the leaf tip and see if the bulb is too warm to your hand. If you use compact fluorescent bulbs, I recommend a distance of two or three inches for the 65 and 85 watt bulbs and 4 inches to five inches for the 105 watt bulbs. More mature plants can handle the bulbs slightly closer.
5. Check the position of your fans. Air movement is very necessary for the health of your plants, but too strong of a fan can cause wind burn. Direct your fan toward the tops of the plants and toward the lights. Never position the fan blowing strongly downward on the leaves. If you have varible speeds, use the SLOW speed.
6. Add 2 teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide to a quart of water per gallon, and add it to the tank of six gallons already in the tank. Wait ten minutes and then turn the water and nutrition solution pump off to prepare to drain the tank. Poor at least a cup of clean pH balanced water through each grow cup, onto each rockwool cube and through the hydroton rocks.
7.Drain or pump the tank empty as possible without damaging the pump by running it dry. Add two gallons of additional clean water with 1 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide again and then drain it away too. Again, empty the tank as empty as possible without burning up your pump.
8. Add fresh PH balanced water and nutritional packets as prescribed. PH test it again.

The above 8 steps should repair and remedy any health problems that your plants experienced within the next two or three days. Now is the time to try and determine what caused the problem to start with, by investigating and researching typical hydroponics problems and illnesses. Here are a few DIAGNOSIS TIPS.

Typical Hydroponics Problems and Illnesses

Underfeeding and Weak Nutrition
The entire plant, both upper and lower leaves, will show lime or light green in color.
The plant will not eat, drink or show growth.
It is time to follow the 8 Step Remedy.

Overfeeding, Use of Too Strong Nutrients
The leaves will curl downward. They grow very dark dull flat green and then the tips show signs of burn and yellow.

Nutritional Lockout
You know that you have made recent PH adjustments. You might know you may have used too much of the PH Adjustment Solution. You may have failed to test the PH often enough. You notice the plants did not eat or drink because they did not consume the same amount of water they used yesterday. You see rust spots. The large lower leaves are prematurely dying and you are not in the BLOOMING or FLOWERING stage.

Wind Burn
You had the fan blowing downward toward the upper side of the leaves, instead of blowing up through the node spaces or toward the lights. You observe the leaves becoming dry or even crispy, perhaps shriveling, and the tips curling upward. The leaves do not appear glossy, moist and vibrant.

Water, Nutrition Solution or Roots Are Discolored Brown Or Have an Unpleasant Odor
You notice your water is becoming brownish in color, or smells distasteful. Your solution does not smell pleasant and appetizing like fresh lettuce. Your roots are not the same shade of white that they once were a week ago.

Roseman, You are amazing! I added 2 tsp/gallon 3% Hydrogen Peroxide to the res last night, and also went and bought some cups, and rags tonight. I'm gonna do everything that you suggested.... Except for the towels dripping.... I don't have room to be able to do that.

I have a couple questions, if you have pre-made posts that cover what I am wondering.

How do you do your nutrients? I have been filling up a 5 gallon bucket, PHing the water to 6, then adding the nutrients and PHing again. I add that to the res, then I add individual gallons that are PH'd one by one till I get them to the desired height. It takes about 7 - 7.5 gallons to get to the height that I want...

Also, there have been ALOT of new roots coming out, even since I added the covers to the holes and the Hydrogen Peroxide. Some of the roots are very... fuzzy. it looks like mold, but I don't think that is what it is. There is nothing on the medium (AG Sponge) And it almost looks like the roots are simply fuzzy... I'll get some pictures.

Lots more coming. I am trying to figure out how a gang valve works... I bought 2 thinking I could do one for each line from the hose.... But it seems like no air gets through. I'll get pictures of that as well.

How do you all setup your airstones? people were saying that I didn't have enough bubbles... I changed the AG so that the bubbles are ROLLING the water around, which I think is the desired effect. I think that I need multiple bubble curtains/air stones to make the water like that in the bigger DWC.

I was also reading that if you make sure that your air is coming from the bottom of the res, then the small bubbles you normally get will expand and burst at the top, making the water "roll" ...... However My curtains are weighed down the the bottom, and still just produce small, boiling like bubbles.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Day 27/4

Hello All.:welcome:

So Today is day 24 for the two plants under HPS, and 4 for my seedlings!
:cool:

I have changed a few things as per Roseman's AWESOME post! I didn't have room for the cups of water and the rolled up towels, so I thought I would try to create a wick system out of both, and go for the same effect! :bong:

The roots Have shown about a 50% improvement compared to only about 24 hours ago! I am very pleased with the results of the Hydrogen Peroxide, and covering the plant sites that were not in use.

Here are some pictures! :bong:

4chan_1-4-10.jpg

towel_idea_1-4-10.jpg

roots_1-4-10.jpg

Jill_n_Jane_1-4-10.jpg

I'me no expert, but it seems like you fixed your problem the roots look alot better and the yellowing has diminished. Good job and roseman are you a growing god or something lol? Has an answer to all problems.

