420RR's First Journal 2013 Jack Flash Hydro SOG Grow

Re: 420RR's First Journal 2013 Jack Flash Hydro SOG Grow Powered By Blue Planet Nutri

ram thats the right attitude my friend, dont try to run before u can walk. Im so fed up of growers on there second grow telling me this is the way or that is the way because it worked once or twice! build up a foundation from basic fundamentals then start figuring out what is best for ur grows.

get a dozen grows or so behind u, get the experience then start pushing the boat out. If 1 more first time grower tells me i dont know shit im going to scream! hahahahaha

Proofs always been in the puddin! LOL, I don't know much about you C, but I can see you are a resourceful person, the things you must deal with...LOL

Re: 420RR's First Journal 2013 Jack Flash Hydro SOG Grow Powered By Blue Planet Nutri

I agree as well C, "here here" to your statement there 420fied. I Think growing indoors is hard enough already, lol. why make it more complicated, not that changing a timer setting is complicated, LOL! I personally dont need to be doing anything like that right now. I need to establish a foundation of good basic skills and understanding/knowledge. This will enable me to experiment or test different theory's in the future with much less failure. Well, I hope so anyways. :thumb:

RR,

As Cult will tell you, I don't give much advice in the journals of others but I feel compelled to leave some here for a couple of reasons. 1. I like you. 2. You're just starting your journey in the grow game and I feel you could use the advice.

You seem to be a bit of a sponge. You remind me of me when I first started. I read EVERYTHING I could get my hands on and sought all the advice that folks would give.

As I progressed, I came to this conclusion: The simpler I kept things, the more successful I was. You'll get all sorts of advice from people on how, what, when, and where to grow. You'll have one grower swear by one method while another swears at it. I believe keeping it simple helps..... especially for a new grower. You'll have growers telling you that you HAVE to try GLR, Aero, DWC, cloning in aero, cloning in rockwool, growing in bags, growing in 2Liters,,, etc. You get my drift. Take all advice and use it to find your own style. What I've noticed though, is that many growers try and make it WAY more complicated than it should be. I mean look at GLR, 5 hrs on, 2 off, 1 on, 2 off, WTF? Really? I'm not saying that some of these "advanced" techniques do or don't work, I just don't understand why people yuck it up when they don't have to.

Look at me. I grow my plants in a simple mixture potted in 2 liter bottles. I feed them good nutrients, keep them on a steady 12/12 light schedule under run of the mill bulbs in basic, open hoods, and harvest them when they're ready. My equipment is good but not High end. I've had many growers tell me that I am the beauty of simplicity.

Besides some selective defoliation, nothing I do or grow with would be considered cutting edge, high tech, or advanced.
Keep it simple and pay attention to your garden on a daily basis. Your plants will speak to you. As a grower it's your job to learn to understand what they're telling you.

I wish you well.

good advice, i might follow it lol!

fied is on the money. simple is the way forward. learn ur own style and start with the basics, that includes light schedules etc. 18/6 is proven beyond doubt to work so use it. When u have multiple grows behind u and then switch to GLR tell me what u find out. Dont be one of those guys who trys technique first time around and tells the world its the best and only way to do things. Theres too many people doing that.

Common sense rules!

Agree cult. Common sense definitely rules. Common sense tells me that the simpler my operation.....the easier it'll be to determine the source of any problems that arise as there are less variables to consider.

K.I.S.S.

:Namaste:

Subbin up, 420RR - Glad to be aboard! :yahoo:

Now I see where the GLR debate started, lol. Without commenting on it's effectiveness more than I have, or should, based on my limited experience with it - I do want to weigh in more generally here:

First, many people really like it, for various reasons, and it works for their needs nicely. Not all growers or plants love it equally, as we're seeing. However, I must say that I also believe it's better when you are new to growing to start with the standard light schedules to understand and get a baseline, first. Don't over-complicate your first grow(s) with adding this, figure some other things out first. Plus, then you'll be able to form your own opinion and find what works for you. I know everyone's trying to help by sharing what is successful for them, but they probably didn't start there either. No disrespect intended toward anyone - just trying to give what I believe to be prudent advice.

