Antics CFL Grow 2014

Did you notice difference when smoked the 2 med gom?
What do you suggest?

Thanks for any help..

Ok I'm going to try the 2nd harvest now. Cure time was only about 5 days so far, but Pablo is rushing me lol.

So this is what we're using, my bowl, and this small bud here.

2014-06-20_17-53-55_951.jpg

I have my bowl and the lid nearby for size reference. This is tiny. So let's see what happens!

And away we go! I'll post updates as I feel them :)
And since I found this funny chart on someones uploads here, I'll refer to it during my testing.
86b5d0_911673.gif

Well first thing I notice is taste, very very piney right now. but not too bad. I took one small puff, and 1 minute later I definitely feel it. I'd say the aftertaste is piney with subtle floral hints.

I'm at about a solid #2 right now.
It's been about 5 minutes, and I think I'm pretty leveled out here, so I'll take another hit and see where we go from here.

I can't put my finger on it.. something tastes really good in the smoke, I'm having a hard time resisting the urge to blow some out of my nose to smell and taste it again. I really hope this cure comes out better than the first, the flavors I'm seeing now are really exciting. I've always just smoked unknown strain bagweed, so this is a nice treat for me. It's not as harsh (but could be smoother!). This hit was a little longer than the first, and It almost instantly put me up to a 3.5. I'm feeling all the sensations in #4, but very very lightly.

There should be 1 or 2 little hits left on that small bud, so I'll finish it off and see where that small bud takes me.

Another hit like the last one. And I'm holding each hit maybe 5-10 seconds. I'm also taking VERY small hits to make sure I don't cough, since there's so little of this bud to test lol.

About a 4.5 now. Still not much of a change in food craving. Not staring into space either. I have moments where I look around and look at something for a few seconds, but nothing really abnormal. I feel extremely relaxed. I can feel my heartbeat and pulse when I sit still, and sit quietly, and it's kind of soothing. Simple things seem satisfying, like taking a deep breath. Or even just the cool freshness of air, as I breathe in through my nose.

It's mostly ash now, but I'm going to finish it off and make sure it's completely spent.

Alright there wasn't much left at all. So let's count it as 3 small hits total.

30 minutes after starting and I feel about a #4 now. Still only small cravings, I just ended up staring into space for a few minutes while staring at the trichome pic above, still just as relaxed, but no constant daze.

It's honestly really, really enjoyable. I can't wait to see if my cure works out good, and see how it tastes then. Because the flavors I got after 5 days were very pleasant. The way I feel right now, if you stopped by my house right now, I'd gladly smoke another with you.

I definitely prefer the second harvest. Which was 83 days, and the first harvest was 73 or 74 days.
The flavor is much better, it smelled nicer, and I can use about 4 times LESS to get the same effects. This is definitely where is should be in terms of potency, and I think the early harvest, and/or bad dry/cure on the first harvest weakened the potency.

When I harvested, I didn't see an amber trichome in every microscope view, but for every 2-3 views of different buds, I would see 1 or 2 amber trichomes in the next view. Hopefully that gives you a better idea. It's impossible to count trichomes lol..

And where is your grow journal? Come on man! Show off your hard work!

I'm using a microscope for the trichomes and the plant is under a 250w hps.

IMG_097425.JPG

What do you suggest?

Thanks for any help..

You need a 30x jewelers loupe to see the trichomes and judge when to harvest. Most people harvest from 5%-30% amber trichomes. Harvest at 5%-15% amber trichomes for a "head high" energetic effect and harvest at 30%-50% amber trichomes for a "body stone" sedative effect strain dependent.

When dried, you lose ABOUT 75% of the weight, but this number will vary with strains, growing environment, etc..

You'll also lose some weight when you remove the buds from the stems, and will probably be looking at between 8-16g when dry and smokable.

That's one hell of a cola too, I want to see you make a grow journal next time so I can see how you do it! Nice job!

Antics,

I strongly recommend you to swap for a HPS bulb. It's not sooo hot, and not so difficult to manage. It gives much better results!!
I'm using some king of homemade cooltube, and so far the temperature was under control...

I'm waiting for some CBD Skunk Haze seeds to arrive, then I'll start a journal.
Thanks for share! :thumb:

hot bulbs aren't for everyone. i know I'll never have one but the zealots are everywhere lol

I'd love to upgrade to LED but haven't got the vertical space :(

Yeah for me the limiting factor right now is budget. I know I can find an LED grow light anywhere, and cheap. But I prefer to buy quality over quantity, and the ones that work, cost more than the cheapos.

