Afghan - Stealth Grow w/ LED

Re: Afghan,Stealth Grow w/ LED

probably two more weeks in these pots then I'll transplant to larger containers with the permanent soil medium

Can't say enough good things about the GL60. There were 0 reviews on amazon, but I looked at the older models and they have positive reviews. Plenty of vent and cable access, they also socket them in a pretty smart way so light does not leak out. I was hoping the box would hold heat in better than the cabinet, but it actually stays cooler. So I'm going to have to rig up a space heater. It gets cold down there so...Night time temps still aren't much less than 59 deg. I'm not freaking out because these plants aren't that delicate, and I put them in the same category as tomatoes and peppers as far as temperature tolerance. From what I read, actual temperature matters less than night time and day time fluctuation. If I have time, I'm going to try to figure out my super complicated appliance timer, maybe I can rig my space heater to pop on shortly after dark and turn off shortly before day.
The LED seems to be okay. I'm worried because of all the red chips, it has blue ones but the manufacturer recommends you buy a different light if you are getting a veg only light. I was worried that my plants were a bit wee for being at 21 days, especially after looking at some other journals. However these plants are 21 days since the seeds got wet. I'm suspicious that a lot of journals aren't 100% accurate in this regard, or they may only start counting the days once the first true leaves appear. Or they are hydro which I understand speeds up the plants metabolism quite a bit. Watching the How to Grow video on youtube made me feel more confident. My plants are short and stocky and healthy looking, so I'm not gonna sweat it.
People on forums seem really impressed with products with psychedelic graphics on the bottles, doesn't impress me that much. I don't believe these plants really need anything special in comparison with other plants. Except the final product will be smoked or eaten, which is always something one should think about. My soil mix does contain some Expert, and Miracle Grow, soils. I'm sure these aren't what one would call organic. So I'm not a purest in that regard. I have no intention of adding any MG to my grow, I'm only going to use AZOMITE, guano, and bone meal. Unless there is a nutrient deficiency. Then I may use some hydrolized fish. I also toss in some soil innoculant for micro organisms.
Looking at peoples grows, i can't help but notice a lot of nutrient burns and stressed out plants. I'm no pot growing expert, but I am an avid gardener. I think 24 hour lighting is a bad idea. I'm not in the opinion that it is simply a waste of electricity, I believe it is bad for the plants themselves. No gardeners believe that any plant needs 24 hours of light. Living organisms use the night time to rebuild and rest. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.
One thing I've seen online is growers who exfoliate their plants. I've seen some results and I think there is some merit to this. Anyway , getting very impatient. Please grow faster!

Can't say enough good things about the GL60. There were 0 reviews on amazon, but I looked at the older models and they have positive reviews. Plenty of vent and cable access, they also socket them in a pretty smart way so light does not leak out. I was hoping the box would hold heat in better than the cabinet, but it actually stays cooler. So I'm going to have to rig up a space heater. It gets cold down there so...Night time temps still aren't much less than 59 deg. I'm not freaking out because these plants aren't that delicate, and I put them in the same category as tomatoes and peppers as far as temperature tolerance. From what I read, actual temperature matters less than night time and day time fluctuation. If I have time, I'm going to try to figure out my super complicated appliance timer, maybe I can rig my space heater to pop on shortly after dark and turn off shortly before day.
The LED seems to be okay. I'm worried because of all the red chips, it has blue ones but the manufacturer recommends you buy a different light if you are getting a veg only light. I was worried that my plants were a bit wee for being at 21 days, especially after looking at some other journals. However these plants are 21 days since the seeds got wet. I'm suspicious that a lot of journals aren't 100% accurate in this regard, or they may only start counting the days once the first true leaves appear. Or they are hydro which I understand speeds up the plants metabolism quite a bit. Watching the How to Grow video on youtube made me feel more confident. My plants are short and stocky and healthy looking, so I'm not gonna sweat it.
People on forums seem really impressed with products with psychedelic graphics on the bottles, doesn't impress me that much. I don't believe these plants really need anything special in comparison with other plants. Except the final product will be smoked or eaten, which is always something one should think about. My soil mix does contain some Expert, and Miracle Grow, soils. I'm sure these aren't what one would call organic. So I'm not a purest in that regard. I have no intention of adding any MG to my grow, I'm only going to use AZOMITE, guano, and bone meal. Unless there is a nutrient deficiency. Then I may use some hydrolized fish. I also toss in some soil innoculant for micro organisms.
Looking at peoples grows, i can't help but notice a lot of nutrient burns and stressed out plants. I'm no pot growing expert, but I am an avid gardener. I think 24 hour lighting is a bad idea. I'm not in the opinion that it is simply a waste of electricity, I believe it is bad for the plants themselves. No gardeners believe that any plant needs 24 hours of light. Living organisms use the night time to rebuild and rest. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.
One thing I've seen online is growers who exfoliate their plants. I've seen some results and I think there is some merit to this. Anyway , getting very impatient. Please grow faster!

I'm with you bro, if ya don't say exactly when the seed hit the towell, how do ya know how long ot took!

I'm raising my lights quite a bit. I see a couple leaf abnormalities, the one on top and the single lobe on the bottom right. This may be an inbreeding thing, who knows? was hoping those full leaves would be up and out by today, oh well. Probably because I have the temp. too low?
2012-12-15_11-26-59_885.jpg

I know people always wonder if they are getting what they're getting from the seed banks, but these definitely are showing some strong Indica traits.

its not a matter of what they need to finish its about what they need to finish at they're max potential,im speaking from personal experience when I say that they give back what you put into them bro. you can put a plant in plain old potting soil veg it for a month and flower it using $5 shults nutes from walmart but you wont be happy with the results.thats what this forum is all about imo, educating ourselves on the best way to get the most out of our girls and making some friends along the way:)

I'm going to define the end of the seedling stage as when the seedling stem sheds off. I'm sure I'm not the first person to say this, but I think it's as good of a definition as any. Time to transplant.

2012-12-20_09-17-46_703.jpg

I actually have plenty of pots around I can use. But I can re purpose these coffee canisters. They have an easy grip handle, are a good size for my needs, and the lids can be used as a drip trey. Drainage holes can be added with a soldiering iron.

2012-12-20_09-13-51_737.jpg

I actually have plenty of pots around I can use. But I can re purpose these coffee canisters. They have an easy grip handle, are a good size for my needs, and the lids can be used as a drip trey. Drainage holes can be added with a soldiering iron.

2012-12-20_09-13-51_737.jpg

Those work good, I used em and had to cut em off to transplant, only drawback.

I was worried that the roots would be underdeveloped, and the medium would crumble in my hands. These roots are fully formed. You can tell they were binding up. I like how you can see how the roots shot through the vermiculite and dipped into the rich potting soil in the bottom.

2012-12-20_09-23-53_40.jpg
2012-12-20_09-23-58_716.jpg
2012-12-20_09-21-33_417.jpg

Perlite, vermiculite,potting soil,bone meal, guano, peat, desert sand, worm castings, azomite, moistened with very weak solution of Hydrolyzed Fish guts and H20 . Mixture has been sitting in a bin for a couple weeks to get happy.

2012-12-20_09-20-39_574.jpg

I had them about 14 inches away for awhile, then I moved them further way because I thought the plants were getting lazy. After a couple of days I moved them closer, maybe 18 inches or so. If I don't like their stretch I'll scoot them closer.

I think I'm going to time for flowering on new years day. I'm sure that is way early, but I don't want to end up with giant plants with not enough space or light

Back
Top Bottom