Verb’s DIY Mini 1 Gallon DWC, Tangerine Dream Auto, Mainlining Experiment

Thanks Bill.
Yeah hopefully. Oldest shoots on mains growing now almost at the same speed as the newest growth (mains tips).

Wondering if high cytokinin and low auxins Kelp products inhibits the stretch — how quickly you should get visible results after adding it to the feeding regime? @FelipeBlu Do you have any idea? How familiar you’re with Kelp/Seaweed products or kelp & cannabis relationship? :D
I don’t know much, but this is what MC says about the benefits of kelp:

Ascophyllum nodosum is a type of kelp (seaweed) that grows in the ocean. As a fertilizer additive, it has many benefits as it includes 70 different trace elements. It also has vitamins, enzymes, proteins and growth hormones that can all benefit plants. Supplementing can accelerate growth, increase fruiting and flowering and provide resistance to disease and insects. It also has natural auxins, cytokinins and gibberellins which act as natural Plant Growth Regulators (PGR’s).

I haven’t noticed much reduction of stretch during my use of MC.

1/29 Journal update

Howdy 420 fam and growers!
Here in Finland 1/29/2022 Valtteri,Waltteri (aka/in eng) Walter celebrates the name day. And you wont guess thats my name then :laughtwo:
But thats not all! From west is becoming a huge snowstorm and it was named (news named it) ”Waltteri storm” as it takes over Finland for the weekend. :rofl:
More than 50 cm of snow cover can be expected and maybe longer power outages in smaller locations due to heavy wet snow.

Fortunately living in big enough city if the power cuts off, it’ll be back in like 5 to 10mins.
I could post a pic (on off topic as we strictly follow the rules :nerd-with-glasses:) later during the weekend if this gets more hectic.

Anyways let’s get to the TD!
Yesterday gave her little defol and started to LST the longest shoots. Shes turning into stretch phase, like right now. Longest shoots stretched over 2cm over night!
1/28 - Day 25 / Before training:
BAA47A43-2655-47AD-A52B-2CBBCF9BDE56.jpeg

After training:
D32A2A84-1D17-4450-A788-978EE2290D50.jpeg

Today then I decided fuck it I’ll cut the two mains :cheesygrinsmiley:
Thats not really a manifold anymore as I let her grow couple spare nodes before cutting the main-lined tops.
But with little effort and LST:ing could pull out some interesting shape. Shes having total 12 growth tips right now. Hopefully the newest shoots catches up with the older ones.

1/29 - Day 26 / Before topping:
944E3B5A-E161-4F9C-A6D7-793FEBE4050E.jpeg

14B56630-AAEF-4612-81ED-C25AEB6A40B5.jpeg

After topping & LST:
EA5D3C60-93B8-44C1-A028-8E1A168386F0.jpeg

987DFF69-DD67-4967-9D5C-CD2DAC1E7EC4.jpeg

Shes have had some heavy handed surgery’s but this girl doesn’t really give two fugs bout out.
Lil TD already drinks like 0.5L per 12h. 2L of solution (if topping with water) lasts max two days before the waters like crystal clear and she has sucked everything out of it…Which causes pH to dip down in tox readings. @FelipeBlu can you remind me how to calculate reservoir molar mass of particular element? Units mg/L and do I remember right 1ppm = 1mg? Maintaining about 500-600ppm reservoir.

Thats it for today.
Greetings from snowy Finland!

Thanks for stoppin by. I appreciate it!
:passitleft:

Verb

Getting snip-happy, eh? lol
TD’s looking good,V!

@FelipeBlu can you remind me how to calculate reservoir molar mass of particular element? Units mg/L and do I remember right 1ppm = 1mg? Maintaining about 500-600ppm reservoir.
Yes, 1ppm = 1mg/L
Molar mass of an element is the atomic weight (from the periodic table), which is the mass in grams of Avogadro’s number of atoms of that element. So if you have 0.1 mole of K (MM = 19) in a liter, that would be 1.9g of K or 19,000 ppm.

Getting snip-happy, eh? lol
TD’s looking good,V!
She loved the 2nd topping! :hug:

2/1 Journal update

Hellloo 420 & growers!
TD growing very well and thrives. She’s already drinking like 0.5-0.6L/12h Having hard times to keep up with stable reservoir. So came up with the idea to mix two different premade topping mixes :idea:
One is a milder one, just keeping about 50ppm of Ca and 75ppm N. Then the other is stronger - for time when she has drank more than 0.5L and to bring ppm back to desired.

Current reservoir TDS: 660ppm / EC: 1.3 - Hovering between 500-700ppm.
I guess she could take a lot more, but this lady looks kinda stretchy one so don’t want any spare Phosphorus to be present there.

Currently I’m just mixing the left over bottles for her. Should get the new nutes already…

Anyway I think shes bout to get some really cool shape! I love it already. She could have 12 big colas.

Whilst changing the bucket, the paparazzi got her!

And then some ROOOOOT P*RN! (~110cm)

Shes getting a seat inside the tent as I set it up again. This gonna get crowded soon again :tommy:

Thanks for stoppin folks :thanks:
Appreciate all the feedback!

- Verb

Crazy beautiful roots :thedoubletake:
Thanks bro :cool:
Hydroguard is one of those things that I’m never going to ditch from the beneficials.

HG is the real magic potion. Works great with shitty soils/composts. And in DWC keeps the roots white as baby jesus. Never even thought about trying other root beneficials such as Canna’s zym or rhizotonic or w/e is the name.

Thanks bro :cool:
Hydroguard is one of those things that I’m never going to ditch from the beneficials.

HG is the real magic potion. Works great with shitty soils/composts. And in DWC keeps the roots white as baby jesus. Never even thought about trying other root beneficials such as Canna’s zym or rhizotonic or w/e is the name.
HG is some great stuff. Just wish they didn't bend us over price wise (it's insane what they charge for it in Canada). That's the main reason I've tried to find cheaper alternatives, that are just as effective.

Ordered a new(er) beneficial on the market, Microbial Mass. Figured I'd give it a try, ive been having some root problems.
It looks like it's under control now (had a touch of root rot started). Nice new white roots popping out this morning, and praying plants- that's gotta be a good sign!

If you can't find hydroguard- one direct replacement is Root Builder by Green Planet, it's also a baccullis solution.

2/9 Journal update

O’hoy! Its been a minute since did the last post. Sorry about that. :sorry:

Been doing experiments with the Kelp extracts (Ascophyllum) in this case been using RAW’s Kelp.
34378EED-C3D2-4CB4-AA98-5E1EB3D01712.jpeg

As Ascophyllum nodosum is rich is auxins, kinetins & gibberellins. And each hormone has their own benefits and can be used for different purposes with different dosages and combinations.

Kinetins promotes the cell division and this should promote new shoot (green growth) - Figuring if I should keep foliar feeding or apply to the reservoir. Continually feeding up Kinetin receptors should like ”overwrite” auxin and gibberelin receptors, which in theory should inhibit auxins activity (which works as a bio stimulant) and gibberellin which is responsible for stem growth.

my main purpose would be to use it as a natural pgr in order to preserve the desired appearance of the plant. And ofcourse to boost overall hormonal activity and the benefits.

So heres pics from the past ~9 days.

2/2 - Day 30 (no Kelp fed yet)
7C79B9C7-A274-44C9-8B47-CB55399EC9AB.jpeg

2/3 - Day 31 (Kelp applied first time to the reservoir)
F9DCC2D0-827A-48B2-BC4F-C418E142BCB3.jpeg

2/5 - Day 33 (Kelp foliar fed for two nights after lights turned off)
42BEB94F-A997-4BA5-BDAE-9299287D0D11.jpeg

68FD6991-CB2C-4D24-BB55-54717E6F5E6C.jpeg

Internode/stem length 2/5/2022
0B4D25A5-C4A8-4ADD-8FC9-87FA9D33F513.jpeg

2/6 - Day 34 (I’ve kept only foliar feeding at nights)
BAC108EF-66ED-4927-BC0A-9501BD9C5873.jpeg

2/6/2022 - nodes still stacking firmly
9071740D-2C72-417E-956B-E8ACD62B9AA7.jpeg

2/8 - Day 36 (between days 34-36 increased reservoir TDS up to 1100ppm) - Don’t know if excess Phosphorus caused this much elongation/new shoot elongation. Or then its just the strain & genetics, and I’m living in a placebo thinking Ive inhibited it :laughtwo:

But here the stretch is more noticeable:
83D13480-CCDF-4274-A1B4-886B8C41E0CF.jpeg

2/9 - Day 37 (Today)
So today changed the bucket water and diluted TDS down to 550ppm (1.1EC)
Tried to cut Phosphorus out almost completely for the rest of the stretch phase. Elemental P ppm goes low as 12ppm + maybe couple more ppm’s from pH minus.

Now the new shoot growth looks to explode as the bud set starts.
Hopefully it stays like that. I hate if the lower shoots stretch out and try to create own ”mini colas” - which will be larf/popcorns at the end of the growth then…
EA20CAAD-BB87-4D2E-95B0-4CE4D50DD5C4.jpeg

Sadly don’t have a comparison plant, so up comming Gorilla Glue seedlings will be my next lab rats. :nerd-with-glasses:
From now, today I changed the foliar feeding to be given to the roots. Mixed Kelp at 1/16tsp per liter (recommended woulda been 1/8 per gallon)

Thats pretty much the last week wrapped up.
TD auto moved into the tent yesterday as she starts to stinnnk and tent allows me to have a better control of VPD, light exposure and air circulation.

And spring 2022 ”auto tent mix” :D
I’ll be making a new (perpetual?) journo soon, so stay tuned fam & growers!

Anything to ask? HMU
:passitleft:

- Verb

Being from the Levant, J was probably a brown baby lol

Your girl is looking fab! :yummy:
Indeed :laugh: Wouldn’t say brown. Its coloured:rofl: And isn’t jesus sexual neutral name nowdays??

What a great update, thanks for the great information!

She seems to be enjoying the kelp! I'm still on the fence for the RAW kelp, vs the Ocean magic (Green planet), but you've been making me lean into trying the RAW version. Which is quite something, as both the plants and I love the Ocean Magic.

I'm looking forward to seeing your perpetual, and well, "auto mix tent" will get me running everytime!!! :green_heart:

What a great update, thanks for the great information!
Thanks Rex :circle-of-love:

She seems to be enjoying the kelp! I'm still on the fence for the RAW kelp, vs the Ocean magic (Green planet), but you've been making me lean into trying the RAW version. Which is quite something, as both the plants and I love the Ocean Magic.
Haha I suppose this is a good thing. :)
I was also bouncin between VeloKelp and RAW’s for a long. But decided to go for the concentrated extract as it is easier to use for many different ways.
RAW’s Kelp is mad extract! 1/8tsp per gallon of water makes the water darker than your morning coffee. Also its easy to dilude for foliar feed - as foliar fed kelp is about 20 times more effective.

RAW also has those dry nutrient extracts (Potassium, Phosphorus & micros/secondarys) which would be super cool to mix own NPK ratios for my own needs. Theyve even molasses, B-vit, Magnesium as a single components.

I guess theyre not our sponsor here. But my local hydro store offering the whole lineup. attractive!

I'm looking forward to seeing your perpetual, and well, "auto mix tent" will get me running everytime!!! :green_heart:
Will we up in couple days! :surf:
Hope this auto mix goes better than last comparison growth :D
Mrs. V’s Wedding Cake and medium looks to be waterlogged. Seedling been droopy past two days, havent grew at all. Thought I maybe buffered her soil a bit too much with the kelp and beneficials. Tried to tell her don’t mist the young seedling that much yet, but I guess like everybody has done that when first time growing :D being afraid of that the seedling doesn’t have enough moisture/water.

If the seedling woulda damping off - shouldn’t I see whitish dots/stripes at the base of the stalk(?)

