Xlr8's "Flo N Gro" Hydro Multiple Strains 2011

You have been notified.............the journal has begun! :high-five:

Congrats on your new journal! It will help people who view your posts here, and on others' journals to find your new thread, if you add a link to the journal in your signature:thumb: If you need any help doing this, we'd all be more than happy to lend a hand:high-five:

Adding a link in your signature is helpful to you as well, in that, the more traffic you're able to attract to your journal, the more likely you will be to get helpful insight when you need it! Look forward to seeing your grow-
-Q:Namaste:

This is from a book called, "The Propagation and Breeding of Distinctive Cannabis", by Robert Connell Clarke.

It's a snippet that I thought some may find useful regarding the breeding of plants for feminized seeds. It touches briefly on "end of season" staminate flowers and the minor distinction between these, and more traditional hermaphrodite plants (at least as it relates to their value in breeding). As I read up on breeding topics a little, it becomes more clear that if one wishes to produce feminized seeds, the females involved should preferably be from regular seed to reduce chances of further hermaphroditism in future generations. I think this topic got some related discussion in Twelve12's thread, but wasn't wanting to derail his thread any more. Anyway, I found this info to be valuable - and wanted to share...

"...However, a cross can be made which will produce nearly all pistillate or staminate individuals. If the proper pistillate hermaphrodite plant is selected as the pollen-parent and a pure pistillate plant is selected as the seed-parent it is possible to produce an F1, and subsequent generations, of nearly all pistillate offspring. The proper pistillate hermaphrodite pollen-parent is one which has grown as a pure pistillate plant and at the end of the season, or under artificial environmental stress, begins to develop a very few staminate flowers. If pollen from these few staminate flowers forming on a pistillate plant is applied to a pure pistillate seed parent, the resulting F1 generation should be almost all pistillate with only a few pistillate hermaphrodites. This will also be the case if the selected pistillate hermaphrodite pollen source is selfed and bears its own seeds. Remember that a selfed hermaphrodite gives rise to more hermaphrodites, but a selfed pistillate plant that has given rise to a limited number of staminate flowers in response to environmental stresses should give rise to nearly all pistillate offspring. The F1 offspring may have a slight tendency to produce a few staminate flowers under further environmental stress and these are used to produce F2 seed. A monoecious strain produces 95+% plants with many pistillate and staminate flowers, but a dioecious strain produces 95+% pure pistillate or staminate plants. A plant from a dioecious strain with a few inter-sexual flowers is a pistillate or staminate hermaphrodite. Therefore, the difference between monoecism and hermaphrodism is one of degree, determined by genetics and environment."

Couple of questions for everybody...

I'm not wanting to do another journal again at the moment, but seem to be struggling with letting go of this one. My reason for not wanting to journal this next grow is related to my up and down health lately - and not wanting the pressure to maintain it when I'm "down". Plus, I'm not interested in journaling every single grow. I like Mr. Smith's way of thinking - maybe I'll journal when I have something new to try/show, vs. everytime I sprout a new seed. I'm just speaking here for myself, and the reality that nothing is easy at the moment.

I was thinking about starting a thread that had a title like "xlr8's ramblings and occassional photos from the garden" or something... It wouldn't be a strict journal, but at least I'd have a place to share pictures, thoughts, ideas, etc. without taking other peoples threads off-tangent. Would anybody want to sub to this? Where would I put this thread - in the journal section still?

Anybody have any other ideas (I am realizing that I need a thread of my own, I can't seem to shut up!)?

Thanks in advance for the input! :thanks:

I'm not wanting to do another journal again at the moment, but seem to be struggling with letting go of this one. My reason for not wanting to journal this next grow is related to my up and down health lately - and not wanting the pressure to maintain it when I'm "down". Plus, I'm not interested in journaling every single grow. I like Mr. Smith's way of thinking - maybe I'll journal when I have something new to try/show, vs. everytime I sprout a new seed. I'm just speaking here for myself, and the reality that nothing is easy at the moment.

I was thinking about starting a thread that had a title like "xlr8's ramblings and occassional photos from the garden" or something... It wouldn't be a strict journal, but at least I'd have a place to share pictures, thoughts, ideas, etc. without taking other peoples threads off-tangent. Would anybody want to sub to this? Where would I put this thread - in the journal section still?

Anybody have any other ideas (I am realizing that I need a thread of my own, I can't seem to shut up!)?

xlr8's non grow journal sounds good to me.....it would still be about our girls. Great idea, you would still have you're toe in the water. :Namaste:

Not sure where they would put it, like you said.

