Xlr8's Hydroponic Adventures & Photos From The Garden - 2012

Re: Xlr8's Hydroponic Adventures and Photos from the Garden - 2012

Just showed up ^ pages after. I guess I need to read up atad. Becareful with that Ripper. She jumps up there pretty good. Keepem Green

GLR or trying to use a more natural light cycle is what I would call a advanced growing light cycle. Its nice to keep things in a more natural environment and there are some benifits but for new growers it can be a hassle or cause problems, especially if the person doing GLR doesn't understand why. The info in the link posted above in Alaskan1's post gives a good description and understanding.
Most indoor growers go 24/0 or 18/6 veg and 12/12 flower because it works and its easier to control and maintain. Without a special timer you have to manually adjust the timer daily or weekly and there is a chance of being human and fucking up the light schedule. I personally don't do GLR, I do 24/0 for veg because its easy for me to work in the garden without worrying about the light schedule. I do 18/6 for veg during the hot months to reduce heat and electrical use. The plant growth rate is about the same weather its 24/0 or 18/6. I nolonger worry about clone burnout because I only keep mother plants for less than one year and I do my best to keep the mums as healthy as possible. A poor or sick mum showing 3 finger leaves will produce clones with low potency buds. I have had buds that looked awesome but would only give me a weak high and that sux so choose clippings where the leaves has 5 fingers or more. 3 finger leaves or less is a sign of a stressed plant.

I do 12/12 for flowering because again its easy for me to maintain. If you have to mess with the light cycle, always maintain the dark cycle and adjust the light's on time. The dark cycle is the trigger. A special hormone builds up up during the dark cycle and the light period disrupts this hormone buildup and this is the plant's internal clock triggering the flower period. Disrupting the dark cycle stresses the plant and can cause the hermy effect.
I have tried to flower on a 18 hour day before. I bought a special timer and used it during the summer to reduce heat and shorten flowering times. 6 hours of light, 12 hours of dark. It brought a 60 day flowering time to 45 days with no hermy effect but the diminished bud size and density made me abandon the project after 1 test run. I prefer premo nugs or no nugs at all.
I have also tried leaving the lights off the last few days of flower. Tried it more than one occasion since I can only harvest on weekends and sometimes my regular job gets in the way. I still can't tell if it helped any with the resin glands so I don't really know if its helpful or not, I just do it if it fits within my schedule and I don't need to waste the light power.
I'm a pretty technical type of guy and have tried a number of ways to increase production and growth. Light cycles for me are pretty much locked in, I concentrate mostly on nute strenghs and cycles, light intensity and mostly environmental conditions. The growing part for me mostly depends on the plants and what they have to tell me like ph issues, how its grows and what the leaves and roots are doing. I make adjustments from there wether they are right or wrong. The best grows are grows with lil to no problems, a grow with problems becomes more like a learning experience. I hate those types of learning experiences so I do what I can to prevent them. Unfortunately I only see my grows 1 to 2 times a week and depend on a friend that is suppose to check on them daily but likes to drop the ball during critical times.
I used to be a terrible grower, I had to learn everything the hard way. I am stupid and stubborn and had to go back to the basics over and over again. The funny part was that I started growing good right from the start of my second grow and filled myself with as much info I could find about growing mj plants but my odd wacky experiments like co2 infusion to the roots or increasing temps during the dark period to name a few kept me from really learning how to read plants correctly then neglecting maintenance and taking shortcuts and cleaning really fucked me. Not using tools like ppm meters and just following directions from the bottle made TDW(Total Dried Weight) numbers stagnant and I couldn't progress. I used to blame my water and water temps but after owning and using rodi filtration and a water chiller I was able to elimenate water as a issue if it ever was and fine tune my growing skills.

Just realized my post is long winded, sorry. I got off work early and smoked a lil too much and before I knew it I was reading then typing away. I already forgot what I originally wanted to post. I think it was important but puff,puff, it went up in smoke. How is everybody today? I am happy, how about you? Wish I could remember have of everything I learned about growing, wish I had a better vocabulary lol, peace.

