Attention: Hash Heads

UrbanGardner

Ok I need some help here. This is my first attempt in making hash. I started out with 24g of kief. I collected it over a few grows. It is pure trimmings screened through a 150 micron screen (Trim Tray). I used the Frenchy Cannoli method. The hash came out a little more green then I expected. The hash ball smells fantastic, sweet and kind of perfumey. Over all it looks good. Until I tried to smoke it. It was absolutely awful!!! I tried to go old school and smoke a chunk under glass. When I lit it it spewed black smoke and just fell apart. I put a chunk in a bong and almost puked. Granted it was 20min between when I rolled it out and smoked it. I smoked a lot of hash in my life. But this is trash!!

My question is does this hash need to age and dry out? What did I do wrong??

kief_pile.jpg
first_press.jpg
Hash_ball.jpg

How did you collect it? When you or push your stuff around the screen or shake it for too long a lot of plant material ends up getting mixed in. Looks like what you're dealing with. I can't help with what you've got now (I think you're stuck with leafy hash), but here's what I find makes the best hash with a screen:
Dry your trim out and throw it in the freezer for at least an hour. Freezer isn't necessary
Process it little by little. Just enough to make a thin layer over the screen. I prefer shaking over pushing it around.
Don't overdo it and keep an eye on what's falling through the screen. When it's frozen the good stuff falls off pretty quick.

It's a bit tedious if you've got a lot of trim, but I think it's worth it.

Added bonus: the leftover trim will probably still have enough goodies to make edibles or some sort of extraction.

How did you collect it? When you or push your stuff around the screen or shake it for too long a lot of plant material ends up getting mixed in. Looks like what you're dealing with. I can't help with what you've got now (I think you're stuck with leafy hash), but here's what I find makes the best hash with a screen:
Dry your trim out and throw it in the freezer for at least an hour. Freezer isn't necessary
Process it little by little. Just enough to make a thin layer over the screen. I prefer shaking over pushing it around.
Don't overdo it and keep an eye on what's falling through the screen. When it's frozen the good stuff falls off pretty quick.

It's a bit tedious if you've got a lot of trim, but I think it's worth it.

Added bonus: the leftover trim will probably still have enough goodies to make edibles or some sort of extraction.

Thanks for the advice. I pretty much did what you described. Collected the leaf and froze it. I crushed up the frozen matter and shook the tray like panning for gold.

Any thoughts on aging and drying out? I think I consumed it too soon. It was too soft. It just burned really bad. I am going to let it sit out for a day or two and try it again.

Hash making is a new venture for me. You learn by trial and error...

I find it better to not crush it up. It makes it easier for bits of leaf to fall through the screen. Pretty sure that's what's making it burn and taste bad. Not sure if drying will help, but it's worth a shot.

Yup, trial and error is a big part of it. Luckily there's only a handful of errors you can make.

Thanks for the advice. I pretty much did what you described. Collected the leaf and froze it. I crushed up the frozen matter and shook the tray like panning for gold.

Any thoughts on aging and drying out? I think I consumed it too soon. It was too soft. It just burned really bad. I am going to let it sit out for a day or two and try it again.

Hash making is a new venture for me. You learn by trial and error...
Ive never dry sifted, but were the trimmings cured prior? Freezing is almost necessary, at least for bubble. I do know they cure out those temple balls, but not sure if in a jar or not. I would say that the trim was possibly not cured and the chlorophyll remained in the plant matter. It doesnt look bad.

Ok I need some help here. This is my first attempt in making hash. I started out with 24g of kief. I collected it over a few grows. It is pure trimmings screened through a 150 micron screen (Trim Tray). I used the Frenchy Cannoli method. The hash came out a little more green then I expected. The hash ball smells fantastic, sweet and kind of perfumey. Over all it looks good. Until I tried to smoke it. It was absolutely awful!!! I tried to go old school and smoke a chunk under glass. When I lit it it spewed black smoke and just fell apart. I put a chunk in a bong and almost puked. Granted it was 20min between when I rolled it out and smoked it. I smoked a lot of hash in my life. But this is trash!!

My question is does this hash need to age and dry out? What did I do wrong??

kief_pile.jpg
first_press.jpg
Hash_ball.jpg
150 micron and that’s what you get. looks like the same quality as mine. I’d like to find a tray with say ½ the size micron..I throw chunks of dry ice with the bud and shake it around.

After further review. I took a slice off the ball and smoked it. It is not half bad. Actually once the chunk was lit it burned like incense. The ball is now hard as a rock and smells amazing. The glossy sheen is now gone. I think the biggest mistake I made was to smoke it too soon. Without a doubt giving the ball a few days to firm up and settle in was the right thing to do.
smokin_bowl.jpg

temple_ball.jpg

The Trim Tray makes a 100 micron screen that stacks with the other components. I will try to acquire one in the future.

Thanks for the feedback from everyone. I think my next attempt will be better. The biggest lesson I learned is to keep the "Jump to Conclusion" mat in the closet. :eek:

I just use a 5 gal strainer bag & garbage bag You can get them in different mesh sizes
The nut milk bags are good for refining the trichomes

Back
Top Bottom