Basically a newbie: help before I start my first grow?

SumoSan2323

420 Member
Hi! So, long story short, I'm new to growing (never done it before) and I'd like some recommendations for my grow setup! I plan on having a veg closet that's 2x6x6, and I basically have no idea how to set it up. My budget isn't tight, but I definitely can't afford top of the line equipment, so I guess I need some kind of middle ground priced lights, and ventilation for the veg closet. I plan on growing in soil, as it's the easiest and most forgiving of mistakes. I also plan on having a 5x5x6.5 flower room, and would like a little advice on that as well. I want to use LEDs, but am unsure of a decent priced LED. I've looked at lower end LEDs that cost 70-100$ and the big problem I seem to have with them is they definitely don't give off the wattage advertised. I think I settled on a bestva 1000w LED, I've read that they put out about 600w HID equivalent and pull about 200w from the wall. Is this accurate? And if it is, how many would I need for my flower tent? I'm also unsure of a good filtration system that won't break the bank. Do I just need one fan and filter to purify and pull the air out of the tent to outside? Would I need an additional fan and filter to purify air from a different room and pump it into the tent? Or is my 5x5 not big enough for all that to be necessary? Lastly, I plan on having a perpetual grow going, so after I get a mom going and clones whenever I need I would like to be harvesting once a month. What do I need to do for this to be possible? Would I need an additional 5x5 tent? Also, I know all of this takes time and patience, and I don't anticipate being able to be at the point where I can harvest once a month for a while but I want to know what steps I need to take to make that possible. Thank you for all your help!!! I appreciate any info I can get!

I plan on growing in soil, as it's the easiest and most forgiving of mistakes.
I think I settled on a bestva 1000w LED, I've read that they put out about 600w HID equivalent and pull about 200w from the wall. Is this accurate?
Everything I tried to grow in soil died a slow and lingering death.
I've already got much further in coco.

PS: Bestva burple will be poop (probably 50w-100w) ..... spend a bit more and get a HLG or Mars Hydro LED which actually tell you the truth about the wattage they will put out.

Everything I tried to grow in soil died a slow and lingering death.
I've already got much further in coco.

PS: Bestva burple will be poop (probably 50w-100w) ..... spend a bit more and get a HLG or Mars Hydro LED which actually tell you the truth about the wattage they will put out.
Thank you for your time and input! I'll probably wind up using Coco as well

I would consider HID, but I like how energy efficient the LEDs are. Would a 1000w HID pull 1000w from the wall?
Yes it would, but through an adjustable digital ballast...and the energy efficiency, well an LED that would match my 1000 watt with a foot print of 6 ft x 6 ft would not only cost well over a $1,000 bucks but still draw 750 watts from the wall...and you have to keep most of them LEDs 30 inches off the top of the canopy, that doesn't leave a lot of room in my tents to actually grow....you may as well cut 2.5 ft off the top of your tent...

This is my go to place, but they're not a sponsor so don't flash it around...a link to my 1000 watt light
Yield Lab 1000w HPS Cool Tube Hood Reflector Grow Light Kit

1000 watt lights.PNG

I would use a soilless media like Sunshine #4 or Pro Mix peat/perlite. It's a very low maintenance hydroponic method. I like to KISS. Remember it's a weed, and more plants are killed by kindness than neglect. I'm loving my new Budget 500 watt LED on my 4X4 SCROG.

Yes it would, but through an adjustable digital ballast...and the energy efficiency, well an LED that would match my 1000 watt with a foot print of 6 ft x 6 ft would not only cost well over a $1,000 bucks but still draw 750 watts from the wall...and you have to keep most of them LEDs 30 inches off the top of the canopy, that doesn't leave a lot of room in my tents to actually grow....you may as well cut 2.5 ft off the top of your tent...

This is my go to place, but they're not a sponsor so don't flash it around...a link to my 1000 watt light
Yield Lab 1000w HPS Cool Tube Hood Reflector Grow Light Kit

1000 watt lights.PNG
So do you think this lighting option will be good enough on its own for a 5x5 SOG?

Welcome @SumoSan2323 you're in the right place for lots of advice and opinions. I started growing in soil because I thought it was going to be easy and familiar and I learned that it was! I started with low end used Mars Hydro lights and some CFL monstrosities and found out they grow weed just fine. That bestva light will grow great weed, some people just think the light color is ugly. It's how you do it as much as what you do it with. And you DEFINITELY are in the right place to learn how to do that! CHeers mate, gl to your grow! :yahoo:

So do you think this lighting option will be good enough on its own for a 5x5 SOG?
more than enough it has a 6 x 6 foot print for flower and I run it in my 5 x 5

EDIT: What I was actually trying to say, but ended up side tracking myself, because for some reason I have short term memory loss, I can't remember why :lot-o-toke::lot-o-toke: Is that...that light would produce massive buds in a 5 x 5 scrog...I only have a 600 in my 4 x 4 and have harvested 34 Oz dried and cured off of 2 plants :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom