8 Blueberry BullRiders Grown In GreenTrees Buckes Under 2x360 Extreme Flower LED

bakermancanvw

Hello fellow cultivators,

I come to you with opening my first grow journal as a humble noob hoping to learning all that i can. I actually debated wethere i would make this journal because I am actually more than halfway through my first run already but just discovered the site through research and realized this journal feature is perfect not only to have people help with knowledge as the grow is going but to digitally log the progress. So far i've been writing everything down till now so i'll try and tell the story from the beginning and get caught up to the current state. That being said here goes the journal....

Once i decided to grow my own smoke i began doin lots of research on the subject to make it happen as smoothly as possible and get a head start. I knew going into this its a science and and also an art, not somethin that is easily mastered.

When i do somethin i do my best to do it right and not go cheap on anything so i dedicated the entire extra room in my house to this setup to have the optimal environment.

Thought about having just the whole open room but was concerned about possible light leaks from around the door and there were tons of benefits to running a tent for me like easier light control, climate control pest control, reflectivity for light efficiency etc so i set up a 5x10x7 gro tent in the spare room. it takes up more than half of the room.

After lots and lots of reading not only on grow knowlege but on cost/benefit knowledge one thing i was sure of is that i wanted to go LED. HPS is obviously tried and true but at how much it would cost to run not only the light but all the extra vent equipment to manage heat it would be cheaper to just buy weed and not grow. I was skeptical of all the hype I was reading and it really was hard to pick through it but i ended up with 2 360 Extreme Flower panels from advancedled. Very expensive but i plan on many grows and they will pay off by my math as long as i can get decent yield.

Another thought was maintenance. My friend who cultivates (same friend i got my 8 blueberry bullrider clones from) spends endless hours on his rooms and while i would love to do that i simply work way too much. After reading about systems i went with the greentrees hydro flood/drain system and bought 2 extra buckets for a total of 8 sites and upgraded to a 30 gallon res. Seemed really simple and basic which so far it has been and pretty low maintenance.

Regulating temp and RH with a huge portable AC unit. I bring in fresh air from the outside to the inside of the room which is filtered though the unit. The fresh air current is directed straight at a single opening in the tent where it is then drawn through the tent passively by a 6" vortex fan on the opposite side of the tents roof. A 12" ocsillating fan keeps it all circulating.

So its all been set up and running mid november. i got it all dialed in and bought some nutes before getting the girls.

Recap on the setup:

5x10x7 grow tent
2x360 watt extreme flower advancedled panels
greentrees hydro bucket system with hydroton
8 blueberry bullrider plants from clone. i know its a hybrid not sure of percentages, seems to have more indica trait
14,000 btu portable ac unit,12" oscillatig fan, and 6" vortex for ventilation
20lb co2 tank on regulator and timer (did not get this untill week 3 of flower)
ph/ppm pens
Hydrologic RO 100L
Close to 5.8 ph as possible

Nutes:
GH Cal/Mag
Botanicare Kind base/bloom/grow
Orca root treatment
GH Amino treatment
Mad Farmer B-1
Mad Farmer M.O.A.B.
Mad Farmer N.U.T.
BIG SWELL

Veg stage.

From the get go i may have been at a disadvantage with some of the clones. they werent exactly the healthiest looking i've seen and the roots were underdeveloped on 2 for sure, but its what i had available...

I plopped the jiffy cubed clones in the buckets on Sept. 23 with the lights on 18/6, kept clear plastic cups over them to retain humidity during the transition into veg. I figure the first week of the clones being in the pots is a "take" period and i dont count it as a veg week. i started my veg timer on Sept 30 with the plan of harvesting around xmas or new year.

after the clones were in the buckets for about a week there was noticable growth from me top feeding the plants plain RO water so i started up the brain and set it for flood every 4 hours for 30 minutes. i then added base nutrients at half strength, cal mag, a little orca and b-1

Couple weeks into veg plants look fine but they are very dark and arent growing as fast or as big as i hoped. Couple days after that i see the "claw" effect on almost every leaf. I had done what i had done so much research trying to prevent and overdosed! My plants were getting too much N ! I learned from experience that chemical nutes are much more concentrated than i even researched. Everywhere says half strength but even that was too much.

One thing i love about this bucket system is its easy to flush. no experience with other systems hands on but imagine this is one of the easiest.

When i noticed the "claw" i RO'd a ton of water. put about 3 gallons of ro water through the top of each bucket to flush which gets auto pump from brain back to res, drain res then refill , super easy. that seemed to fix the issue and the new growth looked healthy after i put in less nutes.

So they grew healthy again and i let them veg untill i flipped to 12/12 on oct 25th. just short of 4 full weeks not counting the 1 week "take" period after transplant.

Flower:

I had read so many times about people doing 36 of dark before 12/12 but i didnt want try anything like that i just went straight to 12/12 and i noticed the change only 2 days later the little hairs popped out and flower progress has been steady.

I experienced defficiencies in the plants r2 weeks into flower.Had 2 that suffered pretty bad Ca defficiencies (the same 2 that were runty from the get go) and almost all of them were somewhat P and K defficient over the last week. they are just over 5 weeks in flower now so i suspect i was just off on the timing of switching nutrient ratios. After i switched to 12/12 i wasnt sure when the nutrient demand would change so i changed the res after 1 week with more PK and then again after week 2 of flower.

Each time i noticed any kind of issue i would flush with RO water and try to rebalance the nutes to the stage of growth, but i think for someone like me its just a matter of doing it a few times...

Also i've found its very hard to tell if there might be "lockout" happening. I dont think i had one though, i suspect i just got scared of the N toxicity in veg and was too cautious in the transition to the flower nute. I can see now that once they start to flower their needs change almost immediately since the change in light is immediate and not gradual like in nature.

Just added the 20lb CO2 tank last week and that gets me up to date!

One issue i've been having all along is PH. it keeps going down which to me is unusual because everything i read says the ph will go up in hydro. Every day i have to ad a little PH UP to the res to keep it at 5.8 or else it will drop to 5.5 or less in 24 hourse and if i let it go longer it can get to 5 or less. My local hydro store guys says ph up is bad but what else can i do? why does it drop so low in the first place? I always use fresh ro water, put in cal mag first as instructed, then the other nutes.

Still have past growth that shows past defficiencies but the buds look dense, smell good and are super sticky and trich loaded. If the final product isnt the best at least i should be able to make some good hash!

I have uploaded some pics to the gallery but they arent inserting from mobile so i'll have to do it tonight when i get home and ill post the setup pics and bud pics. Sorry to keep you waiting! :peace:

IMG_181820.JPG

the tent set up, it's beast. i've never seen anyone do this although im sure im not the first. I see so many people hang things from wires but i got clever and zip tied a piece or pegboard to the tent frame which is perfect for mounting things like the fans.

IMG_182012.JPG

see?! genius right?!

IMG_185720.JPG

this ac unit brings in fresh dehumidified air to the room right where it gets sucked in through an open flap on the side

IMG_185517.JPG

babies just transplanted

IMG_200812.JPG

tied fishing line to the top of each plant and by drilling tiny holes in the lip of each pot i yanked the plants over even the canopy the best i could and help the light get down there. i think next time for sure im gonna scrog 6 plants and go much bigger

IMG_200711.JPG
IMG_20069.JPG
IMG_20119.JPG

these are day 29 of flower (yesterday)

Actually I was a little off on my calendar last post. those close up pics are day 38...

Today is day 40, all looks well. Overall doesn't look like the yield I'm looking for but I think I just fed too much N early on which slowed em down on top of not vegging long enough in the first place.

Couple more closeups with a nicer 12MP camera. Trichs look pretty good. A lot are turning white there's 2 very small leaves where I noticed some amber trichs.

IMG_9419.JPG

IMG_9426.JPG

IMG_202110.JPG

IMG_9426_1.jpg

Hi bakermancanvw;
I personally go by The Trichomes, there are several articles here that can explain the Trichomes in detail. They say it makes the difference in the type of effect your are trying to achieve. Trichomes 101 is a great read. I use a 30x loop when my flower cycle should be ending (Strain Specific) and a 60x microscope over the next few days until my desired ripeness is obtained. I harvest with a ratio of about 1 in 20 are amber.

Good Growing;

JB

thx for the tip i figured trichs was the more reliable source but was wondering if the hairs could be a sign that its not done. check out this pic. its really hard to take photos close up of trichs but this is holding up my 40x to my iphone 4s. check out the leaf going to the right can see that it looks like alot are amber.

think if i start flushing today it will be ripe enough?

image5943.jpg

How long is the flower cycle on this Blue Berry strain? 56 days is the flower time to ripen on the White Russian strain I grow so I start looking at my trichome ratios at that time, my harvest is normally with in 6 days of there expected cycle. If your not sure on the flower cycle time, just keep a close eye out after 56 days. When you see amber Trichomes it is at that time because remember it will ripen for the first 3 to 5 days while drying. Given the size of the fruit of course.

I also noticed that your Pistils are still mostly white. When I start to check my Trichomes, my pistils are mostly (80%) Red/Gold and by the time I cut there are no white or very few white Pistils. Some strains have a long flower cycle. I've grown several strains that take 70 days to ripen.

Thats what i was thinkin it was supposed to be like. im wondering if it is maturing a little early. there are a good amount of orange/red pistils but still mostly white.

not sure of the exact time of flower days for this strain was just going to go off the feel. Plants are feont friend but im using different lights/nutes/medium.

I guess its kind of hard to time. i just dont want it to be too early but also not too late.

Just got home from work checked em all out. Looks like trich ratio now is about 10%clearish-cloudy/75% full cloudy/15% amber so I think im gonna start the flush so it will be slightly more ripe when done. I would prefer more uppity high so better if they not mostly amber.

estimating from looks it wont be more than a couple ounces of prime nug but again this was mainly a test run to learn and get all the noob mistake out of the way before I get scrog goin, probly make concentrate from the bottom nugs since they are still way trich coated just not big.

crossing my fingers on the potency, believed all the LED hype so we see if it pays off, part of being one of the guinea's I guess...

from your last pics i would say you can start flushing
i am sorry to say this but i would wait at least another week or so
they put quite a bit of bulge the last weeks
i think a lot of the pistils will shrink during this time
you can always do the pinch a bit and try it, get a nice nip off the lower section
then chop it into smaller pieces and quick dry it, i do this by putting it in an envelope and laying it across a small lamp
it fits nicely and the 13 watt cfl dries it in about 3-4 hours, you can get an idea how the effect fits you

they look very nice excellent job for first run
good luck and take care

Thanks for sharing your grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please feel free to start a new journal here: Journals in Progress

In the future, whenever you complete a journal, please use the Report Post feature found at the bottom left of every post, so we can be alerted to move it for you.

Hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom