Xlr8's Hydroponic Adventures & Photos From The Garden - 2012

Re: Xlr8's Hydroponic Adventures and Photos from the Garden - 2012

you said you don't know if the clones are female which means you don't know if the parents are female or male right? so usually people throw the clones right into 12/12 after they root to get signs of sex asap. is this your plan ?

Hey XL, subbed, glad you started a new thread :)

thinkerr said:
you said you don't know if the clones are female which means you don't know if the parents are female or male right? so usually people throw the clones right into 12/12 after they root to get signs of sex asap. is this your plan ?

Hi Thinkerr -

Correct, all but the OG Kush are reg seeds. I might do that in the future. Honestly, I was mostly trying to keep a copy in the event I find a keeper in the mix, but I really like that idea and will probably do something like that down the road. Also, for space reasons, I'm planning on flowering sooner than I'd see sex I'm afraid (this time around).

The plant I'm most intrigued by is Jack The Ripper(b), as it is incredibly compact with unbelievably tight nodes. Partially for this reason, the clone failed as I think it was just to small. I'm going to take another cutting in early flower as I'm hoping this is the "keeper" pheno that Subcool talks about. He talks about watching for the "short" pheno when looking for a mom. It's by far the most developed plant node-wise of the bunch, but shorter than any indica I've grown to date at this stage even.

The other Jack acts/looks like a big vigorous male to me, but I'll consider pollinating some females if so...

shottafire said:
+ rep xlr8!!!

I always love checking out what you got going on! I have the same tent too Just running 1 600 though.

Im subbed.. cheers

Thanks shottafire! Really glad to have you along again. :thumb: how do you like the 600 in there? Are temps an issue for you? I remember you mentioning you having same tent... I'd love to know more about your setup, as I'd like to consider whether a single 600 would be a better way to go than my dual 400's... :thanks:

naphtali5725 said:
Hey XL, subbed, glad you started a new thread :)

Hi Naph!

Awesome, I really enjoy having you around, Naph, you are a first class great guy and I was really hoping you'd find your way to my new thread. :thumb:

MattyTrips said:
sub'd +reps...great non journal X

Thanks MattyT! :welcome:

Appreciate the reps, and it'll be great having you around. :)

That's awesome to hear you jumping in the fields of cloning friend!:thumb::circle-of-love::adore:
I think it's fantastic how you are trying new things!:bravo:

Great post on the defoliating and pruning too! :cheer::Namaste:
It sucks I've rep'd you too much, cause I'd do it again...and again...and again:Namaste::smokin:

That's awesome to hear you jumping in the fields of cloning friend!:thumb::circle-of-love::adore:
I think it's fantastic how you are trying new things!:bravo:

Great post on the defoliating and pruning too! :cheer::Namaste:
It sucks I've rep'd you too much, cause I'd do it again...and again...and again:Namaste::smokin:

Hi Missbud!

It's fun trying new things, and I'm just having fun playing around. Thank you for being so sweet - as always! You have a way of cheering me up, and I really appreciate that. :)

:circle-of-love:

Deadhead OG - Check out the bulk added to the side branches after it was topped and tied down... This one is actually promoting (6) primary "tops" right now, all at the same (roughly) height. I like this picture - it's like it's flexing it's muscles:
feb_17_1.jpg

Clones - The Deadhead OG clone popped roots through the cube, and is now in a coco coir smartpot. They all seem to be doing fine, and I'm guessing I'll see roots in the rest fairly soon. They passed the gentle "tug" test I gave 'em and seem secure in the rooters.
feb_17_2.jpg

For space reasons, I said the heck with it and put the plants in the tent into 24 hours of darkness - and will begin an 11/13 diminishing light schedule. This is the first time I've ran a bunch of Sativa dom. plants like this, and I don't want to have height issues - so trying to play it a little safer maybe. They all have at least 4 primary tops fairly well developed and are nice and bushy. :)

Cloning - Success!

