Mythbusters

Keith Lake

420 Emeritus
420 Staff
This thread is to hold the ideas and suggestions of any wivestales, black magic beliefs, or group think ;)

Hopefully during the course of our lifetimes we can pick away at these opinions and find out which are true and which are not.

Please post your thoughts :blunt:

1) Does LST increase yield?
2) Can you tell the sex of a seed to any degree of certainty?
3) Luxury nutrition - true or false?
4) does 24 hr of dark time before harvest produce more potent buds?
5) does cutting off fan leaves hurt yield?

Re: 420 Consumer Reports - Mythbusters

Wow, that was fast, thank you Soniq ;).

6) Is MG potting soil and/or MG Organic potting soil the devil?
7) Do plants need 1 gallon of soil per each foot of growth?
8) Do airpots and/or fabric pots make a difference?
9) Is growing more plants 12/12 from seed more efficient than fewer plants at 18/6?
10) Does vegging plants at 24/0 produce 25-40% more growth than at 18/6?
11) Given the same volume, does marijuana grow better in taller rather than squatter containers?
12) Does it produce more yield to LST early in veg or later in veg?
13) Does girdling have any effect on yield?
14) Is it better to have the circulation and/or exhaust fans on or off during the dark period?

I'll try to tackle one that is self evident:

9) Is growing more plants 12/12 from seed more efficient than fewer plants at 18/6?

If we define efficiency as grams per watt, I'd have to say 12/12 is more efficient, simply because the morphological shape of cypress-like single cola plants, densely planted means more plants per given area.

Under my 1000 watt light, I can fit maybe 8 vegged plants. Let's say I get 2 oz per plant under those circumstances for a pound.

Under the same light I can fit 16-20 12/12 plants. Let's say I get 1.2 ounces per plant....for a total of 21.2 ounces from 16 plants....more from a larger number.

Keep in mind that the 12/12 grow might finish a week or two earlier than the traditional grow, in addition to using 6 hours less of electricity for the first few weeks.

If we factor in the costs of seeds and look at a 12/12 grow from a cost efficiency stand point, it might not be the best option.

Also, there is the legal aspect to consider. Some people are only allowed to grow a few plants. In that case, it is obvious that those few plants need to be as large as possible. 12/12 is not a good option in that case.

So, in my opinion, this isn't really a myth....it's more of a style choice.

The only myth associated with this topic is the idea that 12.12 plants have poor yield. That simply isn't true. I grew some very nice 12/12 plants on my last grow! The key is doing it from seed, not clones.

What is we define efficiency as gram/watt/hour? On an annualized basis the 18/6 allows several extra harvests per year ;)

I'd like to add to the list to solve a recent debate:

From information gleamed from marijuana books, Uncle Ben, and several other successful long-time growers, I've learned that 20/4 lighting during veg produces better yields, or yields equal to 24/0 veg grows.

On the other side of the debate is the myth that 24/7 veg is superior...I say a myth because I've seen no evidence from a successful grower to back up the claim. So,

Is 24/0 lighting superior to 20/4 lighting during veg grows?

hers one i want to know for sure?

SS you can handle this one. Do leds grow more potent buds then HID?

All I can say right now is that LED's grow potent bud, but I haven't yet had the opportunity to directly compare buds from the same strain grown with both.

The VK I grew with the LED's on the previous grow just keeps tasting better, and potency is real good. It was 2-hitter quitter until I got some strain tolerance, which took longer than usual to happen.

Yep, hopefully, I'll be able to comment on the LED/HID buds after the PPP grow is done ;)

Good one Irish!

This thread is to hold the ideas and suggestions of any wivestales, black magic beliefs, or group think ;)

Hopefully during the course of our lifetimes we can pick away at these opinions and find out which are true and which are not.

Please post your thoughts :blunt:

1) Does LST increase yield?
2) Can you tell the sex of a seed to any degree of certainty?
3) Luxury nutrition - true or false?
4) does 24 hr of dark time before harvest produce more potent buds?
5) does cutting off fan leaves hurt yield?

Wow, that was fast, thank you Soniq ;).

6) Is MG potting soil and/or MG Organic potting soil the devil?
7) Do plants need 1 gallon of soil per each foot of growth?
8) Do airpots and/or fabric pots make a difference?
10) Does vegging plants at 24/0 produce 25-40% more growth than at 18/6?
11) Given the same volume, does marijuana grow better in taller rather than squatter containers?
12) Does it produce more yield to LST early in veg or later in veg?
13) Does girdling have any effect on yield?
14) Is it better to have the circulation and/or exhaust fans on or off during the dark period?

This classifed info has been released by the highest authority. :cheesygrinsmiley:

1. IDK but I do know that DSL increases my speed
2. Yes. Hold the seed up to candle light and you'll be able to see a M or F on the inside of the seed
3. True. Pimpin' aint ez
4. That only works if the plant had 24 hrs of dark between veg and bloom and it was vegged under 24/7 lighting.
5. Plants need leaves?
6. Yes. The 666 engraved in the perlite is a dead give away
7. I prefer the half gallon per 6" or two gallons to 24" ratio but whatever works is cool
8. Yes. Especially on the pocket book
9. Yes but only when growing 420 plants or more.
10. Yes. It's more like 24-39% but who's counting
11. Yes. why more growers dont use pieces of 2' long 4" sewer pipe is beyond me.
12. Early. I like to start the LST on the tap root during germination.
13. IDK about yield but it helps keep the belly tucked in
14. On. Not for ventilation but because spider mites hate fan noise. It's like fingernails on a chalkboard for them and it makes the male mites impotent.

:tokin:

I received a PM from a guy I really respect that made me rethink the female seed predictability a bit. I'd still love to do a controlled experiment w/double blind but I've changed my thinking from 95/5 to 50/50 ;)

Care to elaborate on this mysterious change of heart a little?

I'm going to address this myth combined with the MG soil myth into one grow, so I'm curious.

Would the double-blind involve selecting some seeds blindfolded?

I think it would be more statistically significant to select a group that should be female according to that article, and then select a group that should be male.

I'm no statistician, but wouldn't that provide more proof one way or the other?

I grew with MG soil, never had a single issue with it.

DSC029551.JPG

This is my harvest from 2 plants, one hermi and one female

Dsc02895sm.jpg

This is what they looked like before I harvested. Not a single yellow leaf.

That being said, I babied the hell out of these plants.

I don't know why I used the term double blind - the seed can't know who's planting it ;) It's single blind definitionally.

I'll be sorry tomorrow when this bugs me enough to pull out a stats book and correct myself.

I think you'd need a sample size of 30 unless we expect the expert to be 100% correct then we could go with something smaller like 8.

A criteria for selection would be defined (the rounded end theory for example). We're talking about regular seeds and we'd have to make sure they were for the validity

The expert would select n=30 (or N=8) predictive "female" seeds from as many seeds as they needed to screen to find them. A few confirming opinions (that the criteria was met) would be a good idea since it's not a quickly executed experiment.

This is a binomial distribution so it's P^N where P or probability is 50% (either male or female - we'll call hermi's faults and exclude them for the purpose of discussion) and N is the number of seeds planted.

If we expect 100% females and use 8 seeds, there's .4% chance of this occurring naturally. So if it happens it's proved enough for me, but a stickler might want to do this 2 or 3 times to really beat it to death ;) if we increase the seeds planted to 10 the odds of getting all females drop to .01%

If we did N=30, and got them all right it wouldn't be worth calculating it would be so proved ;) The advantage of doing this many would be if we went something like 25 and 5 - we could still conclude there was correlation and calculate the confidence level.

If we said pick a few males as controls this would ensure we didn't have fem seeds by accident.

hers what it says.

if it comes out on top or either on end top/bottom, ive found it to be a female. if it comes out on the side, it will be a male. he claims a 90% success rate with this theory. others have also confirmed this.

Very interesting. I hope somebody with the resources will put that to the test.

Nobody's answered my 24/7, 20/4 question. Has anybody tried both ways? I'm still in a follow-the-leader mode I got to get my legs under me before I start experimenting.

Back
Top Bottom