1st Tent For A BAG

Bad news first.

Looks like the patio DQ is developing some bud rot. Found several spots yesterday evening. Picked off what I could. Going out this morning and have a look. If it's bad, I don't know. Might have to do the chop early. She should have another 2 1/2 to 3 weeks to go. But I can't let the cooler temps at night screw up the harvest from this plant.

Now the good news...

The entire patio stinks like a dead skunk. It's almost overwhelming. It's that Dream Queen. Man, is she ever stinky!

And the first Infinite Euphoria is curing up real nice. Had a small taste yesterday. It's beginning to develop that sweet, top-shelf aroma. Another week or two, and it'll be mighty tasty!

Going to visit my very dear friends, Boosh and Happy Kitty today. Very much looking forward to seeing them and sharing some of my harvest. Gift a taste of the IE to my sweet Happy Kitty and her hubby! :circle-of-love:

It's :party: time!!! :peace:

Went out and performed some surgery on the Dream Queen this morning. Cut out everything that even looked suspicious. Unfortunately, I did have to cut out some nice nugs. But I cleaned them up, manicured 'em, and gonna let 'em dry. I'll watch 'em for mold.

Then I went in for some MAJOR defoliation action. She needed it.

I really don't want to harvest that plant early. The buds are just beginning to really bulk up. And it smells so good out there.

Then I washed my hands, and did some defoliation and inspection of the Infinite Euphoria. She's looking good. I see no sign of fungus. Did a little snip-and-trim on the smaller potted plants, too.

That's what I've been reading. Not enough air flow. But that doesn't make sense. They're out on the patio. It's breezy out there. Very breezy. Sometimes down right windy.

Ah well... I cut what had to be cut, and now I wait and inspect, every day.

Had a ball with friends yesterday. Happy Kitty sends regards to all her good friends at :420:

Here we go again...

I hope this pic can be seen. Went out this morning and found two more spots. Some kind of bud rot. Parts of the bud begin to turn brown/grey, and look soft. Pulls right out. Nasty. Rotting my plant! ARRRGH!!!

DSCN0201_1.jpg

DSCN0200_1.jpg

I did a big time defoliation on both plants yesterday. Cut off a big pile of leaves.

DSCN02039.JPG

Trimmed the IE, too.

DSCN020517.JPG

Frustration level increase. I need to burn one and mellow out, before I get pissed.

Your only solution CJ is to isolate the buds with the Botrytis (bud rot) with a plastic bag and lop off the infected bud at the stem.. make sure you disinfect your scissors each time so you dont spread the spores.

trying to cut away the rotted parts is ineffective because the spores are infact in the middle of the bud near the stem, so removal of the entire bud is necessary.

I'm sorry to hear you experiencing one of the hardest things to deal with, having to cut away buds you could have smoked if they didn't rot!!

You think I need to bag it before the surgery? I've been cutting off the buds that have the rot right at the stem. Leaves big gaps in the forming colas.

Murphy again. For some reason, he just loves kicking my ass.

If there's much more rot on it again this morning, I think I might just chop it.

This is the kind of thing that puts people off growing.

Yes i do, that way no spores can leach onto nearby buds and infect that.. Bud rot can ruin an entire crop in days, thats how fast the spores spread.

Cutting out the rotten parts isn't even a bandaid fix, you are still leaving all the Botrytis in the centre of the bud, and it will continue to infect the rest of the plant.

If you wanna get a fix to your solution, get a DWC going, or do a recirculating top feed.. both in Rockwool, in your tent! This way you can manage the environment much better.

The DWC is very easy. Just make sure you pick up some Aquashield and use that in the water reservoir and have a good air pump (Gen Hydro's Dual Diaphragm air pump is a beast, i own one!! 320gph!) to keep the water aerated!! If summer temps get too high, you have all winter to save for a water chiller too if you go hydroponics!!

The other method i would suggest is a bit of work to set up (hardly any work at all) but you can safely leave it for a couple days and not worry about the plant dying because the power went out or something.
You will need one of these:
GEDC01725.JPG

GEDC01714.JPG

Just one per plant. For the plants you will need one of these pots:
GEDC01736.JPG

These are super Roots air pots. They air prune the roots as they poke out the nipples and it signals to the plant to shoot out more roots, thus creating a plant that grows much more rapidly, as well as they prevent root circling.

In the totes you will have a water pump thats attached to hosing that runs water up to a drip ring that you can buy off Scamazon, or you can build your own with PVC (like i am doing) to irrigate the rockwool 2-4 times a day on a timers.

Ignore the second tote and that garbage can in my pictures.. thats the base of my Monster RDWC that i'm building tomorrow! I'm going to start a journal documenting the build

Well, it's pretty bad. Found three more spots of rot, one on a top cola.

So I grabbed the scissors, cut out the rotted portions, and just kept on stripping.

Chop-chop.