Oh, and I was going to post some pics with this post, but had an issue posting photos - they seemed to disappear after uploading and never made it to the gallery...? Anyone know if this is a site issue?

Congrats on cloning success!

As far as the Gallery glitch, I've had it a few times. Log out, then back in to see if they show up. but before you do that , make sure that you didn't miss the "Process Images" step. Lol! I still do from time to time, and I have hundreds of pics in my gallery hehehe, before today's upload, I had 21 pages, 20 per page.....21x20=420

I've also seen a glitch when posting replies, that if I'm first on the new page, my reply doesn't show. I just give it a bit till someone else posts, and voila!~

any reason for the 11/13 over the 12/12 ? wouldn't the extra hour of light increase the size of the buds ? -- figure 9 week flowering -- 9 week x 7 days x 1 hour a day = 63 hours of light you take away from the plants. seems like a lot of growing time for buds.

any reason for the 11/13 over the 12/12 ? wouldn't the extra hour of light increase the size of the buds ? -- figure 9 week flowering -- 9 week x 7 days x 1 hour a day = 63 hours of light you take away from the plants. seems like a lot of growing time for buds.

Great question!

Well, I'm trying something a bit different. Sativa's sometimes struggle with staying in veg longer with a 12/12 light cycle, and it prolongs the flowering cycle greatly at times. A few better growers prefer 11/13 to 12/12, especially for Sativas, and I'm giving it a try. Everything I have in this round is Sativa dominant. Also, plants do a fair amount of growing and developing in the dark, too. They take the stored energy from the day, and convert it to production at night. The million dollar question, is this: Is longer light exposure better? or... is 11 hours enough light to provide optimal production/growth/quality?

A number of people here are using a technique called the "Gas Lantern Routine" or "12-1" technique for vegging (myself as well). They are reporting increased growth rates, with less light. Granted, this is during veg, but it gives one pause, as it seems counter-intuitive. By the way the 12-1 technique is 12 hours of light, 5.5 hours of dark, 1 hour of light, 5.5 hours of dark. Repeat, etc. Even though they get significantly less light vs. 18 or 24 hours, the veg rates are often better.

Having said that, I may decide this is a bust after trying it. I've spent a lot of time analyzing lighting cycles, and it's chock full of debate, myth, and controversy. Sometimes, and this is one of those times, the information available is so riddled with myths as to be nearly impossible to discern a best practice. I felt the need to try this for myself. The idea is certainly not new. I believe Twelve12 has started playing around with 11/13 also (ironically!).

Lastly, I'm intrigued by the theory (DJ Short mentions it below) that light cycles can influence phenotypic expression. In other words, in a hybrid, Sativa traits might express themselves more in an 11/13 schedule vs. a 12/12 schedule which in theory would lend itself to expressing more Indica traits.

This is from breeder, DJ Short (creater of Blueberry and Flo, along with other great strains).

Sativa variations:

Another aspect to consider is that Indica and Sativa varieties differ in their photo period expression, or photoreactive rate. The typical 18/6 and 12/12 light cycles are primarily beneficial to Indica varieties. Indica became the herb of choice early on in the industry due to its fast maturation and large production abilities under the HID lights. Indica is a variety from the 30th parallel and above, and this timing cycle is more akin to locations north of the 30th latitude (or south, in the southern hemisphere).

Sativa originates from equatorial regions, between 30 degrees north and 30 degrees south. Around the equator there is a much smaller difference between seasonal day lengths. The vegetative stage may be 13 hours of day and 11 hours of night, whereas the flowering cycle may be the opposite, 11 hours of day and 13 hours of night. There are pure Sativa strains that require three to four months to mature in the flowering cycle indoors. And although outdoor equatorial crops take such a long time to mature, it is often possible in the right areas to produce two to four crops per year, thanks to the tropical environments.

It will be interesting to see what specialized grow rooms, developed to provide a wider range of photo periods, would produce. More interesting will be what the wonderful and great outdoors will produce in all of her various environments. Light fortified greenhouses are capable of producing high quality herb just about anywhere on the planet. Once implemented, the global environment will surely reveal interesting and desirable variations, via careful selective breeding. In the meantime, further experimentation and research using different indoor light timing cycles would be very worthwhile.​

Also from DJ Short:

Better Phenotypes through Environment

After many years of firsthand experience breeding herb, I believe that the two most influential environmental triggers for phenotypic variation and expression among current indoor herb breeding projects are:

1 Photoperiod (a.k.a. photo receptivity, light timing or dark period manipulation)

2 Angle of light in relationship to the growing plant.

Specifically, I find the single most powerful influence to the Indica-dominant phenotype is the 18/6 veggie and 12/12 flowering cycle. The 18/6 veggie and 12/12 flower cycle is an attempt (however poor) to mimic the Indica producing outdoor environment (photo-period). It is my belief that this light timing cycle strongly influences the Indica phenotypic expression. Photo periods at the equator would be closer to a 13/11 veggie cycle and an 11/13 flower cycle.

The exact photo-period formula that I incorporate into my growing/breeding regime will remain a trade secret*, but my advice is to experiment with different photo-periods, keep good notes and pay attention. Avoid the 18/6--12/12 photo-periods while "tweaking" the times in half-hour increments or less with each breeding cycle until more desirable results in the finished product and the next generation of offspring are noted.

*Xlr8's Note: According to Twelve12, DJ Short's trade secret photo-period is 11/13 -- not sure where he picked that up, but Twelve reads up on DJ Short religiously, so I believe it to be true.

Hey Xlr8!
Read all that info you posted on the pruning. Excellent excellent stuff!!! Mr. Smith is a knowledgable man indeed. I got drawn in to his journal and just kept reading because I just kept learning. Anything else I need to read? Whats my next assignment :Namaste:

Mr. Smith has it down pretty good, huh? With no offense to anyone else here, I've picked up more from him than nearly anyone, books included. He's tried almost everything it seems, and knows what he knows from experience, not books.

I'll put some thought into your question. Glad you found the defoliate post helpful. :)

Great question!

Well, I'm trying something a bit different. Sativa's sometimes struggle with staying in veg longer with a 12/12 light cycle, and it prolongs the flowering cycle greatly at times. A few better growers prefer 11/13 to 12/12, especially for Sativas, and I'm giving it a try. Everything I have in this round is Sativa dominant. Also, plants do a fair amount of growing and developing in the dark, too. They take the stored energy from the day, and convert it to production at night. The million dollar question, is this: Is longer light exposure better? or... is 11 hours enough light to provide optimal production/growth/quality?

A number of people here are using a technique called the "Gas Lantern Routine" or "12-1" technique for vegging (myself as well). They are reporting increased growth rates, with less light. Granted, this is during veg, but it gives one pause, as it seems counter-intuitive. By the way the 12-1 technique is 12 hours of light, 5.5 hours of dark, 1 hour of light, 5.5 hours of dark. Repeat, etc. Even though they get significantly less light vs. 18 or 24 hours, the veg rates are often better.

Having said that, I may decide this is a bust after trying it. I've spent a lot of time analyzing lighting cycles, and it's chock full of debate, myth, and controversy. Sometimes, and this is one of those times, the information available is so riddled with myths as to be nearly impossible to discern a best practice. I felt the need to try this for myself. The idea is certainly not new. I believe Twelve12 has started playing around with 11/13 also (ironically!).

Lastly, I'm intrigued by the theory (DJ Short mentions it below) that light cycles can influence phenotypic expression. In other words, in a hybrid, Sativa traits might express themselves more in an 11/13 schedule vs. a 12/12 schedule which in theory would lend itself to expressing more Indica traits.
<snip>

Great post! Thank you!

Nice bit of training there X congratulations on your clones so easy when you know how and it saves so much time best technique i ever learned in the garden!

Great post on the light schedule and good luck keeping them sativa dom's under control, crack the whip out and tame them girls!

:goodjob:

Back
Top Bottom