Bad light burn: plants lost their smell

OldTex67

420 Member
Two unknowns 5 weeks into flowering. 600w HIP went down. Had a Hortilux 1000w i was going to get a 220 line put in but I needed a light now. So my ballist is capable so I screwed her in. I say screwed cause thats what I got. Anyway checked in three times that night looked good.. I had just watered so when the sudden fishing trip came up im there. So im gone 2 1/2 days. Check my plants and the topic every shoot was fried. I mean brown and crispy. So I cut like twenty buds off and a couple of smaller shoots that were gone. Had I kept them on it would tax out the plant. They didn't grow for two weeks now its been three and they are coming back. Here is my question to all.. I had 5 weeks to go till harvest. Not sure about when now and is there anything I can do to get the smell back.. I mean the whole house use to smell now nothing. You can see in the pictures the stem is brown but coming back and the brown in the buds is burnt leafs.. and now there coming back but long skinny buds. Im open for all comers. Thanks sincerely OldTRex67

20210830_050905.jpg

20210830_050813.jpg

20210830_050510.jpg

20210830_050406.jpg

20210830_050510.jpg

20210830_050406.jpg

Have you thought about starting a grow journal, so we can follow along?

Also, after you have over 50 post you can vote or enter our contests to win free grow stuff.

Stay safe, and grow well my friend,

Tok.. :bong:

Anyway checked in three times that night looked good.. I had just watered so when the sudden fishing trip came up im there. So im gone 2 1/2 days. Check my plants and the topic every shoot was fried. I mean brown and crispy. So I cut like twenty buds off and a couple of smaller shoots that were gone.
Maybe it is me but that does not look like 'light burn'. The times I have had plants grow right up to and around the LED lights the burn on my leaves was a lighter brown color and it was just in the area near or next to the light.

If you were gone for just 2 1/2 days and the plant had all that darker brown showing up from the tops of the colas and then down the stem for 5 or 6 inches or even more then it is hard to think that it was caused by the lights.

A photo of the entire plant might help when some of the others get a chance to see this thread.

Sorry I know better I was running on E this morning. Soil fox farm frog during veg moved them into fox farm ocean for flower stage. Their in 5 gal buckets that are 4 inches bigger than the normal. Which is 15 inches high. Mine are 19 1/2. So im getting about 4 gals more of soil. I Ran a 600w MH for veg then to 600w HID for flower. Grow space is a med size closet. 4x2 I wrapped in house wrap and put the light on pulleys the ballast is outside on a stand. I put an cold air return in at the floor and enclosed my fan so its pulling in fresh air and from the floor its cold air as well. Then in the opposite side as high as I could go. I built a shelf and punched a hole through the wall into the closet of my spare bedroom. I put another fan up there and enclosed it except for where it pulls.. so its the same basic as a furnace and AC. It works great as long as the closet door in the other room is open.. it was last minute throw together. I'm going to make some mods later. Its going to go through the ceiling and up to a powered turbine. Anyway I also have a oscillator fan in the corner. And a humidifier. Which im having difficulties keeping my humidity within a 5 degree margin.. during veg stage I was putting wet shirts on hangers while light was on. I could get it up in mid to low sixties but I couldn't get it to stay. It was dropping to high forties and low fifties. So I've got some things to work out. Probably more info than you wanted. I just start banging away next thing we have a Essay. There coming out of it. The hairs or whatever they are called are just now starting to turn in a couple of places so im guessing just about enough time to flush well and harvest.. I would appreciate any input. as well as a little rassing.. about the burn ive got tough or thick skin. It brain power thats running low. Later and have a good one.. To all my friends!!! tequila shots..

Maybe it is me but that does not look like 'light burn'. The times I have had plants grow right up to and around the LED lights the burn on my leaves was a lighter brown color and it was just in the area near or next to the light.

If you were gone for just 2 1/2 days and the plant had all that darker brown showing up from the tops of the colas and then down the stem for 5 or 6 inches or even more then it is hard to think that it was caused by the lights.

