Any HVAC pro’s willing to lend their expertise?

Michael Hunt

Growing in a tent, in a semi-tropical climate, almost makes air conditioning a necessity. For obvious reasons, we don't typically set up ac units inside a tent. Adding the need to duct the air into the tent from one of many vents. Bringing us to the current problem. The thermostat for the unit is mounted under the unit’s plastic cover outside the tent, and all the cool air is being ducted into the tent. Making the unit run too much and plunging the temps down too far.

Has anyone ever relocated the thermostat found inside a window or portable air conditioner? Ideally, i’d like to mount ours in the tent with the plants. That way the unit is actually controlling temps inside the tent.

I’ve considered an inkbird controller. But we have a digital ac unit that will reset itself when it’s “unplugged”.

Not really concerned with the fans running or not while the compressor is off. It wont run long enough while on to freeze anything in the unit since it will be cooling a 3x3 tent.

So, with all that being said, has anyone ever done this or am i just over complicating things?

Growing in a tent, in a semi-tropical climate, almost makes air conditioning a necessity. For obvious reasons, we don't typically set up ac units inside a tent. Adding the need to duct the air into the tent from one of many vents. Bringing us to the current problem. The thermostat for the unit is mounted under the unit’s plastic cover outside the tent, and all the cool air is being ducted into the tent. Making the unit run too much and plunging the temps down too far.

Has anyone ever relocated the thermostat found inside a window or portable air conditioner? Ideally, i’d like to mount ours in the tent with the plants. That way the unit is actually controlling temps inside the tent.

I’ve considered an inkbird controller. But we have a digital ac unit that will reset itself when it’s “unplugged”.

Not really concerned with the fans running or not while the compressor is off. It wont run long enough while on to freeze anything in the unit since it will be cooling a 3x3 tent.

So, with all that being said, has anyone ever done this or am i just over complicating things?
Hi Michael,

To be honest I just stuck mine (portable) in the tent, but have you seen Jon's journal where he was tinkering with a window ac up against the bottom of the tent?

Also, my portable AC when unplugged keeps all settings till plugged back in (never tested for very long). So it might also be an idea to see if you can swap the AC for one that will be compatible with an Inkbird?

Cool that tent on the cheap. Doing this kept my 5x10 tent at 77F with no added cost. Worked great.
GEDC4685.JPG

Hi Michael,

To be honest I just stuck mine (portable) in the tent, but have you seen Jon's journal where he was tinkering with a window ac up against the bottom of the tent?

Also, my portable AC when unplugged keeps all settings till plugged back in (never tested for very long). So it might also be an idea to see if you can swap the AC for one that will be compatible with an Inkbird?
We only have a 3x3 or else i’d consider just sitting it in there. Havent tested if it resets after only being unplugged for a short period. Just noticed it was reset after setting the closet back up this week after being unplugged for a few months. Ink bird controllers arent THAT expensive, might just be worth a shot. Thanks @Rexer :passitleft:
Hate to say it, but you may need an electrician, too easy to mess up the unit or cause a fire if you screw-up. Maybe find one that accepts trade (hint, hint).
thanks for the concern @Phytoplankton ive done similar trades in the past for other services rendered. But a project like this doesnt scare me. I built and wired the entire garage this tent lives in so this little t-stat on a portable ac is the least of my concerns. Now wiring in my 240v welding line was a little nerve wrecking. Especially striking that first arc.

Cool that tent on the cheap. Doing this kept my 5x10 tent at 77F with no added cost. Worked great.
GEDC4685.JPG
If our tent was inside, i’d absolutely steal some of the home’s air supply. But that would require some serious modifications to the house to get a duct out to our garage. Thanks for chiming in though @Buds Buddy :high-five:

I’ve come to the conclusion that i was over complicating this whole idea. An Inkbird controller did the trick. Turns out our ac doesnt reset after being unplugged for the amount of time it takes for the inkbird to trigger it again. Keeps the tent between 74.5* and 79*, has wifi to monitor from afar, and the ac runs significantly less time throughout the day reducing energy consumption. All in all, it was a very cost effective solution and now i get an alarm on my phone if the ac doesnt come back on and the temps climb above 85*.

To anyone and everyone using air conditioning from a portable or window unit mounted OUTSIDE the tent. Spare yourself the headache and pick up a temp controller of some kind.

Thank you to everyone who offered their input :thanks:

You definitely did the right thing putting the sensor for the t-stat in the tent....that is where you want it to be. The only other thing I can offer is that you really want to size an AC unit for the size of room to be cooled. AC units work best when they are not cycled on and off a lot, and your plants would appreciate an environment that isn't constantly fluctuating up and down 5 degrees. But I doubt that anyone manufactures an ac unit that is sized small enough for a tent grow :) So to sum it up for anyone else thinking of doing the same thing, get the smallest AC unit you can find and aim for it to run 75%-90% of the time to maintain your desired temps if possible.

Back
Top Bottom