9th Planet Quasar 1000W LED Sponsored Journal

Nice, Brother! Is that Mother one plant or two? It looks like two stalks! :hmmmm:
I literally just got done staring at that picture:rofl:
It's one plant, one stalk...Hold on a sec...

T'was an optical illusion. Couldn't even replicate the photo lol.

DSC_038312.JPG

DSC_038213.JPG

DSC_038114.JPG

DSC_038014.JPG

It was the Velcro strap you see in the first picture of my last post....

Oh!!! :rofl:

I was sitting there staring at it, too, trying to figure out the "optical illusion" since I knew it couldn't be two plants, but that coloring on the velcro matched the real stalk perfectly and looked like it had two branches coming off (the LST); and I could see they were separate! That's pretty cool! :cheesygrinsmiley:

So here's what info I could gather on the Quasar LED.

243 Volts
4.42 Amps
1030 Draw

Each clusters consist of 29 Chips plus 12 UV Chips
4 - 450 NM 3 Watt
2 - 460 NM 5 Watts
16 - R60 3 Watts
4 - R30 3 Watts
1 - 3500k 5 Watts
2 - 7500k 5 Watts
12 - 320 NM UV 5 Watts

Each driver is 30 - 45 Volts running at 1150 MA.

Heights.

Vegetative stage 14 to 24 inches approximately.
Flowering stage 12 to 32 inches approximately.

light_specs5.png

light_spwcs3.png

light_specs2.png

light_specs4.png

light_specs1.png

Now, please understand there is a bit of a language barrier between myself and the folks I'm working with at 9th Planet. (Not Chinese)

I am also VERY new to LEDs and the readings from the meter readings IS Chinese to me. Anyone familiar with LEDs and light meter readings will get mad reps for their ability to explain some of this info to the rest of us.:nomo:

So here's what info I could gather on the Quasar LED.

243 Volts
4.42 Amps
1030 Draw

Each clusters consist of 29 Chips plus 12 UV Chips
4 - 450 NM 3 Watt
2 - 460 NM 5 Watts
16 - R60 3 Watts
4 - R30 3 Watts
1 - 3500k 5 Watts
2 - 7500k 5 Watts
12 - 320 NM UV 5 Watts

Each driver is 30 - 45 Volts running at 1150 MA.

Heights.

Vegetative stage 14 to 24 inches approximately.
Flowering stage 12 to 32 inches approximately.

light_specs5.png

light_spwcs3.png

light_specs2.png

light_specs4.png

light_specs1.png

Millertm is your guy to explain everything. I've been impressed by his knowledge of lighting and will ask him to stop by.

Any idea what the rationale would be for mixing the 3w with the 5w chips? If they're using 5w's, I don't see any reason to mix in the 3w's.

Not sure I've read back enough but that's one powerful setup. Mixing 3 and 5 watts chips are most likely due to cost. If your pulling over 1K watts it will get hot, but should kill it in flower. Let me read last few pages to see what your issues are.

Cheers

Not sure I've read back enough but that's one powerful setup. Mixing 3 and 5 watts chips are most likely due to cost. If your pulling over 1K watts it will get hot, but should kill it in flower. Let me read last few pages to see what your issues are.

Cheers

Yeah, I assume cost was the real reason, but to the manufacturer, I don't imagine there's much cost savings. I can, however, envision them having a ton of 3w's left on the shelf and want to get rid of them before going to all 5w's in the light!

And, I just can't see a light manufacturer telling its customers , "yeah, we threw in some of the older, last generation technology to keep costs down." I figured they must at least have SOME plausible reason to put them in there other than "we had a bunch left on the shelf", even if that was the real reason! :)

Stop on over to our journal. A few days back they were talking about all kinds of stuff to do with lights. Also, feel free to ask questions there. Nis knows a lot about them. So does Mr. Krip, and millertm
Thank you Canna, I have to get over to see what' what!

Cheers
Thanks a bunch milltertm. No real issues except for my own lack of experience in coco and LEDs, and, (and you hit the nail on the head) heat. I'm paying a pretty penny on electricity right now just to keep the office at 62, and getting 82 in the closet with the closet door open.
I can see right now I'm going to have to rig something up on the next round to pipe cool air directly into the closet. That should be fun.

Yeah, I assume cost was the real reason, but to the manufacturer, I don't imagine there's much cost savings. I can, however, envision them having a ton of 3w's left on the shelf and want to get rid of them before going to all 5w's in the light!

And, I just can't see a light manufacturer telling its customers , "yeah, we threw in some of the older, last generation technology to keep costs down." I figured they must at least have SOME plausible reason to put them in there other than "we had a bunch left on the shelf", even if that was the real reason! :)

Looking at the numbers, the only thing aside from cost I can see, is that the spectrum on the 3 waters is slightly different from that of the 5s. I wonder if they used the 3s to get the mix just right...?

Made some adjustments to the exhaust. I removed about 6' of duct, and hung the filter in a more centralized location to better extract heat. I added one 7' fan at the bottom to improve air flow, and raised the light to 30' above the plant. I worry about penetration at this height, but I've got the temps down to around 84 degrees F with the light on 100% power. I'm ALMOST there...
DSC_035516.JPG

DSC_035720.JPG

DSC_035813.JPG

DSC_035915.JPG
Ah, I now see your setup. Looks good in theory but I believe you need another fan feeding the closet. I run bare bulb in a non ac room in summer. My 12 hour cycle is 9p to 9a. I have my fans kicking on in the day it's so hot here while my light is off. Air movement is what you need to keep your area cool. Air has low heat movement ability so we need to turn air volume 3 to 4x per min. My 4x4x6.7 was using 550 cfm running full voltage and 440 with filter ducted out window. Your area will need more then 1, 400 cfm fan to keep cool. You will need to have room 10 to 12 deg below desired operating temperature.

Cheers

Looking at the numbers, the only thing aside from cost I can see, is that the spectrum on the 3 waters is slightly different from that of the 5s. I wonder if they used the 3s to get the mix just right...?

Your guess is as good as mine on that one, Brother! If you have a contact there you're communicating with anyway, you may just want to ask what their reasoning was. I'd be interested to hear their answer! ;)

Alright guys, we just got back from some EPIC camping in the Colorado Rocky Mountains and I feel refreshed. I may have to post some photos in the off topic area.

Meanwhile, I'm over due for an update so I'll fill you in.

I mentioned before that I was going to flip 12s on the Skunk Berry mother, which I did on 7/10. Yesterday was 3 weeks of flower, and she's packing on weight, with around 30, 6" colas.

Being a small space grower, I've always been a fan of the 21 and 45 day defoliation method. At 21 days, I like to do a lollipop defoliation of the bottom to remove the "suckers", because I'm not a huge fan of popcorn flowers.
At 45 days, I like to thin the biggest fan leaves, but not to the extreme that I've seen others do.

Leaving for camping last Friday, I had to dial the power down to 50% on the Quasar to keep the temps down with the door closed. My clone shelf isn't light tight just yet, and I wasn't taking any chances on light stress. I came home to find that the highest the temps got was 73 degrees. PERFECT!! Not only that, but this plant was happier than a pig in mud.

DSC_039114.JPG

DSC_039414.JPG

DSC_039518.JPG

Now, the first set of clones I took on 6/23, took 21 days to root due to extremely low temps, around 62 degrees.
I transplanted them into 50/50 FFOF/FFHF on 7/20, and they are also, happier than pigs in mud.

I took an additional 8 clones, 7 days into flower, on 7/17, and came home to roots yesterday. They will all receive the same transplant as the previous 8.

I hadn't originally intended to keep a cycle of this plant going, but her genetics are a damned treasure, with tons of vigor, STRONG branching and an obvious love for life. So for now, the Blue Dream will have to wait until fall.

DSC_039712.JPG

DSC_039813.JPG

I made a few adjustments to my cloning shelf, adding a heating mat under the rooting clones, as well as a dome which I've never used.

Anyone have any thoughts on taking clones during flower?

Very nice, Quix! It's always a joy to come home from a trip and find the plants aren't dead. It's GREAT when you find them thriving like that! :yahoo:

That Skunkberry sounds like a keeper! :yummy:

Very nice, Quix! It's always a joy to come home from a trip and find the plants aren't dead. It's GREAT when you find them thriving like that! :yahoo:

That Skunkberry sounds like a keeper! :yummy:

Thank you Mr. K. Yes, I've made mistakes in the past, with regard to leaving the plants on auto pilot for days at a time before and learned what works and what doesn't. This was a treat to come home to.

Have you ever taken clones during flower?

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Thank you Mr. K. Yes, I've made mistakes in the past, with regard to leaving the plants on auto pilot for days at a time before and learned what works and what doesn't. This was a treat to come home to.

Have you ever taken clones during flower?

Not really. I did take a couple of clones from that Blue OG I'm growing now when it was about 1 week, or so, into 12/12, but that's about it. Never done a re-veg, either. If it's something new, I try to keep the original seedling/clone so I always have the "first generation" (not that it should make a difference with a clone!) and clone from that.

I'm sure it can be done, but I would put it under 24 hours of light and do everything you can to extend your time to root (i.e. trim fan leaves, use humidity dome, rooting gel, etc.) since I imagine it would take some time.

I would also try to take the clone from lower on the plant which has more of the rooting auxins than one would towards the top.

:Namaste:

Not really. I did take a couple of clones from that Blue OG I'm growing now when it was about 1 week, or so, into 12/12, but that's about it. Never done a re-veg, either. If it's something new, I try to keep the original seedling/clone so I always have the "first generation" (not that it should make a difference with a clone!) and clone from that.

I'm sure it can be done, but I would put it under 24 hours of light and do everything you can to extend your time to root (i.e. trim fan leaves, use humidity dome, rooting gel, etc.) since I imagine it would take some time.

I would also try to take the clone from lower on the plant which has more of the rooting auxins than one would towards the top.

:Namaste:

Word. I took these at 7 days into 12/12 (actually 13/11). They rooted in 14 days, in rock wool that wasn't PHed as is recommended, and no rooting gel.
I like to start on the steep stretch of the learning curve and work backward until I get it down lol.

Back
Top Bottom