A photo of the entire plant might help when some of the others get a chance to see this thread.
I cut most of the burn off. But your right.. the light was the sore. there was some light aluminum sheeting that the prior owner used to cover some holes. Which a putty knife and quick patch should of been used.. I thought it was high enough or the light was low enough that it wasn't coming into play. But reflection is a mother.!!! The burn isn't what I'm asking about.. im wondering about the smell and taste. As well as THC. level. Weather or not the plants now are gonna be. Are they gonna be like if they got pollinated and the level has dropped off cause there focus is on seed production. Then might as well bag them up for the trash man now. Ive got six gorilla glue #4 seedlings around 3 to 4 weeks old sitting under an LED 150 ready to go.. kinda excited. My second grow will come out hopefully without any major hick-ups.. but thank you for getting back to me and any input is always welcome. Even if its negative its a learning process. Heck the last time I grow indoors was in 1980 in a garage using an outside street lamp. The thing was half the size of a VW beatle and had to have 220 hook-up. Reading High Times for my info. Ill tell you about some other time. Have a good one and thanks laterme brother

:welcome:
Welcome New Members - Please Read Before Posting

This thread has been moved to Problems, Pests & Disease Control.

We work hard to make 420 Magazine as navigable as possible for members and guests so that information can be easily found. We also want to ensure that your own thread receives the most appropriate responses, views or support.

:Namaste:
Thank you I tried to find the right place. But in my picture transfer I hit the wrong and it was posted. Didn't know h
:welcome:
Welcome New Members - Please Read Before Posting

This thread has been moved to Problems, Pests & Disease Control.

We work hard to make 420 Magazine as navigable as possible for members and guests so that information can be easily found. We also want to ensure that your own thread receives the most appropriate responses, views or support.

:Namaste:
Sorry I tried to move it but it got posted and I didn't know what to do. Like a minute ago. I lost the first message to you. Never been much of a computer guy. I just hope for the best. Like 42 mag.. simply the best. Out of anything I've found out there this is it.. thank you and I promise you I'll work on it. Have a good one

I recently experienced a similar problem. Newbie with Unknown Problem I am also growing in FF or equivalent soil.

I have two 2x4 tents and I use them to (try to) produce about 1 mature Auto (23 hr lite tent) and 1 mature photoperiod (12 hr lite tent). In my last grow, my Critical Mass Auto produced virtually no scent. Other signs were leaf spotting, leaf yellowing, leaf curling and finally leaf drooping. Similar conditions existing on my photoperiod Wappa. She still had a nice scent, but much less pronounced than previous Wappas.

As a result I lost LilWil4 Wappa, and the cured CMA turned out to be a harsh smoke.

We chased this problems around - first, thrips; second, Calcium deficiency; third, pH imbalance.

Are you adjusting pH? To what level? Have you measured the pH of your runoff water?

Mine had all gone way too low, in the 5.2 range. I've since read that in soil, the ladies take up best 6.5-7.0. Further, that they can't take up Calcium below 6.2. I use a fish shit fertilizer for veg growth, and Fox Farms Open Sesame, Beastie Bloomz, and Cha Ching fertilizers for flowering. They all pull my 6.6 tap water down to around 5.2 without pH adjustment.

So, now I pH all water.

One thing I don't understand is how you switch growing medium from veg to flower. Sounds risky.

Light leaks, changing lights, wet tee shirt humidifiers will all help to contribute to inconsistent yield results. If I were you, I would try to get a more consistent environment and care routine going. I would recommend tents for this, they're cheap and easy to get and makes environment control a whole lot easier.

One last note, I've had a lot of luck with Mars LED. In contrast, I never had luck in the past with HPS or MH. If you've been growing under HID, I should probably be taking tips from you. IMHO, LED is much easier to grow quality bud under.

Good luck.

(L)ED the head

Hello stoneotter, not sure about that one. Perhaps you will explain it to when know each other better.. ok ah I believe they lost there smell because of two things first shock. Then stress. I wish I hadn't thrown the stuff I cut off away. It had melted or shrunk but im sure with the top half of the plant sucking up all the moisture trying to save itself. I mean the buds were crispy. But my PH is good. The tap water here is super hard. Running in the high sevens. So I buy gal or larger. Found Ozarks is pretty good runs like six two. Six four... I don't have much run off cause I'm a believer in only what you need no extras. I water by hand and use a plastic bottle like ihop has ketchup in. I water slow slow and consistent. And I use a super long flathead screw driver and go down the sides and around the whole container here and there I bump a root or even break one. But consistently keeping the soil aerated and broke up they really take off about week seven. It like you can almost watch them grow. In veg there in a two and half gal plastic container that I take my battery hand oscillator and cut the bottom out put it up in final container and cut the sides twice and container two is history. I use superthrive and Schultz starter plus 5 10 5 one out of the six went into shock for a day the other five never blinked. Straight up towards the light in an hour.. I use FF wholly Mackerel and Dr Earth pump and grow fish first and superthrive foliar spray and FF big bloom as a foliar spray. Schultz has a liquid plant food 10 15 10 it says 7 drops per quart and Burpee Tom & Veg 6 2 3. They all say everywhere feeding or watering. Again I don't believe that I just break it down to a third of recommended and I feed every time also use FF something bloom during flower. As for the humidity I wasn't having any problem until the 4 weeks of extreme heat wave. It was in the high 90s at nine in the morning. Right now im hold a 5 degree flex running 47 to 53.. 55. But room temp is high 70s during light cycle high 60s when off.. that darn 1000w man it really burns way hotter than the 600 I had been using.. I enjoy the challenges. Using a tent takes all that out. Thats half of the fun. Fixing problems, we've been doing our whole life. Why stop. No four years ago I broke my back. Was told I'd never walk without assistance. Today three percedures later. Im not pretty and limp bad but im walking. So I have time on my hands. Thsts what gave me the idea to start growing again. Man back in the 80s I learned alot from High Times magazine when I came across 42 had to check it out. Have a good one I know I know your a grown man don't tell you what to do.. have a good one anyway