:Namaste:
- V

Thanks Rex :circle-of-love:

Haha I suppose this is a good thing. :)
I was also bouncin between VeloKelp and RAW’s for a long. But decided to go for the concentrated extract as it is easier to use for many different ways.
RAW’s Kelp is mad extract! 1/8tsp per gallon of water makes the water darker than your morning coffee. Also its easy to dilude for foliar feed - as foliar fed kelp is about 20 times more effective.
The Ocean Magic is black too. Split some on concrete, the stain is still there :laughtwo: .
Here's something that might surprise you. I don't foliar feed. I understand it's benefits, and times when it's handy. But tried it once, screwed up, and got lucky. Also with the lights on 24hrs at the start of my grows, it's not that convenient lol.
RAW also has those dry nutrient extracts (Potassium, Phosphorus & micros/secondarys) which would be super cool to mix own NPK ratios for my own needs. Theyve even molasses, B-vit, Magnesium as a single components.
There's no doubt they make quite the impressive lineup. The problem is they over charge like crazy on some most of their stuff. Have you gone down the raw salts hole yet? In other words making your own nutrients. If you like the RAW products- take a hard and good look at JR Peter's or "Jack's ". You'll get better value. Long-term wise, I might end up using Jack's or two part MC. Or if I get the swing of things, or when I do I should say, I may dabble in making some of my own. I love and need goals like that to keep me focused.
I guess theyre not our sponsor here. But my local hydro store offering the whole lineup. attractive!
Buy some from them, their yucca and kelp. But take a good look elsewhere to save a lot of money, unless you find the convenience worth it.
Will we up in couple days! :surf:
Hope this auto mix goes better than last comparison growth :D
Mrs. V’s Wedding Cake and medium looks to be waterlogged. Seedling been droopy past two days, havent grew at all. Thought I maybe buffered her soil a bit too much with the kelp and beneficials. Tried to tell her don’t mist the young seedling that much yet, but I guess like everybody has done that when first time growing :D being afraid of that the seedling doesn’t have enough moisture/water.

If the seedling woulda damping off - shouldn’t I see whitish dots/stripes at the base of the stalk(?)

:Namaste:
- V
To be honest, it's been quite some time since I lost one to dampening off. It used to happen a lot, then I got away from Rockwool and went to Rapid Rooters. All I remember is it happened very fast. Sorry I know that's not much help.

The Ocean Magic is black too. Split some on concrete, the stain is still there :laughtwo: .
Here's something that might surprise you. I don't foliar feed. I understand it's benefits, and times when it's handy. But tried it once, screwed up, and got lucky. Also with the lights on 24hrs at the start of my grows, it's not that convenient lol.

There's no doubt they make quite the impressive lineup. The problem is they over charge like crazy on some most of their stuff. Have you gone down the raw salts hole yet? In other words making your own nutrients. If you like the RAW products- take a hard and good look at JR Peter's or "Jack's ". You'll get better value. Long-term wise, I might end up using Jack's or two part MC. Or if I get the swing of things, or when I do I should say, I may dabble in making some of my own. I love and need goals like that to keep me focused.

Buy some from them, their yucca and kelp. But take a good look elsewhere to save a lot of money, unless you find the convenience worth it.

To be honest, it's been quite some time since I lost one to dampening off. It used to happen a lot, then I got away from Rockwool and went to Rapid Rooters. All I remember is it happened very fast. Sorry I know that's not much help.
Been doing re search a lot for the new nutes. And MC and Jack’s seem to be USA more local brands. Haven’t seen any of those in Finnish markets.

In other hand RAW products then - Well theyre a bit pricey. But for example RAW’s dry Phosphorus and Potassium extracts are 9€ per 57g bag at my local.
Both are recommended to dose (of course would mix them for my own needs) between 1/16 - 1/4tsp per gallon.
So 18€ total for Phosphorus and Potassium. From 57g bag you’ll make almost 800L of solution.
So there is P&K - Then we would need micros and Nitrogen. Well I’m having some half full micro bottles, CalMag bottles and one of my silica bottles also contains all the needed micros.
Good additions would be hummus, yucca, molasses and maybe their dry Cal/Mag (11€ for 57g bag)

That would be just a hell of a calculating when making a new res patch for example …if not pre-mixing them..
Indeed that would be more challenging and interesting as I want to challenge myself all the time. :laughtwo:

But lel, Im being ”the boring one” and most likely I’ll be trying out Remo’s or Botanicares micro, bloom & CalMag combo. As my closet is full of additives and beneficials to meet all the nutritional needs incase something is lacking.
But hummus and molasses are the additives I need for my DWC as well! Already having those in fully organic form but DWC and organics doesn’t really work together.

Wifeys Wedding Cake still idling. Cots getting slightly yellowish hue and its growing like waaay to slowly. Started to wonder if I buffered her coco-soil compost mix with too much Kelp and it retarded the growth(?) :hmmmm:
I’ll post a pic of it soon. Lol shes like hella frustrated, but tried to tell her seedlings are the real pain in the ass… If the seedling wont do SOMETHING in next couple days, then we’ll germinate the 3rd gorilla glue. Meh I’d wanted to see how the Wedding Cake auto turns out.

I completely get the frustration with beanz that won't pop...I bought 5 northern light autos and all of them were bunk...that's how I ended up with the purple Kush it was they're replacement

Been doing re search a lot for the new nutes. And MC and Jack’s seem to be USA more local brands. Haven’t seen any of those in Finnish markets.
I always thought Jacks was global. MC yes I wasn't thinking there.
There is a similar lineup to Jack's that's available in Europe called Master blend. I'll PM you.
In other hand RAW products then - Well theyre a bit pricey. But for example RAW’s dry Phosphorus and Potassium extracts are 9€ per 57g bag at my local.
Both are recommended to dose (of course would mix them for my own needs) between 1/16 - 1/4tsp per gallon.
So 18€ total for Phosphorus and Potassium. From 57g bag you’ll make almost 800L of solution.
So there is P&K - Then we would need micros and Nitrogen. Well I’m having some half full micro bottles, CalMag bottles and one of my silica bottles also contains all the needed micros.
Hey if your ok with the RAW stuff, go for it! Im just a cheapo trying to help save a buck :cheesygrinsmiley:
Good additions would be hummus, yucca, molasses and maybe their dry Cal/Mag (11€ for 57g bag)
Save the hummus for pita bread. :laughtwo: Just kidding, isn't spell check fun?

I've seen the RAW granular molasses, but speaking from experience, I'll never have molasses in my res again anytime soon! I know it's good for the microbe herds, but what a mess of your system it makes...or it did mine (then again, it wasn't the granular version).
That would be just a hell of a calculating when making a new res patch for example …if not pre-mixing them..
Indeed that would be more challenging and interesting as I want to challenge myself all the time. :laughtwo:
Me too! And to be honest, it's only suggestions based upon how smart you are at this stuff, and as something I can see you enjoying.
But lel, Im being ”the boring one” and most likely I’ll be trying out Remo’s or Botanicares micro, bloom & CalMag combo. As my closet is full of additives and beneficials to meet all the nutritional needs incase something is lacking.
But hummus and molasses are the additives I need for my DWC as well! Already having those in fully organic form but DWC and organics doesn’t really work together.
Dude, your grows are anything but boring!
Wifeys Wedding Cake still idling. Cots getting slightly yellowish hue and its growing like waaay to slowly. Started to wonder if I buffered her coco-soil compost mix with too much Kelp and it retarded the growth(?) :hmmmm:
I’ll post a pic of it soon. Lol shes like hella frustrated, but tried to tell her seedlings are the real pain in the ass… If the seedling wont do SOMETHING in next couple days, then we’ll germinate the 3rd gorilla glue. Meh I’d wanted to see how the Wedding Cake auto turns out.
I hope the seedling pulls through, as I wanna see too :laughtwo: . And it can be disheartening for a first attempt. Luckily she has a talented grower at her side.

Back
Top Bottom