Auto Growers Unite: A Community Thread

Thanks BamBam, with 1000 watts HPS, maintained about 2 ft above the plants, I get tons of light penetration with plenty of vertical space above. I trimmed a few obstructing leaves to get the buds more light and that's it. They're not in a tent, they're surrounded with a white polyolefin roofing membrane enclosure that give me a reflective index of over 95%, (better than mylar). The way I understand it (I could be wrong) the purpose of LST is to give your plants more light, with my set up, they have more than enough. Last year it was so bright I had a problem with light burn on the leaves. 1000 watts of HPS lighting is overkill for a small grow like mine but I got SUCH a good deal on them. 48" daisy reflector, MH/HPS mechanical ballast, and 2 1000 watt HPS bulbs $60.00.

cost benefit ratio ... 1 KWh is rather steep for the amount of herb you'll get .... + the sun doesnt has a reflector and reflecting materials focusing on the plant, a fan =/= natural windflow, artificial lights have a much more narrower spectrum oposed to sunlight (IR+ UV)
and also a plant can get to much light if its focused onto it ( light is just another form of radiation and photons can damage chlorophyl resulting in light bleach)
artificial light gives of more heat then actual light ... see heatburn and lightburn ...

cost benefit ratio ... 1 KWh is rather steep for the amount of herb you'll get .... + the sun doesnt has a reflector and reflecting materials focusing on the plant, a fan =/= natural windflow, artificial lights have a much more narrower spectrum oposed to sunlight (IR+ UV)
and also a plant can get to much light if its focused onto it ( light is just another form of radiation and photons can damage chlorophyl resulting in light bleach)
artificial light gives of more heat then actual light ... see heatburn and lightburn ...

Hey Ptero, with what I paid for the light that's not an issue, It's 1000 W is overkill I agree, but I got the whole light system, used, for $60.

Thought I'd post a little update on my auto Jack Herer from CKS. Here's some new photo's, things seem to be coming along nicely. Baby grew 1 1/2" in three days and it's up to 16 separate bud sites now. Discovered a little problem with thrips but an application of insecticidal soap seems to have taken care of it. Could somebody help me out with a couple of informed answers? 1) Can I expect it to grow any higher? 2) Any idea how long it'll be in flower? Comments are appreciated!

:cheer:

P8276868c.JPG
P8276865c.JPG
P8276862c.JPG
P8276873c.JPG

The way I understand it (I could be wrong) the purpose of LST is to give your plants more light, with my set up, they have more than enough.

Even a 1,000-watt HID will fail to penetrate below a canopy - if that canopy is dense/thick enough, lol.

Last year it was so bright I had a problem with light burn on the leaves.

Light burn or light bleaching? They're two separate issues. The second is due to too much (/too intense) light. The first is caused by the heat of one's lights.

1000 watts of HPS lighting is overkill for a small grow like mine but I got SUCH a good deal on them. 48" daisy reflector, MH/HPS mechanical ballast, and 2 1000 watt HPS bulbs $60.00.

A 1kW C&C ballast might be consuming 1,100 watts. Multiply that by 12 (hours), then multiply that by ~30 (days)... If you're using the setup for vegetative phase - or for growing/flowering auto-flowering plants under 18 hours/day of light, then make that 12 an 18. I get pretty upset when my electric bill reaches $50/month - that light would probably cost that much to run all by itself, lol.

Which is fine, as far as it goes, assuming you're okay with the monthly expense. However... if that setup is truly overkill, you could probably soon recover the cost of going to a lower-wattage setup just by the electricity you're saving. Or maybe not (IDK your electricity rate). I suppose it depends on where you live. If you're paying something like 11 cents per kWh, it's obviously going to take a lot longer than if you live in - for example - rural Alaska where they produce electricity by generator and have to truck - or fly - the fuel in to do so. I've heard of rates as high as $1 per kWh which seems kind of insane to me.

There are electronic ballasts available that can be "dimmed" (reduce their electrical output). I've got a little 400-watt one around here somewhere. When I was using it, I started @ 250 watts, lighting a smaller space. When the plants grew and covered more space, I could turn it up to 400 watts. Something like that could save you money each month (during the time when you didn't actually need the full 1,000-watt output).

Even a 1,000-watt HID will fail to penetrate below a canopy - if that canopy is dense/thick enough, lol.

Light burn or light bleaching? They're two separate issues. The second is due to too much (/too intense) light. The first is caused by the heat of one's lights.

A 1kW C&C ballast might be consuming 1,100 watts. Multiply that by 12 (hours), then multiply that by ~30 (days)... If you're using the setup for vegetative phase - or for growing/flowering auto-flowering plants under 18 hours/day of light, then make that 12 an 18. I get pretty upset when my electric bill reaches $50/month - that light would probably cost that much to run all by itself, lol.