Have you thought about starting a grow journal, so we can follow along?

Also, after you have over 50 post you can vote or enter our contests to win free grow stuff.

Stay safe, and grow well my friend,

Tok.. :bong:
Hello Tok thanks for getting back to me. Things are looking better. Right now I just decided to go into flussing and harvest in three weeks. I start a journal cause I'm not use LED's im old fashion run MH and HID's i have six seedling going under LED 150 they are coming up on four weeks well four week for the first to its head out of the soil. The other 5 seemed to be every other day so last one is just over 2weeks keep yah post have a good one T-Rex out.

Hello stoneotter, not sure about that one. Perhaps you will explain it to when know each other better.. ok ah I believe they lost there smell because of two things first shock. Then stress. I wish I hadn't thrown the stuff I cut off away. It had melted or shrunk but im sure with the top half of the plant sucking up all the moisture trying to save itself. I mean the buds were crispy. But my PH is good. The tap water here is super hard. Running in the high sevens. So I buy gal or larger. Found Ozarks is pretty good runs like six two. Six four... I don't have much run off cause I'm a believer in only what you need no extras. I water by hand and use a plastic bottle like ihop has ketchup in. I water slow slow and consistent. And I use a super long flathead screw driver and go down the sides and around the whole container here and there I bump a root or even break one. But consistently keeping the soil aerated and broke up they really take off about week seven. It like you can almost watch them grow. In veg there in a two and half gal plastic container that I take my battery hand oscillator and cut the bottom out put it up in final container and cut the sides twice and container two is history. I use superthrive and Schultz starter plus 5 10 5 one out of the six went into shock for a day the other five never blinked. Straight up towards the light in an hour.. I use FF wholly Mackerel and Dr Earth pump and grow fish first and superthrive foliar spray and FF big bloom as a foliar spray. Schultz has a liquid plant food 10 15 10 it says 7 drops per quart and Burpee Tom & Veg 6 2 3. They all say everywhere feeding or watering. Again I don't believe that I just break it down to a third of recommended and I feed every time also use FF something bloom during flower. As for the humidity I wasn't having any problem until the 4 weeks of extreme heat wave. It was in the high 90s at nine in the morning. Right now im hold a 5 degree flex running 47 to 53.. 55. But room temp is high 70s during light cycle high 60s when off.. that darn 1000w man it really burns way hotter than the 600 I had been using.. I enjoy the challenges. Using a tent takes all that out. Thats half of the fun. Fixing problems, we've been doing our whole life. Why stop. No four years ago I broke my back. Was told I'd never walk without assistance. Today three percedures later. Im not pretty and limp bad but im walking. So I have time on my hands. Thsts what gave me the idea to start growing again. Man back in the 80s I learned alot from High Times magazine when I came across 42 had to check it out. Have a good one I know I know your a grown man don't tell you what to do.. have a good one anyway
Put a @ in front of our names and that will alert us. Yeah, when i don't know a person, sometimes i say things to slow him/her down so they don't rush into something.
Guess I should proof read first. I can not do journal cause guidelines state LED's grows. Seedlings Gorilla glue #4 all in soil. My LED's are Sun Systems.
You can journal OldTex. Just don't use links to them. This place is for growing weed and you're welcome to do so as far as I have seen. It's ok to mention most things but don't go selling. If we cross lines a moderator will contact and explain.

Back
Top Bottom