Are These Nanners? If so, what are my next steps?

T0x1x

420 Member
Hi All,

Some of you might recognize me from my other problem thread on a different plant :) First time grow is apparently trying to knock out a bunch of things going wrong.....

At any rate, this is the same tent, but a different plant and strain. I noticed this plant was extremely bushy and compact as compared to my other plant, which you can see in my other thread if you are curious. The buds on this really weren't developing... at all. It's a TON of small leaves, but very few buds actually popping up. Lots of trichs though! Then, today, I started to notice what look like nanners. I plucked a few... being my first time, I wanted to see what folks though and what the next steps might be. I only have the 1 tent, so if I have to evacuate, I don't really have anywhere to put it. Heck I don't know if I even should be trying to save it if I'm at this point - lots of conflicting info online.

I've had some suggestions that these are just new leaves that haven't uncurled yet. But I'm not sure it's worth the risk of keeping in the tent to wait and see.

Plant:
PXL_20230706_132026638.jpg

Bud Site:
PXL_20230708_162322308.jpg

Nanners?:
PXL_20230708_162524707.jpg
PXL_20230708_162906906.jpg

PXL_20230708_163719098.MP.jpg

Tent Specifics:
  • Strain: Nirvana Girl Scout Cookie - Auto Fem (Sativa 35%, Indica 60%, Ruderalis 5%)
  • 10 weeks after the sprouts opened the cotyledons. I'd say 3-4 weeks into flowering.
  • Indoor Soil Grow - 3 Gallon Fabric Pot (maybe 2 gallons of soil) - Soil is Fox Farm Ocean Forest with maybe 10-15% perlite.
  • Light is a Mars Hydro TS1000 - following their guidelines of distance (12") and power at each stage.
  • There is a fan for air circulation, as well as an exhaust fan.
  • Temp is 70-75F, Humidity between 40-47%
  • No signs of pests.
  • Watering about every 2 days (when pots are light). About 1 gallon of water, most of the time a small amount of runoff.
  • Using Fox Farms Trio per their feeding schedule at 100% strength.
  • Water pH: First ~4 weeks was 8.0ish, now using ~6.5pH (runoff is slightly lower) - PPM is 148 (tap water)

They do look suspicious. Depending on how many it's kicking out I'd keep pulling them and try to finish the run. If you roll one between your fingers does it leave what looks like pollen on them? Do that away from the tent. Lol.

Hard to tell from those pics but the lack of pistils is def suspect
Nanas are on little stalks rather than direct from the stem - do you see any of those?
Very few pistils ever popped up on this guy. The ones that do exist are already brown and curled. It's really difficult to tell if they are on stalks or not. The sugar leaves on this are SO dense that I can't really tell what is happening at the base. The ones I did remove came off really easy. Almost no resistance at all - no stalk came with them.
They do look suspicious. Depending on how many it's kicking out I'd keep pulling them and try to finish the run. If you roll one between your fingers does it leave what looks like pollen on them? Do that away from the tent. Lol.
They are starting to pop up kinda frequently. Due to the density of this plant, they are very hard to locate and I wouldn't be surprised if there are quite a few in the center.

Take a look at this photo:
nanners-precious.jpg

Unfortunately this one looks kinda damning to me. Tube structure is clear, and they are popping up at the site of the browned pistils. I don't see pollen coming off them when I roll them in my fingers, but it's pretty tough to see. They sorta separate a bit when I roll them, so you can see the individual pieces.

I'll be honest, not really sure what happened here. Maybe light stress? The plant was extremely bushy with massive fan leaves. The seeds came from a reputable source (from what I can tell) "Nirvana" seeds.

If our suspicions are correct, what do y'all typically do with this plant? There are a lot of trichs on the sugar leaves, but basically NO buds at all. I've already evacuated the plant, but don't really have anywhere to put it.

Agreed with @Porky82 those absolutely are stamens/nanners/male flowers/etc.

You could grow the plant out somewhere far away if you really wanted to but if you’re already seeing them pop up everywhere, and with that lack of budding, I would just chop it down.

Also, judging by your lower leaves your plant went through some fairly intensive stress. This is probably linked to what you’re seeing.

Yes they are hermie flowers. They have already opened so the damage will be done if you have any other plants near them!
Dang, that is unfortunate. I do have another plant in there right now... Pic of that one below. I'm guessing this is in danger now? It's like 50/50 brown vs. white pistils at this point, but probably has ~2-3 weeks left.
PXL_20230706_155733270.jpg

Agreed with @Porky82 those absolutely are stamens/nanners/male flowers/etc.

You could grow the plant out somewhere far away if you really wanted to but if you’re already seeing them pop up everywhere, and with that lack of budding, I would just chop it down.

Also, judging by your lower leaves your plant went through some fairly intensive stress. This is probably linked to what you’re seeing.
As a new grower - any suggestions on what I do with the stuff I chop down? Dry and cure (?) as normal and bake into edibles or something?

I'm not sure what the stress was on this guy... but if you look at my post history, I'm also having troubles with the other plant in this tent. Not really sure what is all going on.

Seeds take about 4 weeks to be made by the bud! If they only just opened you could almost make it to the end with just small white husks forming.
If they opened weeks ago seeds are already forming and will be fully developed by the time it's finished.
Saying this there are many variables.
The pollen could be sterile.
There is usually not a lot of pollen so only a few buds may have been seeded.
From the pics they look fine but over the next 2 weeks the calyexs will swell if they have been pollinated and that's when I'd pull em if that starts.

Again.. agreed with @Porky82 😂

The pic of the plant that is further along looks okay, but as was said, it’s hard to tell at this point. With that one I would try to ride it out. It looks like it’s where it should be currently, but that’s just one picture.

As for the one you’ve chopped.. You could try making edibles and stuff but it’s likely not worth it. A lot of what we’re looking for in the plant occurs within the last few weeks of growing. Most of its resin comes in at the end, the trichomes aren’t filled until closer to the end, etc. so when you chop early you lose most of that. Who knows though, you may find you like the earlier harvested stuff.

If you’re organic then it’s fine to chop it all up and throw it in a worm bin or compost pile or recycle the root ball and use the plant as cover crop or meal for worms. If you’re not organic then I think you just toss it out and start over but don’t quote me, I haven’t gone non organic in a while.

I'm not sure what the stress was on this guy... but if you look at my post history, I'm also having troubles with the other plant in this tent. Not really sure what is all going on

I’ll go look over your other posts and see what you’ve got happening and what others are saying. This is a really good growing community and there’s a lot of help from all different methods and walks of life. One of us at least should be able to help you out

Thanks all for the insight again! I'm going to probably try to make canna-butter out of this just to see what it ends up being like. I wish I hadn't been feeding the plant up until this moment (vs. doing a water flush), but I'm guessing edibles are a pretty low risk way of seeing if these do anything.

Seeds take about 4 weeks to be made by the bud! If they only just opened you could almost make it to the end with just small white husks forming.
If they opened weeks ago seeds are already forming and will be fully developed by the time it's finished.
Saying this there are many variables.
The pollen could be sterile.
There is usually not a lot of pollen so only a few buds may have been seeded.
From the pics they look fine but over the next 2 weeks the calyexs will swell if they have been pollinated and that's when I'd pull em if that starts.

Definitely going to have to keep a close eye on the other plant now too. I'm going to have to keep a running checklist of all the things I'm looking out for lol. Bud Rot, septoria/downy mildew, now Seeds!

Back
Top Bottom