However I never even considered vertical space.. hopefully a closet ceiling is high enough, if not LEDs wont work for me either.

my grow area is 4' 7" in total. the light rigging costs a foot leaving 3' 7" for actual growing minus 7" for the pots means that the plant can be no more than a foot and a half before i flip. an LED would cost me 14 inches not even including the unit itself.

Well, I'm using LEDs, for the first time mind you, in a 5' tall grow box. It has 3 watt diodes, which I think are about the maximum wattage I can use in such a limited space. I've not had any issues during vegging but, as you stated, after the pots and light rigging, I'm left with 3' of height with which to flower. I'm topping to reduce overall height which should help some. I'm hoping that the ladies can withstand the LEDs closer during flowering than during vegging. I guess I will see over the next two months or so.

Ok let's wrap this one up with a smell, taste, smoke report to the best of my abilities on this 2nd harvest.
We've been curing since June 16.

Humidity kept keeping up on me throughout the cure to about 70%, and after making a topic and learning I had to let them air dry for a tiny bit longer (Thanks ColoradoHigh and 420Motoco!) I have been holding a steady 62-64% RH in the curing jar since June 24.

We have a total of about 2.5 weeks curing time. The curing will continue after this, we're just cracking it open to finish off this grow journal!

Now remember my prior Cannabis use was always bag weed. No strain known, and every time I bought it, no matter who I bought from, or which of my friends had any Cannabis, it always smelled the same. And it's been over a decade since I've smelled it, so to go from memory now to describe that would likely be very inaccurate.

So let's open my jar!

First we're at 64% RH right now. And it smells like fresh, sweet pine. Not much of an earthy aroma. Agitating the buds in the jar brings out a strong skunky smell that blends really nice into the fresh sweet pine smell. It's very fragrant, and I could easily see a nice cola sitting in a nice bouquet among some other flowers. Very pleasant and I could bury my face in the jar for hours.

For any rock/metal music fans out there, I'll be listening to Parkway Drive - Carrion, Parkway Drive - The River, and Parkway Drive - Dark Days during this report/smoke, and will add songs if I run out of music later on :rollit:

Smoking will be done with my nice clean bong, since my pipe needs a cleaning, and I need the cleanest flavors possible here.

I've also selected a fairly big round nug, that fills up about 75% of the bowl.

Wow.. the flavor is a little earthy at first, but a fresh pine flavor comes in right afterwards. Smelling the little bits of smoke coming out of the bong, it's a blend of skunk/pine scents, but stronger skunk. Definitely more potent than my first harvest. One hit and you're instantly mellowed a bit, relaxed, I feel really social right now too. Anyone up for finishing this bowl with me?

Eyelids a little heavier, but still alert.

Yeah the taste is just out of this world, at least for me and my limited experience. It tastes better than any bag weed I ever had. It's just smooth sweet pine all the way. This would go great with your favorite hot beverage, tea would be best for the herbal compliments, but I have coffee, so we'll work with that :)

How do I take my coffee? The same way I like my women. Bitter and murky. :) Actually, In the morning, cream and sugar. After 12 noon, I prefer it black. Don't ask me why, I don't know.

Overall this strain didn't grow too bad for me, and even though each harvest was a little over a 1/4, I'd still grow it again just for the flavors and the smooth smoke. And the smell seems much stronger than the previous harvest as well.

New song: Miss May I - Masses of a Dying Breed

Music is much more enjoyable now, every note fits perfectly together. Mind you I'm not completely fried or anything, I'd say I'm in a state where I am completely enjoying life, and everything around me. No couchlock at all. I could probably smoke with my worst enemy right now.

Song: Here Comes the Kraken - idrugs

I'd say the taste is definitely more enjoyable than the smell of the smoke, but not by much. And this was a lot for me, since my tolerance is still pretty low. But after this I have a Cannabis documentary I'll be watching on Youtube, so I'm feeling pretty good about tonight.

It seemed to burn really evenly and nice for me too, and it's all gone now. I didn't get a really bad stale spot on the bud.. you know towards the end of a bowl where the taste seems to start to get a little bitter? I didn't experience that at all.

I'd give this a solid 7 out of 10. It could probably be even better with a more experienced grower. This strain is staying on my list. The CBD content is worth a spot alone, but the fact that the smell and taste are so incredible holds a solid spot on the list.

Song: Danzig - Mother

In closing.. Thank you all for sharing my first grow. I had a bunch of ups and downs, and to say I learned a lot would be an understatement. Without these forums, and all the information here, and the helpful members we have, there's no way I could have had such a successful first grow.

And Pablo, Equanimity... I think you're both going to enjoy the flavors on this one :rollit:

Grow Journal Complete!

Thanks for sharing your grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

In the future, whenever you complete a journal, please use the Report Post feature found at the bottom left of every post, so we can be alerted to move it for you.

Hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom