Bab's First Grow - DWC - LED 600x3 - Blueberry & White Queen

BabsGT

Hey everyone! As a new member of the medical MJ community, I joined this forum with the intentions of learning more about MJ and to possibly grow my own medicine. I have been lurking around here for about a month, and I have learned a TON. I have never regularly smoked MJ, but after dealing with some health concerns, I received a medical recommendation from my doctor. Since then, I have started smoking and have had great results so far. I decided to research growing my own and I got pretty intrigued. I went a little crazy with my supply ordering. I have a large space to grow, and I decided to order some extra lights so I could get a discount.

Blueberry and White Queen. Two each.
Hybrids, moslty indica. BB is 12.801% THC, WQ between 20-25% THC
Seeds dropped in water 10/21
Indoor
Hydro - DWC 5 gallon buckets.
PlatinumLED P600 lights, x3
8" 350CFM exhaust fan with carbon filter
Bluelab garden monitor, etc.

Nutrient lineup:

Hygrozyme
Calimagic
Hydroguard
PH up and down
Cloning gel
Root Exelurator
Aquaflakes A&B

I dropped the seeds into water on 10/21. The White Queens opened up and showed a tap root after less than 24 hours. I transferred the seeds into rockwool and put them on the counter in a bowl covered with saran wrap. I transferred the seedlings into the buckets yesterday. The Blueberry still hasn't come up yet, but I put them in the net pots anyways. I might have to start over with the blueberry but I don't really know what I'm doing yet, plus I got some free seeds with my order.

I used tap water (I'm on a well), and it measures to 200PPM from the tap. I mixed my nutrients in a big 28 gallon tub and adjusted the PH to 5.8, then filled the buckets. I went really light on the nutrients, but made sure to add the appropriate amount of hydroguard. I'm measuring 400ppm (200 over the tap water) as of right now. Hopefully this isn't too strong for the seedlings

Anyways, after some time and effort getting my growing area set up, I have everything in place. Today I went and checked on it, and noticed the roots on the WQ's are brown, coated with slime, and the water is cloudy and stinks. I'm not sure what I missed, but I'm not surprised to run into problems, since this is my first attempt. I added 5ml per bucket of hydroguard, so we will see what happens. I have a feeling I will have to start over, but I will listen to advice and go from there. I covered the net pots with some reflective insulation, to make sure the light stays out after adding the hydroguard. My big tub doesn't stink at all. It still has a few gallons left in it, so I'm thinking light might be the problem (the big tub is not getting any light into it).

Anyways, here are some pictures of the operation. Any advice is welcome!

20141030_173431_zpswwgnc006.JPG

20141030_173213_zpsrhsfge0o1.JPG

20141030_173241_zpslorzj0fk1.JPG

20141030_173148_zps0kxiecae1.JPG

20141030_173352_zpsjb101ztg.JPG

20141030_173327_zps7d5atoeh.JPG

20141030_173318_zpsrzw0sj2t.JPG

20141030_173307_zpsdv6fiapg.JPG

20141030_173251_zpsgojama3v.JPG

re: Bab's First Grow - DWC - Platinum LED 600x3 - Blueberry & White Queen

Got the slime in the tanks taken care of for now. Flushed with H2O2 and added Hygrozyme. So far so good, plants are growing and water doesn't stink. I made sure no light is getting into the buckets too. Anyone have any advice on a good heater that is energy efficient? My little space heater pulls 1250 watts and is running full time.

3 days after doing the flush, the brown slime is back, and the water is cloudy and stinky again. What are some tips for a long term fix? I feel that doing a "tea" method will be my last resort, due to it taking a lot of extra time and additives. Do you guys think that switching to black air hoses and a bigger air pump will help? what about water? Should I buy an RO water filtration system?

Do you boil your water before using it? Is there any light getting into the buckets or tank? How many of your lights are on right now?

I dont usually use nutrients in my first couple of weeks of growth from seed. I don't use any of their fancy hydroguard stuff but I do use h2o2 if problems crop up. Consider also covering the opening to the buckets. Just some panda film or those fancy rubber pucks.

Oh and yes. Many people would say that extra air is never a bad idea! I have heard the recommendation of "one in the tub and one in the bucket"

Do you boil your water before using it? Is there any light getting into the buckets or tank? How many of your lights are on right now?

I dont usually use nutrients in my first couple of weeks of growth from seed. I don't use any of their fancy hydroguard stuff but I do use h2o2 if problems crop up. Consider also covering the opening to the buckets. Just some panda film or those fancy rubber pucks.

Oh and yes. Many people would say that extra air is never a bad idea! I have heard the recommendation of "one in the tub and one in the bucket"

I just have one light on right now, and will probably leave just one on until flowering. I don't boil the water. It is just hose water. New hose. There was definitely no light getting into the tank. There may have been a very small amount getting into the buckets through the air lines, but thats it. I put some tape around the air lines to make sure they are nice and dark, and I cleaned everything out with bleach today and started over. I sprayed the roots with H202 and sprayed the bottom of the net pots with H2O2 as well. I will see what happens this time. I also put a small pump in my big reservior to splash water and break surface tension. We will see if the movement of water helps. It I run into problems again, I think I'm going to build a RDWC system and get a RO separator too. I have a feeling it is the water from my well. Even though I'm having some hiccups, I am still having a blast with this.

I got the reservoirs under control. Things seem to be going well. Pic update as of 11/10

first two pics are Blueberry. These are a week younger than the white Queens because the first two seeds didn't sprout.

20141110_174210.jpg

20141110_174206.jpg

These are the white queens. They are looking good! so far, the plants seem very healthy and the roots are pearly white :)

20141110_174202.jpg

20141110_174156.jpg

:) glad to see it all working out now! Well done!

Thank you sir! I will continue to update this thread weekly. Looking into building a RDWC system soon to make everything easier

re: Bab's First Grow - DWC - LED 600x3 - Blueberry & White Queen

Progress as of 11/19. 30 days since dropping seeds in water for the WQ, 23 days for the BB.

It hasn't been staying warm enough in the grow room to get good growth speed. I added a second heater, and today I added a 1000 watt HPS to help supplement the heat and I left one LED on half spectrum. I will now have 2800 watts of light during flowering, hoping to see some great results. Since I've added the heater the plants have really started growing. The Blueberrys have doubled in size in the last two days.

I've been using PH down lately about every day to keep the levels where they need to be. I think I've found that when the water warms up to room temperature, the PH rises with it. After everything evens out, the PH has only rises about .2 per day instead of 2 per day.

Current PPM is 960 (200 PPM from tap), and PH is 6.1. Water temp 72, room temp just settled in at 76 after playing with the thermostats on the heaters and getting it setup just right. RH 30%

Roots look great, water is a little cloudy and there is a small amount of brown chunks floating around but no algae build up on the air lines or stones. I'm going to run Hygrozyme and H2O2 for a week and see what kind of difference it makes.

20141118_195127.jpg

20141118_195119.jpg

20141118_195114.jpg

20141118_195109.jpg

Update as of 11/25:

Everything is doing well. They are starting to grow fast! Just 6 days since the last photos! I'm running 1000PPM. water temp and room temp have gotten into the low 80's, so I turned one space heater way down. I decided to continue to use Hydroguard in my reservoirs to make sure the temperature fluctuations don't start growing bad bacteria in the pots. So far so good, and I'm working on getting my room to settle at around 76*. Nothing bad to report, just steady growing. I'm probably going to veg for at least another full month to grow these beasts nice and big. I'm hoping they are all female.

20141125_173115.jpg

20141125_173119.jpg

20141125_173122.jpg

20141125_173126.jpg

Update 12/2:

42 days since dropping seeds in water. Plants are growing fast, nothing much to report other than today I cut a couple clones to try giving it a shot. Still don't know if plants are male or female, but I should see some pre-flowers in the next couple weeks!

20141202_180349.jpg

20141202_180426.jpg

Update 12/11:

I bent the plants and tied them down to help them spread out. There is a lot of new growth. Nothing too much to report, I am going to flip them to flower around Christmas. Pictures:

20141211_180232.jpg

20141211_180241.jpg

20141211_180247.jpg

20141211_180307.jpg

Update 12/21:

I converted my system to an RDWC setup to keep PPM levels and PH levels equal throughout the entire system. I still have to paint the lids or put some plastic over them to keep light from getting into the reservoirs. These things are ready to flower, they are getting huge!

I still haven't seen any preflowers on any of the plants yet so I don't even know if they are male or female. I got some clones showing roots now so I backed off the PPM on the main system and put the clones in. I am going to separate half the room for vegging while these plants are in flower.

20141218_194853.jpg

20141218_194903.jpg

Locking good. :goodjob:

Are this regular seeds ?
I would look for feminized seeds for the first grows and a bid more room for the flower tent .

Make sure there are no light leeks in the flower room also look for control LED and such little things.

I put on full power in the last days of veg.

Locking good. :goodjob:

Are this regular seeds ?
I would look for feminized seeds for the first grows and a bid more room for the flower tent .

Make sure there are no light leeks in the flower room also look for control LED and such little things.

I put on full power in the last days of veg.

Thanks man. They are regular seeds. I have a lot more room that I can expand the area into. The enclosed area is only 1/3 of the space I can make it. Things should get exciting once I flip the light schedule!

Flipped the lights on 12/27. Now the real fun begins. More pics when I see flowers

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

yes the grow is still going. I have been busy and haven't had time to post up on here too much. Today is day 38 of flowering. My heart sank today when I went to check on them. I opened the lid to my reservoir and there was a bunch of foam in there. Then I checked the roots and they were dark brown on all of the plants. Just a couple days ago the roots were fine. Not bright white, a little brown, but I figured that to be normal because of the nutrients staining the roots a little. I don't know what happened, other than I changed the water two days ago.

Today I drained all the water, sprayed the roots, and refilled. I added 200ml Hydroguard, 600ml hygrozyme, and added nutrients again. I will be devastated if these are ruined. I have a lot of time in this grow and I'm getting close to my first harvest. Hopefully they recover and this speed bump doesn't drastically lower my yield.

PPM level is 690
PH 5.8
Water temp 55 and rising. It has been settling around 68
Room temp 75
Humidity 55%

Pictures haven't been turning out too well because the LED's make it really hard to see on camera, but here is a picture of one of my close (I will find out the strain tonight) as of 2/1 with the lights off and the flash on the camera. Sorry about the sideways pic, I'm not sure how to rotate it.

20150201_124023.jpg

oh and by the way, I had to kill both white queens because they were male. I still have the 2 BB and 8 of the other clones which I don't know the name of yet. I will find out today

Back
Top Bottom