62 year old newbie

SJ-Distiller

420 Member
I live in a state that will hopefully have legal recreational marijuana by the end of this year. I have been using cannabis for the last few years mainly for sleep, but also occasionally for stress reduction and relaxation. I was surprised how much more effective it was than Ambien. I began a hobby growing hydroponic vegetables; I wanted to have good tomatoes in the winter. I failed at several attempts to grow tomatoes, but was successful with lettuce and herbs like basil and thyme. I then decided to try cannabis. My first few attempts in potting soil were dismal failures; I was not able to get past a few weeks' of growth before I would inevitably kill the plant, probably by overwatering. I then tried hydroponics, and was finally somewhat successful. I say somewhat because I did grow a plant to maturity (white widow) but the buds were very airy and yield was poor. I got some better lighting and my next attempt was better (GS cookies), but still not to a level of quality that I was happy with. My first two grows were with the blurple LEDs. My third attempt was with a Roleadro 400W COB plus I used the other two lights, which was a further improvement, but I had to cut the grow short in June when the oder gave me away and the wife made me get rid of the plant, a Jack Herer. I couldn't bring myself to kill it, so I moved it outside, behind my shed, and used ran an air hose from inside my shed to the bucket outside. I just chopped it down last week, and the buds are now drying. Since it did not get full sun all day, it again did not produce the bid dense buds that I am after. I am now going to revert to indoor growing since fall is here. I promised my wife that any future indoor grow will be odor-free (I am going to upgrade to an 8-inch fan and charcoal filter). I will create a grow journal for my new crop soon. I also plan on getting better lights; thinking about quantum boards or a 600 HPS. My grow closet is approx. 3 x 3 x 7 ft. Here is a picture of my Jack Herer, about a month before harvest. I am interested in any advice anyone cares to offer, especially regarding what lighting I should get.
IMG_0174.jpg

nice plant,, welcome to growing cannabis

overwatering the easiest way to kill a plant for sure

a ton o info on this site,, cruise around the forums,, very helpful

cheers to yas

oh, i will be 62 in a week or so,, oh boy,,

i have a plant outside right now,, this the colours from yesterday,, cool in the evenings here lately,, that does this

P1170338 (2).JPG

Welcome to 420mag Sj!!! I grow in a 3x3 as well but only 6ft tall with led in soil and pulled 5.5oz of 1 plant. So you should be able to do just fine with your closet. If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask we have tons of master growers who love to lend a helping hand. Welcome to the neighborhood my friend!!!

Hey distilled and welcome!

:420:Is one hell of an amazing community! The people and the knowledge here are unmatched!
I grow in a 4x4x6.6ft tent and I run a 600w HPS.

I find this to be good for my space but could always use more haha! I am going to upgrade to better lighting next year but for a great price point and for proven results HPS has been around for years and still a strong go to in the market today !

@SmokeSara has some great lighting selections and a PROMO sale of 10% off this upcoming week for CANADAS legalization!

Starting on Oct.17 you can save 10% on your orders.

Hope all is well for you my friend.

-Dutch

Welcome SJ-Distiller, and it is never too old to learn new stuffs! :goodjob: and thank you @Dutchman1990 for mentioning me here. :)For your 3x3 area, if you use LED grow lights, get a 400w real wattage light will kill! :cool: Save that 200w electricity bills on anything else. :green_heart: Check out on our site you may find something you may be interested. :Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom