A thread for the users of Mars-Hydro lamps

Indeed - Have learned more from 420 mag than from any other source out there

I agree. I knew in a vague sort of way that cannabis was a medicinal plant, but had no idea, really, until I started reading a few threads in our rather comprehensive medicinal section. And that's only part of the forum.

It's funny, I guess. But I didn't set out to join up. I was looking for some specific information (can't remember what, not important). So I did the web search thing, got links to many threads on several different cannabis forums. I was struck by the fact that people here don't flame other members with every third post. Some of the other forums' threads... IDK. Sure, there was information there, but a lot of hate, belittling, et cetera. If I want to get into a fight, lol, it won't be via the Internet :icon_roll . So I started just visiting this forum, as a guest, and reading. Started wishing I could reply to threads, either to thank someone for the knowledge, to get clarification, to ask questions, even occasionally to politely disagree with something that I'd read. I kept doing the "guest" thing for a while.

Then one day I overcame my paranoia (which is extreme - on a good day) enough to join. I have benefited so many times, in so many ways, it'd be impossible to list them all even typing as much as I do ;) . And I hope that I have been able to help a member or two (or even convince a few guests to become members) along the way in the process.

420Magazine.com has become my virtual home. I've said it before, and I'll probably say it again: Cannabis isn't addicting - but this forum sure is!

Since I won the Mars-Hydro COB photo contest, I thought it would be a good idea to collect all the info spread around about this new lamp and it's technology in one post here. So here we go. First the list of parts:

[FONT=&quot]MW 100H 54A[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Cree COB 3590 3000k
Finned radiator[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Cree & Osram chips[/FONT]

The Cree COB gives the white light while Cree and Osram LEDs give red and blue. From what I understand from some DIY COB threads, the Cree 3590 is good stuff. The bin is 300H. I do not know what that means but that's the way it is.

The parts for this lamp totals at 180 USD and as far as I know they plan to sell it for around 250 USD. That leaves 60 USD to pay their staff and development costs, so I have to say the price seems very fair.

It seems all the parts used on this lamp is of the highest possible quality, so this is a real luxury lamp. I bet this will turn out to be a real work-horse!

Specifications:

Spectrum: 450~475nm 620~630nm, 650~660nm, and white
Par Value: 357umol/m2/s
Lumen:8615Lm±5%@AC120V 8508 Lm±5%@AC240V
Power draw: 110W + - 5%@AC120V 108W + - 5%@AC240V
Input Voltage: AC100-240V AC277 for North America only
Ampere: 0.987A/120V 0.46 A/240V
Core Coverage:2.5ft*2.5ft
Max Coverage: 4.5ft*4.5ft
Light Size: 290*220*210MM
Package Size: MM
Net Weight: 3.4KG
Gross Weight: KG
DB: 0dB
Frequency: 50-60HZ

Then we move on to the part I love - The retro design. This lamp looks so cool I would gladly use it as main light in the livingroom or bedroom. I suspect it will be a little bright for that job, and I do have much better things to do with it.

WUMVP_N4_A9CGDU0_DG5.jpg

2ZM_SE_C595U24N_IB9_VE.jpg

31G_5B_2L6_V_5R455.jpg

That's everything I know about the new Mars-Hydro COB. Can't wait to start testing it!

Oh - I also know that the hanging system is made of iron. So it should be solid

Thanks for posting the information. As a matter of fact, bro, thanks for all kinds of stuff; I've been noticing you all over the place, lol, helping and participating. You're liable to end up winning another contest one of these days called Member of the Month. And maybe the plant or nug one, too, especially with what looks like a nice addition to your lighting arsenal.

Can you post a photograph of all the stuff on that big label? Are the COBs and the little LEDs ontrolled by separate switches or just one for all? What shape and size is the footprint when you hang it 24" above the floor? At what height do you have to hang it to observe a strong footprint of... <grabs calculator> 2.9 square feet? Does it make any noise? If so, is it loud enough to be heard in a reasonably quiet environment at >5' away? Does any part of it feel hot when you place your hand against it after it has been in operation for at least an hour? Do you have any way to figure out how many watts the COB is using out of the total consumption? EDIT: Are the lenses below the COBs removable?

From what I understand from some DIY COB threads, the Cree 3590 is good stuff.

It is. It's not brand spanking new technology, but it's good. Err... It's a generation newer than my COBs, lol.

The bin is 300H. I do not know what that means but that's the way it is.

Might try posting in one of the DiY LED threads to see if someone can identify it and explain it's place in the universe.

I bet this will turn out to be a real work-horse!

It does appear to have that look about it.

You might try requesting a spectral chart from Mars-Hydro. Also asking if they've got any charts at a couple different heights that show the projected footprint on a grid, showing how many µmol of light energy are hitting the ground at various points throughout that footprint. They may or may not have such things.

I would basically just totally ignore any specification that's in lumen, since it's not going to be used as a reading lamp (lumen is heavily weighted towards the wavelengths that our eyes perceive as being brightest, so is not applicable to the grow room).

Cheaper than a 150-watt HPS in terms of its monthly electric consumption. I wonder how it will perform compared to one...

I would consider that to be a wildly optimistic theoretical maximum :icon_roll ; it works out to only 17.6 watts/ft², lol. Might work for mild vegetative growth at that coverage area, I suppose.

I would consider that to be a misprint - 5.43 watts/ft² :rofl:.

That's approximately 11.42" × 8.66" × 8.27" in Hillbilly.

And that's approximately 7½ pounds in Hillbilly.

Oops, you already answered my questions about potential noise - it must be silent.

as far as I know they plan to sell it for around 250 USD.

It's approximately $2.27/watt. IDK if that's good or bad, lol. But I guess it gives another way for potential customers to compare products from different manufacturers and I've seen it used from time to time when people discuss LED prices.

I don't actually have the light yet Tortured :) It's so new they didn't even start to send it out to their warehouses. Think they will ship it to me directly from the factory.

Thanks for the kind words. I try to help where I can. I get paid by the state every month to do nothing - also known as being retarded (retired) lol. So kinda have all the time in the world.

I have to admit - I really like winning stuff. And for some reason that seems to be possible here on 420. So many competitions from both the page itself and their sponsors. Really cool community. Just being here and learning is a prize in itself!

Oh - I can answer one of those questions. As far as I know there are no buttons on the lamp meaning all or nothing in regards of which bulbs are lit. I would love to see not buttons but faders or something. That would be cool. But it would of course raise the price of the final product

Oh BTW! I heard you were nominated for member of the month this month. A well deserved nomination. I sincerely hope you win!

We canceled the iron hand for the light,actually no need it.:high-five:
Since I won the Mars-Hydro COB photo contest, I thought it would be a good idea to collect all the info spread around about this new lamp and it's technology in one post here. So here we go. First the list of parts:

[FONT=&quot]MW 100H 54A[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Cree COB 3590 3000k
Finned radiator[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Cree & Osram chips[/FONT]

The Cree COB gives the white light while Cree and Osram LEDs give red and blue. From what I understand from some DIY COB threads, the Cree 3590 is good stuff. The bin is 300H. I do not know what that means but that's the way it is.

The parts for this lamp totals at 180 USD and as far as I know they plan to sell it for around 250 USD. That leaves 60 USD to pay their staff and development costs, so I have to say the price seems very fair.

It seems all the parts used on this lamp is of the highest possible quality, so this is a real luxury lamp. I bet this will turn out to be a real work-horse!

Specifications:

Par Value: 357umol/m2/s
Input Voltage: AC100-240V AC277 for North America only
Ampere: 0.987A/120V 0.46 A/240V
Package Size: MM
Gross Weight: KG
DB: 0dB
Frequency: 50-60HZ

Then we move on to the part I love - The retro design. This lamp looks so cool I would gladly use it as main light in the livingroom or bedroom. I suspect it will be a little bright for that job, and I do have much better things to do with it.