Xlr8's Musings and Illustrations - A View Into the Restless Mind of a 420 Gardener

It would go in General 420 Talk in the 420 LOUNGE

And yes, I'd sub in a hot second.

X, you are now in the ranks of the better growers here, IMO, and any thread you have going will attract interesting, and informative conversation, thus, spreading awareness of Cannabis. Plus, we all love to shoot the shizzle with ya. So, yeah, I'd sub in a heartbeat, and I'm sure it would serve as a fine way for us all to share pertainent info regarding growing! DO IT BROTHER!!:high-five:

Oh, and please take it easy on yourself, I wish I could help you with your down days Brother:Namaste:

Well, might as well wrap this one up. Thanks again to all who subbed and followed along the way. You guys are the best!

If you haven't, please join me in my new thread - see link in my signature, or click here:

Xlr8's Hydroponic Adventures and Photos from the Garden - 2012

Thought I'd repost the smoke report and summary posts since they got buried about 15-20 pages back. I guess that's a good note, too - the grow itself goes through about page 89. The rest is monkey business, bull malarkey, and back slappin' -- with a few nuggets of pretty good discussions on growing cannabis.

:thanks:

Well I think I'm about wrapped up with this journal, but I realized I hadn't done a real smoke report for Skywalker, Lavender or Magic Bud. So, I'm hoping this rectifies that somewhat. While I was at it, I thought I'd cut and paste some of my Lucy and Chocolope smoke report info into here so it's a complete wrap up.

I want to thank everyone for following my journal, helping along the way, and just being so fantastically supportive. You guys (and gals!) rock! :high-five:

I'm planning on taking a break until at least the first of the year, but I'm going to keep popping into everyone's journals and participating in the community here as time allows (until then).

Skywalker review (Vape report)

Taste/Smell: Blueberry all the way. Fantastic taste and smell. Probably the best "fruit" flavored weed I've had taste-wise. I really enjoy vaping Skywalker

High: Very nice mostly indica style high. Helps with general pain relief, some euphoria at the beginning, but mostly a kick back and veg sort of high. I like it quite a bit more than I expected, and find myself reaching for it more than I thought I would.

Overall: I like Lucy and Chocolope best, but Skywalker is a fun diversion and really good bud in it's own right. The taste/smell is fantastic, and when I want a good indica stone, I've been reaching for this quite a bit.​

Skywalker:
11_15_7.jpg

nov_27_hvst_5.jpg

dec_8_update_9.jpg

Lavender smoke/vape report:

Taste/Smell: Mostly fresh flowers or... lavender. An appropriate name. Seemed a little more grape early in the cure, but mostly fresh flowers now. Reminds me quite a bit of Purple Urkle I've had. Very yummy weed, though I'm not always in the mood for the flowery taste.

High: Strong indica high. A little spacey at the start, but settles into couch lock and will flat knock me out in short order. This is our bedtime bud, and is best not vaped/smoked if you plan on doing anything with your day. Really makes me melt and not care about anything.

Overall: This plant produced giant buds and is a spectacular indica. Mine didn't purple much, but it sure had pretty buds. I love this at the end of a long day, and feel at ease with the world after vaping it. When I just want to veg, it's this or Skywalker. I prefer the Skywalker flavor and high, but the Lavender is flat narcotic - and sometimes that's what I want.​

Lavender (don't forget to vote in the Nug of the Month competition!):
nov_20_5.jpg

nov_27_hvst_2.jpg

dec_8_update_4.jpg

Magic Bud smoke/vape report:

Like the Chocolope, the Magic Bud wasn't given much space. I've grown Magic Bud a few times before, and for a reason. It has a helluva good high.

Taste/Smell: Most of the time, Magic Bud has just had a slightly flower, fresh flavor. Nothing special, but fresh and good. This particular Magic Bud just flat out has mediocre flavor. Based on flavor alone, it's a dud.

High: Fortunately this Magic Bud still has a nice high. It's not as good as others I've grown, but it's pretty good. Based on high alone, I still find myself wanting it in the rotation. It helps with my pain, it is a good hybrid blend of uplifting and narcotic. Nicely in between, which is why I've grown it a few times.