This topic is seemingly becoming a bit divisive and distracting to 420RR's journal, no? Can someone post a link to a GLR thread that this topic can be further discussed as desired while not dumping too much more on our new friends journal? I know nobody wants that or wanted that, and he ay not mind - so I'm not pointing fingers or trying to be a jerk - just thinking there's probably already a thread for this for those still wanting more discussion on it. Not that he minds perhaps, but I feel like this topic kind of takes a life of it's own, no? Just a thought, and my 2 cents!

Much love and respect to you all - X.

:peacetwo:

Edit: Took me forever to type this on my mobile device, so I guess I'm reiterating a bit with the post - at least I was consistent, lol, so maybe we won't confuse you too much. I agree with 'fied, I like your spirit, effort, and style and want to see you succeed. :goodluck:

ram thats the right attitude my friend, dont try to run before u can walk. Im so fed up of growers on there second grow telling me this is the way or that is the way because it worked once or twice! build up a foundation from basic fundamentals then start figuring out what is best for ur grows.

get a dozen grows or so behind u, get the experience then start pushing the boat out. If 1 more first time grower tells me i dont know shit im going to scream! hahahahaha
LMAO!!:rofl: oh shit good stuff C.

Just to toss in my "nickel bag" worth...

First, read Lesson #1 in my "Top 5 Lessons" link in my sig.

Next, I'll say that I do use GLR but agree 100% with Cult & 420fied that, at least to start, keep it simple and learn how to grow the best meds you can. I found some benefits with GLR I can get into later but I have not experienced 50% faster veg times and I don't believe you'll end up with better meds at the end of the day using it.

Learn everything you can about maintaining the right environment, nutes, temps, RH, drying, curing, etc. and get a few good harvests under your belt so you have some "baseline" to start and compare from, then start experimenting and find out what works best for you. :Namaste:

"Set your timer on 12/12 and forget about it."

That is probably what I would do if I wanted an assembly line.

:rofl:
And to think this all started because I just suggested it to ramrod and presented the information.
To think that it would blow up into such a heated debate in multiple different journals, was not my initial intention...lol
But hopefully everyone got some things off their chests and we can move on growing and learning what works for us individually.
I couldn't agree more with Mr.Krip.
We should all be worrying more about the basics at the beginnings.
bottom line.

Hope everyone's not pissed at me for bringing it up, but I'm kinda glad I did.. hehehhehee
Now let's all K.I.S.S. and make up!!
:hug:

Probably what I would do if I was wanting an assembly line. I don't need a lot so it give me a
chance to try different methods.
GLR is one that I have intended to try but haven't got around to it yet. Maybe my next round.

C, I was under the impression your first hydro grow was last year.

Oldman, I've only been growin a year, a common truth that is apparent is this; if you stay with the fundamentals, you can grow succesfully with any style or method you want. A plant is a plant is a plant. peace

I meant that is the way I would do it if I was doing a perpetual grow. One or two large plants fill all of my needs for months.

This "GLR" thing seems to be up for very serious debate here. I do not know anything about it, its a first for me. So with that being said I would need to do more research myself. I "would" like to try it some time, but I think I need to get some of the basics down first using some of the traditional proven methods. I also would like to say after reading all of the posts, I agree with the last post by JBC420. This is exactly why I want all you guys here. This is going to be an awesome, cool, informative, having a fun time Journal for all to learn and voice there experiences and opinions. I love IT!!!! Keep it up guys!
Thanks again everyone for participating in my first journal. It makes a person feel kinda special to know that there are people who truly appreciate what we are trying to do! Its even cooler to see the passion come out in you guys, (cultivator and Jandre2k3). Can you guys feel your vibes from those words, I can its "PASSION" pure and simple!
I was a sous chef for awhile alot like "chef ramsey" I had "NO" and I mean "0" tolerance for mistakes in my kitchen or in my dishes, LMAO! I have extreme Passion, I love cooking and presenting the finished "art work" your plate! Then watch the people smiling saying ohhh that looks awesome and then say hmmmm oh man it tastes even better. then watch that sense of pure pleasure come over them!! you all Know that feeling when you eat your favorite food mom use to make! Well thats how I kinda feel now about growing weed and being in this forum. Does that analogy work for you anybody or everybody? LMAO!!
I though I would share my thoughts and let you guys get a sense of who I really am. Im a bit of a rambler of course its usually just overkill trying to get my point across or I just Yell/scream very loudly, LOL! I am a very deep thinker with a common sense outlook, I can very easily make things Hard for myself all the time. not just growing, lol! I get told all the time stop sweating/stressing the little stuff, well its the little stuff that gets me. It doesnt even have to be anything that concerns me. like when someone is knowingly taking advantage of someone else, OHHHH!!! That gets my blood boiling bad! just thinking about it gets me mad can you feel that! arggggh!! :Namaste: okay breath let it go!! :Namaste: ahhhhh! and do this :roorrip: oh ya thats better now!!!
I told you this was going to a fun! You guys rock!:rocker: always remember my words are meant to invoke a smile and leave you doing this :rofl: I truly and honestly from the bottom of my heart hope it works. I receive a massive amount of pleasure in my life from 2 different things, First thing is I love being in the spotlight and signing autographs for kids its a feeling like no other. BTW, Im a semi-retired pro skateboarder. Second thing is I enjoy caring and giving to others! I always put others before myself, sometimes to so much I even sacrifice my own happiness.

LOL! It's funny you should say that. I was a pastry chef for quite some time, and when it came to my area, which later became the whole kitchen. I am not proud to say, I was a bit of an ass, but I had a Michelin Star I was protecting with my life, and had to be that way. Standards as you can imagine were incredibly high, and anyone that could not adhere to the standards, heard much of what goes on in Hell's Kitchen when Ramsay gets so frustrated he can't stand it anymore, "GET OUT!"

As far as keeping it simple for the first few grows, I think that is best. As many will attest here, the simplest you can keep it while learning, is the best. If later, when you understand your system, and cannabis, you would like to try some advanced techniques to maximize production, lower cost, or what-not, THEN you can do so. Until then, K.I.S.S is the way of the grow until your skills are honed. Then you can play around a bit with an experimental section, and see which is better for you, and which is not.

It all really boils down to what you are keen to. If something doesn't work for you, then it just doesn't work for you. No biggie, just don't use whatever it was your were researching. Not every method works for every person, or skill set, or temperament, or style, or environment, or grow space... Ahhh variables... gotta love them!

RR,

As Cult will tell you, I don't give much advice in the journals of others but I feel compelled to leave some here for a couple of reasons. 1. I like you. 2. You're just starting your journey in the grow game and I feel you could use the advice.

You seem to be a bit of a sponge. You remind me of me when I first started. I read EVERYTHING I could get my hands on and sought all the advice that folks would give.

As I progressed, I came to this conclusion: The simpler I kept things, the more successful I was. You'll get all sorts of advice from people on how, what, when, and where to grow. You'll have one grower swear by one method while another swears at it. I believe keeping it simple helps..... especially for a new grower. You'll have growers telling you that you HAVE to try GLR, Aero, DWC, cloning in aero, cloning in rockwool, growing in bags, growing in 2Liters,,, etc. You get my drift. Take all advice and use it to find your own style. What I've noticed though, is that many growers try and make it WAY more complicated than it should be. I mean look at GLR, 5 hrs on, 2 off, 1 on, 2 off, WTF? Really? I'm not saying that some of these "advanced" techniques do or don't work, I just don't understand why people yuck it up when they don't have to.

Look at me. I grow my plants in a simple mixture potted in 2 liter bottles. I feed them good nutrients, keep them on a steady 12/12 light schedule under run of the mill bulbs in basic, open hoods, and harvest them when they're ready. My equipment is good but not High end. I've had many growers tell me that I am the beauty of simplicity.

