Anyone Ever Seen this Kind of crazy Foxtailing?

Deketx

This is a Riley OG × Alpujarenna that ended up being a semi-auto. It needed 5-6 "nights" to get her to flower. She's at 7 weeks and most pistils are orange, but trichomes are mostly cloudy with little amber. She's throwing crazy shoots from the top and most the "buds" are all larfy and Foxtailing. Genetic freak? Should I just cut her and call it a loss?

20201011_235754.jpg
20201011_235732.jpg
20201009_231348.jpg
20201009_231331.jpg
20201009_231325.jpg

Your plants are re-vegging, those "crazy shoots" are a telltale sign, those are single leaves, and they do that when they're getting over 12 hours of light after being in flower

Your plants are re-vegging, those "crazy shoots" are a telltale sign, those are single leaves, and they do that when they're getting over 12 hours of light after being in flower
i am agreeing with MB , looks very very like it

Not foxtail at all - total reveg, the single blade leaves are indicative of photoperiods stress. Too many lights ON hours or light leaks into grow space. Not a semi- auto no such thing - thats a full on photoperiod. Whats your lighting schedule? Photos must have 12 hour dark period every day.... autos will flower regardless of light hours

Thanks guys. Interesting I guess I'll chop her and chalk it up to a learning experience.

Not foxtail at all - total reveg, the single blade leaves are indicative of photoperiods stress. Too many lights ON hours or light leaks into grow space. Not a semi- auto no such thing - thats a full on photoperiod. Whats your lighting schedule? Photos must have 12 hour dark period every day.... autos will flower regardless of light hours

She has most the genetics my last plant did. And that plant had to go into the 12 and 12 to start the flowering. After about 6-7 days if I remember correctly, she started to flower and finished flowering under 24 hrs of light. So I called it a semi auto since she had to be " kick started" into flowering and the hours of light didn't make a difference after.
This plant did the same. About a week of 12 and 12 and flowering started. She's been under 24 hrs of light since.

Deketx - apologies I didn’t mean to sound like a know it all there.

Ok no worries! It’s my understanding that once buds are fully set the light hours can go more than 12.... but you also risk the reveg that’s why the 12/12 is kind of written in stone.

you don’t have to kill her - if you need that for harvest just flip back to 12/12 and let her go plus now that’s it’s flowered and revegged it would be a monster cropped bush

on the bud set... I think you need to allow 14 to 21 days on most strains (just cause pistils popped don’t mean shite in big scheme... how well did they pop, how long etc rehetorical) and then after that you can crank to more light hours but I’m sure there are limits - maybe try 14/10 or 18/6 instead of 24/0

By the way I think what you are doing is cool, I’ve done cursory glance at this but needed the harvest and didn’t have the beans just to play with. So please don’t take this as a negative. I read that exceeding 12 hours lights on in flower stuff from a post dropped by TheCelt and not sure of his source but it sounded legit plus it’s TheCelt he don’t just drop junk down

maybe the Prof or Mocha have more intel

Thanks guys. Interesting I guess I'll chop her and chalk it up to a learning experience.

She has most the genetics my last plant did. And that plant had to go into the 12 and 12 to start the flowering. After about 6-7 days if I remember correctly, she started to flower and finished flowering under 24 hrs of light. So I called it a semi auto since she had to be " kick started" into flowering and the hours of light didn't make a difference after.
This plant did the same. About a week of 12 and 12 and flowering started. She's been under 24 hrs of light since.
Hey if you have the patience and room for that particular plant you can keep it going in flower and still produce some good stuff! In my opinion and experience you will just have some good sleepy weed but still good stuff to keep around for a back up if you ever need to run to the reserve jars! Reasons why you will get sleepy weed is the bud that’s left of the plant is going to amber up quite nicely once the new bud growth gets to ripe mode. But if you don’t have the time and place to put her to finish out while you bring in more approachable plants that are worth the time to grow to full potential, then it might be best to start fresh my friend. Because reveging will take a lot of time and extra care because you will eventually have to cut out all them older leaves to bring in the new growth that will be coming in. I always try to encourage being experimental because you never know you could create something that’s stronger than most lol! Good luck my friend and keep the good joints rolling!!

Hey if you have the patience and room for that particular plant you can keep it going in flower and still produce some good stuff! In my opinion and experience you will just have some good sleepy weed but still good stuff to keep around for a back up if you ever need to run to the reserve jars! Reasons why you will get sleepy weed is the bud that’s left of the plant is going to amber up quite nicely once the new bud growth gets to ripe mode. But if you don’t have the time and place to put her to finish out while you bring in more approachable plants that are worth the time to grow to full potential, then it might be best to start fresh my friend. Because reveging will take a lot of time and extra care because you will eventually have to cut out all them older leaves to bring in the new growth that will be coming in. I always try to encourage being experimental because you never know you could create something that’s stronger than most lol! Good luck my friend and keep the good joints rolling!!

I think I'm going to chop her. She's just too big to keep around, and I'm planning on starting my next grow this month. As far as buds go her " sister" plant gave me 12 quart sized mason jars worth to go along with the 12 other mason jars from the other plants from the last grow. I'm flush, lol .
There is useable flower on her but it's super sativa foxtail like flower. So trimming is a bitch and takes forever. I hate smoking leaf unless it's covered in trichomes, and this strain doesn't do that. So its a trim fest.
While we're at it any suggestions on autos to try? Grown a lot of Mephisto and Dinafem genetics, I'm looking for some new stuff to try.

IF its an AUTO why are you pushing it in 12/12? Just light it up 18/6 if it don't flower in say 3-4 weeks its not an AUTO its photoperiod.

When you switch lighting on a photoperiod plant to 12/12 then switch it back like you did you get RE-VEG as mentioned.

IF it was an AUTO it would just flower as normal. Its a photo-period plant.

If you arent sure about this and are guessing, my suggestion is to run Photo period plants and quit messing with AUTO's. The genetics are better in the photo period plants.

I think I'm going to chop her. She's just too big to keep around, and I'm planning on starting my next grow this month. As far as buds go her " sister" plant gave me 12 quart sized mason jars worth to go along with the 12 other mason jars from the other plants from the last grow. I'm flush, lol .
There is useable flower on her but it's super sativa foxtail like flower. So trimming is a bitch and takes forever. I hate smoking leaf unless it's covered in trichomes, and this strain doesn't do that. So its a trim fest.
While we're at it any suggestions on autos to try? Grown a lot of Mephisto and Dinafem genetics, I'm looking for some new stuff to try.
So in your opinion..is growing sativa much more finicky and weird looking compared to indica? My second grow only..have 2 sativa hybrid and 2 indica trying to go..went thru stress when I got em ..reveg I do beleive.....

IF its an AUTO why are you pushing it in 12/12? Just light it up 18/6 if it don't flower in say 3-4 weeks its not an AUTO its photoperiod.

When you switch lighting on a photoperiod plant to 12/12 then switch it back like you did you get RE-VEG as mentioned.

IF it was an AUTO it would just flower as normal. Its a photo-period plant.

If you arent sure about this and are guessing, my suggestion is to run Photo period plants and quit messing with AUTO's. The genetics are better in the photo period plants.

Because the last plant had to be put into 12 and 12 to get it going. It gave me a large harvest with no reveg. So I assumed that this one needed the same thing. The only thing diff is this one probably had slightly diff genetics.

I get my seeds from a friend that makes all his own crosses. These last two plants came from the random auto bag of seeds he sent with the others. They got mixed up so its a crap shoot, lol. I've grown 4. Two grew perfectly, typical indica dominant autos, one had to be forced and then grew massive, this last one acted and looked a lot like the 3rd but didn't finish like it.

Also can't run photos the way I'm set up right now. One day though I will.

It doesnt sound like theyre autos, you can bud a photo whenever youd like, its up to you how long youd like to veg it for.
Ive never heard of anyone having to force an auto to flower, its an auto for a reason. The reason it flowered at 12/12 is because its a photo, not an autoflower.
The fact that you had to "force" the first one aswell seals the deal. Photos

This is the first plant. The reason this plant is so big is because she wouldn't flower and veged for 7 weeks. Then she got some 12 and 12 days and she started to flower. I kept her at 24 hrs of light finishing until harvest. If she was a photo I don't think she would have finished up flowering with 24 hours of light.
This plant re-vegging might just be some bad genetics?

20200813_233609.jpg

Plants can grow all sorts of ways. Confusing how you're growing.

You cant grow Photoperiod but you can grow AUTO??

Re-veg is normal for plants that are put under the lighting you're doing for photoperiod plants.

I'm not sure why you do it that way??

So if yer running AUTO seeds and its not an AUTO period and you grow it like an AUTO with too much light you get re-veg. Thats normal. Changing lighting after flowering starts, thats not normal unless you wanna re-veg for some reason.

Thats a lot of stress for a plant.

ok not a pro but if the plant has not flowered at 7 weeks that’s your first cue that she is definitely a photoperiod. This plant didn’t begin to flower until flip to 12/12, that’s your second big cue that’s it’s a photoperiod. To the best of my understanding there is no such thing as a semi auto as you claim above - I’m not trying to be a pain or a smart ass either.

Yes I’ve read before that once buds are set you can increase light hours to more than 12 on which means they also get less than 12 dark. Yes they can flower with less than 12 dark but they can also re-veg which is what’s happened to your plant. Most folks run 12/12 in flower but you did not...... this is not the normal way things are supposed to work.

It’s my understanding that ..... if you wait until buds are fully set - then you can manipalate the light hours to more than 12 on and still stay in flower. I’ve read similar before from TheCelt and I’m going to ask him to jump in for confirmation, if I’m wrong then that’s cool to! @The Celt can you jump in here for a minute on your next visit?

the reason that plant is so big is because of the long photoperiod veg time, then you flipped to flower and by the time you adjusted back to longer hours the buds were already set, you were lucky because she didn’t reveg, that’s pretty much the end of the story

Revegging is not bad genetics, it’s because someone monkeyed with light hours, reveg = photoperiod stress, if you will notice outdoor plants planted in the ground don’t reveg because the sun doesn’t change schedules only 2 minutes per day of shifting sunlight hours. It’s only when you put them in containers move them indoors and out and change their light hours.

Yes BigSur used to do this with his sativas as well- start them flowering under 12/12 indoors and then set them outside in early summer, and he said they’d usually stay in flowering for him.

Poking around a bit more, it looks like BigSur may have gotten the boot and had the ol 420 forum name change/whitewash treatment. Anyway- extremely experienced lifelong grower and he said he flowered many strains this way so I’m inclined to believe him.

Definitely goes against conventional thinking though. I’ve never tried it and I’ve had my share of revegs with plants. Maybe works better with some Sativa strains I don’t know.
Maybe I’ll try it with a plant or two next year.

. BigSur....one (method) being to grow them under lights and size them up in winter, and set them out to bloom starting in April. I have gown many strains this way for a double harvest. If they take 3 months blooming, I can harvest in August. Another method is to force them to bloom by light dep in early July, and harvest them in late September. The last time I tried to grow Colombian outdoors, they just started blooming in mid October. Then the rains hit, and that was it. Any frost, and they are toast.

There are also what around here we call ‘early flowering’ varieties. Not autos. But strains that will start flowering much earlier in the outdoor season than usual. Not what we are talking about here though.

I don’t grow autos but fully agree that the plants in this thread are not autos, and those are not foxtails- just reveg leaves.

To me it sounds totally plausible especially a gradual shift where they still have a rest period, once buds are fully set like 21 days etc then creep back to 14/10 and run for a few weeks maybe even bump again out to 18/6. I’m pretty sure there are limits tho... maybe someone Jack H or Cervantes type covers this in a book, but you’ve confirmed it in my minds eye!

Roger that - agree reveg not foxtails

Back
Top Bottom