Which is fine, as far as it goes, assuming you're okay with the monthly expense. However... if that setup is truly overkill, you could probably soon recover the cost of going to a lower-wattage setup just by the electricity you're saving. Or maybe not (IDK your electricity rate). I suppose it depends on where you live. If you're paying something like 11 cents per kWh, it's obviously going to take a lot longer than if you live in - for example - rural Alaska where they produce electricity by generator and have to truck - or fly - the fuel in to do so. I've heard of rates as high as $1 per kWh which seems kind of insane to me.

There are electronic ballasts available that can be "dimmed" (reduce their electrical output). I've got a little 400-watt one around here somewhere. When I was using it, I started @ 250 watts, lighting a smaller space. When the plants grew and covered more space, I could turn it up to 400 watts. Something like that could save you money each month (during the time when you didn't actually need the full 1,000-watt output).

ThanksTortured, The material I'm using for an enclosure is also acting as a side reflector, I may get less light inside the canopy but the tops and sides are well exposed and are thriving, I'm also rearranging some of my fan leaves to keep the buds exposed as much as possible.

I stand corrected it was light bleaching, but the $175 for a new ballast works out to 4 months of the cost to run it, even in Ontario. Not only that, but dimming your bulbs is NOT recommended, this comes from Hortilux:

"Will I hurt my 1000W HPS if I dim it down to 50 percent or any percentages even turbo?
We do not recommend dimming HID lamps in general. Dimming your HID lamps effectively changes the spectral quality coming from the grow lamp which in turn affect the quality of your plant growth.

As you dim your light, you are reducing the heat inside the internal arc tube. This heat is critical allowing the chemistry to mix properly with the electrical arc which produces the spectrum required for plant growth.

You will have better quality plant growth from a 600W light running at 100% than you will from a 1000W light being dimmed down.

Overdriving your grow lights is not recommended because you run the risk of shortening the life of the lamp, burning off the internal chemistry much faster and you could possible blow up the lamp.

Is Running your 1000watts super hps on 750watts bad For the bulb. Does the spectrum Change.what about running at 500watts
We do not recommend running any wattage lamp at a lower or higher wattage setting.

By reducing the wattage to the lamp you will affect the quality of the spectrum which in turn will affect the quality of plant growth.

By increasing the wattage to the lamp you will shorten the life of the lamp significantly.

Always operate your HID grow lamps at their rated wattage for reliable performance.

- See more at: HID light FAQ, Electronic Ballast FAQ

I personally would wait another month. The cloudy/amber trichome ratio is just as important if not more, than those red pistols. The yield could be greater as well. I have a Skunk #1, by Sensi that looked like this @ day 55. It is now on day 85, well past its expected due date. I am still up in the air on how much longer to wait. ;)

So really, I am answering your question. With the same one, but from my perspective. You know, @ day 85. :laughtwo:

Anyways, here is what I mean.

SAM_19372.JPG
SAM_19363.JPG

I personally would wait another month. The cloudy/amber trichome ratio is just as important if not more, than those red pistols. The yield could be greater as well. I have a Skunk #1, by Sensi that looked like this @ day 55. It is now on day 85, well past its expected due date. I am still up in the air on how much longer to wait. ;)

So really, I am answering your question. With the same one, but from my perspective. You know, @ day 85. :laughtwo:

Anyways, here is what I mean.

SAM_19372.JPG
SAM_19363.JPG

Damn! Another month? That's insane. Maybe I'm too impatient but I feel like they're so close.

Yeah. I feel you, though chopping that early isn't a good smoke. You end up with alot of green and red with very little trichomes. The hay smell never goes away. The kush taste is overcome by the leafy tobacco taste. I have a jar of white widow with that issue. Which is why I am pushing my skunk#1 to be all it can be. :thumb: :love::peacetwo:

Yeah. I feel you, though chopping that early isn't a good smoke. You end up with alot of green and red with very little trichomes. The hay smell never goes away. The kush taste is overcome by the leafy tobacco taste. I have a jar of white widow with that issue. Which is why I am pushing my skunk#1 to be all it can be. :thumb: :love::peacetwo:

I appreciate the insight bruv!

2 weeks & can I buy a regular magnifying glass to look at them?
Try a hobby shop for a loupe WCJ their generally less than $20 for a 10 power, Magnifying glasses are generally less than 5. The one I use is a 20 power I bought online for $16. If you've got a camera try the macro setting zoomed in tight but turn your lights off when you take the pics (that's a whole other discussion).

Hey Guys I need some advice! I just recently checked my girls today and it seems like they're having some trouble and I'm not sure what the cause is. If you guys can help with anything, please! I value your insights! I'm so close to finishing so I have got to save these

Back
Top Bottom