WUMVP_N4_A9CGDU0_DG5.jpg

2ZM_SE_C595U24N_IB9_VE.jpg

31G_5B_2L6_V_5R455.jpg

That's everything I know about the new Mars-Hydro COB. Can't wait to start testing it!

I don't actually have the light yet Tortured :) It's so new they didn't even start to send it out to their warehouses.

Ah. Well, I didn't expect you to immediately go to work answering all my questions anyway, lol. I kind of shotgunned you with them. Just if/when you discover the answers, I'd be interested in what you learn (as will others, I assume). I asked specifically about a 2.9 ft.² footprint because that's the most I'd try flowering with it; I realize that one might be hard to do exactly :icon_roll unless you have a completely adjustable grow space. IIRC, there seems to be a bit of a consensus about 50 watts per square foot of COB lighting being optimum. IDK, so will be interested in seeing how it performs (especially for flowering) in whatever space you can use it.

Will you be doing a grow with it as the sole light source in a space, or combining it with other lights as part of a larger grow?

Think they will ship it to me directly from the factory.

I hope it doesn't get stuck in Customs as things sometimes do. I also hope they don't (for whatever reason) try to charge you duties on it. Hopefully, it'll sail right through and be in your hands soon.

Thanks for the kind words.

No less than you deserve, IMHO.

I have to admit - I really like winning stuff.

I'm guessing that there aren't a lot of people who don't :rolleyes3 .

And for some reason that seems to be possible here on 420.

:thumb:

So many competitions from both the page itself and their sponsors. Really cool community. Just being here and learning is a prize in itself!

Yes, we have a great forum (and a great forum-owner), great sponsors, and great members.

Oh - I can answer one of those questions. As far as I know there are no buttons on the lamp meaning all or nothing in regards of which bulbs are lit. I would love to see not buttons but faders or something. That would be cool. But it would of course raise the price of the final product

Should be able to solder in a potentiometer pretty easily, I'd think. Maybe to the entire unit, maybe just to the COB. That would undoubtedly void the warranty, of course...

:circle-of-love:I'm sure you are very interested in how the Mars-hydro COB work,soon we will know it.:high-five:
Ah. Well, I didn't expect you to immediately go to work answering all my questions anyway, lol. I kind of shotgunned you with them. Just if/when you discover the answers, I'd be interested in what you learn (as will others, I assume). I asked specifically about a 2.9 ft.² footprint because that's the most I'd try flowering with it; I realize that one might be hard to do exactly :icon_roll unless you have a completely adjustable grow space. IIRC, there seems to be a bit of a consensus about 50 watts per square foot of COB lighting being optimum. IDK, so will be interested in seeing how it performs (especially for flowering) in whatever space you can use it.

Will you be doing a grow with it as the sole light source in a space, or combining it with other lights as part of a larger grow?

I hope it doesn't get stuck in Customs as things sometimes do. I also hope they don't (for whatever reason) try to charge you duties on it. Hopefully, it'll sail right through and be in your hands soon.

No less than you deserve, IMHO.

I'm guessing that there aren't a lot of people who don't :rolleyes3 .

:thumb:

Yes, we have a great forum (and a great forum-owner), great sponsors, and great members.

Should be able to solder in a potentiometer pretty easily, I'd think. Maybe to the entire unit, maybe just to the COB. That would undoubtedly void the warranty, of course...

Does anyone know the name of there new light coming out I am very interested in it but can't research it bc I don't know the name

They have not announced an official name yet. We're all waiting for that

Does anyone know the name of there new light coming out I am very interested in it but can't research it bc I don't know the name

No, it's regular COB with added red and blue diodes on top of that to get full spectrum. It's the product name we do not know yet. We know all the spesifications - just look at earlier posts in this thread for more information

SO this new technology is beyond COB?

:volcano-smiley:
No, it's regular COB with added red and blue diodes on top of that to get full spectrum. It's the product name we do not know yet. We know all the spesifications - just look at earlier posts in this thread for more information

Back
Top Bottom