Any idea what's up with these seedlings?

it's hydro rules. hit that perlite with dead steady 5.8 ph and nothing else.
most hydro nute systems will hit a serious fail in mid veg to flower if they don't get a steady ph.
Thanks for the reply bluter, I was hoping you would see the post and eventually reply as I know you grow in perlite.
My pH has been at 6 more or less the entire time but will drop it to 5.8 next feeding. Everything seems to be fine at the moment though, no dodgy looking leaves or discolouration yet.

Thanks again for replying

they are very similar. same nutes, same ph rules, same accelerated rate of development.
What I have noticed with perlite is how fast the roots grow in it. When I transplanted the plants the roots were massive and had almost filled the entire pot within a week of being transplanted from the smaller pots.
Because of all the faffing about at the beginning I had to transplant them twice otherwise I would have only transplanted the once.

It really depends on the fertilizer. With the one I’m currently using (MC), I can vary from 5.5 to 6.5 and in fact, during veg, I mix low and let it swing up so as to get nutrient uptake across the range. Bud most will recommend a narrower range, like 5.8 to 6.2

What's MC ?

Edit: I understand its fertiliser but what brand.
Sorry I should have made that clearer.

it's mega crop. it's a dry nute you mix yourself. similar to jacks.
i use MC myself. it's a very straightforward simple nute.

the secondary nutes in MC are chelated different than most salt based nutes. a lot of people play loose with the ph but you should still ph an MC grow. MC is still prone to ph issues at the extremes.

it's mega crop. it's a dry nute you mix yourself. similar to jacks.
i use MC myself. it's a very straightforward simple nute.

the secondary nutes in MC are chelated different than most salt based nutes. a lot of people play loose with the ph but you should still ph an MC grow. MC is still prone to ph issues at the extremes.

Just looked it up to see if it's available in the UK. There's a part A. 5-12-26 which is cheap enough, they don't seem to have the part B though and then there is another MC 9-6-17 9.9Kg but it's expensive at £96.82 gbp.

I take it that you just mix it up with water.
I've never used Jack's either. A lot of stuff thays available in the US or Canada isn't available in the UK and importing it costs a fair bit.

What's MC ?

Edit: I understand its fertiliser but what brand.
Sorry I should have made that clearer.
MegaCrop

If one looks at the typical graphic showing uptake ranges for various elemental nutrients, it’s apparent that some small swings in pH are probably beneficial. I have found it to be so.
55A0FCD9-5DCC-4781-A7AC-504AB12A236A.jpeg

MegaCrop

If one looks at the typical graphic showing uptake ranges for various elemental nutrients, it’s apparent that some small swings in pH are probably beneficial. I have found it to be so.
55A0FCD9-5DCC-4781-A7AC-504AB12A236A.jpeg

Thanks for the post FelipeBlu.

If I'm reading that chart properly, with hydro
Phosphorous is only available between 5.8 and 7. Calcium between 5.8 and 5. Magnesium between 5.8 and 9 etc

I understand it says the range for hydro is between 5.5 and 6.1.

I just wanted to know if I'm reading the chart properly.

Thanks again

I bought my 10kg (of version 1) in 2018. I am almost out. But I use it for all my outdoor container plants. And last year’s grow went through a lot.

The stuff I looked at was the 1 part complete premium NPK formula.

If 10kg would last me a good few grows I would definitely be up for giving it a try since a lot more people on here will use that over the likes of canna which is more readily used in UK, EU so could give better advice regarding how much to use etc.

The canna part A and part B cost me around £90 for 5L of both parts and I don't think even that would last me as long.
Maybe I'll change my nutrients once the canna runs out

i been running it for about 3 yrs on a 10kg bag as well.
the two part is aimed at rdwc. the one part is generally good for everything else.

it's about the most cost effective nute i've run.

i been running it for about 3 yrs on a 10kg bag as well.
the two part is aimed at rdwc. the one part is generally good for everything else.

it's about the most cost effective nute i've run.

1 × 10Kg that would last 2 or 3 years for less than £50 sounds good to me.
Is there anything else you would recommend to use along with the 1 part MC nutrients ?

Edit: How many grows have you roughly had from a 10Kg bag and roughly how many plants.

Thanks again

Thanks for the post FelipeBlu.

If I'm reading that chart properly, with hydro
Phosphorous is only available between 5.8 and 7. Calcium between 5.8 and 5. Magnesium between 5.8 and 9 etc

I understand it says the range for hydro is between 5.5 and 6.1.

I just wanted to know if I'm reading the chart properly.

Thanks again
Looks right. The way I look at it is no one really knows exactly what their pH is - even if you calibrate every time. And if the upper range of a nutrient peters out around 5.8, going to 5.6 once in a while can’t hurt.
After all, if an electron doesn’t choose a path unless it’s being watched..

Is there anything else you would recommend to use along with the 1 part MC nutrients ?

Edit: How many grows have you roughly had from a 10Kg bag and roughly how many plants.

Thanks again
You can mix 2000 gallons at 5g/gal, which is close to the maximum dose during flowering (5.5 - 6g/gal). That’s probably enough for at least 10 grows of 4 to 6 indoor plants.

i sometimes run a little cal mag, and just started on their pk booster as well on the last grow - bud explosion (BE)

you really need to get a few grows in on just MC alone before adding boosters. it runs real hot and can somtimes be close to a handful in flower. it's meant to be run alone start to finish.

it's cheap and super effective.

i gotta be in the 40 - 50 plant range right now but i only grow them about 3ft or so by finish.

Looks right. The way I look at it is no one really knows exactly what their pH is - even if you calibrate every time. And if the upper range of a nutrient peters out around 5.8, going to 5.6 once in a while can’t hurt.

i'm a touch lazy on ph in MC, but i pay attention. greenleaf's own lit dances around mentioning it.

pesky buggers ...

ph usually drifts up through the range. you catch about lower to middle on the most crucial stuff and roll your way up as they feed.

You can mix 2000 gallons at 5g/gal, which is close to the maximum dose during flowering (5.5 - 6g/gal). That’s probably enough for at least 10 grows of 4 to 6 indoor plants.

i'm 3 yrs in and only about half way through the bag. we mix some for the outdoor veg garden as well.

I'm guessing that with having a reservoir at the bottom of the buckets my plants are in now the pH would fluctuate over the period of a few days between feeds ?

@bluter
Not sure if this is why you mention using a pH of 5.8 and nothing else but looking at that chart FelipeBlu posted it would make sense that one would want their pH in the middle if the pH range for hydro is between 6.1 and 5.5. Starting in the middle allows for some fluctuation either up or down.

Thanks for that. I think my next lot of nutrients will be megacrop.
I still have a fair amount of the canna at the moment but when I run out I'll change to MC.

i sometimes run a little cal mag, and just started on their pk booster as well on the last grow - bud explosion (BE)

you really need to get a few grows in on just MC alone before adding boosters. it runs real hot and can somtimes be close to a handful in flower. it's meant to be run alone start to finish.

it's cheap and super effective.

i gotta be in the 40 - 50 plant range right now but i only grow them about 3ft or so by finish.

i'm a touch lazy on ph in MC, but i pay attention. greenleaf's own lit dances around mentioning it.

pesky buggers ...

ph usually drifts up through the range. you catch about lower to middle on the most crucial stuff and roll your way up as they feed.

i'm 3 yrs in and only about half way through the bag. we mix some for the outdoor veg garden as well.

Thanks for the reply bluter.

I'm sure if I have any questions or issues with using the MC nutrients there will be a lot more info and help on here compared to the nutrients that I'm using now. I won't be using it for the next few grows though as I still have a fair bit of the canna A and b to go through but I doubt it will last as long as the 10kg MC stuff.

That last lot of nutrients I used the AN nutes didn't last long and we're really expensive.
I probably used more than I was meant to and a lot was wasted in run off.

Back
Top Bottom