1st Grow & Journal

I'm trying to get some bag seeds to pop. Soaked for a day. Now in paper towels. The suspense is killing me. Soaked 4. I'm hoping for at least 2. They are mostly dark except one is pale in color.....you could go old school and strap it on top of the SUV. Maybe
Put some hydrogen peroxide in with the water, kills germs and gives oxygen to the seeds for faster sprouting. Works great for me!

As for the insane seed prices, grow a male once and pollinate a female - hundreds of free seeds!

12/29 - Got home from work, humidifier ran dry and leaves were drooping. Checked and plants drank all their water from yesterday, didnt think they would get thirsty this quick but they did.

Mixed up 4 cups of nutrients and fed the little guys, lights will be going out in a couple hours so they will get to drink in all that yummy goodness and be ready for tomorrows purple sunshine.

For their first feed I went by GO's 'Rooted Seedling Feed' and used the optional Bio Marine & Diamond Black, the mixtures PH was 6.3/6.4 with their small 4" pots they took up almost 2 cups between the two.

I hope they like the food and perk up and reach for that 'sun'.

I think i missed the medium... organic soil? are you using the lift method or just watering on a set schedule?
lift method....

Even after I watered my one baby looks droopy...
received_2181012212151101-1.jpg

I am centering in on watering or something with the roots, because I don't believe it is pH at this point since N is mobile across such a wide range of pH...
They really have not needed water too often...I keep a pretty close eye on them, when they did I watered...This time they sucked through it waaaay faster then expected so they caught me off guard n i was at work.

the first two leaves of each were damaged one due to seed stickin and other due to too low humidity when they came up....they would not grow correctly and i assumed it harder on plant to feed those leaves which most likely were not performing their duties to their fullest.

the first two leaves of each were damaged one due to seed stickin and other due to too low humidity when they came up....they would not grow correctly and i assumed it harder on plant to feed those leaves which most likely were not performing their duties to their fullest.
I'm not convinced that humidity has a lot to do with problem leaves and as an experiment I have been running in the typical winter humidity here on this run, at about 14%... and the girls are doing fine. Just today I filled up a vaporizer to get the RH up to see if I can tell a difference. Hard to say why you lost the leaves now, but it would have been good to keep them just to be able to help in diagnosis at this point. There are other advantages to keeping them, even damaged a little, because these are the storehouses for the plant. Keeping them there was not a hardship to the plant, to the contrary, they were a buffer in case of deficiency.
At any rate, I bet when you pull them out of these containers you are going to see some wrapped up roots... get some fresh soil under them and they will spring to life again and get back on a regular wet/dry cycle.

I'm not convinced that humidity has a lot to do with problem leaves and as an experiment I have been running in the typical winter humidity here on this run, at about 14%... and the girls are doing fine. Just today I filled up a vaporizer to get the RH up to see if I can tell a difference. Hard to say why you lost the leaves now, but it would have been good to keep them just to be able to help in diagnosis at this point. There are other advantages to keeping them, even damaged a little, because these are the storehouses for the plant. Keeping them there was not a hardship to the plant, to the contrary, they were a buffer in case of deficiency.
At any rate, I bet when you pull them out of these containers you are going to see some wrapped up roots... get some fresh soil under them and they will spring to life again and get back on a regular wet/dry cycle.
ok, i did notice them really start growing with humidity up at 60-70%, was at 18-24% before... I will check them for being routbound, does sound like a possibilty. Thx

Update

12/30/18

I figured since I needed to check for plants being root bound I may as well just prepare my soil and do a transplant so I soaked my soil I had, it's been laying around since my last hot pepper grow so it was dry and clumpy. So I prepared my 6.5" pots and it does seem my plants roots were root bound. I have seen worse but they were twisted around the bottom and had spread out quite a bit throughout the soil. At this time I added no nutrients since I just did yesterday, just the moistened soil. We will see if they perk up since I am guessing the soil was not holding enough water for those roots, it seems the roots of these plants grow very fast compared to the plant size itself.

Keep your fingers crossed, mine are.....

(I would have taken pictures but hands were dirty and wanted to make this as quick and pain free as possible for the babies)

good luck on the transplant... You waited very long to uppot. should have been done last week. I did mine in 3 weeks and they loved more space to grow roots

12/31

Prognosis not good......

They are both wilting, it looks like maybe I waited too long to up pot and fed them too much (7ph) tap water prior too, which possibly flushed out the soil nutrients enough so it may have locked out some nutrients they wanted that were left, so all they had was a little water in the not so nutritious substrate. I really dont see that being the issue honestly, unless this soil which wasn't 100% fresh in the beginning had lost it's vitality from sitting unused in an opened bag (used some for something else prior)....

I bought a cool mist humidifier instead of my warm mist which wasnt working well (old), figured it may help with moisture absorption if roots weren't getting what they needed for moisture since I thought it was only underwatering I was dealing with.

Feeling the soil, it's not overly wet, it's not dry, its not compacted, I just dont know.... I may have to go to store and get a moisture meter, a different soil ph meter and some fresh soil....

I will not be repotting these, I think that would be way too much stress so I will let them do their thing and if they die, I will just start fresh with a new batch and test my luck again....

Stay tuned

From my experience uppoting isn't stress to the plant. At this early stage rH is not an issue if you are watering properly adjusting according to rH. During my vegging rH was around 40-50 sometimes even lower but I used to cover that up with watering and foilar spray water

I had a similar issue in early flower when the roots blocked the opening in the pot and water was not getting out. Figured out much later and uppoting them and after a week they look like they will recover

Attachments

• mmexport1546262152698.jpg
    mmexport1546262152698.jpg
    403.1 KB · Views: 54
  • mmexport1546262264419.jpg
    mmexport1546262264419.jpg
    455.7 KB · Views: 56
From my experience uppoting isn't stress to the plant. At this early stage rH is not an issue if you are watering properly adjusting according to rH. During my vegging rH was around 40-50 sometimes even lower but I used to cover that up with watering and foilar spray water
With humidifier on humidity is 45-48, with it off it drops

Back
Top Bottom