Antics CFL Grow 2014

Well, I'm using LEDs, for the first time mind you, in a 5' tall grow box. It has 3 watt diodes, which I think are about the maximum wattage I can use in such a limited space. I've not had any issues during vegging but, as you stated, after the pots and light rigging, I'm left with 3' of height with which to flower. I'm topping to reduce overall height which should help some. I'm hoping that the ladies can withstand the LEDs closer during flowering than during vegging. I guess I will see over the next two months or so.

CH, you should be just fine. The top of my last plant was about an inch from my MarsII 1200w and had no ill effects whatsoever. :)

Subscribed. Congratulations on your harvest! Baking Soda has too high of sodium to be used with plants. Vinegar or acetic acid can also be used as pH down. What size is your pipe? I would place the Compact Florescent Lights 5"-6" from your plants. A higher amount of light comes out the side of Compact Florescent Lights. Lumens are a scale of brightness and do not add as you believe they do.

I have to respectfully disagree with your statement about more light comming from the sides of the CFL. I originally placed my CFL's on their side, but can only get my light meter to register low+. After reorientating them to simply hang down, it registered norm+.

I have no way of explaining this, just chiming in with my findings.

Great inspirational journal Antics ... +reps

I have to respectfully disagree with your statement about more light comming from the sides of the CFL. I originally placed my CFL's on their side, but can only get my light meter to register low+. After reorientating them to simply hang down, it registered norm+.

I have no way of explaining this, just chiming in with my findings.

Just as a disclaimer, I do not know if this is also true for the CFL growlights being sold by some shops .. I'm just talking regular 45w household bulbs. (just stumbled on them .. did not know they existed)

Did you know that you can get 300, 500, 800 watt CFL's a 500watter cfl cost $25.00 and uses only 100watts of engery costs (7150 lumens, either spectrum. might consider also no heat issues, could always use the lower wattage cfl's as side lighting. Food for thought, let me know if you want address of company

Did you know that you can get 300, 500, 800 watt CFL's a 500watter cfl cost $25.00 and uses only 100watts of engery costs (7150 lumens, either spectrum. might consider also no heat issues, could always use the lower wattage cfl's as side lighting. Food for thought, let me know if you want address of company

I JUST went over this with you here: Led's
Did you even read anything I wrote? Or are you completely dismissing the information I'm sharing with you? If it's the latter, please let me know why, and I will gladly supply supporting facts for my argument.

Misinformation is a serious problem in regards to Cannabis. We see the rumors and lies all over the internet, and people believe it when they read it. Spreading misinformation about grow equipment will cause further problems for future growers.

There is NO 500w CFL.

Again, let me reiterate that:
THERE IS NO 500 WATT CFL

CFLs are only discussed in terms of their ACTUAL WATTAGE USED.

The 500 watt number is to help people buy a CFL bulb that is similar in brightness to the incandescent bulb they are replacing.

Incandescent bulbs CANNOT grow Cannabis.

That makes the "xxx watt equivalent" number stated on packaging USELESS for our purposes.

I JUST went over this with you here: Led's
Did you even read anything I wrote? Or are you completely dismissing the information I'm sharing with you? If it's the latter, please let me know why, and I will gladly supply supporting facts for my argument.

Misinformation is a serious problem in regards to Cannabis. We see the rumors and lies all over the internet, and people believe it when they read it. Spreading misinformation about grow equipment will cause further problems for future growers.

There is NO 500w CFL.

Again, let me reiterate that:
THERE IS NO 500 WATT CFL

CFLs are only discussed in terms of their ACTUAL WATTAGE USED.

The 500 watt number is to help people buy a CFL bulb that is similar in brightness to the incandescent bulb they are replacing.

Incandescent bulbs CANNOT grow Cannabis.

That makes the "xxx watt equivalent" number stated on packaging USELESS for our purposes.

I was in the middle of writing something like this. maybe not so much of the big red though lol

So yeah, there's those 300W cfls which I've got, big heavy things. they exist in varieties from 150w to 300w in single colours and dual spectrum.

The smaller ones range from about 11w to 105w
That's how much they pull from the wall.
The packaging will say "11w = 40w" and the debate to whether that's true and what situations it applies to is best left for some other time. We can be certain that of these situations, growing pot isn't one of them.

when you're looking for cfls, look out for the lower wattage in listings, as that's what you're getting.

I was in the middle of writing something like this. maybe not so much of the big red though lol

So yeah, there's those 300W cfls which I've got, big heavy things. they exist in varieties from 150w to 300w in single colours and dual spectrum.

