9th Planet Quasar 1000W LED Sponsored Journal

:goodjob: I agree.

Slightly tinted safety glasses will do for now; they all have to protect against UV, even the clear ones!

Go for an industrial brand name, if possible :goodluck:

Picked up a nice pair at Depot yesterday, carried them through the store with me for 15 minutes while I did some other shopping-Got home with no glasses. I must have set them down to check bolt sizes etc.:rofl:

Made some adjustments to the exhaust. I removed about 6' of duct, and hung the filter in a more centralized location to better extract heat. I added one 7' fan at the bottom to improve air flow, and raised the light to 30' above the plant. I worry about penetration at this height, but I've got the temps down to around 84 degrees F with the light on 100% power. I'm ALMOST there...
DSC_035516.JPG

DSC_035720.JPG

DSC_035813.JPG

DSC_035915.JPG

Picked up a nice pair at Depot yesterday, carried them through the store with me for 15 minutes while I did some other shopping-Got home with no glasses. I must have set them down to check bolt sizes etc.:rofl:

Yeah! :hookah: Bolt sizes! :roorrip: I'm sure it was bolt sizes! :blunt: What else would have made you forget what you went there for in the first place??? :lot-o-toke:

Yeah! :hookah: Bolt sizes! :roorrip: I'm sure it was bolt sizes! :blunt: What else would have made you forget what you went there for in the first place??? :lot-o-toke:

:passitleft:

Made some adjustments to the exhaust. I removed about 6' of duct, and hung the filter in a more centralized location to better extract heat. I added one 7' fan at the bottom to improve air flow, and raised the light to 30' above the plant. I worry about penetration at this height, but I've got the temps down to around 84 degrees F with the light on 100% power. I'm ALMOST there...
DSC_035516.JPG

DSC_035720.JPG

DSC_035813.JPG

DSC_035915.JPG

That light looks so awesome! What I can see of your plant looks pretty good too .

Also, in the Honeywell fan picture, your leaf tips look burned/ orange/ yellow, might just be my bad eyesight/ the powerful LED.

Sent from my iPhone using 420

That light looks so awesome! What I can see of your plant looks pretty good too .

Also, in the Honeywell fan picture, your leaf tips look burned/ orange/ yellow, might just be my bad eyesight/ the powerful LED.

Thank you for the kind words.
You aren't seeing things, those are lower leaves that got starved in the earlier weeks when I first received the plant, as I am new to coco and neglected to feed for one week. Those leaves will be getting removed in the next week or so as I thin things out. The uppers look a lot better, and I'll make an effort to get some photos under better light.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Thank you for the kind words.
You aren't seeing things, those are lower leaves that got starved in the earlier weeks when I first received the plant, as I am new to coco and neglected to feed for one week. Those leaves will be getting removed in the next week or so as I thin things out. The uppers look a lot better, and I'll make an effort to get some photos under better light.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Gotcha, everything looks good bro. Where can I find more information about the LED you're using?

What info they sent was taped to the outside of the package for shipment, and was wet and torn. I'm waiting for the specs and additional info from them now.

Drive bye. Looks like your moving up in the world, I've been thinking of trying a LED light myself. I was thinking of the solar storm 660. But abit to costy right this moment. Might end up witha Mars unit, Hope you don't mind me driving thru now and then. Looking good so far,,,,, Keepem Green

Just caught up on your read,,, good thing it was early. I've heard great things about the UV in the last week or two of flower. Kind of the reason I was looking at the Solar Storm. But after reading the first that is a monster. Is it suppose to replace a 1000 or actual wattage? It sure looks like it should do a 4X4 screamer with some left over. Got a question? Does it put out heat?? Not that it wood be like a HID, but any kind of heat for like a tent? I mean all lights are workable, just some harder and costy than others. Guess I could look up abit on yours. Good looking girl you got there,,,, Keepem Green

Just caught up on your read,,, good thing it was early. I've heard great things about the UV in the last week or two of flower. Kind of the reason I was looking at the Solar Storm. But after reading the first that is a monster. Is it suppose to replace a 1000 or actual wattage? It sure looks like it should do a 4X4 screamer with some left over. Got a question? Does it put out heat?? Not that it wood be like a HID, but any kind of heat for like a tent? I mean all lights are workable, just some harder and costy than others. Guess I could look up abit on yours. Good looking girl you got there,,,, Keepem Green

Right on Wood thanks for swingin in! Please feel free to stop in any time. And thanks for the kind words.
I have always been skeptical of LEDs, because one thing remains the same. Penetration is lower than with HIDs. LED manufacturers will always say that their lights will replace close to twice the wattage of HIDs. I.E. "Our 200w LED replaces a 400w MH/HPS", and, our 400 will replace a 600" etc. I'm not entirely convinced that it's possible, YET, but I do believe the heat reduction using LEDs is a viable factor for replacement.

In my case, I'm going from a 600w MH/HPS dimmable/switchable HID to a 1030w LED. I can honestly say that the trade off is hard to compare because it's like comparing apples to oranges. Watt for watt, the LEDs produce less heat. But penetration wise, you almost HAVE to go up in wattage to achieve the same effectiveness of HIDs. I can guarantee that this light will out produce any HID that I can effectively cool in my space. My temps are slightly higher, but that's because I'm running 400 watts more than I was before. So in my opinion, yes, this light would be perfect in a tent, provided the grower has an efficient heat extraction system and a way to cool it some.

So the short answer is yes, at 1000 watts you will experience some heat, but much less heat than you would experience with a 1000w HID.

Right on Wood thanks for swingin in! Please feel free to stop in any time. And thanks for the kind words.
I have always been skeptical of LEDs, because one thing remains the same. Penetration is lower than with HIDs. LED manufacturers will always say that their lights will replace close to twice the wattage of HIDs. I.E. "Our 200w LED replaces a 400w MH/HPS", and, our 400 will replace a 600" etc. I'm not entirely convinced that it's possible, YET, but I do believe the heat reduction using LEDs is a viable factor for replacement.

In my case, I'm going from a 600w MH/HPS dimmable/switchable HID to a 1030w LED. I can honestly say that the trade off is hard to compare because it's like comparing apples to oranges. Watt for watt, the LEDs produce less heat. But penetration wise, you almost HAVE to go up in wattage to achieve the same effectiveness of HIDs. I can guarantee that this light will out produce any HID that I can effectively cool in my space. My temps are slightly higher, but that's because I'm running 400 watts more than I was before. So in my opinion, yes, this light would be perfect in a tent, provided the grower has an efficient heat extraction system and a way to cool it some.

So the short answer is yes, at 1000 watts you will experience some heat, but much less heat than you would experience with a 1000w HID.

I think you guys have heard me say it before, and as a dedicated LED guy, I'll say it again...

Don't grow trees with LED's!!! :cheesygrinsmiley:

You're 100% correct on the penetration, but, for the average home grower that has something like a 6' tent (in my case, only 5'!), how big can you grow them anyways? In a warehouse/greenhouse with 15' ceilings, it would be a different story.

Assume the container is 24" tall and the lights hang only 6" from the top, and you need the lights to be 18" from the canopy. That's 4' of the 6' right there. So, if the LED can penetrate 2'-3' into the canopy, it should be more than sufficient for the average home/indoor grower and much easier to maintain temps in the smaller space. The lower heat also reduces the cooling requirements which all results in lower costs. And, a nice 2' cola is nothing to complain about coming out of a 5'-6' tent/cabinet! ;)

Now, it's a different story for NCW...I've seen Wood's plants, and I think he takes his clones at five or six feet in height, so he may have some trouble! :rofl:

With the new 5w LED's, penetration should be even better!

So far so good.

Subbed

Right on, glad to have you aboard. Looks like you've got a few good things happening in your neck of the woods, I'll have to swing by and have a look. Look forward to seeing you around!

I think you guys have heard me say it before, and as a dedicated LED guy, I'll say it again...

Don't grow trees with LED's!!! :cheesygrinsmiley:

You're 100% correct on the penetration, but, for the average home grower that has something like a 6' tent (in my case, only 5'!), how big can you grow them anyways? In a warehouse/greenhouse with 15' ceilings, it would be a different story.

Assume the container is 24" tall and the lights hang only 6" from the top, and you need the lights to be 18" from the canopy. That's 4' of the 6' right there. So, if the LED can penetrate 2'-3' into the canopy, it should be more than sufficient for the average home/indoor grower and much easier to maintain temps in the smaller space. The lower heat also reduces the cooling requirements which all results in lower costs. And, a nice 2' cola is nothing to complain about coming out of a 5'-6' tent/cabinet! ;)

Now, it's a different story for NCW...I've seen Wood's plants, and I think he takes his clones at five or six feet in height, so he may have some trouble! :rofl:

With the new 5w LED's, penetration should be even better!
Bingo Broher.
I think the biggest question a grower has to ask themselves is, "am I prepared to change?".

We sometimes have to change our mindset from "How big can I get them?" to, "how low can I grow?"

Im gonna be spending some time learning how to SCRoG. Dig?

Nothing major, but Skunk Berry gave 8 beautiful clones on Sunday night, and is now 9 days into flower. I'm currently running 13 on 11 off. I'll take the extra hour away at the end of week two of stretch. She's climbing fast, but sturdy and strong nonetheless..

I ran the first eight clones SUPER close to an AC register, on top of the already low 62 degree office, which is required to keep the closet at 81 degrees. It took nearly 21 days to show roots, which, I know, is WAY too slow for cash croppers. This is not a cash crop, nor is it a cash croppers journal. That being said, my method for cloning is already frowned upon so what do I care? :surf:

Long story short, I simply take Rockwool cubes, ream the hole to reduce resistance, wet with some of the purest water Berkey will provide me and stab the cubes with a clone.

I cut my clones big, using a sterile razor blade, cut again at around 5" at a 45 degree angle, lightly scrape the bottom 1"-1.5" of stem and stab. No PHing the cubes, no cloning gel or dust, and poke em into the cubes.

After 3 weeks, yeah, they're ugly, but they bounce back. The recovery time actually allows me time to veg and be ready to flower by the time the mother will be finished.

These roots are the lowliest of the bunch.
DSC_037916.JPG

DSC_036113.JPG
DSC_03649.JPG

The mother got a major hair cut under the canopy.

DSC_036710.JPG
DSC_036615.JPG

Back
Top Bottom