1/4" drip line help

sportyridr

Hi everyone, I have been on a search for soft pliable 1/4 drip line. The products are endless and so is the poor quality so to save me some trouble I was looking for recommendations for a good product to use. I know you will keep me on the str8 & narrow :p:)

Most are just plain "ignorant" to work with unless its about a 100 degrees out in the sun. So where can I find softer, pliable 1/4" tubing?

Thank you in advance :peace:

Audaciously dropping a pic of current grow in my 32" x 32"

current grow 1_15_22.jpg

Clear aquarium air tubing. It is soft and pliable, and works as drip line.
Yep. And if clear is not wanted you should be able to get black. Some tropical fish and aquarium shops carry a "baby blue" colored air-line that is semi-transparent.

Editing to add that the above is for airline intended for fresh water aquariums. You might want to see if there are other options for "salt water" aquariums. There might be a line that will be better suited if nutrient solutions are going through the line. Just a thought.

Yep. And if clear is not wanted you should be able to get black. Some tropical fish and aquarium shops carry a "baby blue" colored air-line that is semi-transparent.

Editing to add that the above is for airline intended for fresh water aquariums. You might want to see if there are other options for "salt water" aquariums. There might be a line that will be better suited if nutrient solutions are going through the line. Just a thought.

Clear aquarium air tubing. It is soft and pliable, and works as drip line.

Thanks folks but honestly there's no way I'm using clear tubing for this application. I'm still not understanding "why" there is not a quality black 1/4" "ID" Inside Diameter drip line (sold as hydro drip line) that is pliable and at a reasonable cost.

So much junk out there it's impossible to sort it out without being hands on to check. I really don't feel like playing the amazon return game until I luck out lol....

If you’ve got a Lowe’s, Home Depot or even Ace hardware or outdoor supply, they usually have a couple brands, one is the stiff one ( you can soften it up by putting it in in very hot water), the other is just like aquarium tubing, but black.

Ya know, thanks for that...somehow I never think to check those guys...I buy my perlite at HD, I'll check

Thanks folks but honestly there's no way I'm using clear tubing for this application. I'm still not understanding "why" there is not a quality black 1/4" "ID" Inside Diameter drip line (sold as hydro drip line) that is pliable and at a reasonable cost.
I did not think you wanted the clear which is why I mentioned the black line and the blue line found at tropical fish stores. The air line for fish is quality because it cannot off-gas any solvents or release particles that could pollute the water and kill the fish. And, it takes a long time before it stops being pliable and starts to stiffen up and crack, etc.

Be careful with any sort of fuel or air line meant for automobile use. Some of that stuff can get stiff as a board within a year or so. The quality stuff will be recommended for lead-free fuel with alcohol added. That will stay soft and not release any chemicals from the line. The best is 'marine' grade but the price is ridiculous but the stuff will look like new years later. I have some under the floor boards of my boat that is about 17 years old and might still pass inspection for a few more years.

Just mentioning some options for emergency in case you cannot find what you need.

Are there any grow or hydro shops in the area? I have noticed that some of the gardening shops are now carrying basic hydro supplies. The shop is not for people trying to grow weed but the shops are carrying basic supplies as more hobby gardeners start to set up hydro systems for indoor growing of flowers and vegetables.

I did not think you wanted the clear which is why I mentioned the black line and the blue line found at tropical fish stores. The air line for fish is quality because it cannot off-gas any solvents or release particles that could pollute the water and kill the fish. And, it takes a long time before it stops being pliable and starts to stiffen up and crack, etc.

Be careful with any sort of fuel or air line meant for automobile use. Some of that stuff can get stiff as a board within a year or so. The quality stuff will be recommended for lead-free fuel with alcohol added. That will stay soft and not release any chemicals from the line. The best is 'marine' grade but the price is ridiculous but the stuff will look like new years later. I have some under the floor boards of my boat that is about 17 years old and might still pass inspection for a few more years.

Just mentioning some options for emergency in case you cannot find what you need.

Are there any grow or hydro shops in the area? I have noticed that some of the gardening shops are now carrying basic hydro supplies. The shop is not for people trying to grow weed but the shops are carrying basic supplies as more hobby gardeners start to set up hydro systems for indoor growing of flowers and vegetables.

The black line looks nice & has good reviews so it's on my list as I'm still looking but is prob going to be the winner this time around.

I'm definately steering clear of the auto stuff as well as marine for the exact reasons you mention. Haha, beer line looks nice to use as well but not at 3.00/foot lol.

I have two hydro shops within 12 miles of me and have tried on numerous occasions to spend money at both of them and have been unsuccessful now 6 times. I don't need 100' of drip line and prob never will use that much. Both sell it that way, no 10' or 25' sections available and it's not very pliable at all. They won't break a roll to sell even with a mark up which is what I'd do but I digress. Tried to buy an Autopot system as well, none in stock just parts n pieces but we'll have more soon for two months lol. Interestingly, why does every sales person think they have to prove they know more than me or think they do...lmao

Thanks @SmokingWings for your help!

I have two hydro shops within 12 miles of me and have tried on numerous occasions to spend money at both of them and have been unsuccessful now 6 times. I don't need 100' of drip line and prob never will use that much.
I have a place like that about 12 miles away that is pretty much strictly hydro. They are catering to the big medical grows where the farmer has 35 to 99 or more plants depending on whether they are legal or underground. I stop in and wait in line for them to process those multi $1,000 orders so I can buy the occasional fertilizer or nutrient blend that can be used in soil or hydro and I cannot get somewhere else.

I have a place like that about 12 miles away that is pretty much strictly hydro. They are catering to the big medical grows where the farmer has 35 to 99 or more plants depending on whether they are legal or underground. I stop in and wait in line for them to process those multi $1,000 orders so I can buy the occasional fertilizer or nutrient blend that can be used in soil or hydro and I cannot get somewhere else.

One's a Mom n Pop & the other is a chain. I'll keep giving them a shot but it's wasteful to me to make a trip for nothing when I keep coming back with nothing lol. Has been much easier to click buttons and wait at the door the last couple years. I'll get it sorted, thanks for your time.

I bought 100' of black tubing from my local hydro shop a while back and I doubt I'll ever use it all.
If you want I can send you some?
You don't want the clear stuff it gets gummy and turns brown when exposed to excess heat or UV

I bought 100' of black tubing from my local hydro shop a while back and I doubt I'll ever use it all.
If you want I can send you some?
You don't want the clear stuff it gets gummy and turns brown when exposed to excess heat or UV

Quite nice of you @Southerncough, no need to do that. I'm in no rush to change over to 1/4" from 1/2" feed. The 1/2" works ok but alot harder to get slower feed rate. As usual there are a million tubing options, key is finding the right one.

Thank you kindly.

Home Depot has 2 types of 1/4" black tubing. The hard plastic is found in the evaporate cooler section.. The softer vinyl 1/4 inch is in the drip irrigation section.. It's not dead soft like the clear but is a lot softer than the hard stuff.

Hoping to get to HD this weekend, things are messed up this week with the storm and now the bitter cold is coming back so I'll get there at some point. I have also saw some brown colored tubing they stock ,want to check that as well. Thanks for your post and explanation.

No I didn't as they sell 100' lengths only.

same length as found in the hardware stores. they come as 50s and 100.

as mentioned above you can get black irrigation tubing all day long at most big box hardware stores. under ten bucks for fifty foot and exactly the product you would get for triple the price at a hydro shop

same length as found in the hardware stores. they come as 50s and 100.

as mentioned above you can get black irrigation tubing all day long at most big box hardware stores. under ten bucks for fifty foot and exactly the product you would get for triple the price at a hydro shop

Right, thank you...

Back
Top Bottom