The packaging will say "11w = 40w" and the debate to whether that's true and what situations it applies to is best left for some other time. We can be certain that of these situations, growing pot isn't one of them.

when you're looking for cfls, look out for the lower wattage in listings, as that's what you're getting.

LOL I just explained all of this to him in the Led's thread I linked to up there... Not sure if he didn't see/read it, or if he completely ignored me.

Go to 1,000 bulbs .com - they even offer a 800watt CFL grow light and more

Dude. Seriously. For the last time, there is NO 500w or 800w CFL bulb. That number is the incandescent equivalent in BRIGHTNESS ONLY, so people who have a 500 watt incandescent bulb, can replace it with a CFL energy saving bulb with the same brightness as their existing 500 watt incandescent bulb.

That's it. End of story. And I'm not buying bulbs from a non-sponsor website either. Our sponsors probably spend good money to advertise here, and because of them, we have a great place to learn, share, and grow. Without their continued support, 420 Magazine might not be around.

Sponsors get my money first.

Dude. Seriously. For the last time, there is NO 500w or 800w CFL bulb. That number is the incandescent equivalent in BRIGHTNESS ONLY, so people who have a 500 watt incandescent bulb, can replace it with a CFL energy saving bulb with the same brightness as their existing 500 watt incandescent bulb.

That's it. End of story. And I'm not buying bulbs from a non-sponsor website either. Our sponsors probably spend good money to advertise here, and because of them, we have a great place to learn, share, and grow. Without their continued support, 420 Magazine might not be around.

Sponsors get my money first.[/QUOTE Thanks I understand it now -I will take your advice; this seems to be a friendly and helpful site

Thanks I understand it now -I will take your advice; this seems to be a friendly and helpful site

Now that we have that settled, you might want to save up some extra cash for an LED in the future. I have 2 CFL grows done (finishing the last now) and I have an LED light on order from TopLED (One of our sponsors). If you look around the grow journals where people use LED lights, their results are amazing.

And the lights aren't that expensive either.. they start at about $80 for the smaller ones, $104.99 for a 300 watt unit that I bought. And they give you results similar or better than if you were growing with HPS/MH systems. But without the extra heat.

I just bought a chinese LED for my next grow; the sponsors are all well and good but it seems to be cheaper to ship something from china than from the USA. I did get one quote from a sponsor which was like $1000 which, compared to the $100 i spent on it in the end, is a huge difference. I'd love to know where you got a 300w for $104.99

I'll pit it against a 600w hps and see which one comes out on top and whether LED is worth investing in properly. winter is coming though so i'll need the heat generated by the hps and all the cfls.

I just bought a chinese LED for my next grow; the sponsors are all well and good but it seems to be cheaper to ship something from china than from the USA. I did get one quote from a sponsor which was like $1000 which, compared to the $100 i spent on it in the end, is a huge difference. I'd love to know where you got a 300w for $104.99

I'll pit it against a 600w hps and see which one comes out on top and whether LED is worth investing in properly. winter is coming though so i'll need the heat generated by the hps and all the cfls.

TopLED. Old model 100x3. Id link you but im on my phone right now. Cheers

mine is a 50x3, LED wattage is another grey area, see people using meters to figure out actual wattage xrawn from the wall etc.

i find the arguing and misinformation to be a distraction from the pursuit of dense nugnugs lol

edit: just checked topled, they sell one that is almost identical to the one i got. I got mine off Amazon, it had good reviews on there and I've inspected the unit, the 3w leds seem genuine, can't see who makes them though. 6 bands, red, blue, orange, white, infra red and another shade of blue. If it grows something heavy versus the hps i might go all led, it's certainly an attractive prospect. much less maintenance and such.

mine is a 50x3, LED wattage is another grey area, see people using meters to figure out actual wattage xrawn from the wall etc.

i find the arguing and misinformation to be a distraction from the pursuit of dense nugnugs lol

edit: just checked topled, they sell one that is almost identical to the one i got. I got mine off Amazon, it had good reviews on there and I've inspected the unit, the 3w leds seem genuine, can't see who makes them though. 6 bands, red, blue, orange, white, infra red and another shade of blue. If it grows something heavy versus the hps i might go all led, it's certainly an attractive prospect. much less maintenance and such.

I'm going by the specs on their site, since the light is currently being shipped. But I have no way to accurately measure LED output power even after it arrives.
The web site states a draw of 150-170w, and the only indicator of output is the 100x3w rating.

I agree with you, and misinformation killed my first 2 plants lol. So I stopped reading what I find randomly on the net, and stayed here on 420.
With my LED upgrade, if it performs better than CFLS and grows a better plant, and denser nugs, with lower grow room temps than CFLs, it's worth it for me. :)

Back
Top Bottom