1st DWC/Hempy Harlequin Joe - Pot of Gold - NYSD - BB - ATF '13

How is them girls? hope thriving. Irie:peace:

Hey Sinsemillas, they're doing good... just uploaded a few pics:

The "Great Harlequin Jo", lol... bushing out more. I keep having to defol a fan here and there to keep her from overshading others.
IMG_20130615_193516.jpg

And a few close ups from Harley and PoG:
IMG_20130615_193328.jpg

IMG_20130615_193236.jpg

IMG_20130615_193248.jpg

So I'm kinda stoked :smokin:

A group shot of the Emily's Garden girls. As soon as everything in there is done, that unit goes to the veggies, lol.
IMG_20130615_193509.jpg

And the experimental seedlings, still growing, but slowly. More on this later:
IMG_20130615_193521.jpg

I was going through 420fied's most recent journal and noticed a few entries where he was very specific about wanting his plants roots to already be in the hempy res when he transplants. I know most of mine weren't at transplant, so since seedling #1 was about to touch the light again, I repotted her with root edges right on the res to see how much faster she does than the others. I'm also thinking this week, she gets FIM'ed as she's on the 5th node today, but lookin a little droopy and stressed after being repotted.
IMG_20130615_192917.jpg

I also noticed that of all the seeds that popped, they all look pretty similar. A few are a bit wider leaved, but all look fairly indica or indica dominant in the leaves. That said, the internodes aren't close, which could be from all the early stretch, but they all have a similar look, except for this one:
IMG_20130615_192952.jpg

I know I had at least 2 types of seeds in that bag, so I sorted them by size, color and pattern and had 3 piles. One was all very light colored, so maybe non-viable. I dropped one of each into presoaked rockwool this afternoon after they had soaked in water overnight, so if they all sprout, I'll know which seeds match, hopefully. We'll see, lol.

Thanks BID... can't wait til next week when I get paid so I can add some light and ventilation...

I've been experimenting with edibles, made canna stuffed mushrooms last night and just made some fillo pastries with kief... so far, nom nom, lol.

Good morning rune. Your girls are start to really respond to your love. Looking good :thumb:

Thanks beemberbill... I just went in to do my "morning check" and open the jury rigged tent and they're all putting out more and more. I love how you can see the difference immediately after a dark period :) Smell is getting more and more noticeable as well, lol. Need to put in a filter with the new light, bad, lol.

I'm thinking that at this time because of money constraints, of adding in CFL for this month, say 8 bulbs maxed out, that way I can afford ventilation and filtering. Next month I'll add either and HPS or LED for the new tent... really leaning towards the LEDs though for heat. I would only go with 3w bulb setups though.

Right now, I'm trying to figure out if this is heat/light stress from adding the extra CFL in with the seedlings:
isthislightheatstress.jpg

The others are showing some stress as well, but this one is the worst. This is the seedling I repotted deeper to have it's root tips in the res. I'm not sure if it looks like this from the added light, which is a lot brighter in that space than the cheap-o wally world fluro grow lights that are also in there, or is it shock from me repotting and breaking the peat starter pellet up? I'm not sure.

I am sure that adding an HPS into the space as it sits would be a bad bad idea, it'd melt the leaf bags that are covering right now. I figure CFLs and exhaust fan can handle it. My girl is getting me a tent next month, so when I have money again towards the middle of july, I'll get an LED and probably a few odds and ends to do another DIY something or another.... sooooo many to choose from, lol. Thinking light proof veg area, just in case a leak does occur or maybe a better cloner, or maybe some individual dwc or a homemade flood and drain... hmmm, dunno, lol.

I'm thinking that at this time because of money constraints, of adding in CFL for this month, say 8 bulbs maxed out, that way I can afford ventilation and filtering. Next month I'll add either and HPS or LED for the new tent... really leaning towards the LEDs though for heat. I would only go with 3w bulb setups though.

Right now, I'm trying to figure out if this is heat/light stress from adding the extra CFL in with the seedlings:
isthislightheatstress.jpg

The others are showing some stress as well, but this one is the worst. This is the seedling I repotted deeper to have it's root tips in the res. I'm not sure if it looks like this from the added light, which is a lot brighter in that space than the cheap-o wally world fluro grow lights that are also in there, or is it shock from me repotting and breaking the peat starter pellet up? I'm not sure.

