Snoop Tries Doc's Kit - Spring/Summer 2015

Snoop429

Snoop tries Doc's Kit

Howdy 420,

Welcome to my 2nd journal. My first is in the drying stage so time to start another one. This will be my first time trying the kit. I have been following most of the Kit grows that Ive ran into. Mostly just reading, lurking and hoping to pick up some knowledge along the way.

I have a few different goals that Im working towards with this grow.

1. Make it to the end without any major problems
  2. Learn how to use the Kit and get comfortable with the process
  3. Grow better Cannabis then I can buy (shouldn't be that hard)
  4. Have fun and enjoy the grow

Strains

White Skunk (feminized)

As a true Skunk, this seed-strain is consistent, potent and easy to grow; if anything, her uniformity, reliability and power have been increased in her all-female incarnation.

White Skunk has the vigor and rapid flowering time for which her extended family is famous, while her longer, slightly more open bud structure reflects the Sativa side of her cannabis ancestry.

White Skunk´s aroma is an improvement over the ´typical Skunk´ smell.

She produces large, running buds smothered in resin crystals and infused with a rich, bitter-orange scent that´s reminiscent of a fine liqueur.

AK-48

AK48 smells of fruit and pine trees and is well known for its punchy buzz and long-lasting high. About 1 in 20 plants presents as a delicious cherry flavored phenotype. AK48 produces a comfortable, warm body buzz that does not leave you overly couchlocked or lethargic.

Double Thai

All the best that Thailand has to offer is condensed, purified and double-concentrated into this magical Sativa. The sun always shines when the Double Thai is around, and the aromas will make an aromatic tropical jungle of any grow space.

Stage

We are just getting started.
Originally this grow was going to be all White Skunk but only had 2/5 seeds germinated. Thats no good so planted another 6 of the Ak-48, 3 germinated. I bought them from a sponsor but feel like I got some sub-par seeds but I have a bad germination recorded going so who knows. When they did sprout they all came up within a few hours of each other in about 5 days. Today I will plant the 4 Double Thia that I have and they will go going into Flower right away.

Environment

The Skunk and Ak are currently in the Veg tent. I have a Hydroharm T5 4'/8 bulb. The Double Thia will also be in there until they pop. Day temps have been around 76F with 50% Rh. Night time drops to 63F with Rh peaking at 68%.

Flower tent is a 4x4 with a Mars 900w. I started using Root Pouch Pots. They are a fabric pot made from recycled plastic and are much cheaper then some of the other cloth pots that are out there. I'll be flowering in the 7 gal size.

This picture was taken about a week ago. White skunk with a AK-48 in the back. :Rasta:

20150426_202136.jpg

The White Skunk got a dunk today and were topped at the 5th node

5ml growth
1ml tea
1.5ml Transplant This was mixed with about 6 litters of Ro water.

20150503_123546.jpg

Just finished planting the Double Thai.

- Filled a 1 gallon pot with soil
- Made a 1/4 hole and applied roots (about 2.5ml each)
- put the seed in the hole and covered
- Watered each, 1 pint of 1/4 strength Transplant with the sprayer

Lets see if I can have better luck with this batch :Rasta:

20150503_170641.jpg
20150503_172705.jpg

Re: Snoop tries Doc's Kit Spring/Summer 2015

Yesterday I applied my fist Brix Foliar and today I sprayed Stress. I also turned the heat on in the veg tent yesterday. Its set at 70F. Last night I had a low of 72F but the Rh stayed more consistent and only increased to 60% instead of the 70% that I have been seeing. Day temps arr still 77F/50%Rh. Will monitor the next few days and see how it goes. With my first harvest dry, my flower tent could be back up and running any time. I have yet to decide if I will get everything in there to veg under the LED or stay under the T5 :Rasta:

20150505_105545.jpg
20150505_105607.jpg

Welcome to my thread BrixKlinger. :passitleft:

Here is something that I didn't expect to see so early into the grow. The roots are starting to bust through the pots! These are 1 gallon pots but do to settling there only about 70% full. Next time I think I will water once or twice before planting and top them back up so they are nice and full.

20150507_121717.jpg

Time for an update:

In the last few days I sprayed Stress and watered with Ro.

They all needed water again today. Drying out a little quicker then i thought they would. Mixed Some Growth, Transplant and Tea and dunked and poured on the Skunk and AK.

Skunk in the dunk tank
20150510_192926.jpg

3 Ak 48 and White Skunk in the back
20150510_193127.jpg

And last but not least I proved myself wrong. Here we have 4 Double Thia. It might get a little tight around here.
20150510_191818.jpg

There was a little yellowing on a few bottom leaves.(see first pic) Not sure but thinking it might have been from letting them dry out a little bit much? Depending on how the Skunk looks the next few days might replant in 7 gal. :ganjamon:

Good Morning :nomo:

After reading another journal someone mentioned they look at the Kit as gallons of soil instead of number of plants. This makes more sense for figuring out application rates. So i went back and looked at my numbers for the first 2 drenches and seems I was on the high side. This would be a more logical reason for the yellow leaves.

Basing the Kit on 50 gal on soil then the break down per gal would be.

Growth .3 ml
Tea .05 ml
Transplant .075 ml I'm going to go with these numbers for now unless something changes.

Sprayed Brix on Monday and Stress today. Mixed up 3.75ml with a 1/2 cup Ro. I ordered some new spray bottles that will hopefully put out a finer mist. You can see how there are some larger droplets on the leaves.

White Skunk
20150513_092920.jpg

Other Skunk showing some yellow leaves.
20150513_093005.jpg

Ak-48 coming along nicely
20150513_093022.jpg

and the Double Thia
20150513_093055.jpg

With my first grow I topped and then just let the plant grow. I ended up with 2 mains and a bunch of secondary colas. It would be nice to have a more even canopy. Haven't decided if I will just do the same again or try to Super Crop the mains and see what happens. They are starting to reach up above the canopy again on the Skunk. The Ak has yet to go topped so may even just super crop instead. :Rasta:

Great start Snoop! :thumb:

So, you got 100% germination on the Double Thais! That's high on the list for my next batch of beans - can't wait to see how yours do!

Everything looks vibrant and eager. I'd blame your yellow leaves on dry soil - it's really hard to overfeed with the kit. Too much of a drench will just sorta "stun" the soil for awhile. You should stick to 1/4 Trans/water for a couple good soakings. The fabric pots are great for that. And go easy on the Brix until they get bigger.

Loookin' Gooood, mang. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Thanks Greytail,

Just found one of your post on mixing drenches for pot size. Good info for those of us on our first run. I'm going to re post it here.

This question about dosing rotates through the thread on a regular basis as new people come onboard.

I think the confusion comes from two different ways of looking at watering. If you're growing several plants of the same age and type, you tend to think in terms of concentration in the feed water, because you're going to mix up a bunch and feed 'em all. But if you have different plants of different ages, you'll be feeding each plant separately, so you need to calculate how much each plant needs.

The instructions are written for one feed to multiple plants, so it's given as a concentration - so much per gallon of water. Everybody gets a bunch of properly mixed feed water.

To feed individual plants, you calculate how much per gallon of soil, added to as much water as the plant will take. I feed on the low side, and for my 6 gallon pots, I use ~ 2.5 ml of drench and 0.3 ml Tea. But that's just the mark on the vial that I aim for - sometimes it slops up to 4 ml. No big deal. An easy way to dose individual plants is to mix the drench and Tea in individual 16oz solo cups, pour them each into the soil and follow with 1/4 Transwater until they're soaked. When I have a complicated feeding, I mix up a dose for each of 7 plants, and then fill a big bucket with transwater. I might have two Energy feedings and one CatDrench, with two just transwater and two Transplant. Five of those will need Tea, so I put 1.5 ml into a gallon or so of water and let it steep. Then I'll mix up five individual cups of the various drenches. If everyone needs the same drench, I'll mix it in a gallon pail, and evenly distribute it.

It sounds complicated when I lay it out like that, but feeding 7 individual plants is complicated. If you're doing a batch, you just fill a big bucket and pour in the right amount of drench.

So, calculate how much dosage for your pot size, and that's always how much each plant gets. Add water as needed.

Benchmark dosages:
1 Gallon pot = 0.5-1.0 ml Drench, 0.05-0.1 ml Tea
7 Gallon pot = 3-7 ml Drench, 0.3-0.7 ml Tea
10 Gallon pot = 5-10 ml Drench, 0.5-1.0 ml Tea

Update Time:

Decided that I would Super Crop today. Thanks Duggan! I've been interested in trying it for a while now so the Skunk and 2 Ak got it. The idea of growing a little bush sounds like fun. I did break a main on one of the Skunk so tapped it up.:Rasta:

AK-48
20150514_175831.jpg
20150514_180023.jpg

You can see the tape in the middle
20150514_180916.jpg

White Skunk
20150514_181052.jpg
20150514_181344.jpg

Family shot.
20150514_181442.jpg

Hey Snoop - I'm very interested in your project with Docs kit. I will be doing this in another month or two, after the soil cooks a bit. Thanks for the extra explanations which are always helpful. I have not looked much at LST, Supercrop or Fim so I probably won't be doing that. I may take a few clones though.

Your plants look so healthy! I hope that broken stem heals. It's amazing what they can heal.

:peacetwo:

Thanks for checking out my plants Tranquilgreen.

This adventure will show what someone with very limited indoor growing experience (under 5 months) can do with Doc's Kit. Its very exciting. I think I'll also try to take a few clones.:Rasta:

What are your Day/Night temps bro? The reason I ask is because it appears you have a very narrow Day/night temp spread. We like about a 10-15 degree drop in night temps....10 degrees to limit stretch, 15 degrees for normal stretch. Less than the 10 degrees will produce weird structure with zero internode spacing. Inverted temps, where it's hotter at night than during the day will also make 'em weird. Your's appear to have the look of a narrow day/night temp spread. They're healthy as can be, but will grow a bit better if you fix that.....provided it's even an issue.

Over watering can also be a problem....

Have you let them dry out to the point of wilting yet?

What are your Day/Night temps bro? The reason I ask is because it appears you have a very narrow Day/night temp spread. We like about a 10-15 degree drop in night temps....10 degrees to limit stretch, 15 degrees for normal stretch. Less than the 10 degrees will produce weird structure with zero internode spacing. Inverted temps, where it's hotter at night than during the day will also make 'em weird. Your's appear to have the look of a narrow day/night temp spread. They're healthy as can be, but will grow a bit better if you fix that.....provided it's even an issue.

Over watering can also be a problem....

Have you let them dry out to the point of wilting yet?

I would say my average differential is about 13F. I just took a look and its 77.3F and lights have been on 10 hours. There were a few days when it was under 10F when I first added the heater but turned it down a setting. The heater was added because I was getting a low of 62 and Rh would get as high as 80% at night. Will double check in the morning but think I was 65/79 for yesterday. Guilty of over watering. Will let them dry out more before next drink. Thanks Doc

Back
Top Bottom