PhishwithPhiv's - 600W - SCROG - WW-XTRM - AK-XTRM - Soil - 2014

PhishwithPhiv

I am planning a small grow for medicinal purposes.

The intent of this journal is to document my endeavor, seek advice, and provide assistance to others (though this will consist mainly of allowing others to learn from my mistakes).

(Additionally, documenting a skilled process increases effectiveness and I want to take advantage of that; I will be motivated to do a better job if there is a potential audience).

I will try to strike a balance between thorough and concise.

All advice and constructive criticism is welcomed and appreciated.

Off we go —

- Experience:
I have conducted four (4) small grows; each were successful to varying degrees. They were all 400 Watt soil set ups and resulted in small but rewarding outputs. The last grow was several years ago (amazing what has changed in the field).

I have been reading a great deal about growing in the past several weeks but still don't feel like I know much...

- Plan:
This will be an indoor soil grow using SCROG techniques (I hope).

- Strains I will be using:
(3) Feminized White Widow XTRM
(2) Feminized AK 47 XTRM
*Both from Amsterdam MS
IMG_022736.JPG

https://www.420magazine.com/community/gallery/676909

- Growing medium:
Pro-Mix BX will be put into round plastic pots (germination and vegetation = 1 gallon (6" H; 8" W); flowering = 3.8 gallon (9" H; 13" W)).

- Fertilizer:
FoxFarm Trio: I plan to follow the FoxFarm schedule after easing the plants up to full strength.

- Light:
600 watt Apollo HPS/MH (with air-cooled reflector). I will be using the following bulbs:
Vegetative phase: Sunmaster 600 W Blue Ice 5500K.
Flowering phase: Sunmaster 600 W Yellow Blossom 2100K

- Grow room:
I am using the guest bathroom; it is rarely used and needs remodeling anyway. It is 8'X5' with 7.5' ceilings (ceiling tiles — which is really nice for growing purposes). I didn't do much to it besides removing the toilet, running an electric line in from the garage, and replacing the ceiling vent (80 cfn).

Climate control devices —
- Overhead vent: 80cfn
- Attached vent (attached to light hood): approximately 120 cfn
- Large oscillating fan
- Small oscillating fan
- Humidifier: 3 gallon a day output (so they say)

Climate - Ran a preliminary climate test in the grow space. The door was kept closed with no lights running; humidifier and vents on. The results: Temperature = 65 degrees & Humidity = 48%. I think this bodes well but we will see when I get everything set up and running.

- SCROG screen: I built one that is 3X3 and stands 19". The wood is very light and was being sold as outdoor garden stakes. The masonry string is arranged as 2" openings (289 openings — that seems like a lot).

The total expenditure for this set up (I had almost nothing to start with) stands at $1,460. I budgeted out $2,000 so that worked out well. I will probably buy a bottle of Glenmorangie 18 and hold it in anticipation for the harvest.

I hope this is not too much information; did I miss anything important?

Feedback would be great. Let me know what I can do better — especially if you see me headed for a cliff.

Everything is set and ready to go. At 2:00 PM, after some minor tweaking and retesting the grow room and its operations, I dropped the seeds into a couple of shot glasses (3 White Widow XTRM and 2 AK 47 XTRM — both feminized).

I filled the Veg pots with the growing medium, watered them, and set them under the lights to warm up.

At 3:00 PM I turned everything on in the grow room (light, vents (2), fans (2), humidifier). At 4:00 PM I planted them (about 3/8" deep).

Temperature = 80 degrees / Humidity = 41%.

I set the light 2' above the pots and it is dimmed to 50%. I turned the overhead vent off to see what impact it would have on the climate. I figure it will raise the temperature and humidity -which I think will be good at this stage.

Entry 3 (4/26): Sprouts (Days 2-5)

Day 2: Basic maintenance (misted the soil, filled humidifier, etc)

Day 3: Basic maintenance

Day 4: A good day. 4 sprouts today (2 of each) and I could see the fifth working its way up; I imagine she will be sprouted when I look in on them tomorrow.

On WW I the seed was stuck to the plant so I worked it off — later I noticed that it was still struggling so I took a closer look and noticed that it had a fine film holding it closed. I gently worked that off as well and the plant sprung open. Looks fine as I head off to bed.

Day 5: WW 3 sprouted today. As with WWI the seed was stuck to the plant. I kept it moist by spraying often and then a few hours later I worked the seed off; the plant responded fine.

Recent temperatures have been around 80 while the humidity has been in the high 50s. I think this is ideal for this stage and things look fine.

Within 4 days all of the seeds sprouted. Good stock from Amsterdam Marijuana Seeds. I was happy with the whole transaction: it was easy to purchase and I received them in good shape quicker than they estimated.

At about 3:30 PM I turned the ballast up to 75%. The plants seemed to be fine with the change.

At about 7:00 PM I lowered the light to 18" above the plants. This raised the temperature to about 83 degrees with 53% humidity.

A bit hot so I turned on the overhead vent (result = 80 degrees with 42% humidity). I would like the humidity to be a bit higher but I don't think it is worth adding another humidifier or turning off the overhead vent (which would raise the temperature).

I am pleased with where I am at the end of day five. Hope my luck continues.

Entry 4 (4/29): First Watering (Days 6-8)

Day 6:

A bit worried about the seedlings stretching. The tall ones are about 2" and the first serrated leafs are just showing themselves. I decided to go ahead and prop them up even though they are not falling (used some bent paperclips).

I set the light at 100% and it remains 18" away. I also have the fans on high. The temperature is a on the high end (84 degrees) and the humidity is low (36%). I may need to move the light up if the temperature gets any worse. I will be sure and spray them 3 or more times a day to help deal with the low humidity issue.

Day 7: Watered each of the plants with about 15ml of Big Bloom/gallon (50% of what is recommended). They each took about 1.5l and responded well. I backfilled the pot around the stems — unfortunately when i initially filled them i didn't leave much room to do this effectively.

Day 8: Temperature has been fluctuating between about 81-85 degrees. Humidity has been between 35% and 45%. Not too bad but I would rather have the temperature a bit lower and the humidity higher. I can't think of anything I can do to improve these ranges but I think it will be fine.

Plants look fine to me but i'm not real sure what i should be looking for.

Entry 5 (5/3): Second Set of Leaves (Days 9-11)

Day 9: (Basic maintenance). I began rotating the plants a couple of times a day. I am hoping that misting the girls 3 or so times a day will help with the humidity being on the low end of acceptable.

Day 10: (Basic maintenance). Temperature is ranging between 79 and 83 (I am discounting the high and the low as anomalies) and humidity 38-49% (I assume the high mark occurred after a misting).

The top soil is dry this evening so I plan on watering tomorrow.

Day 11: Watered each of them at around 2:00 PM (30 ml/gallon of Big Bloom and used 1.5 l each plant).

I also shut everything off for about an hour — just to give it a rest.

The plants look fine to me and seem to be on schedule based on what I have seen of other grows online. About the only thing that is abnormal is AK 47 II: the color is off but she is probably the strongest in the bunch in terms of form and growth. Any thoughts? I don't think it is something I did (could be wrong) because I have done the same things for all the plants and it is the only one with discoloration; perhaps it is just genetic? I'm not going to worry about it too much because other wise it looks healthy.

Here is a couple pictures of her:

Here are a some pictures of the other plants. To me they seem fine but as I said before I don't know if I am looking at the right things. All in all I am feeling optimistic. I don't really have high goals so that helps.

Entry 6 (5/6): Two Weeks Old (Days 13-15)

Day 13: General upkeep.

Day 14: General upkeep.

Day 15: Temperatures are ranging between 78 and 83 degrees and humidity in the mid 40s.

The topsoil is dry so I figure I will need to water in a couple of days.

Everything looks good no major problems yet.

AK 47 II is the strongest of the bunch but they all seem healthy so far.

If things keep going as they are I may do my first toppings this weekend.

Here are some pictures of AK 47 II (it continues with the discolored leaves):

Here are a few pictures of the others.

Entry 7 (5/10): Topping (Days 16-19)

Day 16: General upkeep.

Day 17: When I checked on them in the morning I noticed AK I and WW II had some problems. Their first sets of leaves were yellowing and the second set as well on AK I.

IMG_029526.jpg
IMG_029829.jpg
IMG_030025.jpg

The plants were dry but not real dry (I planned on waiting until they are very dry. My goal is to wait until the top couple of inches feel dry, the pots feel light, and the water meter reads close to "dry.").

I went ahead and watered all of them so I could get them some nutes — I noticed similar problems with all the plants to greater of lesser degrees — I am hoping to counteract the problem, which I assume is a nute deficiency.

Next time I will introduce nutes earlier.

The watering mixture was as follows: 30 ml Big Bloom and 10 ml Grow Big mixed in a gallon of water. Each plant received 1.5 liters each.

I was planning on going on a feeding/watering/feeding schedule but I wonder at this point if I should just not go ahead and feed them at the next watering as well and then get on schedule. Any thoughts?

Day 18: Temperatures and humidity have been consistent as noted other entries. Temp: 79-83 and Humidity: 42-45. Works for me but still wouldn't mind temp to be a little lower and humidity a bit higher.

Day 19: Seeing some additional problems with some of the plants. Nothing that I would consider too serious as they seem to have stabilized and are moving forward.

I removed the first set of leaved from AK I as the leaves were all but dead. I will probably do the same for all the other leaves on each plant over the course of the week (I am figuring that I will remove them soon anyway and I don't want to look at the yellow).

I checked the ph and it was between 6.0 — 6.5. As I have read that many experts suggest 6-6.5 and other recommend 6.5-7 I will just be okay with where I am unless I find some evidence of future problems.

Here is a picture I took prior to topping:

IMG_030128.jpg

I topped each of them this evening. My goal was to get them as soon as I could to remove the 5th set and not damage anything else. I am worried that I cut them a bit early, as there was not much room to clip them and not other growth in the area. My hope is that all will be okay.

Here is a quick rundown of each plant as of today:

plant Height Width Ranking Notes
AK 47 I 3" 7.5" 5 2nd set of leaves looks bad; all else fine.
AK 47 II 3.25" 7.25 3 1st set of leaves about ½ way yellowed; good otherwise.
WW I 3.5" 8" 1 Looks real great; only minor discoloration on 1st set.
WW II 3.5" 7.5" 4 1st set of leaves yellow; some spots on 2nd set.
WW III 3.25" 8" 2 Little bit yellow on 1st set. All else real good.

The couple of highest ranked plants look great and I am optimistic I will be able to help the others get back on track. Any help that people have would be appreciated.

Here are three pictures of WWI and WW II after they were topped:

IMG_030629.jpg
IMG_030328.jpg

If you have any suggested on what I can do better please let me know.

Re: PhishwithPhiv’s 600w SCROG - WW-XTRM - AK-XTRM - Soil - 2014

hey, I'm a bit of a newb so I'm watching your grow along with over 30 others. I'm sorry i can't be more help with your AK47 issue but this post might

ChronicHempHog's plant and pest problem solver (with pictures)

Have a goosy at that and see if you can find what closest matches your problem.

Also have a gander at the FAQ subforum (it's kicking about somewhere) it has plenty of info for newbs like us.

Good luck & sub'd.

Entry 8 (5/13): Three Weeks Old (Days 20-22)

Day 20: Topsoil is dry so I will water soon. Temp and humidity are around low 80s and sometimes drifting into the mid 80s; the humidity is around 40.

Day 21: Trimmed the leaves that were dying; I just pulled off what would easily come off.

I watered and feed them all (30 ml Big Bloom and 15 ml Grow Big/gallon). They took about 1.5 l each but I think I need to give them a bit more in the future.

I could have waited another day to water them but I wanted to get them feed. My plan is to give them plain water next time.

Day 22: They seemed to have responded well to the topping and the feeding. It is apparent to me that I should have started feeding them earlier — lesson learned.

Also worthwhile for me to note: they are all in various states of health and each of them have lived in the exact same environment. I suppose this speaks to genetics. I wonder if I would have done things differently (like feed them more and earlier) if the healthy ones would be unhealthy and the ones struggling would be doing great?

My guess would be that there is a happy medium that I haven't found yet.

So things aren't great but i hope I have them back on track now.

IMG_031621.jpg
IMG_031126.jpg
IMG_030926.jpg

Re: PhishwithPhiv’s 600w SCROG - WW-XTRM - AK-XTRM - Soil - 2014

90% of what I see in the pics can be simply, too much water! I'd cut the half dead leaf in the dirt, in half in the middle.

You are doing a great job in this new journal. Plants look very happy & healthy :thumb:

If the discoloration on leaves continues, cut back on nutes and feed just water at least, every other feed (IMO)

hope you are liking the site so far :circle-of-love: stop by anytime

Entry 9 (5/17): Too Much Fertilizer (Days 23-26)

Day 23: The plants are clearly showing signs of problems — from everything I have read it points to over fertilizing. I suppose it will get worse before it gets better. Next watering I will plan to give it plain water and hope that gets them back in shape.

Day 24: Basic upkeep plus I trimmed the dead and dying leaves.

Day 25: Getting a bit hot during part of the day: up to 85 degrees but is usually around 80-84.

Day 26: Did more trimming today. I did some real damage with the over feeding. The upside is that there is new growth and it seems to be doing okay.

Some details and pictures of each plant below:

AK 47 I - (5" H x 10.75" W) Lost the first 2 sets of leaves and the 3rd set is about half burnt/removed. The 4th set of leaves has some burnt tips. 5th set up looks good.

IMG_032019.jpg
IMG_032224.jpg

AK 47 II — (5" H x 10" W). First set of leaves are done and the 2nd and 3rd sets are about 25% burnt-removed. 4th set up is not burnt but it seems small/weak. The whole plant still has the odd color issues.

IMG_032425.jpg
IMG_032523.jpg

WW I — (5" H x 10" W). 1st of leaves are gone; 2nd set about 75% burnt-removed; 3rd set about 50% burnt-removed. The 4th set has yellow tips but the rest of the plant is okay.

IMG_032724.jpg
IMG_033033.jpg

WW II — (5.5" H x 11" W). First 2 sets of leaves are gone and the 3rd set is about 80% burnt-removed. The forth set is around 10% burnt-removed. The plant looks weak over all.

IMG_033231.jpg
IMG_033439.jpg

WW III — (5.5" H x 10.5" W). First set of leaves is gone; 2nd set is about 10% burnt-removed and 25% yellow; 3rd set is about 50% yellow. Forth set and up look good.

IMG_033541.jpg
IMG_033440.jpg

Here is a picture of the group

IMG_033827.jpg

I bought from AMS too, WW XTRM Fem and AK-47 XTRM. From what I can tell, based on some of my trials/tribulations so far what I can see the problem being is 1 or 2 things:

Overwatering and/or too much heat on the roots

Cut back and only water when needed. I wasn't adding any nutes, because mine are going outside in 15 days, but I was having the same issue with leaves looking like they were burned.

Try cutting back on watering and you should be good. Also make sure the roots aren't getting too hot.

Thanks for the advice aedifico - i can see where i could have been watering a day or so too early; i will focus on letting them get real dry before feeding/watering them in the future.

How do you measure the temperature at the roots? Their ambient temperature is low 80s for the most part so i don't know how that translates to the roots.

Do you have a journal set up for your grow?

Thanks again

Entry 10 (5/20): Four Weeks Old — Tied Down (Days 27-29)

Day 27: I watered all of them today (1/4 tsp of SuperThrive/gallon) with about 3 liters each. One of the plants was showing very mild signs (around 3.5 on moister meter) of wilting while the others could have waited another half day or so (between 6 and 6.5 on moister meter).

I am hoping that the SuperThrive will assist with the damaged I caused by over feeding.

New growth is coming in good and I will probably starting tying them down in a couple of days.

Day 28: They looked fine after the watering so I tied them all down this evening. I used small binder clips and mason string: tied down 8 on the AK 47 I and 6 on all the others.

Here is some before and after of the AK 47 I.

IMG_034228.jpg
IMG_034324.jpg
IMG_034529.jpg
IMG_034831.jpg

Group photo.

IMG_035027.jpg

Day 29: They seem to have responded well to the watering and the tying down. I think I will continue to pull them down a bit this week and then top them again this weekend.

I was thinking that at the next watering (probably Saturday or Sunday) I'd get back on the Fox Farm schedule. I am a bit worried that I will burn them but I am also worried that they will need the nutes — so I figured I would just go with the plan and see what happens.

A few pictures:

IMG_035226.jpg
IMG_035424.jpg
IMG_035627.jpg

Entry 11 (5/24): Second Toppings (Days 30-33)

Day 30: Basic upkeep.

Day 31: Temperature is ranging between 78 and 82 degrees with humidity from high 30s to mid 40s.

I adjusted the tie downs: just pulled them down a bit more.

Day 32: I adjusted the tie downs again — they look fine.

I feed AK I this morning and AK II this afternoon using 30 ml of Big Bloom and 15 ml of Grow Big / gallon. They got a bit less than 2 liters each.

Day 33: Busy day but I think things went well. I watered WW II and WW III first thing this morning and WW I late this evening with the same formula as yesterday (the AKs seem to have responding fine).

I topped all of them this afternoon. I removed 6-8 tops per plant — I just snipped anything that was obvious. I felt nervous about it because I have never done a second topping before — but, everything I read leads me to believe it was a good idea for a scrog; we will see.

The canopy is about 5". They are really packed in (very dense). I am guessing that they will stretch out in the coming weeks. My plan was to transplant them and set up the screen when they are about 8".

They are still some partially dead leaves and some new leaves toward the bottoms that are yellowish (I assume the later are a result of no light???). I am just pulling them off when they come easy.

Following are a couple pictures of the AK I (best of the bunch) and below that a picture of the WW II (least healthy looking of the group).

IMG_035831.jpg
IMG_036037.jpg

WW II below:

IMG_036329.jpg

And here is a group photo:

IMG_036129.jpg

Entry 12 (5/27): Five Weeks Old (Days 34-36)

Day 34: Basic upkeep — Temp ranging between 79-81 with humidity in the lower 40s.

Day 35: Continued to adjust tie downs.

Day 36: I watered AK I and AK II around noon today (plain water set out for a couple of days).

They are getting bushy. Each stands around 5-6" and they are dense.

It appears they have recovered from the over feeding. I don't think the leaves that died off would have survived much longer anyway due to the lack of light getting through the higher leaves.

IMG_036520.jpg
IMG_036825.jpg
IMG_036919.jpg

I really don't have room to tie them down much more; another couple of inches growth and I will need to get them under the screen.

I figure I will have to transplant the best three in a week or so.

Entry 13 (5/31): Feed Again (too much?) (Days 37-40)

Day 37: Watered WW II and WW III today with plain water.

Day 38: Watered WW III today with plain water.

Day 39: Feed AK I and AK II today with 30ml BB and 15ml GB.

Day 40: Feed WW II today with 30ml BB and 15ml GB.

Temperature has been holding steady at between 80 and 82 degrees while the relative humidity has been going up a bit and is ranging between 42-46%.

They don't look great but they are alive and continue to grow. The lower leaves are yellowing (like a dirty yellow but I am a bit color blind so can't describe too well) and I know it is a lack or excess of something I just don't know what it could be. I did some remedial deduction and think it must still have something to do with the nutes. I have been following the plan except I am feeding 1 time a week instead of 2 (just because I am not needing to water them very often) so it seems like they couldn't be getting overfed — unless they are getting too much at once or the ph is off. But I don't know....

I will focus on the ph in the coming week.

I am keeping them tied down to about 6". I usually adjust them a bit every other day or so. At this point I will try and just let them go until I transplant and get them under the screen.

Speaking of transplant — I will probably do so in the coming week (I will also cull 2 of them). If I had to choose three today that I will keep it would be AK I, AK II, and WW II.

Pictures below:

AK I: Doesn't look as good as it did a few days ago but is still showing growth and doing okay.

IMG_037323.jpg

AK II: Looking better than it did a few days ago and is showing strong growth.

IMG_037626.jpg

W I: Looks good but just a bit smaller with slower growth than the rest of them.

IMG_037819.jpg

W II: She has some leaf yellowing and some leaf deformation but solid growth and looks better than it did in the recent past.

IMG_037917.jpg

W III: Does not look so good. Yellowing leafs and anemic growth.

IMG_038123.jpg

Here is a picture of the whole group:

IMG_038625.jpg

I will probably adjust the screen height to stand 8" above the soil in the new pots. With this growth rate I am thinking they will only veg under the screen for a week or so before switching the lights over to 12/12.

Back
Top Bottom