I am sure that adding an HPS into the space as it sits would be a bad bad idea, it'd melt the leaf bags that are covering right now. I figure CFLs and exhaust fan can handle it. My girl is getting me a tent next month, so when I have money again towards the middle of july, I'll get an LED and probably a few odds and ends to do another DIY something or another.... sooooo many to choose from, lol. Thinking light proof veg area, just in case a leak does occur or maybe a better cloner, or maybe some individual dwc or a homemade flood and drain... hmmm, dunno, lol.

That plant its not looking too happy, leafs pointing down, and burn area :<! How many hours of light are they getting?, I dont think its stress what is troubling her!

If you are getting a closet, I would suggest using it for Flowering, and make yourself a little area to veg the clones and the mother, that way, you can make a perpetual cicle! Haversting every time you put plants into the tent to flower.

Cheers bro, keep on giving them love.:thumb:

i do not believe it is light stress from another compact florescent light bulb that is causing the damaged areas on your plant. what is the temperature where you have your plants? is that the only plant that is exhibiting symptoms?

It verges between about 68* and 78* (night/day). Everyone seemed to freak a little when I added that light. It's magnitudes brighter than the cheapie fluros, but they seemed to level out. This is the one I repotted to place roots into res and found they were bound in the peat starter cube from my garden I used to start these seeds. So I freed the roots as gently as I could and repotted. I think it's major stress and root damage. I flushed heavily earlier just to be sure and moved it a little out from the light.

What have I learned?

1) Peat pellets are not good for starting seeds if they're gonne go hydro and not soil --- Lesson learned, no more peat pellet pot

2) Plant roots close to or into hempy res --- will do so going forward

3) If I veg plants on desk again after this, make shorter hempys or use another short height passive hydro system and get a light fixture I can mount horizontally, or that at least has a shorter mounting point so it's higher (plan to make a small, adjustable cfl reflector for this)

On the good side, all the plants in the closet have pistils shooting out, even the runts that were slow to grow and show :)

you can use clay pellets, but make sure you let them soak for a whole day and night in water, to wash them!. Plants will fight for their lifes, as that is what they do! Always try to give us their best to make us happy! Sit with your plant, look at them, feel them, if you hear closely you can tell how your plants are doing :)))))) keep it up bro!

Sinsemillas, I actually meant the little peat pellets you use to start seeds for outdoor gardening. That's what I had available when I popped those seeds and several were horribly rootbound. I do use the expanded clay balls (hydroton) in the one hydro unit. Seems to work ok for that kind of system, but yeah, they do collect salt easily. Definitely good washing is needed for those between uses.

Pics updates from today:

Rearranged the seedlings a bit:
seelings-06182013.jpg

And the Ladybug Hempy Clones:
ladybug-clones-06182013.jpg

and the sickly lil seedling who was all rootbound in that damned starter pellet. I noticed while babying and checking, the new growth at the nodes was still going, so I trimmed the worst affected fan leaves half way today to see how it does. I'll remove them the rest of the way later if needed. 2 of the top leaves were actually crispy:
sick-seedling-06182013.jpg

The jury rigged cloner. The back one in this pic didn't make it. I checked her right after the pic and stem was collapsed. I didn't think any of these would make it as they were all tiny cuts from bottom nodes or sickly branches to start with. But the one is doing well and the other... hmmm, we'll see. I think it's too small a cut, but it doesn't hurt to try.
cloner-06182013-2.jpg

I'm fairly sure if I switch this to collars, it will work better. We'll see if I have the $$ left over for some after buying lights and a few other needed items.

All of the plants in the Em Garden system are now shooting pistils. They also drank 120 oz overnight, literally from lights out until lights on today. I was kind of psyched because even with the new growth, I haven't had to top the res or adjust nutes for 2 days, then bam, 120 oz gone and ppm 400+ down.
EmGarden-06182013-1.jpg

And a canopy shot:
Canopy-06182013.jpg

Now for some naughty pics, young girls, lol:

pistils-06182013-4.jpg

pistils-06182013-2.jpg

pistils-06182013-3.jpg

pistils-06182013-1.jpg

aaaand ... veggies, lol:
veggies-06182013-2.jpg

These will be our indoor veggies/hydro-veggie experiment :) loves us some fresh salads, lol.

