Bato/Dutch Bucket - 1st Time Grow

#1, #3 - Day 60, #4 - Day 31

- Felt plants were suffering big time with my one and only LED light, so added a new 400W MH bulb.. damn things are bright now :)
- Growth is looking super good
- Lucky enough to not experience any serious problems so far, besides a rough start

IMG_73215.JPG
IMG_73173.JPG
IMG_73156.JPG
IMG_73133.JPG
IMG_73116.JPG
IMG_73103.JPG

Things are starting to get crazy, seems like each time I take a peek they've grown!! Also drinking quite a bit of water, 1 1/2 inches each day on my big tote reservoir.

IMG_73286.JPG
IMG_73276.JPG

^ peas are getting crazy too and humping that LED light. I've stopped trying to train them back and would hope they would slow down the closer they got to the light.

Nice sammy , they really took off , its great see your having success with them ! Sweet

I tried to pm you but it seems your under the post count to receive pm's which gave me a good reason to visit your thread , glad I did its looking real happy in there !
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In reply to your post about light leaks , they have caused people problems alright but its to be expected the plants require total darkness for 12 hrs.

So light leaks must be addressed before flipping the lights , once they are its clear sailing.

The nice thing about PP plants is you get to choose how long and how big you want to grow the plant before flipping to bud mode , this means you can veg for 1 week or 1 year your choice each option will change the harvest size.

Feeling like a quick few oz's flip em fast or maybe you want a few pounds to last the year in that case flip them after 8 weeks.

Last grow I went 6 weeks before flipping and grew 12 oz plants.

Most people flip at 4 weeks for speed of turn over and it can produces 1/2 lb plants

Take it easy and happy wake n bake !

Unfortunately have encountered a pretty serious looking plant problem. See picture below:

IMG_73927.JPG
IMG_73906.JPG

Background:
- I use tap water ~150ppm as the source for my reserviour.
- Keep pH around the 6.0 mark.
- GH nutrients, kept in the 700-800ppm range.
- 1x 300W LED, 1x 400W MH
- 4 weeks into flowering
- No obvious plant problems up until this point besides more previous issues with LED light being too close

Places where I know I've gone wrong recently that could be sources of plant issues:
- A few times I've gotten lazy and let the reserviour levels drop too low causing the ppm to shoot into 900-1000 range.
- Have the LED 300w too close (12", running out of vertical room or would have it higher)

Additional info:
- There was a direct correlation observed that the spotting was occurring within the sweet spot of the 300W LED light.
- Has happened previously but to such a drastic extent and not on colas, only lower growth

My own hypothesis (from my reading online):
- Spotting looks close to Cal Mag deficiencies, but shouldn't be an issue with tap water, only RO?
- Could possibly be pH related, I only have been relying on pH colour indicator for analysis (room for error). Has been fairly close to 6.0+- 0.2.

- The main source of issue I believe is a combination of letting the nutrient ppm get too high and stress of having the LED light too close. The only problem is this current hypothesis doesn't fit with Cal Mag deficiency symptoms.

So my questions are, could a nutrient ppm spike + light stress manifest itself as a Cal Mag deficiency? Should I be supplementing with Cal Mag just incase, even though I use tap water?

Current plan of action is to keep on top topped off reserviour levels to avoid ppm spikes. Also I have done some musical chairs in the room to get a smaller plant under the LED light so it is not as close to the light.

Would appreciate advise.

From my experience with leds they make the plants use more Ca. I have my tent set up with my hid in the center and leds on each end. My plants get that spotting only where the leds hit, not the portion of the plants that are only hit by hid light. I use RO so a Ca/Mg additive is a necessity but i would think you'd need some for tap water as well.
I got sick a few weeks ago and let my water levels drop pretty far and i started getting this spotting badly the next day. Letting your levels get that low not only spike ppms but they can throw the ph out of whack. Ph fluctuations can lock out certain nutrients that can then look like a deficiency.
I flushed my root zone with plain water and remixed my rez. The leaves still look like shit but the new growth looks good.

"A house divided against itself cannot stand"

From my experience with leds they make the plants use more Ca. ..

Thanks for input Lazarus, might check into a little bit of supplementing with Cal Mag. Can't hurt! I believe after doing some musical chairs, moving LED bit higher up / turning off veg setting, keeping on top of reserviour and pH, things are not getting any worse and possibly improving in the affected area. Everywhere else looks good.

Trying out a new webcam in the room, quality is a little bit better but still over exposed on the buds:
Screen_Shot_2017-03-07_at_3_38_54_PM.png

Harvest day :) Never knew so much work was involved...

Plant #1: 456g
Plant #3: 444g
Plant #4: 162g
Total: 1062g wet weight

Just barely made it to finish line, there was definitely some plant issues presenting themselves. Affected bud size no doubt.

Journal complete :)

Hope all is well in your world.

Thanks for sharing this grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please feel free to start a new journal here: Journals in Progress

You can use the Report Post feature found at the bottom left of every post and we'll move it for you right away.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom