Verb’s DIY Mini 1 Gallon DWC, Tangerine Dream Auto, Mainlining Experiment

Hey if your ok with the RAW stuff, go for it! Im just a cheapo trying to help save a buck :cheesygrinsmiley:
Cba to mix each macros separately, so I’ll be giving a try for Remo or Botanicare. Gonna buy some of those dry additives tho. …And talkin about savin the bucks, when going for one of the most pricey brands (Remo’s) :rofl:

Also just checked your DM and scrolled thru the Master Blend dry ones. That’d be prob a good stuff! But I’d have to buy the whole kit, or at least the NPK salts and Ca nitrate, as I’d need a Ca&N source with 4-18-38 blend.

Save the hummus for pita bread. :laughtwo: Just kidding, isn't spell check fun?

I've seen the RAW granular molasses, but speaking from experience, I'll never have molasses in my res again anytime soon! I know it's good for the microbe herds, but what a mess of your system it makes...or it did mine (then again, it wasn't the granular version).
Lol didn’t see that :D humic acid is spelled ”hummus happo” in Fin.

Molasses, humic, fulvic and Kelp all these makes sucha mess. True that. Ive applied Kelp and organic humic into the res and Roots looking ugly brown, almost black right now.

Me too! And to be honest, it's only suggestions based upon how smart you are at this stuff, and as something I can see you enjoying
Aw thanks :) I want to challenge myself as I grow, take my growing skill at the next stage and the next bigger lesson could be to learn more about specific elements and start mixing my own.

I hope the seedling pulls through, as I wanna see too :laughtwo: . And it can be disheartening for a first attempt. Luckily she has a talented grower at her side.
:circle-of-love:
Growing cannabis actually feels therapeutic and thats a part reason why she wanted an own plant. Her orchid growings started to feel boring and she wanted some challenge. Hah, she got some:
989D6FDB-2A8B-4B11-8F93-D26744AA7E5B.jpeg

Past three day progress: those tips of 3 fingered leaves barely formed.
It has been droopy like that and it can’t be due under or overwatering.

And then we’ve got the Tangerine Dream! Shes 39 days today.
Res runs only at 450-550ppm right now as tried to cut Phosphorus down to min.
8081C9D0-3869-42FE-8470-C189B7437366.jpeg

CD1549AC-ABD2-49DD-9B8E-AB37E2ED92C7.jpeg

I’ll be making a proper update tomorrow as the weekend finally starts!! Had sucha week. Took my first COVID vaccine and been kinda exhausted.
Also looks like +400notifications to go thru. o_O
Catchin up shortly with your Kitty grow as we had a discuss at that side!

Have a nice friday night @Rexer and rest of the famzz!
—> :bongrip:

- Verb

2/14 Journal update

Happy valentine’s day 420fam, growers and followers! :circle-of-love:

Tangerine Dream auto entered today into 7th week. Noticeable difference how bud set takes place. I think this pheno might be pretty sativa dominant.
Considering to move her into 10L bucket as this gets little too tricky to deal with ~2L solution available only. pH keeps bouncing crazy - as I set it down to 5.3 it rises up to 6.5 in less than six hours. I’m pretty sure this is due the low water volume. And as the plant eats the pH stabilizers breaks down.

Also been doing the Kelp experiment. And I feel like foliar feeding big/strong enough plant just promotes vertical growth as auxins gets absorbed via leaves. In other hand foliar feeding smaller plant or seedlings, may stunt their growth almost completely. Wedding Cake auto seem to be a good example.
But when Kelp applied to the reservoir it promotes more root growth.
High concentration of auxin above optimal concentration usually inhibits plant growth. This because high auxin concentration stimulates ethylene production, and consequently ethylene inhibits growth.

So when dropped Phosphorus down to 10-20ppm and applied almost double amount of Kelp, feels like the stem elongation slowed down.
Well I got couple more future lab rats gorillas to experiment this even better. :laughtwo:

2/12 - 2/14/2022

Grow well & stay medicated
:passitleft:

- Verb

2/18 Journal neglect update

Good friday folks!
Haven’t had much to update here. TD doing her flowering things and slowly (hopefully) starts to bulk up.
But then once again…ran into some kind of Mg issues. I’ve had +50ppm of Mg in every res after the stretch phase started - I’m using Canna’s MONO Magnesium to keep Mg ppms high without skyrocketing the Ca ppm, which would happen if I’d use Cal/Mag supplements.
@FelipeBlu may I summon you sensei. Whatsapp. Wanted to ask what/how much you know about the DIF’s relationship with Magnesium? As I’m still runnin pretty much equal DIF. Tent temp is 22-23C, but Canopy temp goes up to 25.5C and night time temps are 21-22.5C
So I read that if the day and night time temps are close to equal it may cause Magnesium deficiency(?) The temps were related to chlorophyll production.

Kinda neglected her as you can see from the prev post that the lower fans are all gucci at that time 2/14. Didn’t react fast enough when saw the first symptoms. And after that the chlorosis spread very fast within days

This was taken yesterday and now it keeps drawing it from all the lower fans.
16EA2B5F-150C-4814-A258-A8D806D7D467.jpeg

So far I’ve tried Ca:Mg ratios of 3:1 and 1:1 and generally lower K & Ca and a bit lifted N and Mg ppm. Haven’t seen any improvement.

Anyway that wont hurt too much to sacrifice the lower fans, but if it continues to climb up to the colas, well then I’m fucked.
Could just try to drop the night time temps 20C or below and see if that helps. So far Ive tried to give the best environments for the seedlings and thats why still having sucha high night temp.

At this point I wanted to tell that I just smoked some lower popcorns Ive trimmed off from TD. :ganjamon: The smoke feels super sativa like! So no more me. Heres some pics of TD from the past week.

New root burst after 7 days Kelp treatment:
D5BD705B-1075-4E58-9718-ECBD4E90F6B0.jpeg

Some of the leaves having funky color mutation:
68912B92-10B9-44D6-AA83-FB6DAC961CED.jpeg

2/16/2022
E3261F13-E7B8-4C55-8211-408C1A550F60.jpeg

2/17/2022 - Day 45
6314D369-9AD6-4170-81A7-14DD4547AF80.jpeg

2/18/2022 - Day 46
3A09B26D-3AB8-4FDC-8904-ADDB071FFFC2.jpeg

11D08E78-0BD1-4584-837F-97A34B5B302D.jpeg

Light up the pipes and bowls famz, its friday night!

Stay safe & grow well
- V

Tent temp is 22-23C, but Canopy temp goes up to 25.5C and night time temps are 21-22.5C
Temps above 24C seem a bit high for DWC - I wonder.. What’s the rez temp?
So far I’ve tried Ca:Mg ratios of 3:1 and 1:1 and generally lower K & Ca and a bit lifted N and Mg ppm. Haven’t seen any improvement.

Anyway that wont hurt too much to sacrifice the lower fans, but if it continues to climb up to the colas, well then I’m fucked.
Could just try to drop the night time temps 20C or below and see if that helps. So far Ive tried to give the best environments for the seedlings and thats why still having sucha high night temp
I would probably aim for nights at 18C and days no higher than 22C. You’re still in early flower - maybe try a foliar with 1g/L Epsom for the Mg def? Add a few drops of liquid soap as a surfactant. Spray at lights out and make sure to hit under the fan leaves.

Have you gone down the raw salts hole yet? In other words making your own nutrients. If you like the RAW products- take a hard and good look at JR Peter's or "Jack's ". You'll get better value. Long-term wise, I might end up using Jack's or two part MC. Or if I get the swing of things, or when I do I should say, I may dabble in making some of my own. I love and need goals like that to keep me focused.

If you go down the "Build your own nutes" rabbit hole, and you're in the States, don't buy the Sodium Molybdate. You have to buy a pound, at a cost of $29. You use so little that you'll have enough for your lifetime and the next three generations of little Rexers. Just hit me up and I'll send you some powder. You can also buy a premade micro bag that cuts down the initial cost of DIY nutes, but that's a more expensive proposition over the long term if it's something you decide to stick with.

Hi Felipe thanks for caring! :hug:

Temps above 24C seem a bit high for DWC - I wonder.. What’s the rez temp?
Yuh 24-25C right under the lamp ”canopy” but tent stays between 22-23C.
TD’s 1 gallon res I chose the color white as it won't gather the heat.
Res water temp stays between 18-21C.

I would probably aim for nights at 18C and days no higher than 22C. You’re still in early flower - maybe try a foliar with 1g/L Epsom for the Mg def? Add a few drops of liquid soap as a surfactant. Spray at lights out and make sure to hit under the fan leaves.
Isn’t 18C during the night little low for the seedlings? I'm afraid I'll stunt them.
can’t find pure epsom from here so the Canna’s 7% MgO is my epsom for now.
I’ll try to foliar feeding if it helps.

What’s going on here? Roots look pretty brown!
Yeah, they look brown dark and ugly because of the Kelp. This Kelp concentrate tends to color submerged roots like that.
But trust, they just look pretty ugly and bad (looks like advanced root rot). I keep smelling the roots daily :laugh: But they smell like they’re supposed to. I mean they do not smell smell. Smells same as the PP roots:laughtwo:

This is what high auxins at roots does:
3C161E15-877F-4A6A-B8E3-441D82CCD3D9.jpeg

We can pretty much rule out root rot.
They’ll get more whitish hue again in a week or two if I don’t do Kelp at all.

- Verb

Hows the Ozarks 4th season? Yalll hillbillies wif poppies! :laugh:
Watched two of them. Brutal Billy programming! I can't keep up with everything but the family is alive and conniving still but barley.
I finished it in 2 days with TK...I won't say anything

Looking good here, finally had some time to catch up on some journals! Happy i got to yours!

If you go down the "Build your own nutes" rabbit hole, and you're in the States, don't buy the Sodium Molybdate. You have to buy a pound, at a cost of $29. You use so little that you'll have enough for your lifetime and the next three generations of little Rexers. Just hit me up and I'll send you some powder. You can also buy a premade micro bag that cuts down the initial cost of DIY nutes, but that's a more expensive proposition over the long term if it's something you decide to stick with.
Hey farside! I missed your reply. I’ll be using Remo nutes for this auto run.

When I’m bout to start the new proggy after this I’ll hit you up and you could teach me couple basics when mixing the micros. :Rasta:

I finished it in 2 days with TK...I won't say anything

Looking good here, finally had some time to catch up on some journals! Happy i got to yours!
Heya Krissi! :green_heart: Have they published the 4th season 2nd part on US netflix? The
4th season Ive watched only had 7 or 8 episodes and theres more to come. If its released on US already I’m bout to start up my VPN :D

Mg def symptoms looks to be slowing down and TD starts to gain some weight.

Day 49 or 50:
996173C8-E311-4F9C-ACE3-6164354E093C.jpeg

Journo update tomorrow as I change her reservoir.
Current res ppm: 770ppm

Stay safe, grow well brothers and sisters!

- V

I’ll be using Remo nutes for this auto run.

I had 2 of the supercharged kits that I won but gave both away, along with the vats of Tepinator. Never tried it. I understand the marketing aspect of giving away nute bundles to contest winners, but by the same token, daddy always told me to "dance with the person that brought ya". Grow and Bloom style nutrient systems (which most are) goes against my constant ratio theory for growing.

2/28 Journal update

Its been a minute since! Updates been lacking here, but haven’t had much to update. But now things bout to get more interesting!

TD auto just entered into the 9th week. Gave her a two-day Kelp treatment during the 8th week, and 9th week will be the PK boost week with Kool Bloom!
I’ve kept really moderate reservoir EC (1.3-1.5 / 650-750ppm) for past two weeks. I guess less could be more in deep water culture growing - Looks like the plant would thrive with very low ppm’s, just when the nutrition is in balance, that seem to be enough.
Also the buds are just bout to start swelling and some of those stems already having hard times to carry the flowers! :cheesygrinsmiley:

So uhmphm where do we start? From the roots!
The most difficult part of this cultivation using sucha small reservoir is to keep the roots happy & satisfied, and a stable reservoir pH. Reservoir full capacity is 1 gallon (4.5L exact) and I’m only dealing with 2L of solution. But at the same time I find the art of this growth when using more challenging option! :cool:

I need to dump and change her reservoir every two days. Pre-making 10L of ready solution makes life a lot easier!
The plant seem to absorb most of the nutrients from 2L of solution in 48hr - so we could assume that the plant ”consumes” 2L’s in 36-48hrs. And 1L every ~24h. :idea:
If I’ve kept one reservoir longer than two days the pH keeps falling down to toxic readings 3.9-4.1 pH (and this has already happened several times, but shes a champ!) And during the bud set (before Remo’s nutes) pH started to spike up to 6.6-6.8 after couple days.

See how it is growing that new thick mass and theres only a long flimsy tail left from the old ”original” root mass!

And next up her current nutrition. 2/27 reservoir change:
- 0.35ml/L Canna CalMag agent (~90ppm)
- 1ml/L Remo Micro (~150ppm)
- 2ml/L Remo Bloom (~200ppm)
- 0.9ml/L GHE Kool Bloom (~300ppm)
- 0.33ml/l Canna 7%Magnesium (~30ppm)
- 1ml/L Terpinator (didn’t measure lol)

Ending EC: 1.7 / TDS: 880ppm
I’ll be using the same base but only gradually increasing Kool Bloom dosage untill we hit 1000ppm.
After a week PK boost I’ll be droppin it down to 500ish and watch if that actually helps the buds to swell better and chew the all the given P&K.

Impressed how 4000K color temp LED produces nice dense flowers!
Pics from the past week:

Day 53:
Structure:

Day 55:

Day 56:
Going to be juicy colas!

Hope you like the photographs! :popcorn:
Thats it for monday guys. Stay safe and medicated.

Thanks for stoppin

- V

I certainly did! They look fantastic, you're in for a frosty treat!
Indeed! There was barely any resin visible during 8th n half week but suddenly couple days ago boom, resin all over the leaves increases in eyes. :D

And brother Rex, if you ever require more challenge of dwc growing - try small buckets! :cheesygrinsmiley:
Theres whole lot more work to do, but at the same time small reservoir allows you to fine tune 110% your nutrition. As I’m only dealing with 2L of solution at time I wont even waste any nutrients.
C6F28BA0-CBD6-4083-B9D9-7528B5F06411.jpeg

And I think you could grow a very decent sized plant in 1 gallon reservoir. Almost like solo cup challenge :laugh:

Indeed! There was barely any resin visible during 8th n half week but suddenly couple days ago boom, resin all over the leaves increases in eyes. :D

And brother Rex, if you ever require more challenge of dwc growing - try small buckets! :cheesygrinsmiley:
Hell no!!! :rofl:
I'm already regretting having small buckets :laughtwo: , I couldn't even open the lid for the Wappa this morning :eek: :laughtwo: (roots must have gripped onto the airstone).
Theres whole lot more work to do, but at the same time small reservoir allows you to fine tune 110% your nutrition. As I’m only dealing with 2L of solution at time I wont even waste any nutrients.
C6F28BA0-CBD6-4083-B9D9-7528B5F06411.jpeg

And I think you could grow a very decent sized plant in 1 gallon reservoir. Almost like solo cup challenge :laugh:
I'm impressed V, I don't think I'd be able to do it, and you've done remarkably well.
I'm challenged enough at the moment.

I've got two small Auto clones in hempy cups, I'm just toying with some STS for giggles to see what comes of it, which I expect nothing. A bit of Blackberry Auto and Wappa Auto pollen would be nice though! But I'm just messing around and haven't been doing it "by the book".

Looks great Verbalist but especially with the difficulty factor of a 2L reservoir! Great job. 2L res for DWC? No thanks ;)

Impressive! :yummy:

Love the bulky rootmass!
Innit! The hormonal activity of cannabis is an exciting thing! Kelp can do miracles when used right.

Hell no!!! :rofl:
I'm already regretting having small buckets :laughtwo: , I couldn't even open the lid for the Wappa this morning :eek: :laughtwo: (roots must have gripped onto the airstone).

I'm impressed V, I don't think I'd be able to do it, and you've done remarkably well.
I'm challenged enough at the moment.

I've got two small Auto clones in hempy cups, I'm just toying with some STS for giggles to see what comes of it, which I expect nothing. A bit of Blackberry Auto and Wappa Auto pollen would be nice though! But I'm just messing around and haven't been doing it "by the book".
Ouch! If your hand fits in you could feel the surface if its bad.

And thank you Rexer. At the very beginning (and still) you were one of my greatest inspiration to start hydro growing. You gave me some of the most important tips and look where we now. :cheesygrinsmiley: I’m truly grateful.
Oh and PS. Gives us a small peek into the clone world! Didn’t even know that you have sucha interesting thing going on. Those are the best ones!

Looks great Verbalist but especially with the difficulty factor of a 2L reservoir! Great job. 2L res for DWC? No thanks ;)
Thanks mate! Haha, some soil grower could think thats a real piece of a work.
But I find it funny and challenging enough.

I'm really interested in this sort of setup, something I want to try but I know I will never get round to lol
Good looking plants :cool:
Don’t just dream bro! Let the old habits go.
I was actually just thinking how cool would be a 4 bucket system (1gallon pots) with a circulating reservoir water! :nerd-with-glasses:

Innit! The hormonal activity of cannabis is an exciting thing! Kelp can do miracles when used right.

Ouch! If your hand fits in you could feel the surface if its bad.

And thank you Rexer. At the very beginning (and still) you were one of my greatest inspiration to start hydro growing. You gave me some of the most important tips and look where we now. :cheesygrinsmiley: I’m truly grateful.
Oh and PS. Gives us a small peek into the clone world! Didn’t even know that you have sucha interesting thing going on. Those are the best ones!

Thanks mate! Haha, some soil grower could think thats a real piece of a work.
But I find it funny and challenging enough.

Don’t just dream bro! Let the old habits go.
I was actually just thinking how cool would be a 4 bucket system (1gallon pots) with a circulating reservoir water! :nerd-with-glasses:
Yeah, that's what I was thinking
But I only have 80 x 80 and those fkers get big fast, so isn't it a bit of a LST chop fest?

Back
Top Bottom