It is a shame, cuz those buds were really beginning to bulk up. I'll get a few ounces from the plant, some of the buds are really nice. And the aroma!!! But they aren't the size of my wrist, like they could have been, left to go another two weeks.

Oh, well. Doody happens. Then you clean up the mess, and try again. Hopefully, we learn from the mistakes, and do not repeat them.

More to do. Been out there trimming and manicuring for two hours. Got two more to go, and it's already getting hot. Weatherman says 99°F today, that means 107°F out on the patio...

I'll investigate the hydro options. But investment capital is quite low, and isn't expected to increase any time in the very near future. First on the investment list is a 6" centrifugal fan, cuz I already have an air-cooled HID that has to go into the tent in about two months.

Well, I got a taste under three ounces off the patio DQ. Tasty. There's still another half ounce there, still in the pot. I didn't chop the entire plant. Might finish it off this week, tho. What's there is looking mighty ripe.

Went out the other day and did some defoliating n the IE's. Accidentally broke a tiny piece of bud, and left it out to dry. Tastes good.

The Infinite Euphorias out on the patio are looking good. Colas are filling in, building mass. Sprayed the white flies with some insecticidal soap. They didn't like that. Damn things.

DSCN0209_1.jpg

DSCN020712.JPG

These are going to be my November meds. Got that treatment coming up, and I intend to spend the time baked off my ass. Roll another one. :lot-o-toke:

In the mean time, we're still enjoying the Green Ribbon and the Dream Queen.

Sure is nice to grow ur own meds. :peace:

Hey there, GT,

Yeah, I'm still waking up alive. That's always a step in the right direction.

Went and saw a good friend's grow last week. He's got a Ken's GDP and a Pineapple Kush that both made my mouth water. That stuff is going to be delicious.

As for mine, I am pretty happy with it. I've decided I don't care that much for the Green Ribbon, and won't be growing that strain again. But I do like the Infinite Euphoria. A lot. Very tasty. Sweet and pungent couch glue. Please pass the Oreos.

Had a lookie-see in the tent this morning, and it's time to go get some more rockwool blocks and take some cuttings. I've got 4 IE mothers in there that got FIM'd and transplanted, boy were they ever root-bound, and are now going ape-shit in there under the 6400K fluorescents on 18/6. There may be enough shubbery in there to take enough cuttings for a SOG. 15 cuttings into 6" pots under 18/6 for two or three weeks, just enough to get the root system going, and switch to 12/12 with a 400W HPS.

Or a ScrOG. 4 clones, make a screen, and FIM and LST the shit out of 'em. Longer veg period.

The SOG will be faster, and should harvest in Feb. I think that'll work best for me.

Until I can get another tent.

>>> Or a ScrOG. 4 clones.

Good idea. less plants is better. 2 month veg period with good training will get you plants that are large enough to pull in 1/2lb each plant.

>>> FIM and LST the shit out of 'em. Longer veg period

Longer veg period, yes. 2 months at least. FIM... 95% of people cant FIM properly, so they actually are "tipping" their plant, which is just removing the terminal shoot. Topping is when you take any amount off the top of the plant, or a branch. Tipping is just removing the lead shoot, which people can mistake for a FIM.

I'm glad you are satisfied with your harvest. nothing worse than putting in all that effort just to be disappointed, you know?

Agreed. One problem, tho. Not enuf room in this tent. It's only 48" tall. Take away a foot for the hood, a foot for the pots, and additional room for the stems to bend, I'm left with about 8" for the scrog. Not practical. I need a bigger tent, that's all there is to it.

Heading to the hydro store to pick up some RW today. Need to take the cuttings. Those IE mothers in the tent are growing like weeds.

Everything out on the patio is no longer on the patio. It's been chopped, and is either hanging, or in jars. Mostly Infinite Euphoria, a little DQ, and one small GR. Got me some meds for next month's fun following the visits to the hospital. Oh joy. The good news is I only have two more series to go, then I'm down to annual inspections. Those aren't fun, but at least when they're over, they're over. They don't last 5 weeks. Long as they keep finding nothing, all is well.

The better news is I'll be baked off my ass, cuz that IE is mighty tasty, and quite stoney, and I'm stashing a jar of it. :tokin:

Well...

Spider mites.

Big time.

As in... Total loss. I'm not going to deal with it. I'm going to toss everything, sterilize the tent and everything in it inside and out, and start anew, with fresh clones from a provider, and fresh potting materials.

I'll start a new thread then.

thats awful to hear CJ!!

I hope you get everything cleaned up and growing again soon.

Please PM me a link when you have a new journal.

If this one is done, report it to a moderator (by pressing the "report Post" link at bottom of a post), who will then move it to completed journals section.

Hope everything is well with you my friend!

Thanks for sharing your grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please feel free to start a new journal here: Journals in Progress

In the future, whenever you complete a journal, please use the Report Post feature found at the bottom left of every post, so we can be alerted to move it for you.

Hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom