Autoflowering advice: how big a pot

dwlb051

420 Member
I understand that autoflowering plants grow about one meter high. I would like to grow one in a clay pot on my deck. What size pot should I use and what type of soil would be appropriate?

Thank you.

Depends on the genetics, my super auto would get easily to 12' if I didn't top & tie down
Bigger the better I had mine in the ground
you would need a big pot to hold roots like these

IMG_1519.JPG

I see most people use 3 - 5 gal. on indoor grows. I would think a 10 gal. outside would be plenty big enough. It will take a full bag (2 cu. yds.) of soil to fill it. I'm a big fan of Fox Farms Ocean Forrest soil myself. Been using it for the past 4 years.

I generally grow in 5 or 10 gallon fabric bags. If I didn’t have to move them I would say the bigger the better!

I personally am a big fan of ProMix BX. It’s a soilless medium and its buffered. The medium has no nutrients so it’s a clean slate and I can control my nutrients based purely on what I feed. It also has lime in the mix which buffers the ph so I do not have to ph my nutrients or water. Saves me time and headaches.

Definitely a stylistic question, ask 20 people and you’ll probably get 20 different answers and none of them would be wrong. Just be careful watering a small plant in a big container, it’s easy to over do it.

Good luck with your grow!

5 gallon, is that 20 something liters?? What? I've no use for your meTricks ;) fill it to the top, water till it runs off a bit. Give it a couple days and keep it moist and warm (phrasing) soil is good I suppose as good as Buds and he speaks the truth about the FFOF amazing results.

You are probably not going to have any pro-mix products across the pond..... think I hear bio-bizz mentioned a lot in UK & Europe. 3 to 5 gallons sounds good but yes bigger is better for soil grows. Be aware that coco is not the same as soil. Some grow media’s like coco or pro-mix are totally inert meaning they have zero nutrients You may also need npk nutes and cal-mag to have on hand but if the soil is right it may supply enough nutes all the way thru. A ph pen would probably be useful too.

Back
Top Bottom