Hopefully tomorrow will bring some needed supplies and the next few days should be productive. I really want to get more light on the girls in the closet since they're all flowering. I also need some filtering cause they're pretty and while I don't mind the fragrance, they is getting stinky and my landlord lives on the property and doesn't want her 16yo daughter getting too curious, sooooooo, DIY carbon filter this week as well, lol.

im about 100%sure its not light causing that plant to do that unless its actually touching it, if its staying below 80-85f its prob not heat stress, that leaves nutes,def or toxicty, or ph, im leaning towards ph, do you have more than 1 way to check ph? i have 3 2 pens and strips, a meter can slip and things go south, pearlite and hydroton are not a forgiving as coco,(coco has a bit of a buffer effect, anyway i would flush and refeed at half strength, how are you set for calmag? tap or ro water?

Thanks BID... I was wondering about disolving a b complex in water... good to know it works, will dig for mine in a bit... reps for that tip :). Shopping is done for the month... I went a little over budget, but ended up finding rapid rooters and a $40 PH pen which is good because my PH is lower than I thought from tap based on the test liquid, at least today. Also got a brick of cocotek and it's soaking now.

Be back later if our net is still up, lots of garden work to do tonight.

Thanks beemerbill, that's nice to hear. I do baby them as much as I can as I slowly build things out. Pics coming in a few if I can keep my internet connection. My fibro reached out to slap me while I was updating the grow room, but I got a lot done and everything done "enough" to pick up on the rest tomorrow. I got the McGuyver'd cfl light built and a temporary DIY tent vent fan and carbon filter put in. I also got the seedlings on a timer now and placed into GLR instead of 24/7 and I have a block of cocotek soaking in a big steralite tub in the bathtub overnight. And weird as it is, I'm psyched that I finally found rapid rooters, lol... and I broke down and bought a ph pen, which is good and bad. The liquid test had been a bit off and my ph was running lower than it seemed, which might explain the times when growth has been a little more "spurty" and less consistant, at least with the runts, but part of that is likely also the fact that the runts were all sick clones to start with.

Pics soon :)

Well, apparently my liquid PH test is very "rough", lol. Having a PH pen now makes a huge difference. Seems my PH was 4.9 today in the DWC and 5.3/5.4 out of the tap, even after adding nutes. So, everything got adjusted and the hempys all got a nice flush, lol.

I got the cobbled together CFL lighting done as well as a cobbled together exhaust and carbon filter. I also reinforced the front edges of the "closet/tent" in case I have to boost the exhaust fan which would make the negative pressure enough to draw the "flaps" inward. Right now there's just enough "breathing space" for the fan to draw air in, but it's not enough pressure that weighting down the edge of the tent flap at the floor still holds it in place.

Hey BID, how long should I let the coco soak? and should I drain it if it's "soupy" tomorrow or just mix in the perlite? Not sure how the heck I'm gonna drain a 27L pearlite tub though, lol.

Ok, here's the pics as promised.

DIY hood/cfl lamp:
IMG_20130619_223054.jpg

IMG_20130619_222837.jpg

DIY exhaust fan (this was the litter fan I had in the tent, it got replaced):
IMG_20130619_222907.jpg

DIY Carbon filter (2 liter, slots cut along length, taped for light proofing and creating seal. I put 2 layers of carbon filter over slots outside, then took 2 more and filled the inside with activated carbon and put inside, then taped seal to bottom of the fan):
IMG_20130619_222849.jpg

A shot of the EmFarm DWC plants:
IMG_20130619_222828.jpg

And the seedlings and clones:
IMG_20130619_222951.jpg

IMG_20130619_222929.jpg

IMG_20130619_222924.jpg

And a little underage buds :)
IMG_20130619_223117.jpg

IMG_20130619_223117.jpg

IMG_20130619_223122.jpg

IMG_20130619_223133.jpg

Well, that's about it for tonight. Tomorrow I'll finish up anything outstanding and treat the veggie garden again. Apparently spider mites have moved in on one of my strawberry plants, so time for some horticultural oil, neem to follow if needed.

Back
Top Bottom