Xlr8's Hydroponic Adventures & Photos From The Garden - 2012

Re: Xlr8's Hydroponic Adventures and Photos from the Garden - 2012

Of the plants in the tent (which were seed), I'll be culling males as soon as I identify them and removing them from the tent. I may keep a male in a separate room and harvest a little pollen, but I'm undecided. Might depend on how much energy I have to dedicate to the project. In the future, I'll probably run clones of confirmed females now that I have a little extra room for that sort of thing.

Right now, the only confirmed female is OG Kush, but that was a fem seed, so it adds little clarification. However, she is showing female pre-flowers, and that's always worth smiling over. The short Jack the Ripper appears to have 2 very tiny pistils showing and looks to be a female. The other not so sure yet. One of the Pandoras Box looks male to me and I suspect both may be male, which would be a bit of a bummer. Really hoping the Deadhead OG is female, but it's not giving many clues yet.

Just a few pictures...

Here's a look inside the tent - just a few days into bloom phase. I've been really tying them down - they'd be considerably taller otherwise. The (4) primary tops that resulted from UBT topping are laid down horizontally just above the rim of the pot, and there are little tops springing up along the horizontal stem:
feb_23_1.jpg

This is the Super Lemon Haze I have in coco coir, just topped her:
feb_23_4.jpg

This is a Lucy nug that I just ground up and vaped - this is from the bottom of the jar and not the best nug, but pretty representative of how resinous they are. Lemon, fuel and sandlewood are things that come to mind when vaping her. Sorry, I was high with a camera in my hand and felt like taking a few photos. ;) Notice how heavy the tricome buildup is near the base of the bud - it's crazy:
feb_23_2.jpg

feb_23_3.jpg

I was lucky enough to get some seed from NoMercy straight from Cees himself. I grew alot of nice buds from his get, very happy when I see him around. I have learned alot from him over the years.

If your worried about bug issues coming from the soil then I will tell you a trick that works well with soil and hydro. Mosquito Dunks left in your waterbucket or reservoir kills fungus gnat larvae or just about any bug in larvae stage. HotShot peststrips helps control most pest problems for months.
I have fought many of bug problems over the years and had pest free problems for years at a time. Most pests are accidently introduced to a grow by the growers themselves. I won't even walk on grass before I enter my grow areas and shower if I was outdoors or working in the yard.
You really should try a dirt grow someday in the future, at least for the experience. What's more natural than dirt?
Poop! And turds work great with dirt or so I am told.

Hi Alaskan1 -

Yes, it works - no question. Not a myth. Just a matter of... is it better? Is it strain dependant? Will yield suffer, while quality improves, or will the opposite happen? Neither? To know for sure, you'd have to run comparison like HighFlyin is considering. I'm going to have to go by my gut at this point, as I'm not doing comparisons. I'm still not sure if/when I'll diminish the schedule or leave it at 11/13 for the majority of bloom... Still deciding on that one.

I have seen people claim it made their plants go into bloom (GLR veg schedule), a couple of them. Not sure if that was strain specific issues, or grower error issues... but there have been people claim they had issues with GLR that way. Most opinions seem positive to me, though. Like someone else pointed out, it's more popular here on 420mag than elsewhere, too.

Well we shall find out as the grow I'm starting Sunday will get the GLR schedule. Only problem I have is I have nothing to compare it to as this will only be my second grow. Really can't call my first grow anything but a learning experience.

I was lucky enough to get some seed from NoMercy straight from Cees himself. I grew alot of nice buds from his get, very happy when I see him around. I have learned alot from him over the years.

If your worried about bug issues coming from the soil then I will tell you a trick that works well with soil and hydro. Mosquito Dunks left in your waterbucket or reservoir kills fungus gnat larvae or just about any bug in larvae stage. HotShot peststrips helps control most pest problems for months.
I have fought many of bug problems over the years and had pest free problems for years at a time. Most pests are accidently introduced to a grow by the growers themselves. I won't even walk on grass before I enter my grow areas and shower if I was outdoors or working in the yard.
You really should try a dirt grow someday in the future, at least for the experience. What's more natural than dirt?
Poop! And turds work great with dirt or so I am told.

Great tip! I think I've repped you too recently, but that's an awesome tip. Another way bugs get into a grow? My wife bringing inside some of our outdoor house plants. Doh! She supports my growing, but is ignorant of the risk she put us in - next thing you know I was dealing with fungus gnats. I hate those things... Could be worse, I know. Finally knocked 'em out with aggressive use of the Sierra Natural Sciences stuff from MOTM prize package. (Can't remember the right product number). No more kumquat bushes in the house. ;)

Cees knows his stuff alright, and I like his unique style (both growing and communication style) and perspective. I'd like to grow his No Mercy Special someday.

I'll definitely try soil eventually. Not sure when, but eventually!

yeaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh Baaaaaaaaaaaaaby! :high-five:

It all looks great, Brother! :bravo:

:thanks: Mr. Krip!

Garden is extremely healthy but wouldn't expect anything less :thumb:

Lucy nugs are looking tasty bro and that is one pretty auto you had there :bravo:

:peace:

Thanks Godspeed, I appreciate that immensely! Love the Lucy, but I'm burning through it quickly. I'm so bummed, down to my last nug of Chocolope, and about 3/4z of Lucy.

Yes, the BBA actually placed pretty well in POTM. I wasn't sure it would get much love, being an auto, but I think she placed 3rd when I ran her?

Thanks for the support and kind words my friend. :high-five:

Well we shall find out as the grow I'm starting Sunday will get the GLR schedule. Only problem I have is I have nothing to compare it to as this will only be my second grow. Really can't call my first grow anything but a learning experience.

Can't wait to see you get it all going. Make sure you have a good handle on temps and environment before sticking plants in there. A lot of people make the mistake (I have too) of trying to dial it in on the fly, but that can be a lot trickier and can cause your plants and yield to suffer. Better to have the kinks worked out first if possible... :goodluck:

Another confirmed female in the tent - the really compact (so far) Jack the Ripper is showing female pre-flowers. I'm psyched. I love this plant and it's tight node structure, and I hope the second attempt at cloning her works out. I suspect this is the "keeper" pheno Subcool talks about.

Bad news, however, is that it's looking pretty certain that both Pandora's Box plants are going to be male. I think the other Jack the Ripper might be too, but the Deadhead OG is looking more like it'll be a girl. That would leave me with 3 plants to flower in the Flo N Gro, which isn't a bad number for this tent size: (1) Deadhead OG, (1) Jack the Ripper, (1) OG Kush. The OG Kush I have has been a funky plant though, and I'm not sure if she'll come out of it during bloom or not.

Now that I have a small separate veg space, I'll have other options to stick in the tent ala Smartpots if I have space for some reason...

The latest clones I took (SLH topping, and another Jack the Ripper from the now confirmed female) are looking good so far. A goal I've set is to have a good JTR and Deadhead clone I can make into moms with the Super Lemon Haze.

The plants in the Flo N Gro are now in about day 6 of bloom.

Another confirmed female in the tent - the really compact (so far) Jack the Ripper is showing female pre-flowers. I'm psyched. I love this plant and it's tight node structure, and I hope the second attempt at cloning her works out. I suspect this is the "keeper" pheno Subcool talks about.

Bad news, however, is that it's looking pretty certain that both Pandora's Box plants are going to be male. I think the other Jack the Ripper might be too, but the Deadhead OG is looking more like it'll be a girl. That would leave me with 3 plants to flower in the Flo N Gro, which isn't a bad number for this tent size: (1) Deadhead OG, (1) Jack the Ripper, (1) OG Kush. The OG Kush I have has been a funky plant though, and I'm not sure if she'll come out of it during bloom or not.

Now that I have a small separate veg space, I'll have other options to stick in the tent ala Smarpots if I have space for some reason...

The latest clones I took (SLH topping, and another Jack the Ripper from the now confirmed female) are looking good so far. I goal I've set is to have a good JTR and Deadhead clone I can make into moms with the Super Lemon Haze.

The plants in the Flo N Gro are now in about day 6 of bloom.

w00t! Go, X, GO!

Can't wait to see you get it all going. Make sure you have a good handle on temps and environment before sticking plants in there. A lot of people make the mistake (I have too) of trying to dial it in on the fly, but that can be a lot trickier and can cause your plants and yield to suffer. Better to have the kinks worked out first if possible... :goodluck:

I'm a bit worried on the tent temp as it's reading between 82 and 88 depending on which gauge you believe. I haven't installed the 6 inch intake fan because the NEW ONE out of the box didn't work! So back to Home Depot I go tomorrow.
The exhaust fan is working wonderfully though. Need to also pick up some hose clamps as the duct tape isn't working all that well sealing up all the hose. RH is at 40% but there is no water in there yet so we shall see. Going to have two fans in the tent spreading the cool wind and the love.

I got the yo yo lamp adjusters with the lamps I bought and those things are junk ! ! ! Going to home depot tomorrow to buy some gool ol fashioned S hooks and chain. Sometimes technology can suck ass!

So ya think I'm on target?

Lookin good X. Still reading ur last journal on page 70 now but thought I would start reading this one before I get to far behind. Keep up the good work

Drive Bye. I see y'all talking about plants that haven't seen man or been helped bye man. What they call Land-race I guess. They are plants that are true, or pure, to a area. Not having any other way to make seed but selfing or pollinating it's own strain. Alot of Land-races from what I hear aren't as vigorous as the F1 hybrids, or as potient. But they make great building blocks for new strain. I guess everything has room for improvement.
Also seen y'all talking soil. Soil is so forgiving. If your PH or nert's are off, they foregive ya. I always keep dirt as my mainstay. Then I dabble in hydro. Alot more work in the hydro's. But I do think Hydro makes for a faster growing plant. But myself, it don't taste near as good out of hydro as it does out of soil. I guess that wood depend on the grower and what fert's he uses, but I'll stick to the soil. Like Smith said whats more simple than natural? Keepem Green Xlr I'll be looking around.

Hey Brother, I got a question for you on the Rapid Rooters, since I'm just switching from Rockwool.

I noticed the instructions said to leave 1/4" of water in the tray. I'm assuming you don't actually do that (I don't like stagnant water!!!) and just keep the plugs moist like with Rockwool???

Do they tend to dry out quickly or something? :hmmmm:

Any advice is appreciated! :thanks:

I'm a bit worried on the tent temp as it's reading between 82 and 88 depending on which gauge you believe. I haven't installed the 6 inch intake fan because the NEW ONE out of the box didn't work! So back to Home Depot I go tomorrow.
The exhaust fan is working wonderfully though. Need to also pick up some hose clamps as the duct tape isn't working all that well sealing up all the hose. RH is at 40% but there is no water in there yet so we shall see. Going to have two fans in the tent spreading the cool wind and the love.

I got the yo yo lamp adjusters with the lamps I bought and those things are junk ! ! ! Going to home depot tomorrow to buy some gool ol fashioned S hooks and chain. Sometimes technology can suck ass!

So ya think I'm on target?

Yoyos stink, the low tech route will work, but I really like the ratcheting kind of light adjusters that you find in grow stores. Can't think of the brand, but they work with ratchets. Definitely better than the yoyos, and I prefer them to old school links and s hooks.

Temps are a worry, but I think I shared my thoughts in your thread and via PM. Sounds like you have the right idea.

40% is good - I ended up buying a dehumidifier for times of year when it's humid here, and basically I dehumidify the general area where the intake pulls air. But, unless you get extreme humidity like I sometimes do, circulating fans will really drive it down.

Measure your temps at "plant height" if possible. You'll get it dialed in, just make sure not to settle for something iffy. Get it right before you grow if you can, I really think you'll do yourself a big favor... Good luck! :)

Hey Brother, I got a question for you on the Rapid Rooters, since I'm just switching from Rockwool.

I noticed the instructions said to leave 1/4" of water in the tray. I'm assuming you don't actually do that (I don't like stagnant water!!!) and just keep the plugs moist like with Rockwool???

Do they tend to dry out quickly or something? :hmmmm:

Any advice is appreciated! :thanks:

Hey Mr. K! Yes, I just keep them moist like you would rock wool. Although, I've left a small amount of water in the bottom of the tray for added humidity if I have heat below the tray like a seedling mat. I found a way to suspend a seedling heat mat about 2" below my clone tray and it adds just enough heat under clones without being too much. But no standing water for me anyway... For kicks, if you haven't g*ogle "TGA subcool cloning method" and see how he clones with rooters.

Xlr8, do you watch much of the weed nerd?

I do now! Didn't know about it until now. I like Subcool, this is the first time I've grown his stuff, but I've had Jilly Bean before and loved it. He shares a lot of great tips on breeding and propagating, and I've heard his soil mix is amazing. Now I'll be watching those vids for hours!

For anyone who hasn't seen it, here's the first episode:

The Weed Nerd Episode #1 - YouTube

:thanks: HMG! :high-five:

Lookin good X. Still reading ur last journal on page 70 now but thought I would start reading this one before I get to far behind. Keep up the good work

Glad to have you here, that's a lot of reading! :thanks:

Drive Bye. I see y'all talking about plants that haven't seen man or been helped bye man. What they call Land-race I guess. They are plants that are true, or pure, to a area. Not having any other way to make seed but selfing or pollinating it's own strain. Alot of Land-races from what I hear aren't as vigorous as the F1 hybrids, or as potient. But they make great building blocks for new strain. I guess everything has room for improvement.
Also seen y'all talking soil. Soil is so forgiving. If your PH or nert's are off, they foregive ya. I always keep dirt as my mainstay. Then I dabble in hydro. Alot more work in the hydro's. But I do think Hydro makes for a faster growing plant. But myself, it don't taste near as good out of hydro as it does out of soil. I guess that wood depend on the grower and what fert's he uses, but I'll stick to the soil. Like Smith said whats more simple than natural? Keepem Green Xlr I'll be looking around.

I'll try soil eventually. I have been growing my own for a few years now, but a couple years ago, we got ahold of some really good Humboldt bud that was soil grown, and I feel pretty confident that nothing I've grown in hydro is as downright DANK smelling and tasting as that was. There were 2 strains we picked up, and they both out-reeked, out-tasted anything I've grown. Just opening the bags made you worry the neighbors would smell it. You had to wash your hands every time you touched a nug, or you would flat reek. The flavors were much more pronounced, too. Don't get me wrong, I've grown great tasting bud, but there was something much more intense about the flavors/smell of the soil stuff, seems to me.

Thanks for dropping by my friend!

Back
Top Bottom