Hello Mr. Smith. This is my first time responding to one of your posts. I have read many of your posts, but this one made me think about allot of different things I've tried in grows. You have confirmed much of my conclusions. The KISS method is what I ended up with too. Reading your ladies and knowing what to do is the easiest and most productive way to
grow. Thank You, Sir.

Just found this thread but it gave rise to a bunch of very good ideas and points this is definitely something I'm going to try in the very near future a side by side same clones same lights same medium and nutrients but diff. Light cycles the 12/12 and the diminishing 11/13 to 9/15 eventually...thanks for the idea I do like the fact it would be mimicking the natural habitat which the plants are hardwired for because of mainly being outdoor cultivated for thousands of years...dont you feel more comfortable at home?

Yes it does help on the light bill...but I don't think all strains would think its a crappy summer ...i think some places rarely ever get over 13 or 14 hours of daylight so that would be strain dependant I would guess...so many variables thrown in that its impossible to dial a setup in for a "universal" fit for all strains... Maybe glr is great for some strains and push them to max potential and for other strains it just works mediocre but I still believe it would be better then 18/6 or 24/0 simply because like it was stated the hormones produced during the dark period...few to many puffs tonight sorry for the ramble

Also due to the ability to adapt through natural selection aka survival of the fittest...some strains might do better with the "standard" artificial lighting schedule due to being cultivated indoors for many generations and being bred under those conditions it has started to rewire itself thinking the factors of its environment has changed so it too must change to thrive to maximum po tenchul!

well there are a lot of variables that go into a grow as we all know. I don't think much about growing mj is universal. Only testing things out will we ever know. What works for me here in Washington during the winter might not work for me during the summer in Alaska.

Being a mechanic it's one thing I know how to do is diagnostics. I know that if you change to many things at once it's hard to figure out what you did that make it work better or worse.

I think one thing to me seems pretty clear. Enough people have done it that we know it won't kill a crop. Majority of people whom I have read tried it thought that GLR improved the grow. Some said they didn't notice a difference and I have not read a report of turning any plant "hermie" due to the lighting schedule.

^alaskan1

i've heard of people leaving their plants in darkness for 3-8 days to build up resin (tricomes) right before harvest.

i think the tricomes are pretty much for sticky traps for pollen from male plants. if this is right it would make sense that the female plant would produce more as the daylight hours decreased because that would mean winter was approaching and the window for producing seeds would be quickly closing. so by turning down the lights you make her kick off her panties and spread her legs in a sense hahah she needs sex.

Tricomes are also a defense mechanism the plant has when dealing with outside threats such as pests, etc. I used to be more delicate with my plants late in flower, but now I don't exactly rough them up, but I'm not afraid to bang them around as I believe it helps prompt tricome production - plus they smell so nice and dank when you bang them around a little. I actually go in and jiggle branches toward the end - true story. :yummy:

Tricomes are also a defense mechanism the plant has when dealing with outside threats such as pests, etc. I used to be more delicate with my plants late in flower, but now I don't exactly rough them up, but I'm not afraid to bang them around as I believe it helps prompt tricome production - plus they smell so nice and dank when you bang them around a little. I actually go in and jiggle branches toward the end - true story. :yummy:

I can just see you in there. . .

**ruffle-ruffle-ruffle** DEEEEEEEEP SNIIIFFFFFFF.....Ahhhhhhhhhh..........

That guy SpeeCees from NoMercy went to the mountains to study mj plants that grow in the wild with no help from man. One of his findings was when the temps dropped at night some of the the resin glands would rupture and weep a resin coating over its self to help protect itself from the cold.
I wonder how rare it is to find a patch of wildly grown mj plants that has never seen man?

OldMedMan, Sup Dude? Its funny how we are long members but never really talked via post. Its probally because our grow styles and equipment are so different. I have never grown outdoors and I only done 2 dirt grows. How's the airpots and is that a soiless mix? I have read a number of your posts too but mostly in other member's threads. I hope we can talk alot more in the future.

That guy SpeeCees from NoMercy went to the mountains to study mj plants that grow in the wild with no help from man. One of his findings was when the temps dropped at night some of the the resin glands would rupture and weep a resin coating over its self to help protect itself from the cold.
I wonder how rare it is to find a patch of wildly grown mj plants that has never seen man?

OldMedMan, Sup Dude? Its funny how we are long members but never really talked via post. Its probally because our grow styles and equipment are so different. I have never grown outdoors and I only done 2 dirt grows. How's the airpots and is that a soiless mix? I have read a number of your posts too but mostly in other member's threads. I hope we can talk alot more in the future.

Same here my Friend. Like you said, different worlds. I love my airpots, never root bound. I do soil only....so far. No, it's always soil. Same as you..other folks journals . Much respect though..we'll bump into each other I'm sure. Looking forward to it!

Just showed up ^ pages after. I guess I need to read up atad. Becareful with that Ripper. She jumps up there pretty good. Keepem Green

Thanks buddy - really glad you're here. :thumb:

I have 2 of the JTRs, and I'm pretty sure one is going to be female (think I saw teeny pre-flower pistils this morning), and it is really surprisingly compact. I tried taking another clone off of it yesterday, as the first one failed. Subcool has said to watch for the "short" pheno as a possible keeper, and I'm thinking maybe she's one of them.

The other JTR (also early to tell sex for sure) is twice as long between the nodes as the one next to it. For some reason I still think the tall one is a girl. If they're both girls, they're radically different phenos at least in veg characteristics.

Have all of yours been tall, or have you had a shorter pheno ever? Hope you are well!

Hello Mr. Smith. This is my first time responding to one of your posts. I have read many of your posts, but this one made me think about allot of different things I've tried in grows. You have confirmed much of my conclusions. The KISS method is what I ended up with too. Reading your ladies and knowing what to do is the easiest and most productive way to
grow. Thank You, Sir.

KISOMM? ;)

In a nutshell, I try to only change/try something different once I think I have things dialed in how I want them. That way, if something isn't right I know where to place the blame or how much that change might have contributed.

One thing I've been slow to learn, is that while I feel like my grow space is pretty dialed in to how I want it -- I'm not. Now I'm cloning, vegging moms and yada yada. Meanwhile, my energy and health are still subpar. I'm BEAT. I may have to reevaluate my priorities in the future unless I start feeling better. I failed to consider the extra effort involved with multiple projects going on. Problem is, I'm having fun even though I'm worn out, and I need that once in a while too. Such a conundrum! I am whining to you because you know my situation as well or better than anyone, and I know you can relate. It's embarassing how easily I'm worn out now. Sheesh - I used to be a competitive athelete!

Glad you and Mr Smith were able to make a connection - 2 different worlds, but those worlds have some beautiful plants in them!

Keep rockin' my good friend, and my best to Jo! :high-five:

Just found this thread but it gave rise to a bunch of very good ideas and points this is definitely something I'm going to try in the very near future a side by side same clones same lights same medium and nutrients but diff. Light cycles the 12/12 and the diminishing 11/13 to 9/15 eventually...thanks for the idea I do like the fact it would be mimicking the natural habitat which the plants are hardwired for because of mainly being outdoor cultivated for thousands of years...dont you feel more comfortable at home?

Yes it does help on the light bill...but I don't think all strains would think its a crappy summer ...i think some places rarely ever get over 13 or 14 hours of daylight so that would be strain dependant I would guess...so many variables thrown in that its impossible to dial a setup in for a "universal" fit for all strains... Maybe glr is great for some strains and push them to max potential and for other strains it just works mediocre but I still believe it would be better then 18/6 or 24/0 simply because like it was stated the hormones produced during the dark period...few to many puffs tonight sorry for the ramble

Also due to the ability to adapt through natural selection aka survival of the fittest...some strains might do better with the "standard" artificial lighting schedule due to being cultivated indoors for many generations and being bred under those conditions it has started to rewire itself thinking the factors of its environment has changed so it too must change to thrive to maximum po tenchul!

^ just a thought

High HighFlyin5 -

It feels weird to me that I'm not giving them 12 hours of light, and I'm really curious to see what happens. There may be a predisposition to natural lighting schedules, but as you pointed out, many strains are bred indoors under artificial light using 18/6, 12/12 etc. lighting routines.

When you are breeding you are selecting plants that fit certain criteria when grown in a specific environment, so I'm really not sure if the plants will think more "natural" lighting schedules are "natural" to them. I know in animal breeding, shockingly large changes in biology can happen in only a few generations... I can't help but think, though, that it's possible a plant would respond favorably to more natural lighting cycles, as the millions of years of evolution can't be that easy to reprogram, can it?!

Thanks for subbing, and let me know when/if you do that comparison - I'd like to follow that if you do. Great idea to do a test/comparison. :thumb:

well there are a lot of variables that go into a grow as we all know. I don't think much about growing mj is universal. Only testing things out will we ever know. What works for me here in Washington during the winter might not work for me during the summer in Alaska.

Being a mechanic it's one thing I know how to do is diagnostics. I know that if you change to many things at once it's hard to figure out what you did that make it work better or worse.

I think one thing to me seems pretty clear. Enough people have done it that we know it won't kill a crop. Majority of people whom I have read tried it thought that GLR improved the grow. Some said they didn't notice a difference and I have not read a report of turning any plant "hermie" due to the lighting schedule.

Hi Alaskan1 -

Yes, it works - no question. Not a myth. Just a matter of... is it better? Is it strain dependant? Will yield suffer, while quality improves, or will the opposite happen? Neither? To know for sure, you'd have to run comparison like HighFlyin is considering. I'm going to have to go by my gut at this point, as I'm not doing comparisons. I'm still not sure if/when I'll diminish the schedule or leave it at 11/13 for the majority of bloom... Still deciding on that one.

I have seen people claim it made their plants go into bloom (GLR veg schedule), a couple of them. Not sure if that was strain specific issues, or grower error issues... but there have been people claim they had issues with GLR that way. Most opinions seem positive to me, though. Like someone else pointed out, it's more popular here on 420mag than elsewhere, too.

I can just see you in there. . .

**ruffle-ruffle-ruffle** DEEEEEEEEP SNIIIFFFFFFF.....Ahhhhhhhhhh..........

Exactly! That's about it for sure.

Speaking of which, it already smells like a buncha whorey skunks in my tent, and they've only been flowering for a few days.

The autoflower I grew (Big Bang Auto by Greenhouse) did something like that at the very end - just a little bit. It looked just like what you described - burst tricomes or something. I'd never seen that before. I remember that I was going to take pics, but I must have gotten high and forgot, as I don't remember ever seeing them on my camera or downloading them. That was a beautiful plant - the only auto I've grown, but I liked it a lot, and it yielded something like 4.7z...

bba2.jpg

bba_buds.jpg

I would love to walk up on some MJ in the wild like that! I remember SpeeCees from No Mercy. Seems like every great once in a while, he posts or throws an entry into POTM or something. He used to do (probably still does I'm sure) those massive 12/12 from seed grows - he was the first I'd really seen do the 12/12 from seed thing.

Cool that you and OMM connected. One of these days, I have to make a serious attempt to grow a plant in some soil. My biggest hesitation is bugs. I hate bug issues, and they seem like more of a problem with soil. I also like the control factor of hydro. I've been vaping my own hydro buds for a while now, and I'd like to see how much there is to the taste thing. You always hear people claim soil grown bud tastes better (which I don't necessarily doubt).

Back
Top Bottom