Advise needed for light purchase

casuallyhobo

Hello everyone.

I am currently growing in a 150cmx150cmx200cm grow tent (5x5 feet) using 2 Vipraspector reflector 900 lights that has served me well for the last couple of years, but i am planning on upgrading the lights in a month or so, and despite spending countless hours trying to figure this out, im honestly not getting closer to an answer.

I am planning on running 4 plants per grow in 20L (5.2 gallon) smart pots.

I was originally looking at getting 2x ES300 V3 lights, but these are a lot more expensive than i would like to shell out, and so i started looking at other brands such as HLG with their 650RSPEC, or the Scorpion RSPEC. I was also looking at Spiderfarmer SF7000 as well as their SE7000, and had pretty much decided on either of these until i came across forum posts that recommended buying several small lights (i.e. 3x HLG300) to get better coverage.

I am now once again conflicted on what would be the best way to go, and was hoping someone could offer me some guidance on whether i should get one amped up light, or several lesser ones, as well as possible recommendations for brands/models.

I live in central Europe, so some brands that are only available in the US would not be possible for me.

I would try to find some strip lights that are about 2x2' each and get 4 of them that would totally blanket the 5x5 with light.
Just look for Samsung LM301B diodes or similar.
My space is exactly 1/2 the size of yours at 2.5' X 5' and I have 2 lights
I built mine two years ago but I am sure there are off the shelf versions very similar.
Seems like either Mars or Atrium have strip lights that are about 2x2.

20210504_121431.jpg

Thank you for your input on this. I looked at mars-hydro's site, and it seems it the SP3000 and up that has the samsung LM301B diodes, so 4 of them here in EU would be 1500 Euro, and at that point it would be the same price for 2x ES300V3 lights. Atreum does not seem to be available in Europe.

I was hoping for something a little less costly. I will only be doing 4 plants in the tent, so not likely to occupy the entire space. Would there be something a bit more cost-effective i could do?

Thank you for your input on this. I looked at mars-hydro's site, and it seems it the SP3000 and up that has the samsung LM301B diodes, so 4 of them here in EU would be 1500 Euro, and at that point it would be the same price for 2x ES300V3 lights. Atreum does not seem to be available in Europe.

I was hoping for something a little less costly. I will only be doing 4 plants in the tent, so not likely to occupy the entire space. Would there be something a bit more cost-effective i could do?
Not really, not for LED anyway.
If you're only going to use 1/2 the tent then could buy two lights this year and then get two more whenever or if ever you decide to fill the tent.

As far as the Mars lights the FC3000 would be the better option IMO.
That should be about $640 for two

I prefer going slightly over kill on lights because you can dim them down to exactly what you need, get very even coverage, and lights that you rarely if ever need to burn full blast will run cooler and more efficiently thus last longer.
Also as the years pass and the diodes lose a few % of brightness you can just turn them up that extra % to compensate.

FC3000 uses LM301D diodes. I dont know how much difference that would make though.

Would perhaps 2 or 3 x Spider farmer SF2000 be a good option? I can see they are available for 271euro each which is pretty decent, and they also have IR chips on them which seems like an added benefit.

They run pretty hot spider farmers.Woud not be my first choice. FC3000 has samsung diodes last i checked the
fc-e3000 has the osram.Unless they have changed things up.I would vote stick with 2 fc3000 take the drivers
of less heat 600 watt you can move around and just use one when needed.

From what i can tell my best bet (cost wise) would be 2 x FC3000 or 2x FCE3000 (these have UV lights as well, and are for some reason 30 euro cheaper per light). The TSL 2000 seems to have a worse spectrum compared to them.

The issue im facing is that im in the EU, and the FC(E)3000 does not seem to be available here yet (listed as pre order), and there is not any indication from what i can see when they will be available. If anyone has any info on that i would be grateful. Im starting my next grow in a few weeks, so would be wanting a new light before that.

In regards to that im still wondering if 2x Spider Farmer SF2000's wouldnt be a better option. It was mentioned that they tend to run hot, but they also have detachable drivers, so i would be able to place the drivers outside of the tent to mitigate that (again, if anyone has experience with this and can tell me if this is a decent option, i would be grateful).

Im also all for any other recomendations, but keep in mind that im located in Europe, so a lot of suppliers are not available here which is why i mainly was looking at Spider Farmer and HLG with Mars-Hydro being another option, but not having anything i would like available at the moment.

there in stock on the UK site guess its just EU.Again i would take fc3000 x2 or the vipar xs2000 x2.Before
i bought spider farmers but thats me im sure there good lights well i known they are my friend has one
but its really hot to touch unlike me xs2000 or the fc3000 i own.

I have sent an email to Mars-Hydro asking when they would be back in stock as i think i will be going with them. Guess ill have to wait and hope for a positive answer. I also looked at the XS2000 as you suggested, but they dont have removable drivers, so the extra heat output would be a downside.

I am a little bit conflicted on whether i should go for the FC3000 or the FC-E3000 now though. I can see that the FC-E models do not have samsung diodes, but they are claiming the BridgeLux diodes they are using on the FCE models are just as good and have 230lm/w compared to the samsung ones which has 220lm/w. They also have added UV lights which is not present in the FC series.

If anyone could give me an educated answer on this i would be extremely appreciative. I do apologize for asking this many questions, but there is so much conflicting information out there.

Its the samsung chips why the fc3000 is still in so much demand.The BridgeLux chips are new and guess people
trust samsung more even with the better ppfd map and the uv light.Im sure the mars rep on here will be able to
hook you up.I got mine from her she sent over paypal details paid and was sent from EU as uk never had any.

@Mars Hydro i tagged her if anyone can help she will.Also try mars hydro grow light discussion leave a message.
bear in mind they dont work weekends.

Yup the xs2000 do run hotter due to driver but mine still dont get as hot as a spider farmer top. my driver is cooler than the top of my friends spider farmer my driver sits at 49c. the top of the light heat sink 38/9c the top of his farmer is 51c without the driver and thats 100% power btw on both lights and after being on for 18 hours ish.I cant see how these thin lights with small heat sinks will last working at those temps for months/years on end.

Thank you, i really do appreciate all the help you are giving. I will drop a message in mars hydro discussion as well as you suggested and see where it goes.

Lads, do these Spider Farmer SE3000 get as hot as MH FC3000???Any ideas, testing? As to Samsung and BridgeLUX LEDs, thats significant 10lx per unit for such array. The only thing lifespan, samsung datasheet promises around 100k hrs, we need to know exact LED name to compare.

Back
Top Bottom