Besides some selective defoliation, nothing I do or grow with would be considered cutting edge, high tech, or advanced.
Keep it simple and pay attention to your garden on a daily basis. Your plants will speak to you. As a grower it's your job to learn to understand what they're telling you.

I wish you well.
Subbin up, 420RR - Glad to be aboard! :yahoo:

Now I see where the GLR debate started, lol. Without commenting on it's effectiveness more than I have, or should, based on my limited experience with it - I do want to weigh in more generally here:

First, many people really like it, for various reasons, and it works for their needs nicely. Not all growers or plants love it equally, as we're seeing. However, I must say that I also believe it's better when you are new to growing to start with the standard light schedules to understand and get a baseline, first. Don't over-complicate your first grow(s) with adding this, figure some other things out first. Plus, then you'll be able to form your own opinion and find what works for you. I know everyone's trying to help by sharing what is successful for them, but they probably didn't start there either. No disrespect intended toward anyone - just trying to give what I believe to be prudent advice.

This topic is seemingly becoming a bit divisive and distracting to 420RR's journal, no? Can someone post a link to a GLR thread that this topic can be further discussed as desired while not dumping too much more on our new friends journal? I know nobody wants that or wanted that, and he ay not mind - so I'm not pointing fingers or trying to be a jerk - just thinking there's probably already a thread for this for those still wanting more discussion on it. Not that he minds perhaps, but I feel like this topic kind of takes a life of it's own, no? Just a thought, and my 2 cents!

Much love and respect to you all - X.

:peacetwo:

Edit: Took me forever to type this on my mobile device, so I guess I'm reiterating a bit with the post - at least I was consistent, lol, so maybe we won't confuse you too much. I agree with 'fied, I like your spirit, effort, and style and want to see you succeed. :goodluck:

heheh, I was just saying that, lol. I wish I had read further to see this, lol!

Well looks it like we are kinda back on track here. I really appreciate all the support from everyone so far, it has been way more than I could have hoped for already.:goodjob:

:allgood: I read your post Xlr8 and :high-five: good looking out bro, you must have been reading my mind, lol! I was starting to think what does this topic have to do with my grow right now! LOL! BUT on the other hand, I was quite stoked to see so much activity on my first journal. Regardless of that It was pretty cool to see the passion come out of these guys on simply a different "lighting" method. All with manners and respect for each others opinions.
I dont want any bad vibes here thats for sure, But I dont mind PASSION! does that make sense? it does in my head.:hmmmm:
I really like the way you put it to, very mannerly :bravo: I try to be as much as i can, thats how my moms raised me. Im hoping to get my "BLUE PLANET NUTES" in the mail next week. hopefully in time for my planned date for transplant of clones for the start of SOG then I will put everything into flowering on FEB. 1rst. I'm going with the traditional a 12/12, :laughtwo: in the grow room and hopefully never go back to vegging in that room again. well at least for a little while anyways.
I will be posting an update tomorrow. I made some changes and I am also preparing for the FEB 1 turn date. :Rasta: :peacetwo:

Originally Posted by oldman60 View Post

Probably what I would do if I was wanting an assembly line. I don't need a lot so it give me a
chance to try different methods.
GLR is one that I have intended to try but haven't got around to it yet. Maybe my next round.

C, I was under the impression your first hydro grow was last year.

Just to clarify the above.

Splitting hairs u could say ive been growing hydro for more than 10 years as coco/perlite mix was my medium, therefore the nutes etc i used was pretty much identical to what i use now only with a few alterations here or there depending on the hydro system i use, whether its DWC, Flood and drain or recirculating drip irrigation.

Its true that my first dive into DWC was a little over a year ago. But I have alot of experience growing so the transition was simple. Also the sheer numbers of plants ive grown in hydro over the past year and a bit has given me even more experience fast. I on average run 8-10 grows simultaneously so the learning curve has to be fast.

I think by stating ive only been growing hydro for a year implys im inexperienced? And if i had only started growing a year ago that well may be the case but the fact is ive been growing successfully for years.

Back
Top Bottom