Do you think I will make it over 1g/W

• Yes

Votes: 14 58.3%
  • No

Votes: 10 41.7%

• Total voters
re: 1G/W - Aero 171 Plant SOG Under 600W w/Mover - Kandy Kush

Time for update:
The prolonged cloning in trays idea brought unsatisfactory results - big losses due to rotting clones that already had roots. Two weeks seems to be the magic number for clone propagation. What doesn't meet the criteria at that point should be tossed.
I was amazed by the amount of clone losses during transplantation this time around.
Right now I only have 74 left out of 288, many of which won't make it another week. I estimate only about 50 plants getting to grow up to mature and flower. I will probably have to modify my rig slightly to utilize space for those plants that are going to make it in the most efficient way. Because I managed to raise my light significantly, I should veg the remaining plants longer and train them for the net and do SCROG instead. To get 600 g off 30 plants would mean the average plant must yield 20 gram dry. I need to find a picture of such a plant in order to better understand what I am in for. I still have no idea why sometimes clones are so viable, and sometimes they are not. This is an unfortunate setback, but I am pretty flexible with my setup now, so we'll see what I can do. I will have some bud, that's for sure!

I needed to raise the rail in order to raise the light fixture to allow for better throw and grow space.
But the tent would not handle 11' of a 2x4 on top of it together with the light and the rail for sure, so I had to get creative.
I bought x2 of 8' long steel beams meant to attach commercial sheetrock for $3.20 a piece- they are incredibly light and provide rigidity when screwed together. I put the beam on top of the metal tent structure and bolted the light rail directly to it, leaving tent trusses sandwiched in-between. I also managed to significantly reduce the length of light fixture suspension to the rail drive:
Capture325.JPG

There are only 74 of us left, but we are from SPAAARTAAA!!!!

Capture231.JPG

Flight controls

ph- check
ppm - check

Capture93.JPG

Capture142.JPG

Catch-pan sporting the new level switch (and showing the amount of water draining while spraying):

Capture417.JPG

Four rails (so far) sitting idle

Capture514.JPG

Botanical corner

Capture613.JPG

Does switching to MH bulbs really makes a big difference vs. vegging under a Sodium?
I call bullshit

Oh, yeah, I miscalculated the number of clones. There are 104 survivors not 74. But I could count at least ten I could toss this second.
But I believe in slow starters, plus they it doesn't hurt anyone - they want a chance - I give them a chance

It still looks like the final number of plants will be around 60-70. I wonder what to do - go perpetual with three zones by buying equipment all over again and having three sets of everything to take care of, but ditch momming completely? or should I rather modify my smaller rig to grow lots of mothers (15-20) and being able to take only the best clones in abundance utilizing the original 171 plant SOG straight to 12/12 idea to the fullest?

I wonder what modifications the small rig would require to turn 8 rail 74 site SOG rig to make it house only a quarter of that amount of plants. I would probably keep the manifold, but only put every other rail (5) in, and would replace two-sided sprayers with one-side sprayers - this way I won't have to plug empty holes to protect from spray and it is also cheap and easy. This mod would make it a 5x4=20 mom rig. I will train the hell out of them and use the closet I am using to keep moms now strictly for holding trays of clones while rooting.

Android, its a real bummer that you are experiencing problems with this batch of clones. I am now in the midst of finishing my first grow and have learned a little about my own cloning experience, which I have gone through several iterations over the past six months. I hope I can add some value to your predicament, since these different scenarios are still fresh in my mind. I wrote up my thoughts, but I felt it was too much to put in your journal, so I'll keep it quick by trying to learn a few details first before declaring myself an expert:

Is the pictured timer for the hydro, and if so, what is the "on" time set for? Too much "water-on" time is a sure way to kill clones within 24 hours or less. But you know that, I assume. Are temperatures decent?

IMHO, MH lamps are superior for vegetative growth. I used to run an electric contractor shop, as well as a big DC-based energy management company and have seen the difference in multiple growing environments and it consistently out-produced HPS - and at a more efficient rate, I might add. This was the same in both crops as well as ornamentals. The GLR was also beneficial, although I don't have as much empirical data on that method. The kicker was that crops were even more fruitful when keeping a small contingent of MH light to augment & complement the HPS after the switch to 12/12. I have also seen reflectors and side-light fixtures (using dual 4' fluorescent tubes), which also provide excellent results - but of course at an added price, which was uneconomical when taken to extreme.

I love your setup; you even use the same RO reservoir that I do, except I own the ugly gray one - these Brute containers are specifically designated as "food grade", as are the grow boxes that I have recently converted to. This is smart thinking; otherwise, the plants' resistance to disease & pests is lowered by plastic off-gassing chemicals. I had also considered using the same square post hardware that you use because of its flexibility in adapting to different types of growing methods, but I was not ready for such an ambitious setup.

I also have a common filter/pump feeding multiple grow containers, with a common drain back for recirculation. This system makes optimum use of the nutrients (which don't need to be changed as often) and the more capacity and quantity there is in the system, the less risk you run of affecting the plants when something goes out of balance in the system ... leading to the weakest link in the system.

That's all the unsolicited wisdom I will inflict on you and hope to hear better news from you soon. I have plenty more fresh rookie advice if you require additional distraction.

:thumb:

:goodjob:

The timer was set to spray for 1 min 20 sec every other 13 minutes or so in the beginning. Now it is sprays every 6 min or something

LST using nuts and bolts:

8373.JPG

7478.JPG

6547.JPG

This is the best tape in the world (the most expensive too! It sticks and it bends:

5649.JPG

4831.JPG

This is the res water temperature, keep in mind that sterilizer bulb runs 24/7:

31170.JPG

These are my moms as they currently sit:

2092.JPG

21301.JPG

19124.JPG

18132.JPG

This is the current mamas' closet. I am contemplating on expanding it 2-3 times or leaving it alone and growing mamas in small aero rig

16148.JPG

17141.JPG

That's the group shot of moms and moms-to-be:

14169.JPG

Here is the room for expansion:

15152.JPG

You can see my whole ventilation system in this picture. Also note the metal beam above the tent, holding it all together in the air:

13191.JPG

Manifold modified for 1 plant per square foot configuration:

Capture143.JPG

The general view of the rig:

Capture232.JPG

Day 17. Plants are finally taking off:

Capture418.JPG

Capture326.JPG

Capture233.JPG

This is the flood alarm I decided to buy after repeatedly spilling 15+ gal during the probational period maybe 6 or 8 times already. I have had enough!:

Capture144.JPG

This is the anti-recoil device I had to manufacture and install to prevent jerking of the whole manifold when the pump goes on. Because if left unchecked- this moves rails and sprayers away from their precisely calculated intended position in regards to two nearby plants and screws up the spraying pattern:

Capture94.JPG

That's it for now. Other than that, I have nothing interesting to report yet.

P.S. Just remembered one more mod I've done: I zip-tied a fish-tank rectangular filter media to the exhaust of UV-Sterilizer which operates 24/7 inside the main res. This helped a lot with filtering out the bark crumbles from the plugs and other suspended junk like different microscopic plants that live on the sides of the res despite the UV sterilizer filtering all the water constantly
I had to do this because the water supplied to the sprayers by the sump pump does not get filtered in-line, due to major problem with flow constriction.

:peace:

clone survivorship ratio is terrible - you see there are only 56 plants here (instead of 171 this rig was designed for). That corresponds to only 56/288= only 19.4% of the original clones have developed into mature ready-to bloom plants - that's only every fifth. This is unexpectedly low, and I am trying to understand why.

P.S.S: Whose idea was it to use nuts and bolts for LST? It is a great technique - very simple too!

P.S.S.S: In order to beat 600g dry now I need 3/8 off one plant on average. Is it achievable? So I am assuming SCROG would be a good way to do this, right?

Today is exactly 3 weeks since I populated the big rig to 1/4th of its intended capacity due to inability to produce enough viable clones to go SOG... The upside is that I got to train plants- something I have never done before to any plants besides mothers... Big ups go to the person who invented nut-and-bolt LST technique. I read his journal, but forgot his nickname:

9282.JPG
8376.JPG
7482.JPG
6555.JPG
5655.JPG
4840.JPG
31177.JPG
21309.JPG
14171.JPG
13193.JPG
12259.JPG
11730.JPG

Anyone still following this? I am just getting started

I want some advise if I should leave one cola per root, or if I should get some trellis netting and go SCROG instead?

doing good now mate :goodjob: i be watching

00bud87

Plants are really taking off as we speak - every top branch makes new 1-3 nodes DAILY!!!

Wanted to share one useful tip I discovered recently:
make sure to position wires of ph and ppm sensors so they do not intersect or sit anywhere near power wires and AC/DC converters - they are not properly shielded and give erroneous readings when positioned near strong magnetic fields.

New toy:
I bought an awesome USB digital microscope which is very easy to use for merely $30 on ebay - it captures at 1600x1200 resolution !!
Now I have a reliable tool to tell for sure when is the right time to harvest!!!

pics later

Did a lot of maintenance work today prepping the setup for 12/12, cleaning clogged sprayers, removing casting-shadows-on-nodes leaves, changing water, etc... Enjoy the pics. Let me know if you have any questions.

33125.JPG
34113.JPG
35107.JPG
37105.JPG
36106.JPG
38106.JPG
4050.JPG
42118.JPG
43104.JPG
41109.JPG
11735.JPG
11735.JPG
10262.JPG
12260.JPG
13194.JPG
14172.JPG
15154.JPG
16149.JPG
18134.JPG
17142.JPG
19125.JPG
2096.JPG
21318.JPG
22150.JPG
23128.JPG
24120.JPG
26116.JPG
25118.JPG
28106.JPG
29106.JPG
3049.JPG
31181.JPG
32116.JPG
4844.JPG
5657.JPG
6557.JPG
7484.JPG
8378.JPG
9283.JPG

For those who are still wondering why aeroponics, I have a couple of pictures explaining the difference:

Here:

Dirt vs Aeroponics:

Dirt:

27114.JPG

Aero:

28106.JPG

OK, for those still not getting the point:

Dirt:

27114.JPG

Aeroponics:

28106.JPG

----

Any questions?

I was changing the water today and snapped some pics:

This is the part of the return line - you can see the vacuum breaker and the 150 mesh Rainbird(?) filter

8379.JPG

This is what recirculates, filtrates and sterilizes the solution in the main res - the pump pushes water through the hose, to the UV sterilizer (not pictured) and back through a fish tank filter medium secured to the exit hose with a zip-tie:

9284.JPG

I love this trash can on wheels - when I need to change my water- I just pump out all the water out with a garden hose first, and then I just roll it to the next room (which is basement shower) and dump the remaining water down the drain - so convenient:

7486.JPG

6558.JPG

This thing right here is an absolute must-have!!!:

4846.JPG

No further comment...
Thank you for stopping by

21319.JPG

13195.JPG

12262.JPG

11736.JPG

This is what happens when you LST your plants horizontally:

10263.JPG