Overall: Every other Magic Bud I've grown had that "just took a hat off my head" feeling with the high, or you would feel the socks on your feet... but this one doesn't. Still, a good high and nicely potent. I wish it didn't taste so blah, but I still like the effect/high.​

Magic Bud:
11_15_6.jpg

Lucy smoke/vape report (as previously reported...): ;)

Taste/Smell: The flavor of the Lucy has already matured into something special and hard to describe. Initially it had a bit of a lemon pinesol thing going on, which actually tasted much better than it sounds. Now it's changed a bit, and has a lemony fuel taste that has a hint of sandlewood and other complex almost musky flavors. There are minor floral tones as well. It's difficult to describe, but the flavor is so good that I'm almost obsessed with it. I'm drawn to it. Even the lingering aftertaste leaves me licking my lips and brings a smile to my face. I've had great tasting weed before, but nothing with the complex, hard to describe flavor this has.

High: The high (of at least this particular Lucy), is not quite as described on their site. I feel no trippiness per se', but I float comfortably and feel motivated, energized, and creative after vaping it. No paranoia, no trippiness. Just happiness, positive energy and motivated creativity.

Overall: This is some very strong, killer weed, and the closest I've come to a truly special plant. Combined with a really unique look, and heavy resin-loaded buds this weed (or perhaps this particular pheno) seems to have it all.​

Lucy:
nov_20_3.jpg

11_23_lucy1.jpg

dec_8_update_7.jpg

Chocolope smoke/vape report:

Taste/Flavor: I love Chocolope so far. The flavor is maturing as it cures, but it started out fruity and seems to have a hint of chocolate now. I love the flavor even if it's hard to describe... The fruitiness really caught me off guard. Fruit loops comes to mind, with a tootsie roll aftertaste. The Tootsie Roll flavor is starting to become more pronounced as the cure progresses.

High: The effects are euphoric, and it definitely makes me giggle. Overall an upbeat high that makes colors more vivid, music better, and has very little couchlock. It's a Sativa high all the way, but it really helps with my nerve pain, which I have had a really hard time treating. Left my sore legs feeling warm and tingly, but not pained. Yahoo!

Overall: Both my wife and I are liking it on par with Lucy, which is saying a lot! Very fun stuff, and fantastic on my nerve pain.​

Chocolope:
dec_8_update_1.jpg

dec_16_1.jpg

dec_16_3.jpg

:thanks: for reading, supporting and following! :bong:

:peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace:

Final numbers now that (almost) everything is in jars:

Lavender 5.15z
Skywalker 2.36z
Lucy 3.6z
Magic Bud .8z

Total, 11.91z (excluding Chocolope not yet harvested)

I learned a ton, and the results will be much better in the future I think. Overall, I'm happy and have some great meds to boot. It's alllll good. ;)

Can't wait to try the Chocolope now... :) :)

Just for kicks, as of this post there are 3,450 likes, 16 thread ratings, 5.0 avg. (thanks guys and gals!!!) I just want to see how this changes over time if at all, lol...

This journal can now be officially... Closed! :thanks:

002_DSM_rdwc_d57f.JPG

I seem to clean more often than anything else I do in the grow room. I'm a fucking maid for plants lol constantly cleaning and pampering and feeding til they are a bunch of fat ass bitches then I kill them by cutting their stalks and strip them and hang them out to dry. Maybe I am more like a plant serial killer than a made cause I also lock them up in small rooms and collect pics of their lives and deaths.

015_DSM_rdwc_d57f.JPG

Beautiful plants and nugz dude. 5 star rated plus rep. Sorry I dissapeared for a while. Enjoy the pics, I posted them for ya before I even put it in my own journal. Its my way of thanking you for your help when it was needed via in a random post.

:thanks: Mr. Smith!

Wow. That Darkstar Mom is a beeeeeast! :high-five:

No prob on the info - hope it's helpful somehow. I've picked up a bunch from watching/reading your grows, so you name it if I can ever repay that somehow.

Hope to have you check out my new thread when you get a moment (link's in my signature). You've got a bunch of valuable experience that I appreciate immensely.

Fantastic that you threw in that quote of yours I liked so much. What can I say, that was an awesome post you dropped, brotha! :thumb:

Been a fine journal Bro...I've really enjoyed it! :high-five:

A well done journal X. Thanks for sharing with us!:goodjob:

Great job brother! I see someone else already moved it for you, good job fellow staff!!

Great grow & great journal, Brother. Too soon to +REP you again, but I'll get you soon.

Stay healthy for many more! :high-five:

:thanks: :thanks: :circle-of-love: :thumb:

You guys are the best - there are no finer people than the members of the forums here; you all are case in point #1. Appreciate the support and the comoradarie more than I can express! :high-five:

Back
Top Bottom