Roseman, You are amazing! I added 2 tsp/gallon 3% Hydrogen Peroxide to the res last night, and also went and bought some cups, and rags tonight. I'm gonna do everything that you suggested.... Except for the towels dripping.... I don't have room to be able to do that.

And it is advisable to cut off the rotten roots.

I have a couple questions, if you have pre-made posts that cover what I am wondering.

How do you do your nutrients? I have been filling up a 5 gallon bucket, PHing the water to 6, then adding the nutrients and PHing again. I add that to the res, then I add individual gallons that are PH'd one by one till I get them to the desired height. It takes about 7 - 7.5 gallons to get to the height that I want...

That is OK to do it that way, the FIRST Start Off Day. I would never do or pre-prepare 5 gallons at a time tho.
After that first day, I eyeball (guess) how much water is needed, like a gallon for example, get that gallon and add the nutes, THEN pH adjust it according to what the tank's pH called for. After a day or two, it is just rountine, I get home, find the water a gallon low, at 6.8 for example, I get a gallon, add nutes, attempt to adjust it to 5.8 , add it, and then find it at 6.0 to 6.2, maybe 5.9, but within a good range..Its just a daily routine.

Also, there have been ALOT of new roots coming out, even since I added the covers to the holes and the Hydrogen Peroxide. Some of the roots are very... fuzzy. it looks like mold, but I don't think that is what it is. There is nothing on the medium (AG Sponge) And it almost looks like the roots are simply fuzzy... I'll get some pictures.

Roots often look fuzzy and get all kinds of freaky deformed growths, its OK, its normal.
Lots more coming. I am trying to figure out how a gang valve works... I bought 2 thinking I could do one for each line from the hose.... But it seems like no air gets through. I'll get pictures of that as well.

How do you all setup your airstones? people were saying that I didn't have enough bubbles... I changed the AG so that the bubbles are ROLLING the water around, which I think is the desired effect. I think that I need multiple bubble curtains/air stones to make the water like that in the bigger DWC.

I was also reading that if you make sure that your air is coming from the bottom of the res, then the small bubbles you normally get will expand and burst at the top, making the water "roll" ...... However My curtains are weighed down the the bottom, and still just produce small, boiling like bubbles.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

I only get very small boiling up bubbles. I use two 12 or 14 inch airstones in my one tank, ran off of a Dual outlet air pump.

Haha i know i followed you guys over here after i read that tutorial, it inspired me to start growing. Hopefully in a week i'll have a grow journal started also.

I and all the Deep Water Culture are very glad you made the move. It is so peaceful here....so many willig to help. Even the Mods here offer help and advise.

You have ot have 25 posts to PM, I'd like to PM you and ask what was your previous grow name.

Nice, you are definitely following the right man topher.

I'me no expert, but it seems like you fixed your problem the roots look alot better and the yellowing has diminished. Good job and roseman are you a growing god or something lol? Has an answer to all problems.

I and all the Deep Water Culture are very glad you made the move. It is so peaceful here....so many willig to help. Even the Mods here offer help and advise.

You have ot have 25 posts to PM, I'd like to PM you and ask what was your previous grow name.

Heya guys! Thanks for stopping in! Paul, I am glad to have you here! Such an awesome site without drama and ill will.

Hey Roseman, DO you have a picture of just your airstones and how the water looks with them on? I thought I had ALOT of bubbles with the bubble curtains, but I suppose I did not. Now I have 3 6 inch and a 12 inch airstone in there, and the bubbles are bigger, but not as spread out.

Heya guys! Thanks for stopping in! Paul, I am glad to have you here! Such an awesome site without drama and ill will.

Hey Roseman, DO you have a picture of just your airstones and how the water looks with them on? I thought I had ALOT of bubbles with the bubble curtains, but I suppose I did not. Now I have 3 6 inch and a 12 inch airstone in there, and the bubbles are bigger, but not as spread out.

I have 100s of pics of every aspect there is, and a dozen of my airstones bubbling. I just have to post them. If your tank is ten gallon or less, you have enough. Water is h2o, two parts oxygen, and the airstones just add more oxygen to the water. You don't have to have the bubbles all spread out all over or hitting the roots. You have enough.

I have 100s of pics of every aspect there is, and a dozen of my airstones bubbling. I just have to post them. If your tank is ten gallon or less, you have enough. Water is h2o, two parts oxygen, and the airstones just add more oxygen to the water. You don't have to have the bubbles all spread out all over or hitting the roots. You have enough.

Cool, thank you friend! The Res is a 14 Gallon Tote, with about 7-8 gallons of water in it at a time!

Are you still working on curing your last harvest, or are you starting another grow soon? I love seeing the beginnings of new grows! EXPECIALLY ones that I KNOW are gonna finish perfectly! Maybe I'm selfish but I can't help it! Hahaha

I am still burping the jars daily, making hash, gathering kief, and cleaning up my messed up room.
Going to loan my equipment to my x wife and do a grow there.

Ha! Sounds like a headache.... LOL!

I think I saw you mentioning that you are gonna be using HID lighting in your next grow... is that the one at your X's house, or do you plan on having one going for yourself as well?

I'd love to see what you can do with an HPS instead of CFLs. :bongrip:

Back
Top Bottom