1st Time Grower - Organic Supersoil Journal: Guru Advice Welcome!

Brads420

Hey Everyone!
:welcome: to my 1st grow ever. Thanks for taking a look. I am open to any advice as I am new to all of this.

Currently my super soil is cooking. Take a look at what I have put together and let me know what you think. I found this mix on a few websites so I’m not sure who to thank for it. Its not an exact replica of the original recipe, but its what I could come up with what I could get my hands on.

The seedlings after germination will be placed in their pot they will be in from start to finish. The soil will be set up as follows: Top 3 ½” layer of plain organic potting mix, 2nd 3 ½” layer of mixed starter soil, the rest will be the filled with the super soil mix.

Starter soil mixed: 3/23/14

• 2lbs potting mix
• 2lbs mushroom compost
• 1oz bat guano
• Pinch of DE
• 1oz Kelp
• 4oz worm casting
• 3oz perlite

Super Soil mixed: 3/23/14

• 22lbs Nature’s Way organic potting mix(
• 12lbs Sublime Farms organic Mushroom compost(
• 120oz worm castings
• 280g(10oz) blood meal (12-0-0)(
• 280g bone meal (6-8-0)(
• 428g (15oz) bat guano (0-10-0)(
• 1oz(1/8cup) lime(
• 1oz(1/8cup) azomite(
• 1 tbsp. humic acid(
• 2.5lbs organic perlite
• 280g organic kelp
• 1 tbsp. quartz dust
• 2 tbsp. organic DE
• 11 liters spring water
• 1oz Mycorrhiza fungi added 4/2/14

Grow Box: built 2/2014

I built this grow box out of an old TV cabinet I found. I converted it to a 38"22"x58" closet. I installed a Mars II 900w LED from top led, a mini 7 1/2" oscillating fan and a 4" hurricane exhaust fan w/ 8x16"carbon filter kit from growtents.com, and a 4' LED tri band full spectrum strip light for a side light. I cut a 20"x12" hole at the bottom and installed a HEPA a/c air filter to filter incoming air. I have a digital temp and humidity gauge I picked up at a local pet store. I had a bit of a temperature issue so I modified the LED so that I could vent the heat from it right out of box. The current temps are a high of 85F and a low of 74F with humidity ranging from 40%-70%. I know the temp is still a little high, I still have to drop an A/C duct from the ceiling behind the box which should help drop it a couple degrees.

I will wait to germinate the seeds until the super soil is finished cooking. So For now please critique what I have and let me know what other info you need to give me help to grow some banging 1st timer organic green!!!! Thanks for stopping by and I hope you check back later when I get this journal in FULL GROW.

The strains I will be growing are:

Strains:

*(G13 Labs) Blue OG feminized -1 seed-
Product Information-Blue OG

• A cross between a Blueberry F3, Blue Moonshine and a potent Kush/Thai Indica hybrid that has achieved truly legendary status in the USA; OG Kush.
• Its short, very compact stature and very vigorous growth stage make it perfectly adaptable to any size grow room and growing method.
• High resin production begins a few weeks after the start of flowering and, when dried properly, the buds acquire a delicious red berry taste with citrusy hints. This makes it one of the best strains for hash and oil extraction as the results are abundant and the taste and aroma, sublime.
• At almost never more than 8 weeks, flowering is quick, making it also highly suited for outdoor growing in climes that require early cropping.
• Type: Mostly Indica
Flowering: Photoperiod
Height: Medium
Area: Indoor & Outdoor
Genetics: Blue Moonshine x OG Kush

*(Paradise) Jacky White feminized -1 seed-

Product Information-Jacky White

• For a remarkable indoor harvest of up to 600g per square meter under a 600-watt high-pressure sodium light you won’t do better than Jacky White.
The hardiness also means an even better yield when grown outside as you would expect but you must have a moderate to sunny climate.
Jacky White is a Sativa dominant hybrid which means that she grows like a Sativa although she has also retained the best of the Indica’s virtues including a fast finish and an easy to grow plant. This ancestry also means that Jacky White will give you a Sativa stone mixed with a bit of Indica to smooth out the speed of a pure Sativa high – lucid and cerebral with a lovely body buzz, the stone lasts.
Stability, high yield, fast finish and stability are all great attributed belonging to Jacky White and when the plants grow you will find that there are only slight variations amongst them. The plants also like to branch so will do best in a set up that allows for extra space for side branch development. You can also try bending or pruning to increase the yield and for the full flowering time Jacky White will give off a scent of grapefruit so that’s sixty days of scent plus loads of stocky colas that glitterwith resin. Add to all that the luxurious haze-citrus taste and there’s nothing more you could add to this wonderful smoke.
• Type: Sativa/Indica (75/25)
Flowering time: 60 days indoors. Outdoors, middle of October (n.L.)
Yield: 500+ grams per m2 indoors. Outdoors 600+ grams per plant
Environment: Indoors. Outdoors between 50 n.L. and 50 s.L.
Effect /Buzz: Soft cerebral pleasant
Smell/Taste: Grapefruit
THC: 15-18%

Both were purchased from The Single Seed Center

*The Purps feminized -3 seeds

First Place Strain Of The Year and a Perennial BC Bud Depot Cannabis Cup
Product Information-The Purps:
Product Information
Name: BC Bud Depot - The Purps ♀ ✯
Genetics: Sativa / Indica Hybrid
Specifics: Mendo Purps IBL
Flavour: Tantalizing grape taste
Flowering Time: Indoor: 7-8 weeks / Outdoor: Late-September

Re: 1st time grower: Organic supersoil Journal: Guru help welcomed

Very niice brother! I'm on my first grow as well but I'm one of those terrible MG stories lol...I'm no guru but I'd love to follow your grow, especially if you plan on being this detailed throughout. I didn't find this site until after my trial and error periods so I plan on journaling a much more detailed grow next run. I'm currently in week 3 of flower, 21 days today actually, and she looks great! I have some pics in my gallery if you want to check her out.

I joined a few days ago and have had nothing but great help from some awesome people...I'll figure out how to post a link to this thread on mine...or feel free to jump in on mine bro

Thanks, I plan on being as detailed as I can. I have actually been growing 5 plants for about a month and half to 2 months . They are some bag seeds from some REGs. They have been my test dummies throughout the box set up and what not. I just flipped them to 12/12. They are only about 10"-14" right now. but I just wanted to get a quick flower cycle in before my soil is done cooking. I used these as a quick crash course in growing just to give me an idea of what to expect, plus I played around with fimming and topping and got to perfect my soil for the real grow.

send me a link to your journal and Ill sub.

Nice intro. Nice to have you here on 420mag.

Heres 2 pics of the grow room setup:
photo_2383.JPG

photo_1445.JPG

Hers some pics of the test ladies(bag seeds from some regs/zonas) I have been playing with while I wait for my soil to cook and seeds to arrive. They are currently in 12/12. I know they are small to put into flower but I wanted get a quick round of growing under my belt just to have an idea about what is going on.
photo_3314.JPG

photo_4251.JPG

photo_5173.JPG

Niice set up bro!:goodjob::thumb: They look very good, and don't be fooled by height alone. You have a fair amount of potential bud sites there assuming they are all female of course. I'll pray to the Ganja Gods for you so that you may have many beautiful females!!

I do have both a question and suggestion...

Suggestion= Put the smaller plants on the side of the box where the light is at the bottom corner. This way they get a little bit more light. In the pic you have, they are going to stretch towards that light a long distance whereas the others are already taller but don't have to stretch as far. Just switch em around or flip the light if easier. Optimally you'd like uniform height, so if you could raise the pots so the tops of the plants are all about level, and if you level the back light horizontally you'll get much better light penetration and coverage for your nuggets : )....maybe just a block of 2x4 or something alike, big enough to stabilize but still leaving the runoff holes free to drain...

Then the question...is that aluminum foil? If it is, I would highly recommend taking that out of there and painting the inside flat white or getting some white plastic instead. You can get away with it in veg in some cases but in flower it WILL create hot spots from the wrinkles in the foil, and you'll notice it at some point on your beautiful frosty flowers...and we can't have that bro :circle-of-love::Namaste:

Hey brad i am considering getting the Mars II 900w for my 4'x2'x7' grow tent, what is your opinion on it? have you tested the actual wattage of the light? also i was considering getting a supplemental 400watt air cooled mh/hps kit, do you think i would need that? or is the 900w good enough?

Hey Lucky, Thanks. Yea I rotate them around inside the box regularly. I'll have to try that raising idea. I plan on putting the LED strip diagonally from front to back facing upwards underneath the plants. That wont work with these cause they are so short. The strip was bigger than I thought so it doesn't fit straight across.

yes it is foil. I know bad rookie mistake. planning on ordering some mylar to cover it up with.

Hey AC. Im no expert on LEDs but from what I have used it for so far it has worked great. I have not measured anything. I think the 400 hps would be over kill IMO.

Ok so I never kept up with this journal. But I did finish the grow. had some fungus gnat problems along the way. Also had some temp issues in the grow room. Flowers ended up fox tailing a little bit and were fluffy and not dense. I ended up with 19 grams from plants after drying/curing. didnt have too strong of an odor.
But it smoked good and gave a me a good body high. had no idea of the strain because it was from some bagseeds.

photo_5173.JPG

20140614_171236.jpg

20140614_171148.jpg

All in all it has been a good experience and I learned a lot that I plan on carrying over to my next grow. come check it out at:
Organic Super Soil - LED Grow
Hope to see you there. and thanks for any help I received along the way.

Thanks for sharing your grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please feel free to start a new journal here:
Journals in Progress

In the future, whenever you complete a journal, please use the Report Post feature found at the bottom left of every post, so we can be alerted to move it for you.

Hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom