White Widow Max HomeBox Grow 2009!

wrx420

Hello!

I am new to the site, and wanted to show you all my set up, as well as ask questions and get some feed back from all of you seasoned vets!

I moved last year to a new area of the US, and have found it hard to find a dependable source of high quality buds for a good price. People here are charging 65 to 80 dollars for 1/8ths and its not any better than some generic BC buds. On an other note, when you go to buy an OZ of "haze" and show up with 400 bucks and you end up being 60 dollars short you know its time to grow your own!!!! The point here isn't buying more weight to save cash, the point is I'm tired of being ripped of and now I'm doing something about it!

My goal for this grow is to crop at least one plant and hopefully get a few clones.

Start:
I ordered 10 White Widow Max seeds from a seed bank, stealth. About 5 days later, a small package containing a CD case with some great 70's music on it (I'm assuming I never listened to the CD) Taking the CD case apart I found my 10 WWM seeds and 5 unknown seeds the seed bank, along from their "buy any 10 seeds get 5 free" promotion.

Equipment:
Homebox XS
rsz_homebox_set_up_008.jpg

ArticSun Light Reflector
rsz_homebox_set_up_003.jpg

LumaTek Ballast (250Watt/120Volt)and OptiLUME 250 Watt Metal Halide Lamp
rsz_homebox_set_up_004.jpg

rsz_homebox_set_up_013.jpg

rsz_homebox_set_up_016.jpg

Since I had 15 seeds to start my project off with I decided to take 5 of the UK strain and 5 of the WWM seeds and begin my grow! I've read Cannabis Cultivation A complete Grower's Guide By Mel Thomas. I used his suggestions and had success sprouting 3 plants. I guess there are many reasons seeds do not germinate, and I am going to assume that the reason the UK strain didn't do so well was because the seeds were old, and the seed bank was trying to get rid of them. So the 2 plants in the back are White Widow Max, and the one in front is the UK strain. This picture is 13 days after the seeds went into the soil.
rsz_homebox_set_up_019.jpg

Ok I am going to stop for now, its getting light out, and I am lost with the photos I have uploaded. Tomorrow I will take some pictures of the Soil and other nutrients Ive used. Also FYI the soil i planted the seeds in has not been treated with nutrients or fertilizers, I guess that is bad for seedlings and can burn the roots or stunt the growth, I have my soil mix ready for when the plants are stronger, but I still need to get a PH test on it, to make sure its with in the limits.

Nice setup!
rsz_homebox_set_up_008.jpg

You have the photos uploaded so to get them into your post just browse to your photos,click on the one you want to post then right click on it,choose properties,then copy the url/address.Then when at your post use the insert image button.(The button with the sun and mountains)Paste the url into that box an bingo,your pic is up. ;)

Welcome, and good luck... I look forward to watching this as WW will be by next project.

Hey thanks guys for the replies. So first things first. I guess the White Widow Max is just a better version of White Widow. It is supposed to be a heartier plant that yields about 25% more than the original White Widow and is less temperamental. I chose WWM because it is a good indoor strain and has high yields. Since I had seeds that were not feminized I assumed I wouldnt get yeild out of all the seeds I planted the first time so i wanted something that would be worth the time in weight if only one plant budded.

As for the pictures! Thank you minus for the feed back, those were the exact steps I used to try and post my pics. The only thing I can think of is that I tried to load the pictures before they were "approved". I will try them again right now.

High Brother wrx420

What you're doing is posting the link to the page where the photo is - instead of posting the link to the photo.

They failed to display initially when you used the and then when you linked to the threads using you were still just linking to the page where the photo was For example you posted this try this 1) go to the link I pasted above 2) right click on the large photo in the center of the page and select properties 3) Copy that address (it ends in .jpg) Use the insert picture button and insert the link Note - I used an "*" instead of an "H" so the link would display I'll fix the photos above for you ;)

Welcome aboard wrx420. +reps for starting a journal and good luck. Your girls look good. I'm tuned in. If you have the same genetics I do, those widows can get Big. Check my journal if ya get a minute to get an idea, but then again I had one growing hydro and the soil was smaller. Unfortunately they didn't make the cut but my freebie did.

Here are the specs for the WWM for those wondering:
White Widow Max is New improved version of White Widow. With a THC content of well over 20%, White Widow Max seeds are of exceptional quality and will yield more as well as producing more consistent plants than the White Widow original. White Widow Max produces large crystalline buds and grows well indoor or hydroponically. Comes highly recommended. Truly premium marijuana seeds.
INDOOR / OUTDOOR Indoor / can be grown outdoor
TYPE Indica / Sativa mix
THC very high, +20%
PLANT HEIGHT Short 45-875cm (I think this is a typo on the site)
FLOWERING TIME Weeks 8-10
HARVEST September /Oct if outdoor
YIELD Up to 550g

Hey Thank you so much for the help! I am new to blogging and forums, so it is super nice to get a helping hand!

On a side note. I am having problems with my temperatures. I have the light off during the heat of the day but the temp is still getting over 90. During the Night it is usually at 84-86 degrees but the spikes during the day are not good.

I have a 6 inch duct fan venting from the light, which pulls a lot of heat out, but I was wondering if anyone knew if it was better to keep the glass in the light fixture or to remove it.

With August coming up and the heat rising I think I may need to buy an AC unit for my room, but I would like to avoid this if possible. Not only because of the cost of buying an AC unit but also because I have a ton of power running to my room right now and I dont want to over load the circuits.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated!

Hey Kannabis Kid!!! thanks for the input and for getting the WWM specs! I was about to post them when I saw you had beat me to it! I am going to check out your grow asap and then get back to you with some questions!!!

No problem. Didn't mean to encroach on your journal. About how many hours out of the day get above 90? Just trying to think of cooling solutions.

Hey wrx420!Glad to see you got your pic/post situation figured out.Keep em comin man,looking great!
:peace:

LOL KID!!! you didnt "encroach" at all! In fact you saved me time and I think you for that!

The temp gets above 90 for about 2 hours and then it gets back to under 88. But as I said its not even the hottest part of the summer and I know that the temp will go up at least an other 5 degrees.

I did post a comment and question on your grow log!!

Hey, a little tip for you that worked for me when I had a smaller cabinet. Everyday I would take a freeze a 2 liter of bottled water at work and bring it home and place in my cabinet. I think it helped knock the temps down a degree or two while the plants slept thru the hottest part of the day.

+reps...

Cool.
I didn't even think of a frozen 2 liter bottle of water. Not sure how available it is to you or if you're interested, but dry ice is relatively cheap, about $2/pound here. You could kill 2 birds with 1 stone, cooling and co2 release to promote growth. Not sure what levels of co2 would be released. I know you don't want too much of it in your room.

The widows were 2 1/2' and 3'. The waterfarm being the tallest. Thanks for checking it out.

OMG POKERSHARK!!!!!!!!! I love it when people think outside of the box! That is a great Idea! I will deff try that and I hope it works!!

Hey Kid, the dry Ice is a good idea as well. I have done alot of reading and I guess that TOO much cO2 isnt bad for the plants they will only use what they can and the rest will be wasted. But to keep the temp down and get the c02 at the same time would be super sick!!!

I am going to freeze some agua right now!

Also I just transplanted the little guys into some 6 inch pots. I am debating if i should get some 8 inch pots or just keep them in the 6 inch pots. I am thinking the 6 inch pots will help control the size a little bit.

It has been a few days since I last posted.

Today is Tuesday August 4, and it is about 3 am.

I have transplanted the plants into 5 and 1/2 inch pots. I did not take any photos of the root balls, but O boy were they healthy looking! Nice clean white roots popping out of all sides of the soil!

The plants have now been in the larger pots for a few days and the growth has just sky rocketed.

I also started my nutrients. I purchased the FaxFarm trio pack with Grow Big 6-4-4, Liquid Plant Food Big Bloom, Tiger Bloom Extra Strength 2-8-4.

I read that one of the most common mistakes is over feeding your plants, so I made a weak solution to start out with, I used half the recommended amount.

I was amazed at how much the plants grew in a day from the nutrients!!!

I also had started to train the plants to grow up some bamboo stalks, but a day after I transplanted I noticed that there was a problem with one of the plants. The edges are curling up on the lower parts of the leaves and one side of the plant is growing slightly faster than the other, but it is noticeable. So I removed the bamboo. The stalks are very strong so I may not even need the bamboo until I flower.

rsz_new_035.jpg

So I transplanted into some fresh soil just to be cautious.

Here are some pictures!!!

All 3 babies! They are getting so much bigger!
rsz_new_033.jpg

Here is the Unknown Strain!

rsz_new_038.jpg

here is the largest of the 3, it is a WWM hopefully female!

O i almost forgot to tell you, that there is a SUPER strong odor comming from this plant!!! Anyone know if that is a good sign of being a female?
rsz_new_042.jpg

same plant to give some perspective
rsz_new_059.jpg

and here is the undergrowth!
rsz_new_062.jpg

mmm she smells so skunky delicious i just want to gobble her all up right now!!!

here is all three of them, I got a new min/max thermostat which is the wire on the wall.
rsz_new_057.jpg

Because of the smell I invested in a carbon filter, but sadly my exhaust fan wasnt strong enough to push the air out. I returned the filter and discussed with "mom" (the grow shop woman she is the shit!!!) for a while and she suggested that I the "cover up method" of odor control. I got a 50 dollar month long Ozium dispenser. It runs off of 2 C batteries and spits a little puff of spray every 15 minutes. I am hoping this works for now, but any suggestions on filters would be great!

Back
Top Bottom