Beateo's Winter 2015 Multi-Strain Indoor CFL Grow in Soil

Hey Brother Beateo:)....how far into flower is that AK?......i am sure that somebody already suggested it...but if you arent to far in you can super crop the top cola.....just to lay it over a bit.....but not if you are more than about 4 weeks....i have done it around then and they had problems mending the bend....i ended up having to tie them from above to where i wanted them to sit....but up to that time i have had good success with it for unruly ones:)

I'm caught up now. The auto's look so bushy! Any idea how big the root system is? And I was probably the one who suggested the 90% humidity for clones, I remember reading it from a reputable journal on this site somewhere, figure it is legit information and kinda makes sense

your right about needing the high humidity but i believe with an aero, bubbler cloner it is not necessary as they have access to moisture constantly.....with rock wool, plugs, basically anything that can dry out you want a humidity dome so that it keeps the moisture in....keeping the leaves nice and healthy:).....i am not an expert...this is just my own personal experience with cloning:)....i used to use a tray with a humidity dome, but bubble and aero cloners are a fail safe way to clone in my opinion....as long as you keep water in them your clones have plenty of moisture....the biggest thing of concern is pump failure:)...but with me if i have one then i will notice right away as i am in here all the time:rofl:lol.....
Good to see you around Stealthboat:)

Ooops! In my post above about keeping the light m/l the same height, I forgot, I did top my tallest plant about two weeks before the flip. Otherwise, I'd be moving that light up for sure.

Green Dreamz...
No idea. I don't know how to decide when the auto started to flower and when it didn't? They're just doing their own thing. One is loaded with buds and the other has only a few. I probably could bend her a bit if it comes to it.... that cola is long and should bend if I'm careful.... good idea to think about bro.. thanks!
:Namaste:
Hey Brother Beateo:)....how far into flower is that AK?......i am sure that somebody already suggested it...but if you arent to far in you can super crop the top cola.....just to lay it over a bit.....but not if you are more than about 4 weeks....i have done it around then and they had problems mending the bend....i ended up having to tie them from above to where i wanted them to sit....but up to that time i have had good success with it for unruly ones:)

Major,
Were there any negative effects on your girl when you flipped only 2 weeks after topping her?
Ooops! In my post above about keeping the light m/l the same height, I forgot, I did top my tallest plant about two weeks before the flip. Otherwise, I'd be moving that light up for sure.

Stealth,
Yeah man.. was missing you wondering if all was good? Glad to see you back bro.
No clue about the roots but I'll pull them after the chop and see how she did.
That 90%, in the closet I'm using isn't going to happen. I was broke and bought the cheapest humidifier I could find at wallyworld and it literally boils the water out! I can't plug it in for more than an hour in that closet or the temp gets WAY too high. My buddy told me that I didn't really need that high humidity using the bubbler I made. I've potted 6 out of 9 cuttings so far so I'm thinking he was right.
As a side note.. I think you are also right... the ones I put in soil for my original cloning attempt are all dead... possibly because I couldn't keep the humidity high enough?? Anyway.. that's all good and again, good to have you back bro!
I'm caught up now. The auto's look so bushy! Any idea how big the root system is? And I was probably the one who suggested the 90% humidity for clones, I remember reading it from a reputable journal on this site somewhere, figure it is legit information and kinda makes sense

Major,
Were there any negative effects on your girl when you flipped only 2 weeks after topping her?

Not that I noticed, but I'm learning as I go.
The topped girl did come out with a nice even canopy of buds. Lots of smaller nugs but, of course, no single larger cola like the others. I've been fighting my first grow from the get-go, so for me, I am smooth sailing right now with 3-5 weeks left.

I decided to flip to 12/12 tonight. This is about 1-2 weeks earlier than I had planed but I think it was the right choice.
I'm hoping I don't lose too much by making this move. I did learn that with my new set up a 7' ceiling really isn't all that high. :)
I'll be trying to find strains that grow more out than up.
Anyway, when I did change the timer, I got a good look around and can't see any light leaks. I was concerned with the clone closet leaking light but the weather stripping did the trick.
Time to relax with a bowl and reflect on how fortunate I am to be alive, be loved, be here, and be a 420 Magazine community member! :)

So I have 2 clones I'm going to put in larger container for mother plants... one Haze and one Amnesia.... I also have 6 others, 4 Haze and 2 Amnesia, potted in small pots for my next grow. I just flipped so I would have to keep the six plants small enough to manage in my clone closet until my current grow is finished... probably somewhere around 2 months?
My question... is it possible to just keep clipping and trimming for 2 months to keep them small and THEN to move them under the HPS and veg them normally? I only have 2 spaces to use.. my grow room is HPS/MH under 12/12 for flowering and a small cloning closet that will stay under 18/6 for clones/mothers with several CFLs. Any thoughts and ideas appreciated! :)

Hey Brother Beateo:)...here are my thoughts on clipping them.....i have two clones in my aerogarden that have been there for at least a month i think....i am keeping them alive in case the seed project i have going now fails then i can use them........i had to clip them back once already....the side branches took off and will need to be clipped soon......this is new territory for me but my thinking on it is that i can keep clipping it back until i need them.....once i do the i will take a clone off each and root them....and they will be me new ones to try for seeds......now they are a clone of a clone right now......so if i do what i say and clone off these in the aerogarden the it will be a 3rd generation clone......first i dont know what to call it so that sounded good.....i am sure not the correct term:)lol......second....i dont know how much i lose by cloning off a clone and how many times it can be done:).....but that is my plans:)....i do think you should keep them as far away from direct light to slow them some.....not total darkness but in a corner maybe?:)......hope this helps bro:)

Fifth day of 12/12 so I thought I'd do a quick update. I mostly took the pictures so everyone can see the whole plant. I did get a nug photo of each of the autos and took a picture of my clone tray and one of my Amnesia and Haze mothers.

Mums & Clones:
DSCN23573.JPG

DSCN23585.JPG

AK-49 Auto #1:

DSCN23592.JPG

DSCN23613.JPG

AK-49 Auto #2:

DSCN23624.JPG

DSCN23632.JPG

My 2 Haze:

DSCN23642.JPG

DSCN23654.JPG

I'm not sure which strain this one is...her label got destroyed when I transplanted her to the starter pot.:

DSCN23663.JPG

My Amnesia:

DSCN23675.JPG

And finally, Sleestack Skunk freebie from Herbies:

DSCN23685.JPG

Thanks for looking, as always, comments, tips, criticism, always welcome! :)

All is looking great!
Your clones appear to have taken off. How long were they in the bubbler before you found roots and transplanted into soil? How long were the roots? I just started some cuttings.

Thanks brother GD! I said before that my success is the success of the members of this community and that is very true! Great bunch we have here. :)

For new members and those who are thinking of switching from CFL to HPS/MH, I will point out some of the differences between the two methods that I have noticed.... My first grow was totally under CFL's. This current grow started under CFL but I quickly upgraded to HPS/MH. The thing that jumps right out there.... my electric bill was averaging about $120/month. My last bill for March... first one with entire time using HPS... was $225. That's a hell of an increase. I use, I'm guessing, twice as much water under these lights. Heat is a real issue to deal with and I'm not only using more water but have to water more often as well. Every flaw I notice on my leaves, droop, yellow tips, etc... I believe I can attribute to the heat that HPS puts out. It's possible to run out of ceiling height with the HPS.
Now for some points on the plus side.... My plants have all grown much faster and much bigger than the last grow. So far I only have buds on my AK autos.... they're way tight compared to last time and they're ALL OVER the place. This light seems much more forgiving and covers much more area. I'm still amazed when I pull out the light meter and it needs to be a mere inches from a CFL for the needle to deflect... if I put it under my HPS I can literally put it on the floor and get much more needle deflection than I can with the CFLs. I get the feeling that the HPS actually penetrates the canopy.... (don't know whether or not that is really true?)... but the light sure gets where it needs to be! :)
When comparing costs.... it's not as cut and dried as it may seem.... I have almost as much in the CFLs as in the HPS! The HPS was between $200 and $250... I really can't remember.. DAMN IT! :) Anyway... 8 reflective hoods from wallyworld, between $8 and $10 each. That's $70 or so... then the 200W equivalent bulbs were $12 each and the 150W were $9... Well over $100 for the bulbs. Another $25 for the "splitters" to put 2 bulbs in each reflector. I guess the point I'm making is I have a TON more money invested into the CFL setup than I thought I would have. The HPS "package" is a few components and very simple.
So, in conclusion.. both methods work and are a blast... Don't matter how you grow... just GROW BABY!! :) :love:
I hope at times my aimless ranting can help someone. lol

Nice pics Beateo, everything is looking good, and the Amnesia is really tall! Nice notes on the CFL/HPS comparison. How will you support all those branches later in flower though when they get weighed down by bud?

Back
Top Bottom